Jets Negotiating With Lazard [Signed 4 years $44M]

SR24

8 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

This isn't the Bengals asking Burrow if they should draft Chase or Sewell. I absolutely don't think it's reasonable for these decisions to be made in full or in part by a one-year rental. In this case, the player happens to be pretty good, so it's fine in the particulars if not in principle...unless, of course, Rodgers makes a Lazard acquisition a condition of agreeing to the trade, and Douglas is so cucked by him that he gives Lazard $40mm guaranteed. I guess we'll see.

For better or worse the Jets are all in on winning while they have Rodgers.  You can like that or not - but it's the reality.

And that being the case - getting Rodgers his guys is the absolute right way to go.  If you have some thing where you don't like the principle I guess that's fine but I'm not sure it amounts to anything other than perception.  

Moreover, if you're going to tell me Joe Douglas knows more about WR's than Aaron Rodgers, at this point in his career, I'll tell you you're probably mistaken.

This is not Joe Burrow in his 3rd year pretending he really understands the position.  A

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

i'm kind of meh on lazard.  hopefully they shed davis and bring lazard in for less money.  i fear last year's WR spending binge may drive up the price.  hopeful the market is more rational this year

he wont cost much.  probably being considered to make rodgers feel at home.  

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Lizard still has some speed.  I don't think we could trade Moore anyway because of cap ramifications.  Now Corey Davis on the other hand.....

There are no real cap ramifications with Moore. I don’t expect him to be traded because he’s young, talented, cheap, and should be a lot happier with LaFluer and Zach having been replaced. 

Corey Davis has no guarantees left and could be cut with $0 cap implications. But if GB is interested in him, packaging him as part of the deal gives them the player under contract, rather than having to negotiate with him in whatever today’s market is. It’s a move that makes a lot of sense. I never expected Davis to be on the roster this year. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

For better or worse the Jets are all in on winning while they have Rodgers.  You can like that or not - but it's the reality.

And that being the case - getting Rodgers his guys is the absolute right way to go.  If you have some thing where you don't like the principle I guess that's fine but I'm not sure it amounts to anything other than perception.  

Moreover, if you're going to tell me Joe Douglas knows more about WR's than Aaron Rodgers, at this point in his career, I'll tell you you're probably mistaken.

This is not Joe Burrow in his 3rd year pretending he really understands the position.  A

We should make Rodgers player-GM. Would probably help seal the deal, plus then even if he retires after a year, we’re still set for the next decade

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

I could still see the team adding Thielen too if the price is right.

Would make zero sense to sign two 12 mil WRs rather than going after another #1 like Hopkins....I don't see them going after another WR and I don't think it makes much sense to get rid of Moore whos on his rookie contract either.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

Not sure why any of you think JD is going to unload one of his former 2nd draft picks when his value is at its lowest. Moore will be here with a new coordinator and QB.

Because Malcontent, me first players that take their grievances public are not the type of player JD wants on the team.  

A guy that could be a lower key signing that I think would explode with Rodgers is Mike Gesicki. I know he’s one of those guys that doesn’t truly fit the TE position but he’s a weapon that would go off with the elite QB play that Rodgers is bringing to the table. Just get him on the field as a matchup nightmare and let AR12 take care of business

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

Not sure why any of you think JD is going to unload one of his former 2nd draft picks when his value is at its lowest. Moore will be here with a new coordinator and QB.

I don't think his value is at his lowest.  Many teams may blame Zach for Moores bad year.

If moore has a bad year with Rodgers, we get nothing for him next year. 

9 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

A guy that could be a lower key signing that I think would explode with Rodgers is Mike Gesicki. I know he’s one of those guys that doesn’t truly fit the TE position but he’s a weapon that would go off with the elite QB play that Rodgers is bringing to the table. Just get him on the field as a matchup nightmare and let AR12 take care of business

They just re structured their tight ends, plus drafted one last year.

I don't see them adding another one for at least another year.

23 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I'm not a cap guy but I don't see any "all in" moves that would put the teams in cap hell in 2 years....it may happen but none of these contracts or restructures are it.

3 minutes ago, undertow said:

I'm not a cap guy but I don't see any "all in" moves that would put the teams in cap hell in 2 years....it may happen but none of these contracts or restructures are it.

acquiring rodgers and his contract (even if restructured, unless he took a large paycut) will leave a cap hangover in a year or two.  rodgers has like $100 million due to him over the next 2 years, which means a big portion of that will ultimately end up as "dead cap space" to be taken either in the year he retires or split over the following 2 years after he retires.

the further assumption is that if the jets do acquire rodgers, they will make more "win now" moves, which in all likelihood leads to additional future cap issues.

now these may not be franchise crippling, and there are always was to kick the hits down the road, but sooner or later the bills come due, and for the jets, it could coincide with the time when they need to pay their young talent coming off rookie contracts.

• Post of the Week 1

25 minutes ago, undertow said:

There haven't been any moves yet other than a few restructures.  They haven't signed any free agents yet.

Let's see what the team looks like at the end of March.  You may be correct and they play this with an eye to when Rodgers is gone (I hope they do) I just don't see it though, nothing about this process tells me the Jets are acting responsibly.   

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Ignoring the Rodgers connection, AL upgrades our #2 over Davis. Regardless,  this is a good guy to sign.

ehhh no. He's not a bad signing, but this isn't true. He's not better than Davis, just injury prone and neither should be starting over E. Moore... he does bring RZ prowess however, and that's worth something. 

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Cobb is 32 and tiny - I hope he comes cheap if they're bringing him in.

Lazard is still 27 and 6'5" - smart move.

why do we want Cobb again?  Keep Moore. Forget Cobb unless it's part of sucking Aaron's shlong results. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

ehhh no. He's not a bad signing, but this isn't true. He's not better than Davis, just injury prone and neither should be starting over E. Moore... he does bring RZ prowess however, and that's worth something. 

One could make the argument they're about equal but his chemistry with Rodgers and ability to be productive in the redzone make him better than Davis.  Especially for a team that struggled mightily in that area last year. 

I agree that Moore should be a starter for this team, however i believe he is going to be traded either in the Rodgers deal, or later on to recoup draft capital.  

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

"Rodgers guys" produced a losing season and no playoffs last year.

If Rodgers was not the pending QB the Jets actively pursuing any of the guys we are talking about would be met with barf emojis.