### The Official Draft Day One Discussion Thread ###

Maxman

17 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

They have a two year window to win a ring with Rodgers. Two things win games in the NFL: QBs and guys who sack the QB. They just got a guy who will presumably help sack the QB. Do I love the pick? No. But I appreciate the philosophy behind it. Let Rodgers get the team ahead in games, then unleash a NASCAR package in the second half against the opposing QB. 

Kid won’t be up to speed until Rodgers is retired again waste.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

FWIW

I like this Will McDonald IV pick

he's got world-class bend and explosion, a finished spin move, and legitimate production 

I give JD and company alot of crap but this dude can play. He's not Gholston. He's got character. He's a clean prospect a little old but impressive 

Whether you take him at 15 or 25 this was a good pick and I'll go on record

So I feel like you're saying he's the Dewayne Robertson of edge rushers?  Well I'm sold.

• Haha 2

0:51

Pre-Draft Analysis

McDonald is a long and explosive edge rusher with good bend and closing burst. He has the foot speed to win with weave moves and flashes an effective spin move. He doesn't gear down when he gets double-teamed or doesn't win with his first move, and he frequently gets his hands up in passing windows. He's light for an edge defender and gives ground at times, but he shoots his hands and rarely stays blocked. He's rangy and closes well in pursuit. McDonald needs to get stronger to unlock his full potential as an edge rusher. -- Steve Muench

Matt Miller's NFL comp: Leonard Floyd

Post-Draft Analysis

After drafting Jermaine Johnson II with the third of three 2022 first-rounders, the Jets now select another speedy rusher in McDonald. He will likely compete with Carl Lawson for reps, and his first-step quickness and length are great for Robert Saleh's defense. McDonald can play standing up in space or down in a three-point stance. And he has the agility, length and hand-use tools to have an impact on passing downs. -- Miller

Projected Year 1 impact: Day 1 rotational contributor. McDonald can make an immediate impact by getting after the quarterback while developing into a starter early in his career. -- Muench

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Last year: D snaps

Carl Lawson 58%

JFM 56%

Jermaine johnson 28%

Micheal Clemons 28%

Bryce Huff 17%

This guy is going to play like 30% of the time due to our 'rotation'

Really a beyond idiotic pick.  Our very top DEs play less than 60% of the time and we use a 1st rounder on this dude.

Pathetic.

The guy will be playing OLB  if you think Sherwood and Quincy Williams are elite LOL.

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

He’s a better pass rusher than Nolan Smith who’s still available. Once all of the tackles were gone it was anyone’s guess. Bruce Irvin went aggressively early a decade ago and turned out to be pretty good and won a Super Bowl.

I think part of the issue here is that we were conditioned to believe that we were automatically taking another 1st round ol.  There’s nothing wrong with taking a pass rusher.  The jets d is not guaranteed to be top 5 again.  And they will go OL tomorrow.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, rtnelson said:

Watch his combine tape.  He reminds me of Sauce in a heavier frame.  I seriously think he's an OLB candidate.

I was thinking that also. Could be the OLB they are lacking. Primarily a rusher who can also play the run as a LB with his athleticism and reach. At 240 he wouldn't be a small lb.

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

FWIW

I like this Will McDonald IV pick

he's got world-class bend and explosion, a finished spin move, and legitimate production 

I give JD and company alot of crap but this dude can play. He's not Gholston. He's got character. He's a clean prospect a little old but impressive 

Whether you take him at 15 or 25 this was a good pick and I'll go on record

I don't know anything about him, so I'll defer to you. I barely heard of him cause its not a position I been paying attention to and figure we could have him in the second or trade down. I was shocked at 15 and just wanted something to help Rodgers.

You're the draft guy. You expecting him to put good weight on his frame at this point? Being an older prospect. Also you think he's going to have a meaningful impact with our pass rush rotation this year? We got a small window. This seems like a weird move if this is a long term project pick we reached on

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Huff played about 16% of the D snaps last year.  This is the whole issue johnson and clemons were like 25% of the snaps.

oh well it is what it is.

and the defense was really good last year

some were worried about regression on the defense.  getting a top pass rusher in the draft helps keep this an elite defense.

i don't hate the pick.  as i said earlier, many would have been happy with nolan smith.  smith is smaller, and last i checked, is still on the board.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

But isn’t he going to play wide 9 and basically be another Bryce Huff rotational pass rusher type? Is it the end of the world if he is a bit undersized?

Yes, because you don’t draft a rotational pass rusher like Bryce Huff, but seriously undersized, with a top 15 pick.