### The Official Draft Day One Discussion Thread ###

Maxman

17 minutes ago, Warfish said:

"Pressure" as a stat is borderline meaningless.  It does not carry with it any actual success for the outcome of the play itself.

A QB can be "pressured" and complete a 75 yard TD pass.

A QB can be "pressured" and run for an 80 yard TD.

I would just ask, is this guys magic "bend" enough to overcome being undersized, too slow, having to change positions, learn how to play the run and only be a rotational player on Saleh's rotational system?  I fear we've just drafted another Darren Lee of sorts.

And I'm really disappointed we could have finally addressed WR in a long term way, pairing Wilson with JSN as our #1 and #2, and just didn't, for a guy who was a reach at that pick.  With the Jets it's always Defense first, always.  Defensive Head Coaches, Defense for top #1 picks, and the Offense always seem to languish.  Of course, I also lack the faith so many do in Lazard and Hardaman and Davis (?) being great WR's just because Rodgers is here.  I do very much hope I'm wrong on this pick, but feels like a miss to me.

I've freely admitted - and always will - that I don't know dick about these guys as prospects. So I won't argue the point with you as I'm unable to do so. I'd have been very happy with a WR pick, but that's a position not a player. 

Anyway we both hope it's the right pick because what you said up top has to also be known to Saleh et all. They were so often getting pressure and still giving up 3rd down conversions through the air - including longer such conversions when we were banking on an upcoming punt - so I don't know that I agree (with some others) that this was a pure 100% BAP pick independent of need. This is a pick designed to seal the deal those mere pressures didn't. Also it's doubly designed to keep fresh young legs running after the QB in those last 2-5 minutes of the game when everyone else is gassed, which is Saleh's rotational thing, even if I still think it's a lot of resources being repeatedly used for one end/edge position. Giving high picks to one group necessarily takes away from another, unless one is a savant at filling those others on day 3 or something. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Scoop24 said:

right now i cant see the path to getting this kid a meaningful amount of snaps (see jj)  i think thats what bothers me the most.. maybe finally Move JFM back to DT?

I think he’s got a more defined skill set than Johnson. Johnson is a strong, fast, linear, high motor player. He was probably better as an edge setter against the run than a pass rusher, but was still a rookie and not ideal there - so he was hard to find snaps. Probably part of why he fell.

McDonald just goes on the edge on passing downs across from Huff and you let him rip. Work on bulking him up and getting him better against the run in practice and hopefully he’s the replacement for Lawson. If he can be the primary edge rusher who can also play base it lets everyone else fall into place in the rotation.

42 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

His "we let the draft come to us" comment in his presser was a bit preposterous.

The last two drafts they've been champs at NOT letting the draft come to them. They didn't just trade up for JJII, but iirc he later admitted he'd unsuccessfully been trying to trade up for that player since he dropped to pick #15. That's not letting the draft come to you. Neither is trading up for a RB at the top of round 2. Neither is trading two 3rd rounders to move up into the top 15 overall for a guard in a deep OL-rich draft. 

This may very end up being a great pick with a lot of fans eating their words, or sealing the deal in an important game that makes you forget about the inefficiency of throwing too many resources at one position. But even with his very recent 2022 draft success, the idea that Joe Douglas was just floating - that it's his thing to just let the draft come to him (especially outside the top 10 overall picks) - is laughable if not outright gaslighting. 

Bringing your A game for the draft!  Excellent post!

8 hours ago, David Harris said:

I think it will come back to bite them. You get the QB but then trade next year’s first for a non QB when you’re one of the worst teams in the NFL and will be starting a rookie quarterback?!

Don’t know if it’s been discussed but it could be Cleveland’s 1st they gave up. Or the worse of their own and Cleveland. 

11 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Crosby was their entire dline him and wilson should be a formidable duo.

Chandler Jones started to pick it up at the end of the season.    He becomes just situational pass rusher . You put Crosby   T Wilson (move inside on obvious passing downs- plays opposite Crosby on the run downs  , Jerry Tillery ( can’t stop the run but very effective rushing the passer, and Chandler Jones that’s a very formidable group coming  after the Qb on obvious passing downs.  
just had a lot of injuries at Cb last year and if you don’t get the pass coverage it doesn’t matter what you have rushing the passer.    They work hand in hand. 

31 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

People are acting like JD reached for the 3rd best safety at 15.   Speed off the edge wasn’t only a huge need, it’s a premium position as well.  OL can still be addressed via the draft and through camp cuts and FA.   

It’s nice that we’re so spoiled now, when we used to take ILB/S/run stuffing DTs in the first round.  Now we take a legitimate edge rusher and we’re still whining. 

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Find me one player, in the modern era, with his measurements, that went on to become an effective pass rusher in the NFL.

apologies as I’m doing this on my iPad while waiting for my car to be serviced so formatting may be screwed up

just a couple off the top of my mind, with the caveat that obviously no two players are exactly alike  but all the below had knocks of being undersized and lacking strength to set the edge coming out of college  

Hanson reddick

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/haason-reddick/32005245-4432-4095-207d-440aa35fb3ac

leonard floyd

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/leonard-floyd/3200464c-4f75-8060-5a6d-d3aabc3c32e2

randy gregory

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/randy-gregory/32004752-4578-9590-e57a-049e4cdc3700

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

It’s nice that we’re so spoiled now, when we used to take ILB/S/run stuffing DTs in the first round.  Now we take a legitimate edge rusher and we’re still whining. 

I just don’t get who the players the Jets passed on would have been so much better value.   JSN, Flowers, Addison?   Those guys are going to have to live in the slot in the NFL, not exactly a huge need or fit for the Jets offense.   It’s hardly a deep draft, taking an explosive edge wasn’t a poor decision.   

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Maybe? Obviously, I hated the pick swap, but taking the EDGE guy is in line with Douglas going for premium positions in the first. I don’t think he opened up the mock draft simulator to find the next guy. 

No way of knowing where he would have gone if we didn’t take him. There were 3 other edges taken in the 1st round so at a minimum those teams could have been interested in him, positionally. Plus of course other teams that may have had him high on their boards but went another way once we took him. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I just don’t get who the players the Jets passed on would have been so much better value.   JSN, Flowers, Addison?   Those guys are going to have to live in the slot in the NFL, not exactly a huge need or fit for the Jets offense.   It’s hardly a deep draft, taking an explosive edge wasn’t a poor decision.   

It really was a crappy 1st round.  And what many here don’t realize is that even if the jets kept pick 13, there was still a chance the Steelers traded up to 12 to get the OL anyway.  The jets could have been in the same situation anyway.  

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

His "we let the draft come to us" comment in his presser was a bit preposterous.

The last two drafts they've been champs at NOT letting the draft come to them. They didn't just trade up for JJII, but iirc he later admitted he'd unsuccessfully been trying to trade up for that player since he dropped to pick #15. That's not letting the draft come to you. Neither is trading up for a RB at the top of round 2. Neither is trading two 3rd rounders to move up into the top 15 overall for a guard in a deep OL-rich draft. 

This may very end up being a great pick with a lot of fans eating their words, or sealing the deal in an important game that makes you forget about the inefficiency of throwing too many resources at one position. But even with his very recent 2022 draft success, the idea that Joe Douglas was just floating - that it's his thing to just let the draft come to him (especially outside the top 10 overall picks) - is laughable if not outright gaslighting. 

Dude they saw Pittsburgh jump in front of us and literally let that make a wish kid decide. Kid was fire, but his pick was strange. They didn't know what to do after the last draftable lineman went away. 

• Thumb Down 1

18 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

would you had taken Murphy over him ?

Just now, Scoop24 said:

would you had taken Murphy over him ?

Hell no.  Myles is a great kid, really good player, but not nearly as explosive as Macdonald is.   The Jets need speed rushers desperately, Macdonald provides that.   Myles will be solid, he just won’t jump off the screen and make you say Wow a lot.   

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SayNoToDMC said:

Dude they saw Pittsburgh jump in front of us and literally let that make a wish kid decide. Kid was fire, but his pick was strange. They didn't know what to do after the last draftable lineman went away. 

Yeah that's just the most unlikely take on what happened, no matter how many say it out of frustration.

Lol at the idea that they crammed for the test and felt they didn't grade anyone past slot 13 until late last night. 

I was surprised by the position/pick as well, but the reality is when Green Bay was on the clock at #13 - before NE's trade-down - the Jets:

1. already knew Pittsburgh had been inquiring about moving up for at tackle (even into the top 10)
  2. had 3-4 starter-worthy tackles on the roster (even if AVT is actually the OT3)
  3. had no edge rushers capable of double digit sacks

You may hate the pick - you may even be right to hate it - but there's a legitimate reason behind it beyond the idea they simply got pantsed because they only had 14 prospects on their draft board & didn't know what to do at 15.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, derp said:

Yup, again - conceptually my preference was them waiting on tackle and taking one later (like today).

But ultimately, they have their plans. And if their plan was to acquire a tackle in the first round this year and they were unable to execute that plan because they made that obvious to the entire NFL, the self-inflicted inability to execute that plan is a problem.

I don’t want the front office to be unable to execute their plans, even if they wouldn’t be my plans.

Not sure what you mean by making their plan to take on OT obvious to the entire nfl.  As far as I know, JD never said we want an OT in R1. Anyone looking at the depth chart would know OT could be a need for this team. 

1 hour ago, Sammybighead said:

He clearly was their BPA, whether you like it or not. 

BTW, I have no problem with you hating the pick because there was someone else your preferred, I'm with ya there. But saying the kid stinks before he plays a down in the nfl is ridiculous. None of us have a clue, and I can't stand when people crush these kids in their rookie year. 

Clearly he was and, yes, I think that is a bad evaluation.

As for the 2nd part?  If the player has a late 1st - early 2nd round grade, I don’t like the tape, and I don’t like his weaknesses, which are compounded by his underwhelming size, I just can’t get behind blindly hoping he’s going to be a good player.  Like I said, I am going to root for him.  I just think it was a bad pick that we will end up regretting.  Nothing about him excites me or makes me feel like it was good, or even decent, pick.  I hope I’m wrong.

8 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

When the best receiver in the draft was staring thdm in the face.  Just awful.  Rodgers should quit tomorrow.

Based on last year's draft esp players the Jets org liked mostly turned out to be overachievers like Breece Hall. And he was from Iowa State same as McDonald and probably the most underrated player last season Brock Purdy. So JD likes Iowa State he probably has good contacts there and decided to draft this guy at 15.