The Becton haters have to be at least a little bit nervous at this point, right?

Good for him.

Maybe he was just an immature kid at 21, and not at 24 he is a more mature adult who realizes this is a JOB, and it requires a lot of work.

Or, maybe he is a guy who puts in the work when he needs a contract, and then shuts it down.  I'm hoping for the first one, I hope he does well, and becomes a force in the league for years. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

People say that about Benigno but it's simply not true.  If you followed him last year when they were winning, he praised them.  He said that the "big box teams" (his phrase) like Denver, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, etc wished they had as much talent as the Jets did.  He even defended ZW for a while (when they were winning), saying that the team wins with him.  

Beningo said that the win over Denver was one of the biggest wins he has seen because that was normally a game the Jets lose. Beningo gets a lot of unnecessary sh!t. We can both agree that he can be a bit reactionary from week to week. For example, he was banging the table for Flacco to start and then quickly changed his tune. He bleeds Jets green, and so do I. He is flawed, but so am I.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

42 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

NOBODY HATES BECTON. 100% of us want Becton to play, go to the pro bowl and be a first team all pro. Stop! Please stop!

His personality alone gives him pretty much zero chance of being a starting lineman. Regardless of the last two years where he’s been too out of shape to compete, year 1 he was pulling himself out of games which is the ultimate no-no for the Oline. Let’s see him get through every practice this year during the summer and maybe then we can see if he’s changed or not. Generally it doesn’t work out that way.

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

You are what the back of your football card says you are. The best ability is availability. 

New York Jets (NFL), #77
Position: OT
Height: 6-7    Weight: 363
Birthdate: April 18, 1999
College: Louisville
Draft: Selected by the New York Jets in the 1st round (11th overall) of the 2020 NFL Draft

2020 NY Jets NFL 14 13

The 14 is games and the 13 is game starts 

2021 NY Jets NFL 1 1

The 1 is games and the other 1 is game starts

0 stats for 2022.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

He's gone either way.

No way they trust this guy with a second contract.

That's the biggest shame of this whole thing.  Becton has the potential to own this league.  All he had to do was care enough to put in the work.  Now you cannot trust him to stay motivated unless the contract has a weekly weigh in or some other ridiculous clause that professional athletes shouldn't have to be subjected to.

Becton is a recent new father who’s just turned the ripe old age of 24. He’s allegedly down to around 340lbs or so after being drafted at 367 and probably over 400 last year. It’s possible that he’s just growing up a little bit with a wife and a son, recognizing that these are his earning years and he had better get his **** together. It’s a thing that happens with young people sometimes. 

He has to prove it on the field this year, absolutely. If he’s very good and healthy all season, I doubt anything is off the table for him and the Jets next year. The non-exclusive tag could easily be an option. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

I'm definitely rooting for Becton to turn it around this year, but we do know that this is literally the third consecutive year of hearing the narrative of the supposed great improvements in his health/condition.

Sure, in 2021 he initially got criticized when looking out of shape during the offseason, but then the finger-wagging towards those observations started when he reportedly looked to be in much-improved shape by the time camp came around.  Then he played one game before getting hurt and his continually talked about return "in a few weeks" simply never happened.  Then in 2022 it was all about how it was really different this time and he was in completely improved physical condition, and yet we never even saw him once.

I'll be thrilled if he turns it all around this year, but it's been proven repeatedly any of what's being talked about right now is mostly meaningless.  The truth is even if he is in the best shape of his life, we have no way of knowing whether that will make any difference at all to what he can/cannot do, as we've seen countless instances of injury-prone NFL players over the years that had literally nothing to do with physical conditioning.

So the lazy, fat guy decided the hell with the team.  Why would I get in shape for the measley $18.5 MM they paid me.  Yes, he was injured, but how did his lack of proper rehab and the extra 50 pounds impact his likelihood of injury?  How did that extra 50 pounds slow him down chasing speed rushers bent on decapitating our QB. 

Somebody reminded him, if he got in shape, he would make a lot of money.

So while I am excited at the current version of Becton, I am disgusted that he got away with being morbidly overweight and did little to no rehab from his 1st injury.

Consider what he might have meant to a 2023 team that was 7-4.  We were in so many games.  He could have reduced the pressure on our QB's quite a bit over the 5th string OT or an injured Brown.  He could have consistently destroyed DE's, leading an unstoppable running attack.  The combination of the two could have given our QB's quite a bit better chance of succeeding.  That would have rested our stellar, but overworked defense.

So let's not praise the guy who failed this team miserably for 3 years.  

I hope he is an All Pro this year.  I would franchise him.  If he repeats, I would franchise him again.  As soon as this guy gets his next long term contract, he will revert to player who did not do his work for 3 years.  Keep him if he plays well but never give this guy more than 1 year at a time.

13 hours ago, David Harris said:

I’m annoyed at your title- assuming anyone that has had any doubts about a professional athlete that let himself get to 400+ pounds after a year of “rehab”

Talk is cheap.

See you in September. 

19 minutes ago, slats said:

Becton is a recent new father who’s just turned the ripe old age of 24. He’s allegedly down to around 340lbs or so after being drafted at 367 and probably over 400 last year. It’s possible that he’s just growing up a little bit with a wife and a son, recognizing that these are his earning years and he had better get his **** together. It’s a thing that happens with young people sometimes. 

He has to prove it on the field this year, absolutely. If he’s very good and healthy all season, I doubt anything is off the table for him and the Jets next year. The non-exclusive tag could easily be an option. 

The problem is that pretty much none of the other top O Linemen taken recently needed to "grow up", get in shape, learn to be a pro, have children, or any other absurd excuses to meet minimum benchmarks that are typically basic expectations for a First round pick. Dude is lazy and whinges when faced with expectations. sh*t or get off the pot. Dudes been a waste of a roster spot for 2 of his 3 years, has been paid millions of dollars, and Simps here still cry about "Haters". 

Pathetic.

• Upvote 4

12 hours ago, rldev said:

People on this board decide they don't like players the day they are drafted. They spit hatred, vitriol and ill will. It's not unique. It's true in every fan base. For some, being right trumps everything. 

What a load of bull.  The fans want the player to be a star.  If the player fails due to a lack of talent, it's bad.  If he fails due to a lack of effort, he is garbage.

Becton showed up his rookie year overweight and out of shape.  That is why he broke down as the year progressed.  He returned, year two, heavier.  His injury would have occurred anyway but he was poorly prepared to help this team.  After a whole year off to rehab, he refused to come to voluntary camp, assuring the Jets that he was ready to go.  He showed up over 400 pounds.  All that extra weight on an injured knee and lack of hard rehab contributed to his injury as soon as practice started.  His loss could easily have been the reason we did not make the playoffs.  Imagine what a monster O/T, versus a 5th stringer, could have done to protect our QB and power an unstoppable running game.  

It is insulting to blame the fans for their frustration with players who don't do their job.  He got $18.5 MM to stay in shape and play the game.  He took the money and didn't do the work.  That is, until the money was running out and he wanted more.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

The problem is that pretty much none of the other top O Linemen taken recently needed to "grow up", get in shape, learn to be a pro, have children, or any other absurd excuses to meet minimum benchmarks that are typically basic expectations for a First round pick. Dude is lazy and whinges when faced with expectations. sh*t or get off the pot. Dudes been a waste of a roster spot for 2 of his 3 years, has been paid millions of dollars, and Simps here still cry about "Haters". 

Pathetic.

It does suck. He got hurt and he got fat. He heard such a barrage of **** from his team’s fans that he showed up for a press conference wearing a Big Bust t-shirt. It simply has not been a good start to his career. There’s little doubt that he has some maturity issues but, again, he just turned 24. 

What other players do or did is irrelevant to what Becton may do this season. He certainly doesn’t look lazy right now. He’s pretty much lived at the facility since he went down and hasn’t left. He appears to be on track for a starting job, maybe even at LT, after fans last year were declaring that he’d never step on the field again. I’m looking forward to seeing how he looks in the field this year and, if it looks like a continuation/improvement of his rookie year, I’ll probably like to see him extended somehow. But, of course, we need to see it first. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

It does suck. He got hurt and he got fat. He heard such a barrage of **** from his team’s fans that he showed up for a press conference wearing a Big Bust t-shirt. It simply has not been a good start to his career. There’s little doubt that he has some maturity issues but, again, he just turned 24. 

What other players do or did is irrelevant to what Becton may do this season. He certainly doesn’t look lazy right now. He’s pretty much lived at the facility since he went down and hasn’t left. He appears to be on track for a starting job, maybe even at LT, after fans last year were declaring that he’d never step on the field again. I’m looking forward to seeing how he looks in the field this year and, if it looks like a continuation/improvement of his rookie year, I’ll probably like to see him extended somehow. But, of course, we need to see it first. 

I have the ominous feeling that Becton, in shape and all, will play well early on, with lots of praise from the fans....  but then will get hurt again.  I guess I'm a SOJ.

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

I was an NCO in charge of 9 people's lives at 24, getting paid about $19K a year. ? . Don't want to hear this crap

• Sympathy 3

16 hours ago, AFJF said:

Becton Haters ?? I'm not sure anyone "Hates" Becton and I'm also not sure if Becton was doing well, losing weight and getting in better shape, any Jets fan hater or skeptic would be disappointed. 

Personally, my take on it was if Becton did not lose some weight and kept pushing the 400 mark there was no way in hell he was going to be able to carry that weight and play either Tackle position without serious Impact on his body which would cause major problems and probably shorten his career.

Now that the guy  is getting it together I'm thrilled about his potential to not only stay healthy but to better deal with speed rushers 

• Upvote 2

A lot of people here really pushing the narrative that 'nobody hates Becton'.  I will admit that most of the comments in the past have absolutely been in line with "I don't trust him but I hope he surprises me" but there have definitely been outright spiteful posts from people who do seem more invested in negativity than any possibility he bounces back from the injuries.  A sampling (no names) below.  Interestingly, I don't think any of these posters have said a word in this thread, so it's basically the supporters and legitimate skeptics denying this ever happened.

he's a fat waste. dudes career is over. if you are hoping on him to be anything then you are hoping for a lost cause. unfortunately cant even cut his fat ass for any cap savings so we are stuck with him 1 more year

he is a monster bust as is wilson

joe set us back 3-5 years with those picks

I will say this.  If JD refuses to admit his two early colossal mistakes with Becton and Wilson and move on, he will be signing his own expulsion papers.

Any time and money JD puts into those two players in order to prove he was right, is not only wasted effort, but it will be a disastrous impediment to forward progress.

How is the story not over for Becton? At this point he’s the equivalent of the 7th book in the Dune series where Frank Herbert was dead and his children were writing sh*t that nobody was even reading. 

What Jets fan wants to see Becton fail, especially with Rodgers now in the fold?
The supposed “Becton haters” have simply pointed out the obvious with the guy.
To this point, he’s proven to be a fat, thin skinned puss who can’t stay on the field.
I don’t care about him suddenly getting back into shape with the offseason activities about to kick into full swing. He did the same sh*t last year. And now it’s do or die for him. He’d have to have rocks in his skull where his brain should be to not be motivated.
Stay on the field, play at a high level and maintain a proper weight and then Jets fans won’t constantly sh*t on your face.
Simple, really.
Every word true.....

Except the "he did the same thing last year" part. He wasn't close to this kind of shape last year.

Not....even......close

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.