Happy Juneteenth!!!

34 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

This post should be removed it is far too political.

While acknowledging that Juneteenth has now become a national holiday, it was done in response to another highly political situation the  George Floyd Riots, but the idea/day has been around a long time.

It is important to remember the historical context surrounding this significant day and that is very much controversial and political in itself. Juneteenth was literally when the military arrived to inform slaves of their freedom because their democrat slave owners never told them they had been freed by two years earlier by Republicans. 

Again all of this is to politically charged and I don't think this is the place for it. Best left for in depth discussion elsewhere.

Please remove @Maxman or mods. 

oof

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Well then I must ask if you’ve ever been to a Juneteenth BBQ my fat friend.  Soul food >>> all other food.  

Partial to Mexican cuisine (not talking Tex-Mex here) but soul food also amazing

• Post of the Week 1

53 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

While acknowledging that Juneteenth has now become a national holiday, it was done in response to another highly political situation the  George Floyd Riots, but the idea/day has been around a long time.

It is important to remember the historical context surrounding this significant day and that is very much controversial and political in itself. Juneteenth was literally when the military arrived to inform slaves of their freedom because their democrat slave owners never told them they had been freed by two years earlier by Republicans. 

Again all of this is to politically charged and I don't think this is the place for it. Best left for in depth discussion elsewhere.

When will JFK emerge from fake Biden ?

• More Ugh 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

nice comment the slight racism for not blindly kissing the boot enough. 

Again really should close this politically charged post. 

Just to point out the reason some don't know the holiday is pretty in-depth discussion but basically its because this forced holiday has issues because of today political narrative on race relations being so bad today when obviously it is nothing compared to yesteryears in our nations history. 

As someone mentioned already you can look it up, but for Jets nation sake I'm pretty sure we don't need the  nonchalant racism towards American citizen. No human should be attacked based on the color of their skin, include "white" @Ghost420

Bro it was a joke. It's not that serious. What was racist about what I said? 🤣 

1 hour ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Yes mods please remove @BornJetsFan1983 from all future threads. Thank you and Happy Emancipation Day which is what it should have been called to clearly identify its place in American history.  

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1

4 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Yes mods please remove @BornJetsFan1983 from all future threads. Thank you and Happy Emancipation Day which is what it should have been called to clearly identify its place in American history.  

I understand the sentiment, but then people would confuse it with the date of the Emancipation Proclamation.

Juneteenth seems fine to me.  

15 minutes ago, freestater said:

Not a fake holiday. Celebrating the end of human bondage is the greatest reason for celebration ever conceived. I never knew about Juneteenth growing up but I'm grateful to have learned about it later in life. I'm  with @The Crusher just another day for great food and gathering!

In!! 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I understand the sentiment, but then people would confuse it with the date of the Emancipation Proclamation.

Juneteenth seems fine to me.  

No because its clear and precise - how would that be confusing?   it wouldn't be called Emancipation Proclamation Day. 75% of this country has no idea what this day is about.  

1 minute ago, Maynard13 said:

No because it’s clear and precise - how would that be confusing?   it wouldn't be called Emancipation Proclamation Day. 75% of this country has no idea what this day is about.  

No way there are that many old people left that don’t  use the Google yet. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

No way there are that many old people left that don’t  use the Google yet. 

In all honesty, it was always a Texas thing. Kind of like Patriots Day in Massachusetts (The Lexington/Concord thing, not the Cheats)...

Shrugs GIF

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

FIFY

Thank you. I was going to comment on the complete failure to understand that party names evolved over the course of a century and a half and the parties with the designations of Republican and Democrat today bear virtually no relation to those of the same names in the 19th century. Personally, I affiliate  with the Democrat-Republican Party. We're still roasting John Adams for the Alien Sedition Act. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Good day for reflection whether working or not and regardless of your race, similar to MLK Day that lots have to work on. 

I was luckily able to attend a virtual tour of the African American Smithsonian exhibit today led by my company's African Heritage Business Resource Group so I could at least participate/learn something.  

Excellent article, and a long overdue day to reflect on our own personal investment in the equal opportunities sorely lacking within our inner cities. 

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/restoring-america/patriotism-unity/all-americans-should-celebrate-juneteenth-in-light-of-july-4th

On Philadelphia’s famed Liberty Bell, one can find the inscription, “Proclaim liberty throughout all the land unto all the inhabitants thereof." The quotation comes from the Bible in Leviticus 25:10. That verse speaks of the Year of Jubilee, a time in ancient Israel when debts were forgiven, ancestral property returned, and slaves were freed.

It is a fit and right verse for Juneteenth , which we celebrate on Monday. Juneteenth only became a federal holiday in 2021, but its roots go back to the end of the American Civil War . It originated in Galveston, Texas, when, on June 19, 1865, the just-arrived Union army announced to the state’s 250,000 enslaved persons that they were free. Annual celebrations quickly arose within the African-American community and have continued up to the present day.

Making Juneteenth a national holiday does more than give official recognition to this cherished part of African-American history. It establishes a more complete picture of America’s pursuit of its ideals. In his Gettysburg Address, President Abraham Lincoln described America as a nation “conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.” 

Our founding ideals were not celebrations of a perfectly realized now. Instead, they were prescriptions, the setting of a standard by which we would measure ourselves, by which we would seek to preserve what we already had achieved and to reform where we fell short.

Juneteenth comes 14 days before July 4, the day on which we celebrate these ideals as articulated in the Declaration of Independence. That charter, Thomas Jefferson would say, described the “American mind,” providing a key to our self-understanding. This self-understanding articulated a belief in human equality, especially in the possession of natural rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. It also posited the government’s obligation to protect that equality and to preserve those rights.

In 1776, we had taken great strides toward realizing these commitments. But we still failed miserably on the issue of race-based chattel slavery. Despite many efforts, the institution remained, receding in the North but entrenching in the South. It treated enslaved humans like animals and trained masters in the cruel arts of despotism. Historically, then, July 4 was not separated from Juneteenth by 14 days but by 89 years. They were separated, too, by immense oppression, greed, and bloodshed.

Yet, at great cost, America removed the evil of race-based slavery from our midst. The Civil War and its attending constitutional amendments cemented in practice our theoretical commitments. We further fought slavery’s lingering grip in the form of legal racial segregation. The Civil Rights Movement of the 1950s and 1960s called us to a better fidelity — for America, as MLK said, to “live out the true meaning of its creed.”

In 1852, Frederick Douglass famously asked, “What to the slave is the Fourth of July?” Juneteenth provides the answer. Though late in time, liberty was proclaimed to the captives. June 19th celebrates that milestone, redeeming July 4th celebrations by fulfilling its inherent promise.

Juneteenth also calls on us to continue in the spirit it shares with July 4th. We must, as Lincoln urged his hearers at Gettysburg, rededicate ourselves to the principles of Independence Day and their realization on Juneteenth.

Some have called for linking the two holidays. They have suggested calling the time between June 19th and July 4th a “Fortnight of Freedom.”We would do well to heed this call. Let us remember the great cost separating the two. Let us celebrate the great unity found between them. Let us spend the next two weeks proclaiming liberty to all.

CLICK HERE TO READ MORE FROM RESTORING AMERICA

To the captive around the world, let that proclamation give hope. To the free here, let that proclamation give rise to gratitude and renewed dedication.

Adam Carrington is assistant professor of politics at Hillsdale College

• Upvote 4

57 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Thank you. I was going to comment on the complete failure to understand that party names evolved over the course of a century and a half and the parties with the designations of Republican and Democrat today bear virtually no relation to those of the same names in the 19th century. Personally, I affiliate  with the Democrat-Republican Party. We're still roasting John Adams for the Alien Sedition Act. 

I am a Whig.

• Haha 3