Do we draft a QB in the first round?

Tezza

Do we draft a QB in the first round?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Do we draft a QB in the first round?

• Yes (sit behind a future HOF'r and have insurance if Rodgers gets injured again)
    • No (we need OL)
    • No (We need another position - not OL/QB)

Douglas and Saleh are not in any position to draft a QB in round 1 and “hope” they can develop him for the future.

They will be in a must win situation.

Their jobs are on the line next year, and will pour every available resource into helping Rogers attempt to create what we haven’t had all year……..an NFL offense.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

As I said the year we drafted Wilson.  People act as if each draft is 'THE' draft for QBs and no more good ones will be available.

There is no chance they take a qb in the first nor should they.   They for sure should draft one but later on and I actually think there are going to be some good mid to late round QB prospects this year.

• Upvote 3

The team made a huge commitment to trying to win with Rodgers. I don't see Douglas giving that up especially with glaring needs at OL and WR. 

I have mixed views here. I think the prudent thing to do is patch up the offense and try to make something out of the Rodgers experiment. If it collapses but the team has a good OL and receiver group, there are options to look for another vet and/or draft a QB. If the Jets draft a QB and he works out, he's still running for his life behind this broken OL. OTOH, if Douglas can fix roster problems in FA, this is a good draft to try to find a QB. I wouldn't be on board for taking a QB in the first without the other problems solved. A third round OT isn't going to be ready to shore up the OL by next September.

17 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Yes if we finish with a top 2 pick or Maye slides

I think if this happens, we have to take a QB.  I don't think it happens.  

I think there are 2 good practical reasons NOT to take a QB in round 1:

• There is the potential for a 2024 that is not a complete trainwreck, again.  That requires an OT and a WR.  It does not require a rookie QB. 
  • Without more supporting cast members a new QB is destined to fail.  2025 and possible 2026 can be rebuilding years writing off the Rodgers hangover.   There really is not a situation where a rookie QB contract can be capitalized upon.  I would build a team, use the year after Rodgers retires as a rebuild year with a temporary McCown like starter, and then look to draft a QB or sign a Carr type. 

• Upvote 2

This is a good year to take A QB take one and stop with this Rodgers foolishness.

Ancient AR was never going to compete with the talented  young AFC QBs. Each

weekend I plan my college football viewing around the top  QBs coming out.

Caleb has Josh Allen type arm and Lamar Jackson Mobility.  The  NC kid reminds

me of Herbert.  Penix has a Howitzer and touch.  Nix has a solid arm and a nice

feel for the game and is an excellent processor. I haven't seen much of Daniels

because I can't stand Kelly and LSU. Lets lose the rest and get rid of the fat dope

and his Pablum coach and hire some offensive minds

• Upvote 1

Unless things drastically they could easily be sitting with a top five pick.  I don’t know a thing about college football or the players but given that Rodgers will be qb next season they could easily trade down and use their first rounder on oline or wr and then the additional pick on oline.  They can also use a late round pick on a qb.  They can pick up a free agent vet to be back up if the Zach experiment is truly over.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

He will be the next Stroud. Even throws like him.  If we get a high pick and miss out on the top 2 QB's, trade back a bit and grab Daniels with their pick in round 1. 

I genuinely don’t think come draft day trading back and taking him will be an option, but we’ll see. Depends where they land a little.

Situation reminds me of where they were at in 2017, a little different but not a ton. But in terms of there being reasons not to take the QB, the reasons just aren’t good from a big picture standpoint and it’ll be easy to regret it. Think it’ll look similar in a few years.

Maybe Daniels doesn’t do well, I’m not certain. But love the track record of improvement, production, and tools. He’s been involved in a whole lot of big plays this year for LSU.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, rangerous said:

Unless things drastically they could easily be sitting with a top five pick.  I don’t know a thing about college football or the players but given that Rodgers will be qb next season they could easily trade down and use their first rounder on oline or wr and then the additional pick on oline.  They can also use a late round pick on a qb.  They can pick up a free agent vet to be back up if the Zach experiment is truly over.

There is a thought.  Trade down (if possible) for a 2025 1st plus what ever else we can get for 2024, and earmark 2025 for our next QB.  Assuming we are picking in the top 5 that might turn out to be quite a haul.  This way we avoid the AR8 angst and still get some needed 2025 ammo.     

10 hours ago, Happy Clouds said:

Douglas and Saleh are not in any position to draft a QB in round 1 and “hope” they can develop him for the future.

They will be in a must win situation.

Their jobs are on the line next year, and will pour every available resource into helping Rogers attempt to create what we haven’t had all year……..an NFL offense.

With the same urgency as last yr in the first round right ? Lol 

9 hours ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

No.

we’re all in babaye.

these guys can’t develop a QB.

unless Bruce Arians walks into Florham, go get a can’t miss tackle or pass-catching playmaker.

Giants thought they picked a “ can’t miss OT “ 7 overall last yr and he blows. There is no sure thing at any position.

• Upvote 2

Marvin Harrison Jr is talking like he might go back to OSU for his senior season. Dumb move on his part but that does take one of the top 3 picks off the board. 

Caleb Williams is a head case, wants ownership of his next team, and has a list of teams he will and won’t play for. And he probably isn’t the best QB in the draft anyways. It’s probably a good thing we don’t have to draft him. 

Either Maye or Daniels, are the guys we need to draft, if they are available. There is no way we can let these guys pass. They will be stars. 

I get that we need an OT and it’s likely that JD will need to save his job by drafting one. I just think it would be a mistake.  

• Upvote 3