The Entire NFL World Knows The Met Life Turf Is A Disaster Waiting To Happen

The Entire NFL World Knows The Met Life Turf Is A Disaster Waiting To Happen

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/message-to-eagles-players-avoid-metlife-stadium/ar-AA1mwiQU?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=29fbb8e1684345318cef03f9a6d9b9d0&ei=24

"Injuries are inevitable in a contact sport like professional football, but the number of non-contact injuries suffered in East Rutherford, NJ are enough to give any coach or general manager pause. "

The entire stadium is an absolute mistake. We have to hope that Woody tries to wash out the last decade of trash by opting out of the stadium next year.

He is going to try it with the uniforms in a few months and then hopefully move to the real needle mover in opting out of MetLife. He’s got to redeem himself there. The place is awful and it’s a nightmare for the heart of the fanbase to get to

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

The entire stadium is an absolute mistake. We have to hope that Woody tries to wash out the last decade of trash by opting out of the stadium next year.

He is going to try it with the uniforms in a few months and then hopefully move to the real needle mover in opting out of MetLife. He’s got to redeem himself there. The place is awful and it’s a nightmare for the heart of the fanbase to get to

Where is he going?  

At a stadium like Wembley in London, for instance, everyone takes mass transit there.  Like 80K people.  There is a train to MetLife.  They should find a way to upgrade that service and reduce the need to drive.  

What I don't quite understand is that, prior to the 2023 season, the MetLife turf was an inferior version used by a few other teams.  It supposedly was replaced this offseason, but with another Field Turf version and perhaps not the preferred version.

I am pretty consistently critical of the Jets Organization, but half the NFL teams use turf.  MetLife is clearly a candidate for turf given its use.   I just don't understand how the Jets (and Giants) can use the same type of artificial surface as half the NFL and still get grief for it.   The only explanation is that they went cheap/stupid on the actual turf.

• Upvote 1

On 1/5/2024 at 3:02 PM, varjet said:

Where is he going?  

At a stadium like Wembley in London, for instance, everyone takes mass transit there.  Like 80K people.  There is a train to MetLife.  They should find a way to upgrade that service and reduce the need to drive.  

What I don't quite understand is that, prior to the 2023 season, the MetLife turf was an inferior version used by a few other teams.  It supposedly was replaced this offseason, but with another Field Turf version and perhaps not the preferred version.

I am pretty consistently critical of the Jets Organization, but half the NFL teams use turf.  MetLife is clearly a candidate for turf given its use.   I just don't understand how the Jets (and Giants) can use the same type of artificial surface as half the NFL and still get grief for it.   The only explanation is that they went cheap/stupid on the actual turf.

They replaced approved turf with a different turf that became the recommended turf afterwards, they have the top turf.  

• Upvote 1

The World Cup is going to require a switch to grass for 2026. And that will be at MetLife; there figure to be 2 nice MLS stadiums in the area by then, but no way you're hosting 70,000 at World Cup games there, and it has to be grass. No word if they'll half ass it like they did in 1994 with trays on grass rather than a real lawn. Would like to think Jets and Giants would be proactive but they've let this go forever. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/5/2024 at 1:56 PM, joewilly12 said:

MetLife could have been the Mecca of NFL stadiums should have been …….

You would think being the rare exception where 2 teams could share the cost. Especially in nyc market.. But nope, just like our offense, has to be 1 of the worst every yr lol..

On 1/5/2024 at 12:59 PM, Gibby said:

I’m sure the foundation is on piles- or caissons. This would mean the sub-grade has no bearing whatsoever. The framed slab would sit directly on top of the foundation.

Trust me on this- I’m in the business.

I was like, this poster sounds like he knows.

Then you said, “trust me”. Something about those words causes me to think the opposite. 😂

1 hour ago, GreenFish said:

I was like, this poster sounds like he knows.

Then you said, “trust me”. Something about those words causes me to think the opposite. 😂

Almost 30 years in the business running large scale commercial construction and high rise projects in the five boroughs. Trust me or not- what I’m saying is accurate. 😉

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Sammybighead said:

What I don't understand is how is our turf significantly worse than every other turf stadium? I heard they put in the best possible turf this past of season. How could the occurrence of injuries be that much higher than any other turf stadium?

They have the same type of turf in L.A. -- none of these guys made it through the 2023 season alone:

• Justin Herbert 
  • Keenan Allen
  • Joey Bosa
  • Linsley's replacement Clapp
  • Zion Johnson
  • Mike Williams
  • Nick Williams

A few other starters missed at least 2-3 games midseason, too.

The Rams have mostly avoided any turf-related injuries this year even though they play in the same stadium. Kupp made it through this season, but he's vocally said how much he hates the turf. I think it did him in the prior season (though Aaron Donald's ankle injury came on grass in KC).

Anyway it's not just MetLife.

I can understand it in both two-team stadiums, but half the one-team stadiums have artificial turf, too.

I'd be all for the Jets switching to grass, but don't know how realistic it is in a shared stadium. The last time they tried those trays it was a disaster (though it was a half-assed job, putting a thin layer of sod trays on top of the old astroturf that didn't drain, in case of disaster so they could rip it all off and quickly go back to playing on astroturf). I don't know how much better swappable trays can be with an ideal underlayment - probably somewhat - but the trick is getting trays to stick so soon after swapping any out.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

They have the same type of turf in L.A. -- none of these guys made it through the 2023 season alone:

• Justin Herbert 
  • Keenan Allen
  • Joey Bosa
  • Zion Johnson
  • Mike Williams
  • Nick Williams

The Rams have mostly avoided any turf-related injuries this year even though they play in the same stadium. Kupp made it through this season, but he's vocally said how much he hates the turf. I think it did him in the prior season (though Aaron Donald's ankle injury came on grass in KC).

I can understand it in both two-team stadiums, but half the one-team stadiums have artificial turf, too.

I'd be all for the Jets switching to grass, but don't know how realistic it is in a shared stadium. The last time they tried those trays it was a disaster (though it was a half-assed job, putting a thin layer of sod trays on top of the old astroturf that didn't drain, in case of disaster so they could rip it all off and quickly go back to playing on astroturf). I don't know how much better swappable trays can be with an ideal underlayment - probably somewhat - but the trick is getting trays to stick so soon after swapping any out.

Even with the replaceable octogonal  trays, the sod never really took . And by November the middle of the field was chewed up. Cowboys and Raiders both have the grass on rollers so it's a stable sod they roll in and out. outside the stadium. But that isn't cheap and isn't really an option to retro fit that into Metlife. And again, 2 teams plus other stuff like high school games make it difficult. 

5 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Even with the replaceable octogonal  trays, the sod never really took . And by November the middle of the field was chewed up. Cowboys and Raiders both have the grass on rollers so it's a stable sod they roll in and out. outside the stadium. But that isn't cheap and isn't really an option to retro fit that into Metlife. And again, 2 teams plus other stuff like high school games make it difficult. 

Totally agree, and I've said all this myself this season during other turf-complaint threads.

I'm sympathetic to them wanting grass. I'm in favor of it, too. They'd probably need to build another stadium with the Jets moving out, though, to happen and not be a disaster again.

No one likes to bring it up, but that snazzy new grass turf they agonized over growing, and then slid in on one tray for the super bowl, was an embarrassment. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Totally agree, and I've said all this myself this season during other turf-complaint threads.

I'm sympathetic to them wanting grass. I'm in favor of it, too. They'd probably need to build another stadium with the Jets moving out, though, to happen and not be a disaster again.

No one likes to bring it up, but that snazzy new grass turf they agonized over growing, and then slid in on one tray for the super bowl, was an embarrassment. 

Solution that I have been suggesting since the proposed west side stadium turned unto Hudson Yards...

Do not renew the lease on that vapid trash can of a stadium that is MetLife. 

Undertake a landfill project at the southern end of Manhattan.  (like Battery Park)

On the new land, build a dedicated stadium for the Jets and a surrounding complex.  Such a complex can be uses for concerts, sports, and even an NYC sponsored international games / Olympics. 

The new stadium can be decked out with lots of bright, colorful Broadway type Jets glitz that would give the team their very own stadium for the first time.

And... They could design in to have real grass.  Use energy efficient LED grow lights on the underside of a retractable hard floor that can be rolled in our out for concerts and other events.  A  segmented floor that can roll up like a garage door to save space.  The grass is permanent and stays UNDER the roll up floor.

Too bad the Jets owner is not a visionary like Jerry Jones or Robert Moses.

• Upvote 1

On 1/5/2024 at 1:59 PM, Gibby said:

I’m sure the foundation is on piles- or caissons. This would mean the sub-grade has no bearing whatsoever. The framed slab would sit directly on top of the foundation.

Trust me on this- I’m in the business.

That's what they thought about Surfside...

11 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

• Justin Herbert 
  • Keenan Allen
  • Joey Bosa
  • Zion Johnson
  • Mike Williams
  • Nick Williams

The Jets play at least 2 home games in that nasty cold, rain every season.  Sometimes, as many as 4.    Playing on dry turf is safer than wet.

That stadium is not only a disaster for the players, but fans too.  Paying big money to sit in a poncho for 3 hours in a 50 degree downpour?!?! 

I live in Florida. Woody and Mara can “eff” all the way off for that, even down here…

On 1/5/2024 at 1:02 PM, JetsFanatic said:

The article mentions injuries that happened on the old turf. While it’s true Rodgers ruptured his Achilles at MetLife, AVT ruptured his Achilles on natural grass in Denver.

This is true but the strain of consistently playing on turf makes you more likely to sustain an injury regardless of the surface you actually tear it on. It's a hard thing to pin down but I've never seen a study that indicated turf is safer than grass

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Solution that I have been suggesting since the proposed west side stadium turned unto Hudson Yards...

Do not renew the lease on that vapid trash can of a stadium that is MetLife. 

Undertake a landfill project at the southern end of Manhattan.  (like Battery Park)

On the new land, build a dedicated stadium for the Jets and a surrounding complex.  Such a complex can be uses for concerts, sports, and even an NYC sponsored international games / Olympics. 

The new stadium can be decked out with lots of bright, colorful Broadway type Jets glitz that would give the team their very own stadium for the first time.

And... They could design in to have real grass.  Use energy efficient LED grow lights on the underside of a retractable hard floor that can be rolled in our out for concerts and other events.  A  segmented floor that can roll up like a garage door to save space.  The grass is permanent and stays UNDER the roll up floor.

Too bad the Jets owner is not a visionary like Jerry Jones or Robert Moses.

After the 15th year of the lease, and every five years, hence; one of the two teams may opt out of the lease after giving the state 12 months notice. The first such opportunity to opt out will occur in 2025 with a notice date of 2024. There will then be an opportunity to opt out in 2030, 2035, 2040, etc... However, if one team leaves for a new stadium, the other team would have to remain for the remainder of the lease. 

Woody needs to get on this now.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1