Rex Hogan story from Walter Football

1 minute ago, sourceworx said:

I don't know what's worse; being the guy who wanted to draft Zach Wilson, or keeping the guy who did because your wife enjoys her weekly coffee klatsch with his.

Woody drafted Zach. Douglas was hired to be a whipping boy. Didn’t appear on Hard Kncoks. Not in the Diana article. He’s got the best gig in America .

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The people that wanted to stick with darnold and make a pick or trade down were eviscerated on here at the time because the masses hated Darnold.

Well lts be fair darnold was never the answer and history supports this

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, JetPotato said:

Because their wives are friends?

**** this team. Seriously. 

STILL a "Mom & Pop" organization around 35-40 years later.  Actually it might even be longer.  Hess, as cut throat as he was in the oil industry, many times would advocate keeping players on the roster past their NFL playing date because he liked them and didn't want them to be unemployed.

14 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Fortunately, we have contemporaneous photo evidence of Rex Hogan on the phone with Zach Wilson immediately after making the pick, at the behest of Rex Hogan:

IMG_4640.jpeg

Remember the Woody Quote:  “I feel like I know you better than I know my own children.”

• Sympathy 2
  • Ugh 1

13 hours ago, bitonti said:

The Zach wilson fans were the worst 

I literally had to take a year away from the board because they were relentless in defense of their hero 

It's the NY Jets not the Utah Zachs 

Yeah, did you ever get that pack of cigarettes you said you were leaving me for?

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, varjet said:

Ok-who wanted to take:

• Becton
  • Mims
  • Moore

All were seriously mis-scouted.  Basically complete miss on the mental part.     Can we fire them?

Who wanted to take Sauce, Garrett, JJ and Breece? Can we extend them?😎

15 hours ago, Ghost said:

I’m almost at the point where I’m going to start rooting against this team lol 

It’s getting really tough to like the people running the team.

These guys all seems to be pointing fingers at everyone else.  Like 5 years olds that won’t accept any accountability.  People like that should be nowhere near leadership of an NFL Franchise..

19 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

So apparently the new order of authority for the NY Jets is:

1. Rodgers
2. Mrs. Douglas
3. Maybe Joe Douglas?

I don't know.  Maybe that could be an improvement.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

It’s getting really tough to like the people running the team.

These guys all seems to be pointing fingers at everyone else.  Like 5 years olds that won’t accept any accountability.  People like that should be nowhere near leadership of an NFL Franchise..

And so many other franchises admit they made a mistake and either cut a player regardless of their draft status or fire a coach. This “coaching” staff and management are holding this team back. How do you even remotely think about keeping some of this staff after the latest report? The way the players feel about the coaching staff alone should be enough to can half of them. 

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Barton said:

A lot of dirt being thrown around right now. More people might be getting fired IMO. 

Oh they will…they all will get fired if next year’s another dumpster fire.

As for who’s to blame for Wilson, this revisionist type discussion forgets that having a rookie GM, with a rookie QB, a rookie OC at the helm had a much higher chance of failing than succeeding.

Thanks Woody…

And stop with the Sam Darnold reformation project talk. He’s nothing but a backup at best. Like he would have taken this team to the playoffs. Give me a break.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Well, it’s a different take on Rex.  Other articles have  painted him as some sort of competent personnel guy.  We’ve heard this type of stuff before with Mac or others in the organization.  Douglas relies on his scouts just like other GMs do evaluate players.  It’s possible hogan made the pitch.  The jets weren’t that enamored with darnold ( and rightly so) and so drafted Zach.  It happens and it also sounds like they were perfectly happy to see him go regardless of how this season turned out.

• Sympathy 1

Maybe he’s just bad in front of a mic, but Hogan doesn’t exactly project confidence or football intelligence.

I find it very easy to believe he was gung ho on ZW from the start.

But Joe Douglas was freaking giddy as a schoolgirl at that BYU pro day.

Zero chance he wasn’t “all in” on the pick.

• Upvote 1

On 2/2/2024 at 8:11 PM, SickJetFan said:

Isnt it always the Assistant GM who make crucial decision that impact a franchise for 10 years...of course it is.  Who needs GMs anyway they cant think for themselves.

Except in the case where the owner decides to go with Sauce Gardner instead of the GM's preference of Icky Ikwonu

• Upvote 1

On 2/2/2024 at 5:51 PM, JetPotato said:

Because their wives are friends?

**** this team. Seriously. 

Yeah they sit together in the box all the time. You can see them on CBS doing dances after the Jets score. Oh wait, nevermind.

• Haha 1

So the best case scenario here is that a young GM, Douglas, didn't stick with his instincts. And that he let himself be overruled \ persuaded by Hogan. Now that they are all fighting for another contract he has matured and let Hogan go.

No more room for error. These guys have MILLIONS on the line.

I am not saying this is what happened, just the best case. The guy that was Zach central was let go.

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Except in the case where the owner decides to go with Sauce Gardner instead of the GM's preference of Icky Ikwonu

Sauce is good but the Icky shuffle would have been very marketable.

• Haha 1

On 2/2/2024 at 6:23 PM, varjet said:

Ok-who wanted to take:

• Becton
  • Mims
  • Moore

All were seriously mis-scouted.  Basically complete miss on the mental part.     Can we fire them?

I understand the positional picks for Becton and Mims given the lack of help Darnold had but they weren't the right picks.

Moore was selfish on the field and then was selfish in the NFL, I said at the time I didn't love that pick because of his antics in the Ole-piss game that cost his team the chance to tie.

• Sympathy 1

On 2/3/2024 at 9:57 PM, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Maybe he’s just bad in front of a mic, but Hogan doesn’t exactly project confidence or football intelligence.

I find it very easy to believe he was gung ho on ZW from the start.

But Joe Douglas was freaking giddy as a schoolgirl at that BYU pro day.

Zero chance he wasn’t “all in” on the pick.

The Darnold situation was a funky one. We could have ran it back with Sam but the top QB in the following draft was Kenny Pickett - not going to endorse Pickett over Sauce, Wilson, or JJ not to mention we would have lost the pick that got us Breece.

24 of 24 GMs had Zach Wilson ranked as QB #2 that year, we can play hindsight all we want but sometimes picks just don't work out. If it were easy, Brock Purdy wouldn't have been Mr. Irrelevant 

• Upvote 1

On 2/3/2024 at 10:18 PM, David Harris said:

People miss on QB’s all the time. Heads roll. Seems pretty arbitrary, Mahomes and Allen somehow hit, Trevor looks decent after generational hype, very luck of the draw these QBs are.

It's the nature of the beast. With single-read college offenses being so prevalent, you're almost always projecting a QB based on bad data that doesn't correlate or accurately predict pro performance.

Aaron Rodgers was a victim of this. He entered the draft coming from a Jeff Tedford offense that produced Trent Dilfer, David Carr, Joey Harrington, Akili Smith, and Kyle Boller. GMs looked at those QBs and discounted Aaron Rodgers' game tape because they felt like it wasn't an accurate predictor of pro performance. They were obviously wrong.

If Patrick Mahomes doesn't hit, Zack Wilson is probably a 3rd round pick. But Mahomes is on the road to GOAT status, and that forces everyone to dig through college reels hoping they can find the next gem.

The Zach Wilson story is not unique. Projecting a player based on a college game that doesn't closely resemble the pros is risky business. Teams, like the Jets, are forced to roll the dice and when it backfires, the impact is felt for years.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1