Huff to the Eagles

19 minutes ago, bicketybam said:
38 minutes ago, Warfish said:
It seemed quite obvious JD wasn't very interested in retaining Huff, especially with his recent high-value investments in 1st round draft pick Edges.
So no shock hearing this news at all.  Entirely expected.
As with everything this offseason, we'll just have to see how it works out.

Do you agree or disagree? Or do you want to hedge it so you can scream no matter how it works out?

I've already post my opinion on Huff.  If we were letting him go, I'd have preferred he be traded last year for a pick this year.

Huff was the best of what we had last year at pass rush.  No one wants to give that up unless you have replacements ready who can equal or improve.  I don't think we do.  But Huff, a part-timer in the all-part-timers-Saleh-system like all edges, isn't worth here what he got to play there.

We're weaker without him, but we'll see where JD spends the cap space.  That will be key to any evaluation of this decision.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

So he gets a $17MM/year contract as a UFA, but someone was going to fork over a day 2 (or day 1) draft pick to exceed his $21MM base pay? That seems extremely unlikely.

And in the meantime they'd have to carry him with that $21MM cap number because he doesn't want a long term deal with the Jets.

The time for Douglas to lock him up was a year ago, and he muffed it like he's muffed lots of things.

• After he saw no one thought he was worth a 2nd round pick to get him on a far cheaper contract.
  • Before taking another edge rusher in the draft.
  • Before idiotically and unnecessarily re-signing Lawson.

The time to get a pick for him was in October. The worst time to first engage in serious extension talks is after the trade deadline has passed, in early November, and it seems that's exactly what he did. If Douglas was hitting a brick wall in negotiations with Huff's agent in mid-late October, then trade him while you can still get something.

But in 2024? Huff wanted no part of re-signing with the Jets, and said so in almost so many words in January after the last game against New England, and said it right on camera. He wasn't signing a long term deal with the Jets (let alone matching his highest bid in advance of him getting that offer) and wanted to see what all his options were. 

The likelihood is still that they'll get a 3rd round comp for him a year from now, as the qualifying/compensatory UFAs they sign will likely only cancel out the other UFAs (e.g. Becton) that they lose.

Agree 100% on Douglas should have resigned him last year. 

No I wouldn't expect a day 1 pick - but someone is going to be left out of the edge market.

Washington needs multiple edges and has $90mm+in cap space plus extra draft ammo, bears have tons of draft capital and cap space, Minny needs edge help and just lost Kirk Cousins. The idea that today is the first time agents/franchises are negotiating this stuff is laughable. There are dozens of complex deals being structured now - that didn't just happenin the past two hours. Plus none of this stuff actually kicks into effect until Wednesday. I'm pretty sure some teams still have negative cap space...

He could get upwards of $20mm per year based on incentives - lets say half of them are reasonable - he is going to be getting $18-$19mm per year.

Douglas could have essentially told everyone for the past two weeks - we are going to trade Huff - get us your best offer by 3/10. If they got a fourth rounder for him this year that is something. I'd rather a fourth rounder this year than a third next year. Plus the comp picks are added to the end of the round - so if we got Washington's fourth rounder (101) - we'd be selecting 2-3 spots below our third round comp pick... 

Plus... we may not even get a comp pick for him! If we sign Tyron Smith or Calvin Ridley wouldn't we just get zero for Huff? 

• Upvote 2

We knew Huff was gone this offseason.  JD could've re-signed him for much cheaper last offseason (obviously easy for me to say this with the benefit of hindsight) but drafted IV to replace him.

EDIT: I have no idea why JD didn't trade him during the deadline btw.  That was something I wanted to do at the time. 

3 minutes ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

No I wouldn't expect a day 1 pick - but someone is going to be left out of the edge market.

Washington needs multiple edges and has $90mm+in cap space plus extra draft ammo, bears have tons of draft capital and cap space, Minny needs edge help and just lost Kirk Cousins. The idea that today is the first time agents/franchises are negotiating this stuff is laughable. There are dozens of complex deals being structured now - that didn't just happenin the past two hours. Plus none of this stuff actually kicks into effect until Wednesday. I'm pretty sure some teams still have negative cap space...

He could get upwards of $20mm per year based on incentives - lets say half of them are reasonable - he is going to be getting $18-$19mm per year.

Douglas could have essentially told everyone for the past two weeks - we are going to trade Huff - get us your best offer by 3/10. If they got a fourth rounder for him this year that is something. I'd rather a fourth rounder this year than a third next year. Plus the comp picks are added to the end of the round - so if we got Washington's fourth rounder (101) - we'd be selecting 2-3 spots below our third round comp pick... 

Plus... we may not even get a comp pick for him! If we sign Tyron Smith or Calvin Ridley wouldn't we just get zero for Huff? 

I've been writing this for months .. before JD just folded any hand he had before the Combine by announcing we wouldn't use the tag.

Some teams might have traded that 4th for the exclusive chance to negotiate with and sign him to a long term deal.  Those same teams now are left high and dry, losing any control (upper hand) that 4th rounder would have given them.

Now, we'll watch KC trade the franchised Snead and Cincy trade the franchised Higgins (who didn't even have a great year). 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Maxman said:

What if they developed him and got him to the point he is today. He was an undrafted free agent. His production is a success story. I would think the staff would deserve credit for that.

I have no doubt that they played a pivotal role in that - but if I spent three years turning an ugly, mean, overweight girl into a fit, kind, hot girl just to let someone else bone her I wouldn't exactly be patting myself on the back too hard. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

A lot of dudes on this site think it’s the 19th century and slavery is in full effect. You can’t keep something that you don’t own. The man has free will he already said he doesn’t wanna play for the Jets he doesn’t want to be a rotational guy he wants to be in every down player. on top of that our defense line is one of our strengths and we have weaknesses that we need to put money into so this really isn’t a Jody failure even though more and more I’m starting to think the man is a moron 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, slats said:

It will be interesting to see how he performs in his new home. That’s clearly starter money, and starting is what he wanted to do. His real claim to fame is his pass rushing efficiency, which the Jets maximized by playing him almost exclusively on obvious passing downs. We’ll see how he does when rather than resting, he’s out on the field getting worn down in the running game. Jets coaching staff has a ton of issues, but not when it comes to developing defense. 

I suspect the hysteria here will dissipate when he’s not putting up similar pass rush numbers in a full time role. 

You may very well be right.  Again, the move (if it was going to be made) was to re-sign him last offseason.  We knew he was gone this offseason.  As far as this offseason, we need to allocate $$ on the offensive side of the ball.

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

And they got NOTHING for him.  Zilch.  If JD moved on it sooner, he could have gotten value.  Idiot. 

According to the article, he’s probably gonna get a third round comp pick. Obviously if his phone was being blown up and people were offering second round pics for Bryce Huff JD would’ve taken that but obviously nobody has offered anything like that. Let it go guys. The dudes are free agent. Best of luck to Bryce Huff.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

This isn't going to be as bad as most of you seem to think.

Huff's not going to be worth that money and the defense is going to be fine.

Maybe... on the other hand he was a UDA who is only 25 and gets 10 sacks a year...

We never had anything like that...ever. And now its gone. Sucks.

32 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

This isn't going to be as bad as most of you seem to think.

Huff's not going to be worth that money and the defense is going to be fine.

I know we're all super down on the org (deservedly so) but this is where I am.

Huff went from an underrated secret to kind of overrated pretty quickly.

34 minutes ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

Incentives means he doesn't get it as base pay. You don't know what he's actually going to get because you don't know if he's going to miss half the season like he did the only time he was put up against every-snap playing time. I don't wish him ill-will just so the Jets come out on top - my preference would be for them to have locked him up a year ago instead of re-upping ****ing Lawson who was an obvious player to cut even before drafting McDonald - but no one was giving the Jets a day 1-2 pick just for the privilege of outbidding the franchise tag amount that Huff couldn't command without costing his new team any picks. They certainly weren't getting a high pick from anyone while they're all in a mad rush to sign untagged FAs, and in the meantime the Jets would have to have Huff carry essentially 100% of their current cap room.

Crying fans' fantasies aside, the reality is most guys who are tagged never find trading partners. The last guy who got a pick anywhere in the round 1-2 range was Orlando Brown 4 seasons ago, and he was an every-game/every-down player (never missed a game) who played most of the prior season at LT for the Ravens.

Huff once started half a season, two years ago, and he missed most of the season to injury when he did. It would've been yet another stupid Douglas move to tag him. 

• Upvote 1

1. GM finds pass rushing talent in udfa pool

2. GM pays him beans while getting elite production

3. GM replaces production with a new pass rushing talent, one year before udfa contract expires

4. GM gets high comp pick for udfa

——

Jets Nation loses its sh*t 

• Thumb Down 1

The Eagles got a bargain.

Huff is a literal game changer. He changes/ends games - esp when your team has a lead.

That JD couldn't meet and exceed Philly's offer is says all you need to know about JD's competency. For a team aiming to win it all an assassin like Huff is a big help. Good for Philly.

JD's master plan is to f--k over the Jets and return to Philly, I'm sure of it!

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, slats said:

It will be interesting to see how he performs in his new home. That’s clearly starter money, and starting is what he wanted to do. His real claim to fame is his pass rushing efficiency, which the Jets maximized by playing him almost exclusively on obvious passing downs. We’ll see how he does when rather than resting, he’s out on the field getting worn down in the running game. Jets coaching staff has a ton of issues, but not when it comes to developing defense. 

I suspect the hysteria here will dissipate when he’s not putting up similar pass rush numbers in a full time role. 

Or maybe the hysteria will grow when he's putting up even better numbers on the edge of that Philly line, with a team that actually plays with leads, allowing their DLinemen to pin their ears back.

His pass rush win rate held strong when his snap count went up in the second half of last year.  His pressure rate was down, but that was partially explained by some of the QBs he played against (low 2 second time to throw) and teams using chips and double teams more often.

Guy is still 25 as I type and most here (understandably) fail to give the benefit of the doubt to a GM and Coaching staff who clearly didn't know what they had.  See Jacob Martin signing, a guy who was then traded 6 or so games with the Jets to give a more productive Huff more playing time.

6 minutes ago, Ruby2 said:

Maybe... on the other hand he was a UDA who is only 25 and gets 10 sacks a year...

We never had anything like that...ever. And now its gone. Sucks.

He got 10 sacks this year. He doesn't get 10 sacks a year. In the prior 3 years, he averaged 2.5 sacks per season, for a career total of 17.5.

You might be exaggerating a little.

2 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

1. GM finds pass rushing talent in udfa pool

2. GM pays him beans while getting elite production

3. GM replaces production with a new pass rushing talent, one year before udfa contract expires

4. GM gets high comp pick for udfa

——

Jets Nation loses its sh*t 

I think Jet Nation knows where they left their S***. 

4 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

He got 10 sacks this year. He doesn't get 10 sacks a year. In the prior 3 years, he averaged 2.5 sacks per season, for a career total of 17.5.

You might be exaggerating a little.

Where is the exaggeration? Did I miss some other time we had a UDFA get a 10 sack season?

If I'm not mistaken I think the last Jets EDGE to get double digit sacks was JAbe no?

We really never had this, at least not in this modern era of Jets ineptitude. Thats what makes it sting so much.

I'm not hoping on the zomggg Douglas sucks train, but this is bad no matter how you look at it. You don't let 25 year old pass rushers go...period.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Ulrich said:

The Eagles got a bargain.

Huff is a literal game changer. He changes/ends games - esp when your team has a lead.

That JD couldn't meet and exceed Philly's offer is says all you need to know about JD's competency. For a team aiming to win it all an assassin like Huff is a big help. Good for Philly.

JD's master plan is to f--k over the Jets and return to Philly, I'm sure of it!

And if he matched that and Huff predictably said, "GFY, like I said publicly after the Pats game and like I told you through November & Decmber, I want to start and Saleh isn't going to start me," (plus throw in a bit of how Pennsylvania's 3% is barely more than 1/4 of the marginal state tax as NJ's 11%). 

OK then what?

The goal of trading for Rodgers was to catch lightning in a bottle and go on a run. This is a year to year plan. Once you go that route- future money obligations get tossed. The franchise tag is given to teams for this exact reason. We can make this more complex than it really is, but not tagging Huff and having him play here on a one year deal makes zero sense when you have a 40 year old QB and you’re trying to squeeze out a ring. The whole purpose of getting Rodgers was to play with leads and rotate Huff, McDonald, JJ and get after the passer in the second half. 

I wanna crush Joe too, but first, how did Huff arrive on the Jets in the first place? Huff becoming the highest paid non-drafted FA in NFL history says at least a little bit about Joe's eye for talent. Perhaps he can replace Huff with Huff 2.0?

Is it fair to say of all 32 GMs, our GM has the best eye for late round talent?

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

And if he matched that and Huff predictably said, "GFY, like I said publicly after the Pats game and like I told you through November & Decmber, I want to start and Saleh isn't going to start me," (plus throw in a bit of how Pennsylvania's 3% is barely more than 1/4 of the marginal state tax as NJ's 11%). 

OK then what?

You franchise tag him and say now youse can’t leave 

• Upvote 1