Huff to the Eagles

Just now, UntouchableCrew said:

I mean, Douglas clearly misplayed his hand here. Losing Huff for nothing is very poor roster management.

But I'm sure the rationale is that McDonald will fill that role next year and we need to allocate that salary to offense, which is probably the right move -- you tag Huff there's always the fear he actually signs it.

Who offensively do you expect the Jets to sign?  

3 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Our pass rush will join the offense line in the toilet.  Douglas outsmarting himself again unless McDonald turn into a killer. But, probably not. 

These guys play part time only anyways. Makes sense to use first round picks on them. 

• Upvote 1

At least I don't have to root against him.

Guessing that JD is banking on a fat comp pick next year, which also probably gives us an idea of how he plans to approach this FA period (quietly, so as not to F up the comp pick)

7 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

He probably didn't really want to be here. Can't blame him. This ship, she be a sinking. 

He wanted to be with a team in green.  We had a 50/50 chance but missed out.  

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Columbia Jet Fan said:

Breer is a mouthpiece for the coaching staff/front office. 

He did a big Rodgers acquisition story last year - several articles about the Jets with sit downs with Saleh. This is the Jets putting the word out that their hands were tied. 

The issue is the Jets mismanaged Huff for years. Every fan on this board was clamoring for them to extend Huff last year and to play him more. 

He was playing in the fourth quarter in preseason games THIS YEAR. They picked Will McDonald over extending Huff. They used to make Huff an inactive on game days to play ******* Vinny Curry. 

They basically were forced to play him more this year - and what do you know - he was elite at rushing the QB. Completely missed the opportunity to lock him up and keep a homegrown talent. 

What a joke. Sometimes there are legit reasons to not keep your homegrown players. This isn't one of them. Jets ****ed this up every step of the way. 

I mean. Is it a surprise? Their pro scouting dept has been a disaster. The Jets have also never felt the need to self scout. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I thought people wanted to improve the OL and add another receiver?

That becomes exponentially harder when you’re tagging Huff for $21 million.

Agreed. I don’t see how we could address OL or  WR with paying Huff that amount.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, David Harris said:

Agreed. I don’t see how we could address OL or  WR with paying Huff that amount.

This is a great point. Have to allocate $ differently.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

This "Huff is a product of Quinnen" argument is nonsense.

Huff wins with an elite take-off and incredible bend around the edge.

He gets sacks and pressures in around 2 seconds from the snap. Internal pressure has little to do with that.

Exactly.

Breer's comment reeks of doing the organization's bidding to stay in their good graces for future scoops.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Who offensively do you expect the Jets to sign?  

I'd expect they'll bring in at least two OL and one WR.

I'm not really defending how this is playing out, but given it's "win now with Rodgers or else" I certainly understand trying to "fix" the side of the ball that sucks while hoping the defense will miss Huff less than some are assuming.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

Breer is a mouthpiece for the coaching staff/front office. 

He did a big Rodgers acquisition story last year - several articles about the Jets with sit downs with Saleh. This is the Jets putting the word out that their hands were tied. 

The issue is the Jets mismanaged Huff for years. Every fan on this board was clamoring for them to extend Huff last year and to play him more. 

He was playing in the fourth quarter in preseason games THIS YEAR. They picked Will McDonald over extending Huff. They used to make Huff an inactive on game days to play ******* Vinny Curry. 

They basically were forced to play him more this year - and what do you know - he was elite at rushing the QB. Completely missed the opportunity to lock him up and keep a homegrown talent. 

What a joke. Sometimes there are legit reasons to not keep your homegrown players. This isn't one of them. Jets ****ed this up every step of the way. 

What if they developed him and got him to the point he is today. He was an undrafted free agent. His production is a success story. I would think the staff would deserve credit for that.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I'd expect they'll bring in at least two OL and one WR.

I'm not really defending how this is playing out, but given it's "win now with Rodgers or else" I certainly understand trying to "fix" the side of the ball that sucks while hoping the defense will miss Huff less than some are assuming.

Letting Huff walk when they could have just tagged him while spending on a guard and Tyler Boyd…I dunno. Doesn’t seem logical. Especially when the Jets are on the year to year plan with AR.

Mosley's cap hit leads the team at 21.5 M

#6, #7, #8 in terms of most expensive / biggest albatrosses are:

Lizard, Uzomah, and Zach Wilson 🤣 🤣

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/new-york-jets

Uzomah was cut with zero guarantees left, but Lazard has 10M fully gtd salary due and 12.18 M against the '24 cap

ZW is owed 5.45M in cash and counts 11.18 M against the cap.

• More Ugh 1

It seemed quite obvious JD wasn't very interested in retaining Huff, especially with his recent high-value investments in 1st round draft pick Edges.
So no shock hearing this news at all.  Entirely expected.
As with everything this offseason, we'll just have to see how it works out.
Do you agree or disagree? Or do you want to hedge it so you can scream no matter how it works out?

2 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Exactly.

Breer's comment reeks of doing the organization's bidding to stay in their good graces for future scoops.

We need to hear from Pete Schrager. By the looks of it, the Jets are already winning free agency by letting Huff go. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

So $17mm-$20mm per year

Yet if we tagged him apparently there was no way to get any compensation despite 1 year deals typically getting a premium over multi-year deals. 

Don't worry though - we'll get a comp pick in next year's draft... assuming we don't sign anyone of note this year. 

Anyone notice since JD left the Eagles they've only gotten better... what a joke. 

So he gets a $17MM/year contract as a UFA, but someone was going to fork over a day 2 (or day 1) draft pick to exceed his $21MM base pay? That seems extremely unlikely.

And in the meantime they'd have to carry him with that $21MM cap number because he doesn't want a long term deal with the Jets.

The time for Douglas to lock him up was a year ago, and he muffed it like he's muffed lots of things.

• After he saw no one thought he was worth a 2nd round pick to get him on a far cheaper contract.
  • Before taking another edge rusher in the draft.
  • Before idiotically and unnecessarily re-signing Lawson.

The time to get a pick for him was in October. The worst time to first engage in serious extension talks is after the trade deadline has passed, in early November, and it seems that's exactly what he did. If Douglas was hitting a brick wall in negotiations with Huff's agent in mid-late October, then trade him while you can still get something.

But in 2024? Huff wanted no part of re-signing with the Jets, and said so in almost so many words in January after the last game against New England, and said it right on camera. He wasn't signing a long term deal with the Jets (let alone matching his highest bid in advance of him getting that offer) and wanted to see what all his options were. 

The likelihood is still that they'll get a 3rd round comp for him a year from now, as the qualifying/compensatory UFAs they sign will likely only cancel out the other UFAs (e.g. Becton) that they lose.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Beaver said:

I knew this was coming.  This still hurts. Hurts even more since the jets got nothing out of him leaving.

I knew it was coming it still hurts should be the Jets fan slogan 

fwiw they get a 3rd or 4th rounder next year 

This was expected and it sucks

what's puzzling to me are the people holding out hope the Jets would come to some sort of last minute tag/trade/deal with Huff when all the news pointed the other way.  

Huff's fate was sealed when they drafted McDonald 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

9 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Exactly.

Bingo. 

Plus the Eagles have Jalen Carter, Jordan Davis, and Milton Williams... They probably have a better DL than the Jets. 

Oh they also drafted an edge recently in round 1 and have two other good edges. 

Whos talent evaluation do you trust more - the EAGLES or Mr. Dalvin Cook/Alan Lazard/CJ Uzomah JD

1. "There will be a weak market", they say

2. "Won't come close to sniffing $20M", they say

3. "Makes no sense to tag and try to trade him", they say

This mistake has spanned a couple seasons from not knowing what they had, drafting his replacement when they should have drafted one of those hit the ground running WRs that are littering the league these days, not trading him before last year's deadline (in a lost season), and announcing they weren't going to use the tag before the Combine even began.

SHAME, SHAME, SHAME

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

We all knew this was coming. There was no way the Jets were going to Franchise him. His replacement  was McDonald. Hopefully he can take a step next season. It is so rare this team develops its own talent and when we do, we let them walk. Huff probably deserved a contract as much as Q. ( For the English language  impared who I know will read this as me saying we should pay Huff as much as Q, That isn't  what I am saying) 

3 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

This isn't going to be as bad as most of you seem to think.

Huff's not going to be worth that money and the defense is going to be fine.

I disagree and believe our pass rush will be virtually non-existent more times than not this upcoming season.  Our DL has ALWAYS been way overrated and we just lost 1 of the 2 guys who did most of the pass rush work.

Huff and Q are the only ones who do not rely on coverage to get sacks.

The ONLY  issue I have with this is that they didnt trade him when they had the chance. I know they werent "out of it" at the deadline, but Rodgers was hurt. They could have a second round pick this year and now they lost him for nothing. Stupid Stupid Stupid. 

ETA: Im pretty sure I was for trading him at that time. 

29 minutes ago, fullblast said:

At least I don't have to root against him.

Guessing that JD is banking on a fat comp pick next year, which also probably gives us an idea of how he plans to approach this FA period (quietly, so as not to F up the comp pick)

He won’t be in charge of choosing the player we get with that pick. He’s getting canned next year easily. 

• Thumb Down 1