What evidence is there that Saleh is the right man for Jets HC?

In all fairness to him, most of us would find some level of agreement that the best modern day head coaches would have found it extraordinarily difficult to make the playoffs with Zach Wilson as QB playing behind an injury ravaged OL that wasn’t that good to begin with.

[A pretty obvious shame on JD and the powers that be — possibly including Saleh - who decided Zach was the right choice for the primary backup QB last year (even before Rodgers injury).  Season killing contingency planning behind a then 39 year old Rodgers who showed some signs of breaking down the year prior (thumb, ribs).]

That said, any good owner or GM will look for leading indicators that the current HC is the ‘right guy’, provided he has a good starting QB.  Wins ultimately being the lagging result.

I ask you, what are those positive signs that Saleh has already shown that gives you confidence he is the right guy for the job?

Or why are you so convinced he doesn’t have what it takes to be a a good or better than good HC?

33 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

In all fairness to him, most of us would find some level of agreement that the best modern day head coaches would have found it extraordinarily difficult to make the playoffs with Zach Wilson as QB playing behind an injury ravaged OL that wasn’t that good to begin with.

[A pretty obvious shame on JD and the powers that be — possibly including Saleh - who decided Zach was the right choice for the primary backup QB last year (even before Rodgers injury).  Season killing contingency planning behind a then 39 year old Rodgers who showed some signs of breaking down the year prior (thumb, ribs).]

That said, any good owner or GM will look for leading indicators that the current HC is the ‘right guy’, provided he has a good starting QB.  Wins ultimately being the lagging result.

I ask you, what are those positive signs that Saleh has already shown that gives you confidence he is the right guy for the job?

Or why are you so convinced he doesn’t have what it takes to be a a good or better than good HC?

training running GIF by Yevbel
Going Down Stairs GIF by Dora Jar

• Haha 4

24 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The best evidence that Saleh might have some coaching talent is that Sean Payton is a few weeks away from outright cutting Zach Wilson.

So Zach has a lot to do with your assessment of Saleh? Let's assume a newly hired coach wasn't going to quit his job and destroy whatever HC career he had in order to make a stand in Zach Wilson.

9 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

None. There is evidence that he knows how to field and coach an elite NFL defense. 

The main source of hope regarding Saleh is that he won 7 games in back to back years in which he was hampered by insanely bad QB and OL play/injury luck. 

The silver lining he's gotten his side of the ball right. The defense is legit. But now it’s year four. No more excuses. If the offense isn’t top 20 (not a high bar to clear), it’s time to go. 

• Upvote 4

46 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The best evidence that Saleh might have some coaching talent is that Sean Payton is a few weeks away from outright cutting Zach Wilson.

Yup.  @Dunnie

But then again what do (checks notes) the Denver Post and The Athletic know about it?

Stidham and Wilson may well be vying for one roster spot, and The Athletic’s Nick Kosmider notes the latter has some ground to close if he is to be Denver’s backup to begin the season  The Denver Post’s Parker Gabriel also views Wilson as in third place in this competition exiting minicamp.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I'll give you my answer when he has an NFL caliber QB under center for 17 games. Between a future hall of famer and a competent back up, they should be able to cobble together 17 games with an actual QB. If/when that happens, I'll let you know.

That's always been my view as well.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, PS17 said:

The silver lining he's gotten his side of the ball right. The defense is legit. But now it’s year four. No more excuses. If the offense isn’t top 20 (not a high bar to clear), it’s time to go. 

Agreed.

His side of the ball has gotten better every year and is near elite. 

Unfortunately, that only gets you so far and it's time to win big. 

4 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I'll give you my answer when he has an NFL caliber QB under center for 17 games. Between a future hall of famer and a competent back up, they should be able to cobble together 17 games with an actual QB. If/when that happens, I'll let you know.

I would add a Healthy OL too. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

So Zach has a lot to do with your assessment of Saleh? Let's assume a newly hired coach wasn't going to quit his job and destroy whatever HC career he had in order to make a stand in Zach Wilson.

I don’t follow

• Haha 4

He beat the Patriots.  The first since Bowles.  Isn't that enough?

Seriously, this team has had plenty of reasons to implode.  Especially, last year.  If the Jets even received average QB play.  How many more wins would the Jets have?  10 over the past two seasons.  

He can coach.  Whether it is the GM or if he is Belichecking the Offense, he needs that side of the ball.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Not sure yet because the Zach effect is real but right now I would have to say much better DC. But, let's see how he does with a QB that actually should be in the league. 

That's where I am at. I am not a fan. I believe he is more focused on golf...  but with Zach as QB, no HC could won more than 7 games last year, although as I think about it, Tomlin could.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

He won 7 games with the worst QB in the NFL

• Upvote 1

His .353 wining pct as a coach says he is awesome, I mean the jets have like the 3rd ranked football roster this off season.  Rich Kotite?   .417 %

Herm?   .422, Bowles?   .426

Yeah Saleh is freaking brilliant.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

His .353 wining pct as a coach says he is awesome, I man the jets have like the 3rd ranked football roster this off season.  Rich Kotite?   .417 %

3 years. Zach Wilson. Profit.

58 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

His .353 wining pct as a coach says he is awesome, I man the jets have like the 3rd ranked football roster this off season.  Rich Kotite?   .417 %

Add another 10 Losses to that total

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Simply answering the question 

The Jets have a championship level defense- this is no small thing.  Special teams was very good last year.  

The team has consistently coaches up defensive players, JFM, Tony Adams, Quincy Huff, Reed, JJ.

United locker room even under duress.

No known dick pic controversies.

@Matt39might have some pictures. So we really don't know yet.

Looking Episode 11 GIF by One Chicago

3 hours ago, PS17 said:

STs have not been an issue. 

There is none, but there's nothing to be done about it.

Hope he's learned a few things this offseason and figures it out or that the roster is talented enough to overcome him.  Similar to the Cowboys with Barry Switzer.