PFF - Leonard Williams, +8.6

BroadwayRay

I'm not 100% sold on the accuracy of Pro Football Focus's player evaluation system, but still, couldn't help but notice their take on Leonard Williams today:

First-round pick Leonard Williams (+8.6) has gradually raised his game over the first three weeks of the season, and put on an absolute show at Wembley Stadium. Williams more than doubled his pass rushing production for the season, racking up 10 pressures (four hits, six hurries) to go with two stops against the run in a dominating performance.

Considering the kid is just 21 or 22 years old, can't help being hyped about the player he's going to become.

Hopefully we get Richardson back during the bye week and we can let Williams heal a little.

This. Williams is a young kid and with Sheldon coming back there is little reason to rush him back. I have a hard time imagining this d-line once Richardson is back and WIlliams is back at 100pct. 

Seems Sheldons issues will be pushed into the offseason which is great news. Leo twisted his ankle he'll be fine with 2 weeks of rest. These guys get incredible medical aid & Leo being 21 years old my guess is he's a quick healer. 

Redskins are built just like the Fins, game should look the same. Fins got incredibly lucky with the tipped balls yesterday, we had 3/4 balls we tipped that were up in the air a long time that fell harmlessly right between our defenders.

4-1 would be freaking sweet! Especially since I see us getting much better on both defense (using Bailey, adding Shel, hopefully sitting Cro for Marcus)., on offense incorporating Smith, Decker getting healthy, a little more from Enunwa).

Our backup RBs have now proven to be pretty weak. 

Seems Sheldons issues will be pushed into the offseason which is great news. Leo twisted his ankle he'll be fine with 2 weeks of rest. These guys get incredible medical aid & Leo being 21 years old my guess is he's a quick healer. 

Redskins are built just like the Fins, game should look the same. Fins got incredibly lucky with the tipped balls yesterday, we had 3/4 balls we tipped that were up in the air a long time that fell harmlessly right between our defenders.

4-1 would be freaking sweet! Especially since I see us getting much better on both defense (using Bailey, adding Shel, hopefully sitting Cro for Marcus)., on offense incorporating Smith, Decker getting healthy, a little more from Enunwa).

We still have Ridley coming back!  God bless depth.

devon smith looks lost.  i'd rather see kerley get those reps.  D. Smith has been a huge liability, reminds me of Stephen Hill.  No feel for how to play the ball and the game.I hope I am wrong.

devon smith looks lost.  i'd rather see kerley get those reps.  D. Smith has been a huge liability, reminds me of Stephen Hill.  No feel for how to play the ball and the game.I hope I am wrong.

"Huge liability"?  I think that is way overstating it.  Fitz has been missing him by a lot, yes, but I'm not sure whose fault that is.  He missed all of camp and it is showing in his rapport with Fitz.  But he is fast and a potential playmaker.  Have to keep him in the rotation.  THey will need him if Decker keeps having knee issues.

Smith looked reluctant to fight the DB for the ball ... too easily pushed out of the way / rerouted by a more physical DB. I saw this in the Philly game, but it was much more evident yesterday.

i actually thought he took a dive on the interception that wasn't flagged for pass interference

i actually thought he took a dive on the interception that wasn't flagged for pass interference

At first I thought he'd been pushed / tugged, but it was on the far side of the field to where I was. Guy next to me thought he just tripped.

There was another play though, Smith and the DB going down the sideline stride for stride, and Smith looked like he altered his route to get out of the DB's way when the ball was coming, rather than fighting for the ball.

If you had watched a single minute of his college tape you'd know how foolish that statement is.  Knock the kid for whatever else you want but playing the ball in the air is NOT one of his problems.  It's his biggest strength.

Here's a good breakdown on him: 

http://turnonthejets.com/2015/05/toj-film-room-new-york-jets-wr-devin-smith/

Somehow, huge liability Smith looked more open against the Dolphins than Kerley has in 4 years.  Yes, he looked lost.  He is also a rookie that missed most of camp. 

"Huge liability"?  I think that is way overstating it.  Fitz has been missing him by a lot, yes, but I'm not sure whose fault that is.  He missed all of camp and it is showing in his rapport with Fitz.  But he is fast and a potential playmaker.  Have to keep him in the rotation.  THey will need him if Decker keeps having knee issues.

It seems like Every time we force a throw in Smith something bad happened.  You are all right he did NOT have practice and is an extremely raw rookie so in my opinion he has been a pretty drastic liability.  Kerley would work great in place of Smith......

Bmarsh and Deck get get plenty deep too so this whole "gotta keep them honest" nonsense is overblown.  

Devin Smith does look lost...every time he runs wide open he sees the ball sail 3 yards behind him.  He's lost because the last time he saw a QB this sh!tty throwing to him was in high school.  he must wonder how accuracy like that got into the NFL.  Im not sure why fans are busting the kids balls for 1-2 plays when his QB missed him wide open 5 times yesterday...wide open and uncovered on most of those throws...

Devin Smith - WR - Jets

Devin Smith nabbed two of seven targets for 14 yards in the Jets' Week 4 win over the Dolphins.

Among Jets receivers, only Brandon Marshall saw more targets. That’s encouraging. The two catches isn’t, but Smith’s chemistry with Ryan Fitzpatrick will improve over time. For his part, Fitzpatrick was extremely erratic and overthrew several passes on Sunday. Smith will draw the Redskins after New York’s bye week.

It seems like Every time we force a throw in Smith something bad happened.  You are all right he did NOT have practice and is an extremely raw rookie so in my opinion he has been a pretty drastic liability.  Kerley would work great in place of Smith......

Bmarsh and Deck get get plenty deep too so this whole "gotta keep them honest" nonsense is overblown.  

I don't know what Jets universe you have been watching, but Kerley on the outside, opposite BMarsh wouldn't be a recipe for success.  His small ass will get swallowed up by the bigger DBs in the game today.  He isn't anywhwere near as good as Decker in the slot.  Where are you going to put this "HOF" WR you think we are wasting on the bench?  Kerley still hasn't figured out how to run downhill after a damn punt catch.

I truly think some Jets fans have issues letting go of players that were propped up into starting rolls that never had any business being starters in the first place.  You really don't think throughout all of TC and preseason that the Jets coaches wouldn't realize the hidden all star talent you think they have on the bench?

People need to face the fact that Kerley isn't anything but an average #4 or #5 WR on most teams today.  He disappears for large portions of games that makes you wonder if he got injured and carted off to the locker room.

You want your young 2nd RD WR to get all the reps they can as the #3 target on the team.  That has no liability, again the #3 target, in reality its like #4 target since Ivory is truly going ot get the ball more than any other Jet this year.  Devin will get better with time, you need to give him that time and not throw the better talent to the side for a worse talent b/c you aren't happy with the speed of their progression without any TC or PS. He needs work at route running, we all knew this going in, at OSU he was primarily a go route guy that has incredible tracking abilities for deep balls.  

You have a point, but you're vastly over exaggerating it. Devin Smith missed a good portion of camp and all of the preseason. With that said he hasnt been on the same page as Fitz, but Fitz has been missing him on his targets as well. 

Its hard for me to assume that its all Smiths fault (saying he's a huge liability) when Fitz has been inaccurate with not just Smith but all of his WR's generally. 

Smith plays outside the numbers and is a deep threat. The very two things that we had concerning Fitz was what? His throws outside the numbers and his deep balls. 

Shouldnt be hard to associate those facts. But again, you do have a point...but this guy is no Stephen Hill. Relax. 

Williams has been a stud.  He's a very disruptive force.  I think it's catching up to him now.  He's still just been inches away from make the play, quite a few times, but he's a handful already and I think those plays will start to come for him. 

Williams has been a stud.  He's a very disruptive force.  I think it's catching up to him now.  He's still just been inches away from make the play, quite a few times, but he's a handful already and I think those plays will start to come for him. 

I think it helped that the offense wasn't constantly going 3 and out, so the defense wasn't getting so tired.  Put Sheldon in there, I think they are going with a lot of 4 man lines, which they already do now. 

I think it helped that the offense wasn't constantly going 3 and out, so the defense wasn't getting so tired.  Put Sheldon in there, I think they are going with a lot of 4 man lines, which they already do now. 

This was huge yesterday, combined with the early touchdown and being in London.

Looking forward to Sheldon coming back, I hope he's angry like that guy in Fast Times and just tries to destroy the other team.

Especially since I see us getting much better on both defense (using Bailey, adding Shel, hopefully sitting Cro for Marcus).,

Yes, yes, yes. Marcus Williams is a young gem and Cro has always been over rated. And now he has lost a step or two. Cro has to go.

Devin Smith does look lost...every time he runs wide open he sees the ball sail 3 yards behind him.  He's lost because the last time he saw a QB this sh!tty throwing to him was in high school.  he must wonder how accuracy like that got into the NFL.  Im not sure why fans are busting the kids balls for 1-2 plays when his QB missed him wide open 5 times yesterday...wide open and uncovered on most of those throws...

Devin Smith - WR - Jets

Devin Smith nabbed two of seven targets for 14 yards in the Jets' Week 4 win over the Dolphins.

Among Jets receivers, only Brandon Marshall saw more targets. That’s encouraging. The two catches isn’t, but Smith’s chemistry with Ryan Fitzpatrick will improve over time. For his part, Fitzpatrick was extremely erratic and overthrew several passes on Sunday. Smith will draw the Redskins after New York’s bye week.

he probably is having trouble adjusting his speed to run that slowly 

Yes, yes, yes. Marcus Williams is a young gem and Cro has always been over rated. And now he has lost a step or two. Cro has to go.

I'm happy to see Williams get more playing time as the season progresses. He's certainly earning it but Cro is still a key part of the defense. Plenty of snaps to go around.

Don't want to see McDougle or Millner anywhere near the field at this point.

If you had watched a single minute of his college tape you'd know how foolish that statement is.  Knock the kid for whatever else you want but playing the ball in the air is NOT one of his problems.  It's his biggest strength.

Here's a good breakdown on him: 

http://turnonthejets.com/2015/05/toj-film-room-new-york-jets-wr-devin-smith/

He knows how to track the ball when he runs past defenders. The problems he's having so far seem to be related to timing, running or staying in his routes, and tracking the ball when a corner can stay with him. He'll figure it out with reps. Right now, he's not helping much.

Decker and Marshall can hide some of Fitz's short-comings. Devin exacerbates them.

You could have ended on FINS got incredibly lucky.  without zebras, they score nothing.

Devin Smith - WR - Jets

LMFAO! Truth! How can people look at those 3 passes to him other than "WTF" were you throwing too? He had at least 5 yards to the right & left of him wide f*cking open & the ball sailed by him with absolutely NO CHANCE of him being able to catch it.

Fitz is really inaccurate when he sees someone open & tries to catch up to what his mind sees. That's why he's considered a journeyman QB. Must be frustrating as sh*t for the receivers. His arm has no, "there it is" catch up speed.

Yeah people quickly forget he's a rookie trying to find his ground after missing most of the offseason. It's pretty absurd who say they want Smith out. Hell I want in there getting more reps especially in games we have complete control of. 

He knows how to track the ball when he runs past defenders. The problems he's having so far seem to be related to timing, running or staying in his routes, and tracking the ball when a corner can stay with him. He'll figure it out with reps. Right now, he's not helping much.

How much timing is there on deep routes?  Fitz isn't missing him on out patterns...

I suspect that most of the ball-placement issues would fall squarely on Fitz.  If Smith is pushed too wide, and Fitz completes it to him but he's out of bounds - that's most likely on Smith.  But that's not what's been happening.  Maybe Fitz needs to learn how fast he is - but he didn't lead Marshall optimally on the first play yesterday either...

Smith should probably be doing a better job of fighting for the ball - but that doesn't mean he's "lost" (as other posters have said).

Decker and Marshall can hide some of Fitz's short-comings. Devin exacerbates them.

I definitely agree with this.

Skins are loaded with offensive weapons but like us have questionable QB play. Jordan Reed and DJax injury status will play into how difficult a game it is.  

Archived