Trump Sends Woody To U.K.; Makes Jets Great Again

Squirt

3 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Your congratulating him, why exactly?  He did nothing to deserve this.  This is obviously a quid pro quo situation. 

Woody donated to a campaign... and he is being rewarded for no other reason besides that.

The reason it is England, is because they are an ally, he wont have to do anything, and I doubt Woody can speak another language.

If you ever post something that I agree with, it might be the first time.

I'm certainly no Trump fan, but even his biggest critics have to admit he knows how to delegate.  Many will agree he is a complete fool a lot of the time.  

So how does he become a billionaire and now president?  He knows how to surround himself with the best.

I'm sure Woody did a whole lot more than just donate.  He probably played a HUGE role in getting Trump elected.  

Perhaps Woody is a Russian agent?

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Your congratulating him, why exactly?  He did nothing to deserve this.  This is obviously a quid pro quo situation. 

Woody donated to a campaign... and he is being rewarded for no other reason besides that.

The reason it is England, is because they are an ally, he wont have to do anything, and I doubt Woody can speak another language.

you may want to get your anger checked out, it's not healthy.

1 hour ago, Jettington said:

This happens a lot, elected Presidents appoint prominent supporters to ambassadorships. I don't think it's a good practice but everyone does it. Obama made the owner of the Steelers Dan Rooney ambassador to Ireland.

I'm somewhat thrilled by this as it means the Jets will get some different leadership for a few years without Woody possibly screwing things up.

8 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

No offense to Ireland, but particularly with Brexit the Ambassadorship to GB is a real job.   This is not a play job.  Woody will have real things to do.  Has he ever held a real job?

Why does this mean he won't have any control?

They are a few hours ahead, but it works out perfectly to be debriefed. MacCagnan chugs enough coffee that he'll be up all night anyway, and Bowles gets in a good nap during game time so he should be well rested to report to Woody by the time he gets up.

I see it almost as a bad sign because next year is crucial to the Jets. If they struggle, they need to clean the house, especially the coaching staff and I don't want an owner too busy with tea time to pay attention to the football team, or a brother too scared to make a bold move.

What exactly is the point of Ambassadors anyway? I get it in the past, you they acted as representatives of a Nation but with the advances in communication and travel, what do they really do? Are they like the season ticket reps with the Jets? Promising this and that, representing the team and how much they care about you?

20 minutes ago, varjet said:

No offense to Ireland, but particularly with Brexit the Ambassadorship to GB is a real job.   This is not a play job.  Woody will have real things to do.  Has he ever held a real job?

Good points.  Bad choice, then.

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

Gonna leave this open, but please let's leave politics out of this. Plenty of places to discuss that, we don't want people fighting here.

This is really good news though, if this is definitely true, getting Woody out of the day to day is big. Think about it, Woody talks to Bowles every week. What a waste of time. Let's say that talk is one hour (I have no idea). Bowles probably spends 3X that amount of time just expressing disbelief to his inner circle.

Can you believe that Woody asked ____? Or that Woody actually suggested ___?

Freeing Bowles up from these conversations can't hurt. Freeing the organization up from Woody's control can't hurt.

Same goes for Macc. Let's get a true head of football operations in here.

Oh, the candle power in those meetings. Think splitting a box of M&Ms rather badly  rather than the atom. Perhaps we don't want Bowles to have any free time. Would probably punt on 2nd down habitually. 

44 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Thats how it works....  have you ever heard Caroline Kennedy speak???   She "aint smart" and she is the ambassador to japan.

SAME REASON.

:lol::D:lol:

Trump Names Extremely Successful Jets Owner Woody Johnson Ambassador To England

011917woodyjohnson.jpg
Johnson, seen here getting a summary of another notoriously successful Jets season. (Kris Connor/Getty Images for Cantor Fitzgerald)

Jets owner Woody Johnson has been named the United State's ambassador to England according to a tweet from CNBC that was later confirmed by Johnson himself.

For God's sake if you're picking a New York-area football owner to give an important job, at least pick John Mara, who exudes a baseline level of competence.

Johnson isn't the first NFL owner appointed as an ambassador to a foreign nation, and he also isn't the first pro sports figure to be connected to a Trump ambassadorship. However, it needs to be said that at least Bobby Valentine had connections and a proven record of success in Japan, as well as government experience. And as the Times points out, Dan Rooney had involved himself in the Irish peace process before he got his post in Ireland. Rooney was also the owner of one of the NFL's most respected franchises and spearheaded efforts to get more black coaches in the league.

Johnson, for his part, is known for being an heir to the Johnson and Johnson fortune, paying the then highest-ever price for a sports franchise, losing to James Dolan in the fight over a West Side football stadium and a shady tax dodge. As for the team he paid so much money for, well, as any Jets fan in the New York/New Jersey area will tell you or howl into a WFAN call screener's ear, the Jets have been the gold standard in anti-excellence. Small blips of success here and there, it's hard to know what's been a more sterling moment in Johnson's ownership tenure: the Butt Fumble or the discovery of an entire entrance gate being given over to routine sexual harassment of female fans. 

So of course it makes sense that the man obsessed with "winning" would pick the owner of said team to head up our diplomatic efforts in England, a country whose government is in the midst of its own slowly unfolding national crisis and still isn't exactly sure of what our intentions are. 

Much in the same way that Trump has had a change of heart about Rick Perry's IQ, the president-elect appeared to have felt differently about Johnson and his abilities just a little over a year ago:

If there's any good news for anyone in this situation, its Jets fans. An earlier report on the possibility of Johnson becoming our ambassador to England noted that Johnson would be sure to step away from his day-to-day role in running the team. So buck up, Jets fans. If humanity makes it to the 2019 Super Bowl, maybe Gang Green will be playing in it.

comments:

i've grown up a Knicks, Jets, Islanders and Mets fan. it's really been quite the ******* sports life.

that said, i think Woody is the absolute worst owner of the bunch in my lifetime. Dolan is ******* terrible, but the at least he has the Rangers to balance out the Knicks, so he's not totally incompetent.

Woody is beyond totally incompetent. i met the guy once in the Meadowlands parking lot before a game and he reminded me of an actual piece of walking wood. **** everything about that piece of sh!t.

8 minutes ago, Matthew007b said:

good for him - interested to hear more about his brother.  

Woody Johnson's successor at Jets: Who is Christopher Johnson?

By Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com 
Email the author | Follow on Twitter 
on January 19, 2017 at 3:02 PM, updated January 19, 2017 at 3:45 PM

Even though Jets owner Woody Johnson is going to be Donald Trump's ambassador to the United Kingdom, Johnson will still own the Jets, as he has since January of 2000, when he purchased the team.

That isn't going to change while Johnson is stationed in London for (presumably) the next four years. 

But somebody else will have to run the Jets' day-to-day operations while Johnson is absent, since he can't do both jobs at once. 

And that somebody, according to Pro Football Talk, likely will be Johnson's younger brother, Christopher Wold Johnson, probably in conjunction with the Jets' current president, Neil Glat, who has held that job since April of 2012. 

Earlier this month, PFT reported Woody Johnson was preparing to surrender day-to-day control of the Jets to his younger brother, in the event that the U.K. ambassadorship came through. 

Surely, Johnson will remain in contact with his day-to-day operations successor while overseas. His younger brother isn't going to unilaterally fire coach Todd Bowles after next season if the Jets stink again. 

But as the Jets prepare for the 2017 season, Johnson's impending absence shouldn't have too much impact on the daily work routines of Bowles and general manager Mike Maccagnan. It's not like Johnson was out scouting players. 

Still, a change atop the Jets' power structure is a big deal, even if Woody isn't completely disappearing. So here are five things to know about Christopher Wold Johnson: 

Not a green man: He is 12 years younger than Woody, who turns 70 in April, according to a 2004 New York Times story. So we're not talking about a 40-year-old inexperienced guy here, someone who has never been around the Jets. Christopher has been. He knows his way around the franchise, though he obviously hasn't been its owner for 17 years, like Woody has. 

Only living brother: He was one of Woody's four siblings. Two are dead. According to that Times story, younger brothers Keith (cocaine overdose) and Billy (motorcycle accident) died in 1975. Christopher is one of Woody's two remaining siblings, along with sister Elizabeth (Libet) Ross Johnson, who is three years younger than Woody. All three siblings have an ungodly amount of money. 

Hasn't worked for the family company: Of Bobby Johnson's five children (Woody and his siblings), none has ever worked for Johnson & Johnson, the family's business, which Bobby's grandfather co-founded. This, according to a 2013 Daily Beast story, which also noted Bobby is the last Johnson family member to work for the business. He died in 1970. 

At least somewhat involved in politics: Christopher isn't as visible in the Republican political landscape as Woody. But check out this 2008 John McCain presidential campaign event document published by The Washington Post. Woody is listed as the event's chairman, while Mr. and Mrs. Christopher W. Johnson are listed as the event's co-chairmen, along with many others. 

A taste for culture: Manhattan's Morgan Library & Museum showcases the former study and library of J.P. Morgan. It houses culture artifacts from a wide range of eras. This news item from the museum notes that an illustration from the first edition of the 1925 novel "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" was "purchased as the gift of Christopher Wold Johnson," and thus, acquired by the museum

2 hours ago, Fibonacci said:

Expect Jets to play a game in London in 2018. 

Woody is a wanker.

They'll probably play the Jaguars.  Nothing like the annual rubbish matchup at Wembley.

I can hear the Premiere League chants now.

"We're not going down,

We're not going up,

We're the Jets,

And we don't give a f*ck"

"Chim-chimminy, Chim-chimminy,

chim-chim-charee,

We're the Jets and we suck a big fat D"

Very often Ambassadorships are gifts for contributions. And the people selected know nothing about the country they are going to be sent to. You'd think we would send people who were scholars and students of these countries and had spent a lot of time there. I really don't really think Woody knows anything at all about the UK. Just like he doesn't know about football. 

good for woody and maybe great for the jets.  the word is he will ask his brother to take over.  don't know a thing about his brother but maybe it'll be kinda like the yankees ultimately settling on steinbrenner's son for control and he started making some smart moves.  imo the best thing for chris johnson to do is change the organizational structure so mac calls the hc shots or get a football guy in to oversee the jets.

The UK Ambassador can actually do a lot of damage, i.e. - Joe Kennedy.  You got Brexit, Russian aggression in Eastern Europe, another Scottish referendum looming, etc.  With all that brewing, Woody will probably be trying to sell Theresa May on the benefits of PSLs.

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

President elect Donald Trump announces that Jet owner Woody Johnson is the Ambassador To the UK

Congratulations to Woody.  I wish him the best of luck, and success, in his new diplomatic role representing our country in my home country.

Lets hope whomever takes management responsibility for the Jets in the interim lets Macc do his job.  

Congratulations to Woody.  I wish him the best of luck, and success, in his new diplomatic role representing our country in my home country.

Lets hope whomever takes management responsibility for the Jets in the interim lets Macc do his job.  

Forgive me if I take a pass on the working class hero routine so popular amongst lower economic class Jets fans when discussing anyone who makes more than they do....

3 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

HE'S YOUR PROBLEM NOW, YOU WANKERS AND KNOBS. NOW GO WATCH SOME FOOTIE ON THE TELLIE WHILE YOU EAT BLOOD SAUSAGE AND BEANS IN YOUR FLIPPER FLAPPER.

FYI That's how they talk there.

@AFJF

It is on. Like Donkey Kong. :)

4 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Johnson and Johnson had no need for him...   he has been unable to get the Jets above basic mediocrity, OK, let the Brits have him.

his father left johnson and johnson decades ago, woody had never worked at J&J, ever

Less of control the last 2-3 years. He was the one who orchestrated the Revis deal. Not sure if I have seen a deal ever work out worse other than maybe the 21M this year that As$whiler is getting. He is the biggest thief in American history. Woody also probably played a role in Fitz being re-signed this past year.  Sure, everyone really wanted to know if he had another year like 2015 in him, but this same story played out in Buffalo some years back. Did anyone think this clown got better with time?. Sure our options were limited, but for that 12M we could have paid Hoyer 2M like the Bears did and he could have competed with Geno and Petty for the job. Has he won it they could have cut Geno and the money spent on Hoyer was about a wash with Geno. Had he lost it Geno would have started till we gave way to Petty, which would have been much earlier in the season giving Petty possibly a better situation and more games to work with. In either scenario we would have had an extra 11-12M to either spend in 2016 on OL and other positions ore carry it over to 2017 where we could have had even more to spend than we will after the fire sale. But instead we went through this wasted season with now only ~300K to carry over to 2017. Those type of mistakes have Woody's name all over it since he was the one who wasted a 4th round pick and how many millions for Tebow, which forces Stanton a good backup or even potential starter for us to go to the Cardinals plus get 500K for nothing due to his contract at the time. These are moves all for back pages of newspapers that never help a team short or long term. No, this guy being out of the picture is definitely a good thing since bad decisions like I stated could not be done any worse by anybody.  

Archived