Why do we need the first overall pick?

UnitedWhofans

7 hours ago, Maxman said:

I know. When the draft rolls around and Darnold isn't selected # 1 it will be funny. DMC...we have to get DMC. Lose this game. Guys DMC is a beast. 

The Jets win, DMC goes to the Raiders at 3. The Jets draft Gholston at 5.

Guess what?

• DMC has had a nice career with one 1,000 yard season for the team that drafted him.
  • He has average year is 602.5 yards rushing.
  • Joe Flacco was drafted 18th overall that year.

The Jets aren't going to be close to the first pick. I have said it a million times, they won't be drafting in the top 5. The defense showed why today.

You are so excited about mediocrity for the rest of your life. I'm jealous

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We don't need the first overall but Darnold and Rosen are such good prospects that they stand our head and shoulders over the others. They are 1st overall picks in most drafts. On the otherhand guys like Lamar Jackson, Baker Mayfield, Josh Allen, Luke Falk are all also legitimate first rounders that would be top 5 another year.

1983 NFL Draft; (example as one of the better QB drafts in NFL History)

1. 1.1 = John Elway
  2. 1.7 = Todd Blackledge
  3. 1.14  = Jim Kelly
  4. 1.15 = Tony Eason
  5. 1.24 = Ken O'Brien
  6. 1.27 = Dan Marino

The game has changed and these would be much higher picks (top ten?) picks this year

Coincidentally there are potentially the same number of first round QB's this year - they are (not in order)

1. Sam Darnold    
  2. Mason Rudolph    
  3. Josh Rosen    
  4. Baker Mayfield  
  5. Luke Falk  
  6. Josh Allen    
  7. Lamar Jackson

Jets, still need to make the right selection, regardless of draft position

12 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Sam Darnold

Josh Rosen

JOsh Allen

Clayton Thorson

Baker Mayfield

Jake BRowning

Luke Falk

Lamar JAckson

This is a QB loaded draft. The Jets dont need the top pick to get a good QB. So dont bitch about winning a game with the young talent performing well

It's either darnold or Rosen the others don't need the time of day, we need top 3 pick

I like Darnold just as much as anyone else and he makes alot if great plays/throws but his INT's really should not be overlooked. You can be a fantastic QB in the NFL but if your throwing pics almost as much as throwing TD's that's a problem. I prefer the pic/TD ratio of Rosen every day.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

We don't, but the next time Macc is in a bidding war to get a future franchise signal caller like he was with Philly to move up, and get Wentz he needs to win that bidding war no matter the cost, and no matter the outcome (QB busts, or succeeds), because not trying because your scared of failure is just that failure.

2 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

It's gonna be really interesting around here when Hackenberg is starting Week 1 in 2018 and the Jets select Minkah Fitzpatrick in the 1st round.

If they don't have Darnold, or Rosen still on the board when they pick next draft then not picking a QB just because is the right move, hopefully the Jets get a true edge rusher like Arden Key, or Franchise LT, or a playmaker at ANY offensive position.  You don't over draft Josh Allen just because, or any of the other QB's with huge question marks.

12 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Josh Rosen

Sam Darnold 

Baker Mayfield / Lamar JAckson 

Jake BRowning

Clayton Thorson / Luke Falk

JOsh Allen

This is a QB loaded draft. The Jets dont need the top pick to get a good QB. So dont bitch about winning a game with the young talent performing well

more like it

17 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

We don't, but the next time Macc is in a bidding war to get a future franchise signal caller like he was with Philly to move up, and get Wentz he needs to win that bidding war no matter the cost, and no matter the outcome (QB busts, or succeeds), because not trying because your scared of failure is just that failure.

well due to the Richardson trade we do have 2 second round picks. If the Jets end up winning some games and end up around 7-12 on the draft board moving up to number 2 wont be impossible.

11 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

If they don't have Darnold, or Rosen still on the board when they pick next draft then not picking a QB just because is the right move, hopefully the Jets get a true edge rusher like Arden Key, or Franchise LT, or a playmaker at ANY offensive position.  You don't over draft Josh Allen just because, or any of the other QB's with huge question marks.

You don't draft Allen, period. We already have the guy with all the physical tools, strong arm, blah blah... Hackenburg. We need to draft a for real QB and to me its still:

Rosen

Darnold

if neither of those 2 are options then you target the QB that you think would be best in our Offense. Which right now I think its Mayfield, for this offense.

3 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

It'll be Petty handing off to Barkley with Josh Allen waiting in the wings, after we trade back into the first round to grab him.  

As crazy as it would be to not draft a QB next April/May, Barkley looks so impressive that it almost wouldn't bother me.  His highlights are ridiculous.  He might be better than Elliot, Gurley or anyone else that's come out in the last 10 years.  And a RB like that would make any QB we put out there look a lot better.  I still want Rosen or Darnold but if we end up with Petty and Barkley, and the young WRs develop and the defense continues to play like it did yesterday, I could root for this team with some hope again.

4 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

If Darnold/Rosen are off the board when the Jets pick, I would really like to see the Jets pick Barkley in the first and get a QB in the second, or trade back into the first round to get a QB. I could live with a backfield of Barkley and Falk/Rudolph/etc...

This would be a welcoming consolation prize. But so help me god if they pick any defensive player. I don't even want the best available OLB that looks the part. Bowles has enough to work with for now on that side.

16 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

This would be a welcoming consolation prize. But so help me god if they pick any defensive player. I don't even want the best available OLB that looks the part. Bowles has enough to work with for now on that side.

Amen. If they end up picking a defensive player, I'll be pissed (unless he ends up being the second coming of Lawrence Taylor).

Watson looked fvckin' great yesterday. Went into Foxboro and came thisclose to beating the Pats. He really deserved a better fate. No knock on Adams, but a really good QB is significantly more important than a  safety and always will be. 

Problem is this franchise pretends it can win something with a very good defense and an offense of duct tape, free agents, low round draft picks and bubble gum. it's been that way for a very long time. Simply watching them win 6 -7 games to eff themselves out of a franchise QB AGAIN is pointless. Will never root for them to lose. Big Picture:  there have been too many bum fights won that wound up being a log term disaster. can no longer pretend otherwise. Winning with a 38 year old QB who will be gone in January is a waste.

Will give OC Morton a world of credit; getting the most you possibly could out of this low talent offense and has found some decent OL pieces.  Hard-pressed to do a better job than this. 

14 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Sam Darnold

Josh Rosen

JOsh Allen

Clayton Thorson

Baker Mayfield

Jake BRowning

Luke Falk

Lamar JAckson

We might not win another game but usually when you draft first overall your team is a dumpster fire. Which probably makes it difficult for said player to be successful. Which probably makes free agebts hard to attract, including udfa. Drafting QB is such an inexact science. Below is a list since 2000 for reference. Jury is still out on most.

2001 Michael Vick

2002 David Carr 

2003 Carson Palmer 

2004 Eli Manning 

2005 Alex Smith 

2007 JaMarcus Russell 

2009 Matthew Stafford 

2010 Sam Bradford 

2011 Cam Newton 

2012 Andrew Luck

2015 Jameis Winston

2016 Jared Goff

3 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

If Darnold/Rosen are off the board when the Jets pick, I would really like to see the Jets pick Barkley in the first and get a QB in the second, or trade back into the first round to get a QB. I could live with a backfield of Barkley and Falk/Rudolph/etc...

Id take this one step further - Barkley in the first and 2 QBs in the 2nd-middle rounds.  Its such a crapshoot to figure out who is Dak Prescott and who is Jake Locker, that Id rather increase our chances and go into TC with Petty, and some combination of Mayfield/Luke Falk/Jackson.

Having Barkley in this offense, with Enunwa in the H-Back type role he played in 2015 and a legitimate TE, would allow the team to really run the ball, and help a young QB.

14 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

And Geno Smith had 42 TDS and 6 ints in his last year in college. I'm sure whatever team drafted him is happy about that pick.

Darnold, Darnold, Darnold. Picking a college QB favorite is like picking a favorite in the Kentucky derby. Nothing is a sure bet. Lets just get better every week.

18 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Sam Darnold

Josh Rosen

JOsh Allen

Clayton Thorson

Baker Mayfield

Jake BRowning

Luke Falk

Lamar JAckson

Tim Couch

Donovan McNabb

Akili Smith

Daunte Culpepper

Cade McNown

Shaun King

Brock Huard

Joe Germaine

Aaron Brooks

Kevin Daft

boy tough crowd.  no pleasing anyone after a win.  in truth the jets don't need to have the first pick.  if they want to draft a particular qb so badly they can go get him.  trade future picks if necessary.  whatever it takes. as long as they don't tip their hand, a reasonable number of draft picks can be used.  or they can go into the free agent market or even trade for one.  i'll bet the bungles are plenty upset with red ryder at the moment. not that he'd be my first choice but he does have a decent track record.

but the first pick is very desirable in qb rich years simply that's the position that teams go ga ga over. the jets could conceivably trade out of the number one slot and choose the second or third without too much drop off.

and then , of course, there's still the hack and petty dilemma.  no telling if either of those guys can play reliably in the big show.  hopefully we'll see but at the moment it looks like one will get in only with the season out of reach.  as they say, there's plenty of football left and the patsies look plenty vulnerable. 

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

If the jets had the 1st pick in the draft and traded it for a bunh of picks next year that would be the very last straw.  End of line.

it depends.  the number one pick should give them flexibility to move down a place or two.  unless one of these college qb's stats getting some real separation there's no telling which is the right guy.

Archived