QB Prospects (A Lengthy List)

Warfish

I always try to remember Erie accorsis scouting report on Eli manning. Didn't include any stats, except to say that he threw 3 interceptions in the game and then recommended the giants trade up to get him. 

Does he stand in the pocket, take a hit and just dust it off? 

Is he a leader? 

Can he make NFL throws? 

Is he accurate? 

Peeps get way to caught up with stats 

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Pac said:

So realistically it's Jackson, Mayfield, or Allen right?

And Macc will have to in all likelyhood move up to get the one he likes the most?

I've never seen any of them play but Jackson sure does sound like he'd be the most fun to watch.

As would Mayfield, Jackson is a Rolls Royce but Mayfield, while scrappy,  just has something about him and as a passer the ball gets out of his hand in a hurry, his arm is as impressive as Jackson but in a differen way and he’s also capable of making plays with his feet. 

I’m honestly at the point where any QB will be an upgrade, there are a lot of interesting QB prospects who will go from pick 20 and later, guys like Mason Rudolph, Luke Falk, Ryan Finley, Thorson, Riley Ferguson even Jake Briwning and Logan Woodside could have decent NFL careers. The strength in this class is the depth not necessarily that the top is full of can’t miss prospects. 

If we end up with a top 8 pick i’d be shocked if at least 2 of Allen, Jackson and Mayfiejd aren’t there. Remember there are other players and positions out there that teams need, it’s not just about the QB’s. There are guys like Bradley Chubb, Saquon Barkley, Connor Williams, Derwin James, Courtland Sutton etc etc

2 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I'm going to laugh my ass off when we pass on all of them.

They already picked their quarterback and they've spent the last two years developing him.

2018 is the year of the Hack.

I have a feeling it'll be Allen and that we'll regret it.  I would do what it takes to get Mayfield.  He's going to be a legitimate NFL QB.

WWTDD?

2 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

i look at it like this.  it's unlikely that any running qb is going to be more elusive than michael vick, he was the best we may ever see.  and yet, he was erratic as a pocket passer and overall was only ok, though his highlights were amazing and his arm was unreal.  so when i look at jackson and compare him to vick, i see someone who isn't as athletically talented as vick, and has the same inherent accuracy issues.  as a gm, i would rather stake my reputation to a guy like mayfield, who is much more of a pure pocket passer and already has the reputation of being a film junkie.  

Couldn’t be more wrong imho...Jackson is electrifying as a runner, rushed for way more yards and TD’S than Vick and as a passer there’s no comparison....Jackson is streets ahead

and Vick went No 1 overall.

that said I get why Mayfield May be the more attractive option. 

2 hours ago, JiF said:

He's a tough player to manage.  You're drafting him because he's electric and can be deadly with his legs but do you want him to be running that much?  I don't think so. He's not built like Cam or Wilson for that matter and both were considerably better passers than Jackson in college.

And honestly, that scrambling non-stop to make a big play isn't sustainable.  Look how inconsistent Seattle is from week to week.  Now, I think that's more product of a terrible OLine but still, I think Seattle would prefer to have Russell in a clean pocket driving the ball down field rather than running for his life all the time.

As much as I like Jackson this is the worry,  can he be a purely pocket passer and dissect a defence without needing to take off and run every second play? 

He’d sure be fun to watch but does he have long term sustainable attributes? Only time will tell

2 hours ago, Pac said:

well you know more about college qb's then I do so I can't really debate it but if that's the case what's your ideal plan?

not take a QB in round 1?

sign Cousins?

Don't say that dumb crap that Macc will re-sign McCown to start and not draft a QB.  You know that's not happening..  If anything I got a hunch that McCown has played his last game in the NFL..  think he might call it quits.

I don't have a plan.  I cant interview these guys and work them out and I don't know that the Browns or the Giants are going to be willing to negotiate or at what cost.  Rosen seems like a real sh*t head so you'd have to vet him out.  Samsies Mayfield. But ideally, it's draft a franchise QB.  The only problem is this regime once again fiddled around with some dumb sh*t and did just enough to not suck bad enough.  And that's the other part, I don't trust this regime.  Watson seemed like a no-brainer.  They took a SS because of the big board.  If I look at what I presume to be Big Mac's big board based on pasts drafts, I don't see a QB being the selection at where the Jets end up drafting and who will be available.  I don't know why you have this supreme confidence they will. 

And WTF do I know?  I'm no expert duh despite my passion.  I just love college Football and watch a ton of it.  And because I'm a Jets fan the draft is the most exciting part of the year!  I just have a few rules that seem to be tried and true.  Don't draft an underclassman with 1 year of starting experience, don't take a player who has more rush attempts than completions (Jackson), don't take a QB who cant complete 60% of his passes in college (Hack/Jackson/Allen), be very careful with QB's that play in the Big 12 (Mayfied/Rudolph).  I'm a geek and have researched that sh*t and I cant find an example of a college QB overcoming those simple things.  More so than wins vs. losses and TD's vs. INT's.  It's simple and very similar to Coach Finstock's advice to Scotty in Teen Wolf.

I don't know what Cousins is going to cost and @Sperm Edwards pointed out how no team has ever won with as much as it's projected to cost against the cap to acquire Cousins, so that has me second guessing but I'm really close to just saying screw the draft and take the sure thing.  I don't trust this regime with finding or developing a young QB and I don't think they're going anywhere.  Todd clearly has no interest in starting a young QB so I think this is the best fit for this team.  The history of this team drafting QB's is pathetic so I think I'd just like to take the sure bet and hope he can continue to produce.  I personally think if you put the right team around him, you could win a Super Bowl with Cousins.  But like Sperm pointed out, that might be hard unless you just hit nothing but homeruns in the draft...and a few in the late rounds which has not happened with the Big Mac.

What do I think will happen?  They Jets take BAP in the first which wont be a QB, they take a flier on a QB in the 2nd or 3rd (Rudolph/Riley/Falk) and resign McCown.

2 hours ago, Larz said:

I always try to remember Erie accorsis scouting report on Eli manning. Didn't include any stats, except to say that he threw 3 interceptions in the game and then recommended the giants trade up to get him. 

Does he stand in the pocket, take a hit and just dust it off? 

Is he a leader? 

Can he make NFL throws? 

Is he accurate? 

Peeps get way to caught up with stats 

I tend to agree, and I’m a statistician 

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Is he coming out? I know a ton of guys were on the bandwagon after Alabama, but I think taking a closer look at the Georgia and Clemson games will temper some enthusiasm.  I sure don't see him as a top 10 pick this year.

I'm not sure.  Beating Bama and Ga is certainly another box to check off.  He seems like a good prospect.  I wouldn't mind using one of our seconds on him. 

3 hours ago, JiF said:

I don't have a plan.  I cant interview these guys and work them out and I don't know that the Browns or the Giants are going to be willing to negotiate or at what cost.  Rosen seems like a real sh*t head so you'd have to vet him out.  Samsies Mayfield. But ideally, it's draft a franchise QB.  The only problem is this regime once again fiddled around with some dumb sh*t and did just enough to not suck bad enough.  And that's the other part, I don't trust this regime.  Watson seemed like a no-brainer.  They took a SS because of the big board.  If I look at what I presume to be Big Mac's big board based on pasts drafts, I don't see a QB being the selection at where the Jets end up drafting and who will be available.  I don't know why you have this supreme confidence they will. 

And WTF do I know?  I'm no expert duh despite my passion.  I just love college Football and watch a ton of it.  And because I'm a Jets fan the draft is the most exciting part of the year!  I just have a few rules that seem to be tried and true.  Don't draft an underclassman with 1 year of starting experience, don't take a player who has more rush attempts than completions (Jackson), don't take a QB who cant complete 60% of his passes in college (Hack/Jackson/Allen), be very careful with QB's that play in the Big 12 (Mayfied/Rudolph).  I'm a geek and have researched that sh*t and I cant find an example of a college QB overcoming those simple things.  More so than wins vs. losses and TD's vs. INT's.  It's simple and very similar to Coach Finstock's advice to Scotty in Teen Wolf.

I don't know what Cousins is going to cost and @Sperm Edwards pointed out how no team has ever won with as much as it's projected to cost against the cap to acquire Cousins, so that has me second guessing but I'm really close to just saying screw the draft and take the sure thing.  I don't trust this regime with finding or developing a young QB and I don't think they're going anywhere.  Todd clearly has no interest in starting a young QB so I think this is the best fit for this team.  The history of this team drafting QB's is pathetic so I think I'd just like to take the sure bet and hope he can continue to produce.  I personally think if you put the right team around him, you could win a Super Bowl with Cousins.  But like Sperm pointed out, that might be hard unless you just hit nothing but homeruns in the draft...and a few in the late rounds which has not happened with the Big Mac.

What do I think will happen?  They Jets take BAP in the first which wont be a QB, they take a flier on a QB in the 2nd or 3rd (Rudolph/Riley/Falk) and resign McCown.

You'd think that after 56,000 posts you'd be able to answer the simple question of what you want to do about the QB.  You sure seemed to have a plan when it came to drafting your boy from Clemson.

No one on this board is an expert but the whole point is to talk sh-t about what we want to see happen.  I'm not asking for your resume..  just what you want to do.

Here I'll show you.. 

According to Jasons site no other QB needy teams are going to have anywhere near the cap space we're going to have.  This doesn't include how much more is cleared up when cutting Mo, Forte, etc and restructuring or cutting Skrine:

image.png

If Macc really wants Cousins, (and he's shown that he has in the past), there shouldn't be anything standing in the way of offering him the type of contract it will take to get him here. 

I was worried about Cousins not producing a winning record with the Redskins but THIS ARTICLE I read the other night alleviated some of my concerns.  With all this in mind I'd like to see the Jets make a serious run at Cousins.

If he proves too expensive or the Skins make the absurd move of franchising him to the tune of $35 mil then it's on to the draft. 

Even though I've never watched any of the QB's everyone is talking about take a snap, I can tell you I'd like to have them trade down if necessary to snag Mayfield or Jackson, resign McCown to mentor or play if necessary, boot Petty the F outta NJ, and tell Hack he has this offseason to show he can do something during the preseason or they're going to boot his ass too.

I am willing to bet anything that securing a long term answer at QB will be Maccs top priority this year.  Last year he wanted to understandably give Petty and Hack one more chance to turn into something.  Now that they've shown they can't, it's time to attack.  Not sure why this is so difficult for many of you to grasp. 

13 hours ago, Warfish said:

Jackson feel like the kind of player who would set franchise records.....in Interceptions and number of times sacked in a year.

Then he might follow that up with the RGIII school of football injuries.

Can't say I'm a big fan....unless he's drafted to play some sort of RB/H-Back position, not QB.

6 into. How do you add that up?

1 hour ago, Pac said:

You'd think that after 56,000 posts you'd be able to answer the simple question of what you want to do about the QB.  You sure seemed to have a plan when it came to drafting your boy from Clemson.

No one on this board is an expert but the whole point is to talk sh-t about what we want to see happen.  I'm not asking for your resume..  just what you want to do.

Here I'll show you.. 

According to Jasons site no other QB needy teams are going to have anywhere near the cap space we're going to have.  This doesn't include how much more is cleared up when cutting Mo, Forte, etc and restructuring or cutting Skrine:

image.png

If Macc really wants Cousins, (and he's shown that he has in the past), there shouldn't be anything standing in the way of offering him the type of contract it will take to get him here. 

I was worried about Cousins not producing a winning record with the Redskins but THIS ARTICLE I read the other night alleviated some of my concerns.  With all this in mind I'd like to see the Jets make a serious run at Cousins.

If he proves too expensive or the Skins make the absurd move of franchising him to the tune of $35 mil then it's on to the draft. 

Even though I've never watched any of the QB's everyone is talking about take a snap, I can tell you I'd like to have them trade down if necessary to snag Mayfield or Jackson, resign McCown to mentor or play if necessary, boot Petty the F outta NJ, and tell Hack he has this offseason to show he can do something during the preseason or they're going to boot his ass too.

I am willing to bet anything that securing a long term answer at QB will be Maccs top priority this year.  Last year he wanted to understandably give Petty and Hack one more chance to turn into something.  Now that they've shown they can't, it's time to attack.  Not sure why this is so difficult for many of you to grasp. 

Since last year, Cousins has lost Jordan Reed (injury), Chris Thompson (injury), Pierre Garcon (FA), Desean Jackson (FA) and those guys were replaced by Pryor (who was lost and benched), Doctson (raw potential) and not much else. 

Cousins is still on pace for 4000 yards, 28-11 TD/INT. with a 66pct Comp. Pct. Cousins also has what you generally want in your QB, and that's a big chip on your shoulder. Cousins isn't the type of guy that will get his money and be content (Wilkerson). He seems like the guy that will want to prove everyone wrong the rest of his career. 

Don't get me wrong, I am all for drafting  a QB in the top 10, but if a guy like Cousins falls in your lap and all it costs you is some cap space and you get to keep your 1st/2 2nds to build a young/cheap foundation around Cousins then I am ALL for it. With our cap space, we could get Cousins/Tackle/DB and still have plenty of money left over. 

If Cousins can't be had, then you draft the best QB that drops to you at 8-10, or use the extra second round pick to help move up a couple of spots to snag whoever drops past the Giants/Browns. Personally, I think Macc knows that he doesn't have 3 years to develop a QB, so a kid like Josh Allen that probably can't start for at least a year is off the table. Baker Mayfield seems like the safer bet since he has the most college reps/experience and therefore is the most NFL ready QB in the draft. 

24 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Since last year, Cousins has lost Jordan Reed (injury), Chris Thompson (injury), Pierre Garcon (FA), Desean Jackson (FA) and those guys were replaced by Pryor (who was lost and benched), Doctson (raw potential) and not much else. 

Cousins is still on pace for 4000 yards, 28-11 TD/INT. with a 66pct Comp. Pct. Cousins also has what you generally want in your QB, and that's a big chip on your shoulder. Cousins isn't the type of guy that will get his money and be content (Wilkerson). He seems like the guy that will want to prove everyone wrong the rest of his career. 

Don't get me wrong, I am all for drafting  a QB in the top 10, but if a guy like Cousins falls in your lap and all it costs you is some cap space and you get to keep your 1st/2 2nds to build a young/cheap foundation around Cousins then I am ALL for it. With our cap space, we could get Cousins/Tackle/DB and still have plenty of money left over. 

If Cousins can't be had, then you draft the best QB that drops to you at 8-10, or use the extra second round pick to help move up a couple of spots to snag whoever drops past the Giants/Browns. Personally, I think Macc knows that he doesn't have 3 years to develop a QB, so a kid like Josh Allen that probably can't start for at least a year is off the table. Baker Mayfield seems like the safer bet since he has the most college reps/experience and therefore is the most NFL ready QB in the draft. 

This.  Picking 10 in this draft means there is no guarantee that we get a QB they like.  There is no guarantee that they even like Mayfield or Jackson.  Since Darnold and Rosen are not options, the Jets choices are simple.

Sign a veteran QB to lead this team or be forced to over pay for a second tier QB prospect.  And to be honest with you, Macc is out of chances with drafting QBs.  He’s missed badly on two already.  If he sits out free agency and goes into the draft HAVING to solve his QB puzzle, he is doomed.  If whoever he drafts doesn’t light it up right out of the gates, he won’t be employed long enough for the QB prospect to develop.

If he goes after Cousins, he can go into the draft and take BAP for real and not be forced to take a long shot QB.  And if they do still draft one, it will be similar to when we drafted Pennington.  Nobody cared that he sat the bench for the first few seasons.

7 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Preach! This idea that we have Jet fans here that wouldn't want Cousins if available is mind boggling. I don't care who you draft in this upcoming draft, Kirk Cousins will probably have 3 years in a row that are much better than some neophyte QB. 

We just paid Mo Wilkerson 17.5 million for 2 sacks but fans here poo poo paying Cousins 25 million a year? (This 30 million everyone keeps repeating will not happen). Think about the money we wasted on Revis/Skrine/Gilchrist back in 2015. I would rather take my chances on a QB like Cousins with a huge front loaded contract than any other move we could make this offseason. Then you get to keep your draft picks (3 in the top 80), and you would still be able to get a few more pcs to the puzzle. 

The Saints turned their team around in 1 year after a great draft. They were 7-9 three years in a row! The Jets defense this year, even with their issues of giving up big plays is still better than the Saints defenses in 2014,2015,2016. Get a QB, fix this Oline line, get a #1 RB, and a pass rusher, score some points, control the clock & it changes everything.

They would have approximately 70 million after paying Cousins, plus 3 picks in the top 80, high 3rd & 4th rounders, 5 thru 7, UDFAs, plus the usual finds that are late salary cap cuts if they have money left over. Having a starting QB, you can definitely turn a team around in one offseason. We just need a few studs, we have a lot of "good" players. We need a couple great players.

28 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Preach! This idea that we have Jet fans here that wouldn't want Cousins if available is mind boggling. I don't care who you draft in this upcoming draft, Kirk Cousins will probably have 3 years in a row that are much better than some neophyte QB. 

The Saints turned their team around in 1 year after a great draft. They were 7-9 three years in a row! The Jets defense this year, even with their issues of giving up big plays is still better than the Saints defenses in 2014,2015,2016. Get a QB, fix this Oline line, get a #1 RB, and a pass rusher, score some points, control the clock & it changes everything.

It’s a lot to invest in a QB like Cousins when this team has so many holes, is very young and lacks depth in talent. He’s just not a good fit here. We have an OL that is in shambles.  It needs to be completely redone. You need 2 tackles and a center. As it stands ALL these guys are jags and back ups except Carpenter and Winters, who’s mediocre.  You still don’t have a #1 WR or #1 RB. Youre talking at least 5 pieces on offense there, in addition to a QB to groom under Cousins. Then the D.  The DL is average at best with depth. Big Cat, while oozing potential, hasn’t had a great 2nd year. The LB’s suck FLAT out. They can’t cover, they can’t rush the QB. The CB’s SUCK. Mac went 1-2 on safties last draft. Wouldn’t be surprising to see him do it again on OL or CB or LB.  That’s another 5 -7 pieces. Cousins is in his prime. Why would he come to a team with so many holes, a team that has a poor talent pool, a team whose GM has not drafted well or allocated money to FA’s well. Nope. Many other teams are better suitors for Cousins. 

15 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

wentz tore his acl diving.  it's just not how they think.

True but you dont see guys like Brady or Brees, Montana, Manning or numerous others do stupid things like this. As great as they are or were, they play within their limitations. 

10 hours ago, TJ said:

I'm not sure.  Beating Bama and Ga is certainly another box to check off.  He seems like a good prospect.  I wouldn't mind using one of our seconds on him. 

He didn't check that box off.  Georgia destroyed them. You guys are complaining about too many stats, so I will leave them out.  He could still go in the first, but I sure don't see him going top 10.  Not in this class. It might make sense for him to stay in and come out next year when he can go at the top of the draft.  He has this year and 3 games at Baylor playing pinball.  I'm not seeing the sure thing 

There was no Plan B, because they didn't develop one throughout the course of the season. As was the case in the loss to Clemson in Week 2, the Tigers' offensive line was vulnerable in obvious passing situations, quarterback Jarrett Stidham got happy feet and there was no offensive identity from the middle of the first quarter on.

1 hour ago, Dinamite said:

Redskins will likely tag Cousins, even if with the goal to trade him.   Is anyone willing to sign Cousins to big money AND give up a pick (eg high #2)?

I don't believe that will be an option for them. If tagged Cousins will need to approve of a trade because no team is trading for him without a contract in place. I think Cousins is more than willing to play out the 1 year tag at $34M and then hit FA next year. He plays the most protected position in the NFL, he'll likely get a monster deal in 2019 so just collect the bonus $34M this season. Not to mention $34M is probably half the guaranteed money he'd get on a long term deal so if he goes into 2019 after a bad year he'd only need to make up $25M in guarantees to replace the deal he'd have gotten this year. 

worst case scenario he gets a career ending injury and just made close to $70M guaranteed the 3 years he would have been franchised.

The Redskins will Transition Tag him so they can try to match a deal but he is good as gone and they'll receive no compensation from a team.

10 hours ago, Pac said:

Here I'll show you.. 

image.png

I gave you an answer to your stupid question, penis face.  The ideal scenario is drafting a top notch QB prospect and the fact you need that explained is baffling.  The problem is as I've explained over and over again, I don't see that happening because of draft position and who will be available and Mac's commitment to his big board.  So my fall back plan is go after Cousins because this regime/franchise sucks at draft QB's and they clearly have no interest in developing/playing a young QB.  The issue with this plan is we don't know if he's even available and we don't know what he's going to cost or if he would even want to play for such a terrible team with the owners baby brother in charge in a conference dominated by Tom Brady.

So my plan you're so eager to learn is meaningless just like your stupid plan because I cant control anything the Jets do and neither can you.  Further, this year isn't so cut and dry as last year because the Jets are picking in no mans land as opposed to 6.  We don't know the cost to move up and I don't love who will be available when the Jets pic.  Last year, the plan was controllable.  Take Watson (or Mahomes).  It's not simple this year, you bozo.  I clearly like/d Watson much more than the guys who the Jets will have a shot at selecting with their pick this year.  I liked last years crop better in general.  For some reason, this offends a couple of you sensitive nancies and you get all worked up over it.

Nothing is difficult to grasp, you imbecile. Stop asking stupid questions, read what I'm typing and then accept that I don't share this supreme confidence you have in Mac or this draft class.  I'm glad your willing to bet anything that Mac has big plans for the QB position and Mac is going to attack!!!  I dont because nothing about Mac shows that he has the slightest clue as to how to prioritize the most important position in sports and I'm not in love with the options that will be available to the Jets. 

5 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I don't believe that will be an option for them. If tagged Cousins will need to approve of a trade because no team is trading for him without a contract in place. I think Cousins is more than willing to play out the 1 year tag at $34M and then hit FA next year. He plays the most protected position in the NFL, he'll likely get a monster deal in 2019 so just collect the bonus $34M this season. Not to mention $34M is probably half the guaranteed money he'd get on a long term deal so if he goes into 2019 after a bad year he'd only need to make up $25M in guarantees to replace the deal he'd have gotten this year. 

worst case scenario he gets a career ending injury and just made close to $70M guaranteed the 3 years he would have been franchised.

The Redskins will Transition Tag him so they can try to match a deal but he is good as gone and they'll receive no compensation from a team.

That's exactly the situation the Skins are in. They had their chances to keep him around long term and passed. Now he is, for all intents and purposes, a free agent. 

10 hours ago, Pac said:

Here I'll show you.. 

image.png

What the what? The Browns don't need a QB?   The 49ers?  They don't have Garoppolo under contract.  The Colts have Luck and Brissett, but neither of them are exactly sure things at this point.

I posted this in the Draft Forum:

For what it's worth this is PFF completion percentages when drops are factored in. I think this used with the eye test of seeing where each of these QB's is actually placing the balls should be a pretty decent way to evaluate them. Petty got completions this past weekend but a lot of them were shoe string catches or did not put his receiver in position to make a play after the catch. 

Adjusted Completion %                  Adjusted Completion % Under Pressure

ATT ADJ %   Pressure % ATT UP ADJ % UP
Rosen 453 74.4   29.7 113 68.8
Darnold 414 70.6   25.8 91 59.7
Jackson 400 73.1   34.4 107 66.3
Mayfield 348 82.6   25.4 71 70.0
Allen 252 65.7   39.0 84 52.2
Falk 535 74.7   25.8 106 65.9
Stidham 296 76.6   29.5 65 57.4

Analysis

- Mayfield completes almost every pass thrown, that could be attributed to the lower level of competition but is still leaps and bounds higher than the rest listed

- Rosen looks like the most NFL ready QB prospect

- Jackson's completion percentage puts him on par with the rest of the top passers in this discussion

- Stidham (I don't believe comes out) went up against the toughest defenses in the country and did reasonably well. He'll likely be a top QB taken next year

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

What the what? The Browns don't need a QB?   The 49ers?  They don't have Garoppolo under contract.  The Colts have Luck and Brissett, but neither of them are exactly sure things at this point.

If you think the 49ers are letting Jimmy G walk you are nuts. If they do then'd he becomes the number 1 target for us. Barring Darnold or Rosen saying "I'm not playing for the Browns" they will be headed to Cleveland. If they do say that to the Browns then guess what the top pick is up for grabs. The Colts I'll admit are sort of up in the air but they'd need to cut Luck before the 5th day of the new league year for this to be a possibility because they'd owe him $16M. I think they'd rather trade out of that pick or take Chubb who is arguably the best player in the country.

So yes the Jets are going to have a legit shot at Cousins, it's going to come down to where does he want to go.

16 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

Aren't the numbers skewed though? The Louisville games I watched, the play calling were designed runs for Jackson. You have to assume it's because Petrino felt that was the best way to move the ball and score. I don't believe any of his receivers are looked at as premium draft picks. Add to that, he is so dynamic with the running part of his game. 

Jackson is also a true Junior. I believe he became a starter in the middle of his freshman season, won the heisman his sophomore year and was 3rd in voting his junior season. He completed 54% 56% 60% of his passes. Completed 241 passes and attempted 208 rushes his junior year. That arrow is pointing up for a 20 year old.

I'm not going to pretend I know anything about scouting QBs but from what I can see, his game translates to what the Jets could really use going forward. We lack dynamic playmakers and chunk plays. Jackson can supply that, wether it's designed runs or plays that he can extend finding receivers down the field. Score enough points with hopefully a developing defense. Jackson would be a huge weapon in 4 minute drives to end games. As the Jets pick up more offensive playmakers, Jackson continues to develops as a passer. 

You can't fill all your holes with one off season. But hopefully Jackson can be dynamic enough offensively while the line is fixed, and playmakers are added and hopefully coupled with a developed defense, and for me you have a recipe for success going forward.

I don't know what it means when you asked are the runners skewed? He's a more effective runner than passer so his first 2 season, they leaned heavily on that.  This year, they totally changed how they called the game.  It was quite clear they were trying to showcase Jackson for the NFL

Again, I've be labored this point in the Watson vs. Jackson thread in the draft forum.  I don't want to repeat myself over and over again but I did give a nod to the improvements he made this year.  Still doesn't change the facts but definitely good to see if you're interested in Jackson. 

4 minutes ago, section314 said:

As far as Cousins goes, ask yourselves a simple question. After playing 5 years in the dysfunctional world of Daniel Synder , do you think this kid would even consider joining the sh*tshow known as the New York Jets? I don't care how much $ they offer him.

Again I'll ask, what contender is going to be able to pay him enough money up front to steal him away from the transition tag so the Redskins can't match the deal?

or

If the Redskins just decide to let him walk, how much is Cousins willing to leave on the table to go to a contender?

5 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Again I'll ask, what contender is going to be able to pay him enough money up front to steal him away from the transition tag so the Redskins can't match the deal?

or

If the Redskins just decide to let him walk, how much is Cousins willing to leave on the table to go to a contender?

the question is, how much more money will the jets offer than better teams or teams with more attractive situations?

if i'm cousins, i leave the nfc, it's too competitive.  i'd go to a team in the afc, not the east, where brady probably has a few more good years left.  i wonder if denver will make a huge push for him.  i could see cousins leaving some money on the table to go to the broncos, play under elway's guidance, in a weak division where they can make a good push for a bye next year.  the defense is there.  i can't see why cousins would want to go to the jets, they have shown zero interest in offense in the past 20 years or developing qbs.

Archived