FREE AGENT NEWS

joewilly12

1 minute ago, King P said:

I usually dismiss him, but he's been spot on this offeason for the most part. So I figured I'd throw that out there 

Appreciate you showing it for sure. Anything relevant is appreciated. Just prefer to act like anyone saying "not the Jets" is wrong haha

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love Honey Badger, but he can f*ck right off for $11-12 million per.

Upwards of $12 million a year for what would basically amount to a nickel corner for this team?

Skrine is a pretty damn good slot corner. Problem is that ever since Revis fell off a cliff, we’ve been forced to play him outside. 

Of course matching up a 5’9 180lb nickel against 6’2+ receivers out on the perimeter isn’t going to produce immaculate results.

With Claiborne back in the fold, I’d rather put that money towards further improving the OL and adding WR/TE depth.

We still need a DE opposite Leo as well, and I sure as sh*t don’t want to spend yet another high pick on another 5-Tech.

21 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Upwards of $12 million a year for what would basically amount to a nickel corner for this team?

Skrine is a pretty damn good slot corner. Problem is that ever since Revis fell off a cliff, we’ve been forced to play him outside. 

Of course matching up a 5’9 180lb nickel against 6’2+ receivers out on the perimeter isn’t going to produce immaculate results.

With Claiborne back in the fold, I’d rather put that money towards further improving the OL and adding WR/TE depth.

We still need a DE opposite Leo as well, and I sure as sh*t don’t want to spend yet another high pick on another 5-Tech.

We don’t play Skrine on the outside?? The fook is this? Not only that but cutting the penalty machine pretty much pays for half of it at 11-12 mill. 

46 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

yeah as exciting as it would be 11-12 is too much.

Macc is holding firm on his valuation of players hence the ASJ and Davis departures.  They're reportedly interested "at the right price" so ultimately I think he'll wind up elsewhere.

Skrine did play well for a good portion of last season and returning to the slot should help him out.  There are more important positions to fill and they have enough on D to win.

If we can get him for 9 or mayyybe 10 then it becomes more palatable.

I think Macc ultimately wants to have a nice amount of money next offseason as well and given the amount of 1 year deals they're throwing around they probably will.

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

But is there really going to be a difference between Josh Rosen, Sam Darnold, and Baker Mayfield?  Because they could have anyone of those three.  I mean, if you REALLY love one of those guys more than the other, sure.  But why not take Barkley, who would be a GREAT safety net for Taylor, let whoever ride the pine for a year (unless they can beat Taylor out), and set your offense up for many a year? 

Yes, there could be a HUGE difference in how these teams scout each of the QBs. Just because as Jets fans we are like "Just give me any of  them!!" doesn't mean that's how GMs will evaluate them. 

Even in your own head, you have eliminated Josh Allen because you don't like him, but he could be rated way higher than Mayfield by the Jets/Browns/Giants. 

We may have Lamar  Jackson rated ahead of Mayfield. 

Bucky Brooks just came out with a mock draft where Mayfield goes 27 to the Saints (and gives us Rosen at 6). it's possible Mayfield goes to us at 6 and Rosen falls. 

The Jets may only think that Rosen/Darnold are worth picks in the top 6 and if they are taken by the Giants and Browns at 1/2 then the Jets may just pick Barkley/Nelson/Chubb and then try and trade back into the end of the first to take Mayfield/Jackson. 

We may love Rosen and if he falls to 3 we may trade up. 

There are an thousands of ways this could play which is why it's stupid for some people to be calling for the Jets to trade up. Trade up to where? 3? Where the QB we want may not be around? Everyone needs to chill and let the situation play itself out a little more. 

51 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

He would be way more of a Nickel corner. He can go to FS, move Adams to LOS, blitz, move to LB, etc. He'd be on the field as a rover.

59 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

The NFL is changed.  People need to get over slot CB and slot WR contracts.  They are on the field 75-85 percent of the time now.  If outside CB's are making 15-17 million then top tier slot CB's are going to make 10-13 million.  Just like the OT vs OG argument.  There are so many interior pass rushers nowadays the lines are blurring.  He won't be solely our Nickel CB he would be a hybrid player that allows us to disguise our blitzes which Bowles defense is predicated on.  Invaluable piece.

11 minutes ago, Mecca said:

He would be way more of a Nickel corner. He can go to FS, move Adams to LOS, blitz, move to LB, etc. He'd be on the field as a rover.

No one on that offense would know who's lined up against the TE, who's lined up against the RB in the backfield and more importantly they'd have NO idea where the blitz is coming from.  That's huge.

22 minutes ago, dcJet said:

Just checked into this massive thread.

Do we still hate Macc?

there are a cult of around 15 posters who refuse to admit they may have misjudged Macc.  I don't think that will change any time soon.

when they draft a QB they'll scream it's the wrong one or bemoan the fact that "meaningless" wins cost them the guy they wanted.

I look forward to their scrambling throughout the year as we win games and ultimately make the playoffs.

8 minutes ago, Pac said:

there are a cult of around 15 posters who refuse to admit they may have misjudged Macc.  I don't think that will change any time soon.

when they draft a QB they'll scream it's the wrong one or bemoan the fact that "meaningless" wins cost them the guy they wanted.

I look forward to their scrambling throughout the year as we win games and ultimately make the playoffs.

Oh, check out MC Rakestepper going hard here.

10 minutes ago, Pac said:

When Mac drafts a QB at 6, and admits he ****ed up big time with Hack and cuts him, then I will admit he is finally getting it.  When he drafts Minka, please feel free to know the "I told you so" is already implied.

I hope he surprises us, maybe he finally got a therapist who is a sports fan.

3 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

When Mac drafts a QB at 6, and admits he ****ed up big time with Hack and cuts him, then I will admit he is finally getting it.  When he drafts Minka, please feel free to know the "I told you so" is already implied.

I hope he surprises us, maybe he finally got a therapist who is a sports fan.

Every GM makes bad calls. The excellent GMs admit it, recover, and move on quickly. Until he can own his mistakes, he'll always be below-average.

6 hours ago, dcJet said:

It's gonna be hard to get rid of Mac if he makes "Executive of the Year" again.   Oh the horror!

Mac is paid a lot of money.  He needs to continue to find playmakers, build depth in the roster, and most importantly, navigate the QB situation correctly.  That requires judgment, and is as much an art as it is a science.  Thus far, he is really failing at all three.  People talk about the Jets needing playmakers and WRs-what about the 2 WRs and TE they picked last year?

He needs to evaluate the top 4 QBs and decide if it is worth trading up for them.  My guess is that he says yes and determines a responsible price for that.  My guess is that an intuitive GM pays a higher price.  One of them will be correct-we just don’t know which one.  

If he passes on one of the top 4, drafts Chubb or Nelson, and then tries to find a second round QB while playing the old and the crippled at QB, that could work out very badly for him if Teddy is not good.   I think that is more a function of Teddy’s recovery and health.  

He already has one foot in the hole based on how Mahomes and Watson play.  I am fine passing on Watson-too brittle and too weak arm for the Meadowlands.   If Mahomes is a star in a similar offense to what the Jets will be playing, that is strike 2 after Hack.  

If he gets outbid for Darnold, Rosen or Mayfield, likely at 3, and they turn out to be very good NFL QBs, that is strike 3, he is toast.  He will not get a chance to see if Lauretta or Falk that he picks in the second round turns out to be good.  FWIW, I do that there will be a lot of QBs scooped up at the end of the first round/beginning of the second.  The only one for the Jets to scoop up in the second of any note could be Falk, who is also a project.  

Mac can’t play it safe anymore.  He should be putting floor bids in front of the Giants and Colts for their picks.   This draft is all about the Giants-are they taking their QB of the future, or making a last run.  I hope it is MaraTisch making that call. 

7 hours ago, Pac said:

I hereby renounce my previous criticisms of Macc. It is undeniable that he is Actually Good, now that he’s signed [squints at index cards] Avery Williamson

7 hours ago, dcJet said:

It's gonna be hard to get rid of Mac if he makes "Executive of the Year" again.   Oh the horror!

Right?  Why would anyone want him to do enough good things to be voted Executive of the Year?  Again.

That would totally suck.  

By my estimates, looks like we have spent about $54mil so far.  We had about $90 mil cap space, so worst case, we should have about $36mil left.

image.png

We probably are more like $40M - $45M in space.  Contract details have not yet been reported for all players, so I am assuming average value as the 2018 hit for Johnson, Long and Williamson.  Its been reported that Crowell's hit will be $2mil this year.  Some, if not all of these probably have some big unguaranteed numbers on the back end, so the hit is likely lower this year. 

Still plenty of space to go get a Honey Badger.

1 minute ago, Lith said:

By my estimates, looks like we have spent about $54mil so far.  We had about $90 mil cap space, so worst case, we should have about $36mil left.

image.png

We probably are more like $40M - $45M in space.  Contract details have not yet been reported for all players, so I am assuming average value as the 2018 hit for Johnson, Long and Williamson.  Its been reported that Crowell's hit will be $2mil this year.  Some, if not all of these probably have some big unguaranteed numbers on the back end, so the hit is likely lower this year. 

Still plenty of space to go get a Honey Badger.

Usually I would balk at signing a nickel/safety.... but this kid is a playmaker and is only 26. Imagine a better Skrine and 1/5th the pass interference calls. I say do it. Like for Real.. and Mac after you get Honey Badger you look Todd Bowles straight in the eye and you tell him...

"Todd I am getting a top QB in this draft, and Offense is going to be the focus... I am done letting you whine and cry, and dictate draft picks to me. Have you not seen how irate the fans at JN are. They think I am a total moron. I have wanted to do this since day 1, after this you are out of excuses!!!!! Enjoy Mathieu and make this defense a top 5 unit like you say you can."

Archived