JETS TRADE UP TO THREE MAC DADDY IS A PIMP

T0mShane

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, jetspenguin said:

actually if I was bowles I'd say ok, if you want me to play the rookie then get me the pieces I need on defense so we can take the pressure off of him ala Johncon and Clairborne. 

That's why they signed who they did including Crowell.  They're not drafting Michel in the 2nd anymore.

Just now, T0mShane said:

I think it’s because there are a bunch of examples of players overcoming Mayfield’s shortcoming and exceedingly few examples of anyone overcoming Allen’s.

How many QB’s are there in the NFL since Fran Tarkenton who have succeeded at 6’1 or shorter?

Drew Brees, Russell Wilson, and...Mike Vick? Doug Flutie? Jeff Garcia?

Case Keenum?

People can love Mayfield’s grit and passion all day. Hey, I’m a fan of it myself. But the odds are certainly stacked against him. And that’s just pertaining to his stature. Never mind that the kid can come off as an emotional cripple (grabbing his dick and talking to the opposing team and then breaking down in tears apologizing for it 24 hours later), has shown a propensity to be a dumbass off the field, and only has experience with the simplest, barebones passing concepts during his time with Oklahoma and Texas Tech.

Meanwhile the biggest knock on Allen is that even at his peak he probably won’t be a 65% completion guy. 

This is a game changer, no doubt!

Macc had the ammo to move up and pulled the trigger. Good for him for not sitting on his hands while others run up the draft board and select what may become their franchise QB.

My observation, fwiw:

1- the brownies aren't willing to trade out of #, or they simply wanted too much.

2- the Giants would NEVER have traded with their cross town neighbors. Plus, I don't think they'd pass on the chance to put in place a QB in waiting. 

Therefore, Macc's best available option was at #3, and he took it.

I have no opinion as to who I think is the better option for I'm no scout. I know what I don't know, and I don't know scouting. and more importantly,  not being privy to any of the all important interviews makes it impossible to know what any of these prospects are thinking "upstairs ". They're all physically able to play, but it's what's inside that counts.

All i know is that as of today,  the NYJ are going to select someone who I hope will be our franchise QB.

I don't care who that guy may be.

I think there actually is a chance that Cleveland wants Mayfield.  Cant figure out why if they want Allen, Rosen or Darnold they would trade for Tyrod and name him their starter.  Wouldnt it make more sense if they were targeting mayfield?

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

That's fair, but I wonder if all of these still apply. Top-level QB prospects who enter the draft with 30 starts are becoming rarer, and those who graduate are going the way of the dodo.

Agree.  Parcells seems to me like a guy that is too old and stubborn to change his way of thinking.  If the Browns are smart they should take his opinion as advisement and not as gospel.

Just now, Jet Nut said:

I think there actually is a chance that Cleveland wants Mayfield.  Cant figure out why if they want Allen, Rosen or Darnold they would trade for Tyrod and name him their starter.  Wouldnt it make more sense if they were targeting mayfield?

It would mean that they are looking for a QB to sit and develop. That leans towards Mayfield and Allen

I'm fairly confident at this point, it may change but our preferences would be:

Darnold

Rosen

Baker

I think Darnold will go 1 or 2 and we are probably fairly confident that will happen. I kinda hope the Giants take Rosen at 2 so we take Baker at 3. I wouldn't approve of us passing on Darnold or Rosen for Baker.

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I think there's a chance Cleveland wants Allen.  In that case I'm guessing the Giants (or if the Giants trade the pick then whatever team that is) take Darnold.

14 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Except he felt Wentz was unworthy of an extra 3rd rounder thrown in, and that Hackenberg was worth a mid-2nd rounder.

What you (and I and everyone) hope is that we get lucky -- namely that this isn't just a 1 or 2 QB draft up top where we just traded a trio of 2nd rounders to get the 1st bad one.

We're not at that point right now, of course, but I am rooting for good luck because we still need it. There are 4 top QB prospects, not 4 flawless/generational QB prospects.

Maybe, unlike our HC, Macc actually learned something during the potential Wentz deal...maybe?

I was mostly putting it out there to those that consider what we gave up to be too much...if Macc knew at 6 that he would take any one of 3 QBs he 'likes', there would be no reason to sit at #6 and HOPE one would still be there...the best option is to put yourself in position to GUARANTEE one would be there is all.

And, we do need some 'luck' with the pick, especially for a QB pick...and, WE ARE DUE for that.

I hope.

3 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

How many QB’s are there in the NFL since Fran Tarkenton who have succeeded at 6’1 or shorter?

Drew Brees, Russell Wilson, and...Mike Vick? Doug Flutie? Jeff Garcia?

Case Keenum?

People can love Mayfield’s grit and passion all day. Hey, I’m a fan of it myself. But the odds are certainly stacked against him. And that’s just pertaining to his stature. Never mind that the kid can come off as an emotional cripple (grabbing his dick and talking to the opposing team and then breaking down in tears apologizing for it 24 hours later), has shown a propensity to be a dumbass off the field, and only has experience with the simplest, barebones passing concepts during his time with Oklahoma and Texas Tech.

Meanwhile the biggest knock on Allen is that even at his peak he probably won’t be a 65% completion guy. 

Doesn’t matter. Can’t let height determine whether he’ll be the one or not. And before Russell Wilson the only answer was Brees. Just have to trust the evaluation and hopefully after mayfield we’re listing him along with Brees and Wilson 

3 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

It would mean that they are looking for a QB to sit and develop. That leans towards Mayfield and Allen

Why would you bring in a scrambling, little QB teach a 6' 5" pocket passer while he sits? Thats why I said I think theres a good chance they're thinking Mayfield

1 minute ago, MDL_JET said:

Doesn’t matter. Can’t let height determine whether he’ll be the one or not. And before Russell Wilson the only answer was Brees. Just have to trust the evaluation and hopefully after mayfield we’re listing him along with Brees and Wilson 

Look what the Vikings did with keenum this year.  It's still not clear that cousins is an upgrade over him.  

14 minutes ago, HessStation said:

The burning question for me is what if 

Browns take Allen and Giants take Barkley?

Rosen, Darnold or Mayfield? Someone should start a poll.

this also leads to my issue if one of those three guy end up there at 6 and turn out the best of the crop but that's another scary story for another day I guess.

rosen is easy choice. 

4 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I'm fairly confident at this point, it may change but our preferences would be:

Darnold

Rosen

Baker

I think Darnold will go 1 or 2 and we are probably fairly confident that will happen. I kinda hope the Giants take Rosen at 2 so we take Baker at 3. I wouldn't approve of us passing on Darnold or Rosen for Baker.

Flip Rosen to #1.  I’m convinced. As for after him. No idea. Darnold Allen Mayfield would be my guess 

1 minute ago, MDL_JET said:

It’s not just the height, it’s the height coupled with those other factors.

Brees and Wilson never did any of the stupid stuff either on or off the field that Mayfield has. 

Brees and Wilson checked every single box besides ideal height, which Mayfield doesn’t.

Both of those guys also had multiple years of experience playing in a pro-style offense coming out of college, Mayfield has nothing of the sort.

Again, I won’t be pissed if we end up with Mayfield, I’ll take any of the Top 4 gladly. But Mayfield is certainly #4 on that list for me.

21 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

When a guy rises as a result of the Combine my general wish is that we run from him.  The name of the game is game tape.

Look jets have studied the All the QBs all year long .. I highly doubt if they draft Allen is because he rose at the Combine 

16 minutes ago, HessStation said:

this also leads to my issue if one of those three guy end up there at 6 and turn out the best of the crop but that's another scary story for another day I guess.

LOL...we can all second guess.

But, if we had stayed at 6, you wouldn't necessarily know that what we did today was even an option or the true cost of a non-completed deal?  What if he had sat at 6 and taken someone other than we're now getting at 3 and the person taken 3rd is a HOFer and the guy we took at 6 sucked?

Macc now gets to live, or die, based a better chance to get what HE wants.

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

CCDD1EB7-97AD-45DA-89E4-488D1B6572D6.gif

Let me ask you this...

Would you take Allen at #3 if he wasn’t, let’s say, the next Elway or Big Ben but essentially...Cam Newton without the headaches?

Big bodied, super athletic guy with an absolute cannon who has the ability to carry an offense on his back...but completes around 58% of his passes and might have a 3 pick game here or there?

Ask most people around the league and they would give you an unequivocal “yes”.

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

Let me ask you this...

Would you take Allen at #3 if he wasn’t, let’s say, the next Elway or Big Ben but essentially...Cam Newton but without the headaches?

Big bodied, super athletic guy with an absolute cannon who has the ability to carry an offense on his back...but completes around 58% of his passes and might have a 3 pick game here or there?

Ask most people around the league and they would give you an unequivocal “yes”.

Of course!

22 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Incrediboy, The Rosen One, or Baker Airfield... all good choices.

Archived