what player personifies the jets to you?

k-met57

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Jetfan13 said:

I don't remember that, that sucks.

Parcells left the team in cap hell, we had to get rid of Glenn, Marcus Coleman and Ryan Young for the 2002 expansion draft.  Glenn wanted to leave though, he wanted to play closer to home.

Glenn is a very overrated player by Jets fans. He was good but not great.  

12 hours ago, Warfish said:

If we had 22 Nick Mangold, Wayne Chrebet, Mo Lewis and Dennis Byrd's, nothing on this earth could stop us.

You're missing Joe Klecko and Curtis Martin.  Joe Namath in his prime was the ultimate leader and winner.  As much as I love Dennis Byrd, on the field he was an overachiever who was just an average player.  

Mangold, Wayne Chrebet, Joe Klecko, Curtis Martin and Joe Namath.  Now if you had 22 of these players, the amount of heart on this team would be overwhelming to any opponent.

I saw Joe Klecko stick his finger in the face of the opponent's center after a play, and the opponent didn't dare knock Klecko's hand away.  Klecko was the toughest Jet of all time. He was afraid of absolutely no one.

Mangold was a no-nonsense workman who could not be intimidated.

Curtis Martin and Wayne Chrebet had huge hearts who could not be stopped and refused to quit.

Joe Namath guaranteed a win in the Super Bowl and proved it on the field.  He was the leader of the group, and no player on that team disputed that.

You put a team together with these guys and others like them, and you could go into battle with anyone.

3 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Aaron Glenn

4-t6084189-340.jpg

We just had an intense fight on the board over the usefulness of Dez Bryant... and yet we pick the same player for this thread.

Not sure what to make of it...

Probably more "great minds" than coincidence...

4 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Na, he was sent to the Texans when they were an expansion team. I was pissed that we lost him. He was one of my favorite Jets. 

Parcells picked him up after Houston and he started two seasons in Dallas.  I don't know when he hung them up, but I remember that after I thought he retired he returned an INT for a TD with the Jaguars. 

lots of good name drops in here.

I think Braylon Edwards gets forgotten about. His playoff touchdown in NE was the embodiment of the JETS overcoming adversity. That is quintessential moment of Jets heart and soul for me

No other votes for Russell Carter? 

I think Kyle Clifton and Randy Rasmussen deserve some consideration. Maybe even Guy Bingham and Joe Fields.  Brandon Moore is a guy that I like to associate with the franchise and he is a better "face" of the butt fumble.  Sums it all up, good, but embarrassing. 

To the media and other fans - Mark Sanchez

To Jets fans - Joe Namath. We are always a team that gets counted out. But every now and then, we break out and make things happen. Most recently the Rex Ryan Jets were this type of team. Nobody believed in that team, but they kept winning. At least until s**t hit the fan.

4 hours ago, RoadFan said:

We just had an intense fight on the board over the usefulness of Dez Bryant... and yet we pick the same player for this thread.

Not sure what to make of it...

Probably more "great minds" than coincidence...

Maybe we have good reasons to agree on certain players and good reasons to disagree. It's all subjective. 

Aaron Glenn is an all-time jet in my eyes.

Anytime a thread like this pops up... I am tempted to tell a quick story.

I was in living in Denver and having pregame Sunday Brunch at Pappadeaux's Cajun buffet with some fam dressed in Jets gear.  This was maybe 2005-2006?  Winston Hill spotted us, came and sat down at our table and introduced himself.  RIP, sir.

For you guys who are too young...

Don Maynard and George Sauer... Love Chrebet, Martin, Mawae, Mangold... For you Arron Glenn fans, don't forget James Hasty... He was actually a better corner, however the team sucked so bad it broke his spirit and he went to KC. Love Toon, Waker, and can never leave out Klecko...

John Riggins epitomizes my frustration and both love for the Jets.  There was no more thrilling sight as a Jets fan, watching him turn upfield on a flair pattern,  incredible speed and power in his early days. And the frustration when they let him walk. 

17 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Brett Ratliff.  Because our starting QB AND backup QB always suck, so the 3rd stringer always gets overvalued. 

Also see:  Brooks Bollinger, Greg McElroy, Chris Simms.

Chris Simms actually wasn't bad.  Seemed like he might be a legitimate starter before he got blasted and ruptured his spleen.  Unfortunately, he wasn't on the Jets.  That was his brother Matt.  Matt sucked, but don't tell his dad or you might have to fight like Desmond Howard.

Archived