OT: Sounds a lot like Francesa is coming back

T0mShane

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

His hate came out when they were going to AFC championship games...

Not living in the NY area, I can't claim to be an expert on him. I do enjoy the selected rants I hear online.

6 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

That is EXACTLY what that show is. You have the black guy, the fat guy, and the hole. Many boxes can be checked off. If they had to go that route, they could have gone with talent. Diversity is great when it happens organically. Diversity for diversity sake is like arranged marriages. Both are stupid ideas.

What the ****, dude?

That is EXACTLY what that show is. You have the black guy, the fat guy, and the hole. Many boxes can be checked off. If they had to go that route, they could have gone with talent. Diversity is great when it happens organically. Diversity for diversity sake is like arranged marriages. Both are stupid ideas.

I agree people shouldn’t get jobs because of their race or gender. I can honestly say this has never crossed my mind about this show. Could it be possible they just got the jobs because management thought it would work? And they were completely wrong? Possible at all?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

19 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

I agree people shouldn’t get jobs because of their race or gender. I can honestly say this has never crossed my mind about this show. Could it be possible they just got the jobs because management thought it would work? And they were completely wrong? Possible at all?

I think it’s possible that they consciously wanted a demographically diverse show—which is fine— AND that they hired the wrong people. Talk radio is very hard to pull off and there aren’t 20 people in the country that can do that job, and that profession has historically been dominated by white males, so focusing the scope of your hiring process away from that is going to yield some bad results. 

10 hours ago, NoBowles said:

Carlin, Maggy and Bart are God awful. Everyone once in a while I forget that they are on and I put the snow on, and then fumble as I change the station as fast as humanly possible. Francesca is so much better.

WFAN really botched replacing Francesa.  

6 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

His hate came out when they were going to AFC championship games...

Francesa hates Woody and by extension Rex.  He was basically a Jets fan when Hess was the owner and his BFF Bill Parcells was here

1 hour ago, DetroitRed said:

I don’t think it was affirmative action.  CBS/Viacom management think Bart Scott is the resurrection of Richard Pryor because of the 30 second sound byte after the 2010 playoff win over the patriots

They should have moved Joe and Evan to 3-6:30 and had a couple newer different shows on mid days and cultivated talent that way

He was at his best when they had someone on to counter him.  Him there by himself, chugging Diet Coke and passing out, wasn’t the same.  Still had a big impact though.  Probably can credit his show after the Idzik mid season press conference for getting Idzik sh*tcanned.

Just now, jmat321 said:

He was at his best when they had someone on to counter him.  Him there by himself, chugging Diet Coke and passing out, wasn’t the same.  Still had a big impact though.  Probably can credit his show after the Idzik mid season press conference for getting Idzik sh*tcanned.

He also helped get McAdoo fired.  Pretty sure the Maras listen to him and it was right after he went nuclear on McAdoo for benching Eli he got fired

It sounds like there was a push to prevent him from coming back and that was part of the inspiration for him to want to come back. I’m guessing maybe some of the existing hosts (I’m thinking Boomer) were part of this   All the tension will make for an interesting dynamic when he comes back.  His “it’s time to come back” line seems kind of ridiculous though   His farewell tour lasted longer than his absence.  The mongos, other sports radio hosts (Carton), and Sour Shoes are going to be hilarious.  

3 hours ago, DetroitRed said:

Possible, but very unlikely. I didn't think about the diversity angle until I read an article about how it was about time that we had a woman and a black man in the afternoon drive slot. The afternoon drive team was selected as a transition to the next real host. Replacing Francesca is a tough act to follow, but replacing CMB isn't.

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I think it’s possible that they consciously wanted a demographically diverse show—which is fine— AND that they hired the wrong people. Talk radio is very hard to pull off and there aren’t 20 people in the country that can do that job, and that profession has historically been dominated by white males, so focusing the scope of your hiring process away from that is going to yield some bad results. 

God damn that guy who has been perpetually negative about the Jets for years while they have been terrible. Instead of calling him "accurate," let's call him a "hater." That'll make the pain go away.

44 minutes ago, jgb said:

God damn that guy who has been perpetually negative about the Jets for years while they have been terrible. Instead of calling him "accurate," let's call him a "hater." That'll make the pain go away.

He was the most negative about the Jets during both of their runs to the AFC Championship game, but if you want to slurp Fatcessa, I won't get in the way. 

44 minutes ago, jgb said:

God damn that guy who has been perpetually negative about the Jets for years while they have been terrible. Instead of calling him "accurate," let's call him a "hater." That'll make the pain go away

It wasn't just him being negative on Jets when they were bad. He would never give Jets any credit. Back to back AFC Championship games with rookie/ sophmore QB and he still wouldn't give Rex or Tanny an ounce of credit. With Francessa when things went bad for Giants it was a tragedy, when things went bad for Jets it was a punch line. Only exception was when his butt buddy Parcells was running Jets.

16 hours ago, NoBowles said:

Carlin, Maggy and Bart are God awful. Everyone once in a while I forget that they are on and I put the snow on, and then fumble as I change the station as fast as humanly possible. Francesca is so much better.

I actually don't mind them at all. I know people hate Carlin but I find him ok. I think Maggy is actually pretty damn good and probably my favorite of the three. Bart is Bart, and I love him to death but he struggles with anything other than football. When it comes to football though he breaks things down very well. 

Everyone always hates every radio personality. I don't get the hate, Francessa was horrible to listen to if you were a Jets/Mets fan, because he actively trolled the fanbases. 

11 minutes ago, funaz said:

I actually don't mind them at all. I know people hate Carlin but I find him ok. I think Maggy is actually pretty damn good and probably my favorite of the three. Bart is Bart, and I love him to death but he struggles with anything other than football. When it comes to football though he breaks things down very well. 

Everyone always hates every radio personality. I don't get the hate, Francessa was horrible to listen to if you were a Jets/Mets fan, because he actively trolled the fanbases. 

From the times I have listened, and I have tried a few times to give them a chance at various points since they started, I find Bart to be the best, then Maggy, and Carlin is literally unlistenable. As a group, they are extremely awkward, and try way to hard to be hip and trendy, and it comes off as very unnatural and uncomfortable. The show is awful IMO, absolutely awful. 

8 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

From the times I have listened, and I have tried a few times to give them a chance at various points since they started, I find Bart to be the best, then Maggy, and Carlin is literally unlistenable. As a group, they are extremely awkward, and try way to hard to be hip and trendy, and it comes off as very unnatural and uncomfortable. The show is awful IMO, absolutely awful. 

You have to take corporate stances on basically anything close to controversial and attempt to spin it in a way that sounds original/not scripted(and this for essentially all radio now). Most listeners pick up on this and tune out. At least with Mike you're generally getting his actual position on things, regardless of the suits approval. Unless of course the topic is MSG and then you're getting the kid gloves.

Archived