Report: No Playoff Mandate for Jets’ Bowles

JetNation

With a rookie QB now, Bowles should be safe for at least three years.  Barring something out of the ordinary.

Nothing worse for a young QB than instability.  If Bowles was on thin ice, he should have been fired before the draft.

Kristian Dyer is garbage. He writes for The Metro and is on par with $hitmini of E-PMS in terms of bashing on the Jets. 

There shouldn't be a mandate for playoffs, but DEFINITELY for improvements in ranking:

• Overall defensive ranking
  • Defensive points allowed
  • Scoring offense
  • 3rd down stops, etc.

Wins and losses are harder to justify as the benchmark with a young and developing team, but management can set goals, as mentioned above, that can SHOW improvement from last year AND over the duration of the season. If the Jets are ranked 20+ in 4 defensive categories by end of Sept but top 5 by Diciembre, THAT is a more meaningful  and better demarcation of improvement than wins. Let's say the Jets get 8 wins in 2018, but still ranked 20+ in all offensive and defensive categories, that's NOT improvement. that's some kindling to start a Fire. 

28 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

With a rookie QB now, Bowles should be safe for at least three years.  Barring something out of the ordinary.

Nothing worse for a young QB than instability.  If Bowles was on thin ice, he should have been fired before the draft.

Two years from December, Mac and Bowles will be right where they were entering this season: entering their lame-duck years. That's about as long as they're safe. This year is about demonstrating improvement across the board -particularly on Bowles' fairly loaded defense- and, of course, developing Sam Darnold. Having an offensive coordinator last two whole years would also be a plus. But this year is about the incremental. The whole team buying in, improved statistical rankings, better in-game decision making. 

Then, whether they announce it or not, next year there will be something like a playoff mandate. In December 2019, they'll be deciding whether they want to stick with these guys or use their franchise QB to attract, perhaps, a high-profile, proven head coach. Playoffs or more could be the mandate. A division title and/or playoff victories. I think the Johnsons like Bowles and see potential in him, but he needs to reach that potential now with a franchise QB in the fold. 

3 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

He will run out of time, and excuses. I can see a Jeff Fisher situation here. If Sam D looks poor under Bowles he's gone.

His D needs to show great improvement, and the O needs to change to Darnold sooner than later. 

My boss just came to me and told me it is no problem whatsoever that my Company lost 1.5 million dollars this year as long as we show slight improvement and lose only 750K next year ?

Does anyone else see how idiotic making a statement like no playoff mandate actually is? It is basically carte blanche to not work hard and acceptance of failure  - yet again, after doling out contract extensions following 2 5-11 disgusting seasons - probably why this team is mired in losing seemingly forever. Now I do agree making a payoff mandate would not be healthy considering a rookie QB, but how about just shutting the hell up and working hard without the pre failure mandates? Good grief, a PSL holder and STH having to fork over megabucks to watch a team that has no playoff aspirations in May, 4 months before the season starts. LOL. Sorry fellas, the acceptance of losing and failure by this organization just irks me to no end.

1 hour ago, Mike135 said:

Barring a miracle - 2018 will be the fourth year under Mac and Cheez Bowles that they haven't made the playoffs.  No way the Org let's them continue for 2 more years w/o the playoffs.

5 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

No playoffs at 8-8 and above he survives. Maybe even 7-9. Anything under that this year I think he goes 

If it comes down to 1 or 2 wins why even keep him? We could have a lot of injures, opponents could be tougher than expected, ect. On the flip side we could have little injures and have received gifts from poor teams. Todd Bowles should not get the credit, or blame for the W-L. 

Bowles must get this defense playing at a top level. He has been given pretty much all he has asked for, and then some. No more excuses. Rex’s D were never bad. He he can’t be blamed for lack of O. But since he fired yet another OC, I highly doubt the Jets bring in their 4th OC in 5 years without also replacing Todd Bowles. So Todd Bowles has a lot riding on Bates. If Bowles is fired, maybe Mac takes a demotion. He isn’t getting picked up as a gm anywhere else if canned.

A public/leaked mandate (or even a private one) makes zero sense at this time, as much many fans want to hear results rather than silver linings are the measurements of a HC's future employment here.

Bowles (and Macc) each just got 2-year extensions through 2020. Explain that contract reward, followed by an ultimatum the team leaks out in the same offseason, after drafting a QB at #3 overall.  May as well have let them both play out the year with no extensions, if either is going to get an ultimatum in the same offseason (particularly if that ultimatum was going to get leaked). That would have been a de facto ultimatum. 

2 hours ago, Mike135 said:

Actually there is one thing worse, having a sh*tacular D coach who has no clue about QBS and retaining him.

See Jeff fisher and Goff and John fox and Trubisky.

Who knows with the Johnsons running the team? I think it's obvious by now that he isn't particularly a master motivator, and that his defensive acumen isn't quite as sharp as we all thought it was. With Trumaine Johnson, Avery Williams and potential sleeper Nate Shepherd added, if the defense isn't improved then Bowles is a goner - then again, you never know with the Johnsons.

Bowles problem is that he's been here since 2015 & he was considered some type of defensive savant coming from Arizona with all these accolades and his defenses have been very underwhelming.

This guy continues to have defenses ranked very low in 3rd down efficiency, this guy can' get his defense off the f*cking field. What really perturbs me is the tendency his defenses have of giving up 3rd & longs in clutch spots.

I'm giving him 2018 to prove to me he can develop players like Adams & Maye. Starting 2 rookies is tough in the NFL but I don't care this is a what have you done for me lately business. I'm not a fan of his pal Kacey Rodgers either. With the addition of Trumaine Johnson & a #1 caliber CB in Morris Clairborne moving to the #2 spot, Adams & Maye in their sophomore seasons, there are NO MORE EXCUSES for this defense.

If I owned this team, had a defensive coach, plus all of their draft resources they've spent on defense, failure is NOT AN OPTION. He should be canned if this defense doesn't take a big step in 2018.

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

Bowles problem is that he's been here since 2015 & he was considered some type of defensive savant coming from Arizona with all these accolades and his defenses have been very underwhelming.

This guy continues to have defenses ranked very low in 3rd down efficiency, this guy can' get his defense off the f*cking field. What really perturbs me is the tendency his defenses have of giving up 3rd & longs in clutch spots.

I'm giving him 2018 to prove to me he can develop players like Adams & Maye. Starting 2 rookies is tough in the NFL but I don't care this is a what have you done for me lately business. I'm not a fan of his pal Kacey Rodgers either. With the addition of Trumaine Johnson & a #1 caliber CB in Morris Clairborne moving to the #2 spot, Adams & Maye in their sophomore seasons, there are NO MORE EXCUSES for this defense.

If I owned this team, had a defensive coach, plus all of their draft resources they've spent on defense, failure is NOT AN OPTION. He should be canned if this defense doesn't take a big step in 2018.

Both should have been fired before this offseason. Instead they both got extensions. It is what it is, and hope for the best.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Actually there is one thing worse, having a sh*tacular D coach who has no clue about QBS and retaining him.

See Jeff fisher and Goff and John fox and Trubisky.

I'm no Bowles fan, but in 2 of 3 years they've gotten career years out of journeymen at QB.  That's not to say he should be praised for that (particularly given how the year in between went), but an advance proclamation of why any potential Darnold struggles will be the fault of Bowles is a bit unfounded.

3 hours ago, Mike135 said:

Strongly disagree on that. If Mac and Bowles continue to neglect the O and Oline due to continued favoring the D, they got to go within next 2 years. If darnold doesn’t do well next yr, they are both gone. Bring in a gm/hc Who is committed to supporting darnold first, and second. Hopefully Mac and Bowles will do that. 

On 5/20/2018 at 4:01 PM, JetNation said:

IMG_1460.jpg

Jets fans hoping that the fate of head coach Todd Bowles rests on the whether or not the team makes the post-season won’t be big fans of this bit of news.

Kristian Dyer of Metro reports here that  a source within the organization has said that for the second consecutive season, there is no playoff mandate for Bowles, who is coming off of consecutive 5-11 seasons.  Whether you like Bowles or not, a case can be made for this being a sound decision on the part of ownership.

Has Bowles failed to live up to his billing as a “defensive genius”?  Absolutely.  He’s seen his team blow several late leads while losing several games against teams who have very little firepower on offense.  Even still, this season shouldn’t be about the team’s final record, but about how and when those wins and losses come.

If the season is an up and down roller coaster of wins and losses with his defense once again blowing big leads on a regular basis, Bowles should be shown the door.

Should Bowles see his team get off to a slow start, something along the lines of 3-5 for example, before turning it around in the second half under Sam Darnold and end the season at 8-8 or 9-6, it would be a clear indication that the team is heading the right way under Bowles and blowing the whole thing up wouldn’t be the answer.

The Jets have seen enough head coaches come and go and Bowles could very well be the next.  But simply demanding a playoff appearance from a team that is in year two of a rebuild wouldn’t make any sense, even taking all of Bowles’ past failures in to account.  More than ever, this season won’t be about how Bowles’ team starts, but how they finish.

The post Report: No Playoff Mandate for Jets’ Bowles appeared first on NY Jets News.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

83Ua9EDmXGc

Click here to read the full story...

when is there ever a playoff mandate. This regime has been in control for 4 years....no playoffs.

Sounds like what we should expect

Black and white mandates in football are often nonsensical. I'm glad there is no playoffs or bust mandate based on the current team situation.

This is what I'd like to see from Todd Bowles and the Jets in 2018.

1) Discipline. No more being amongst the league leaders in number of penalties and low turnover differential. How is it possible that the Jets routinely seem to go games at time without forcing a turnover? This needs to end.

2) Preparedness. The Jets should look competitive week in and week out with sound game plans.

3) Passion. No more looking like a statue on the sideline. Get in the referee's ear when it's warranted. Show some fire. It makes a difference and rubs off on your team.

4) Quarterback development. This is the key to long term success.

The "defense needs to improve" argument sounds nice in theory, but it doesn't deal with realities of NFL football in 2018. There is almost nothing that can be done to stop a competent quarterback firing on all cylinders given today's rules and the current environment of enforcement.

The goal needs to be to get prepared, stay disciplined, and outscore your opponent. Welcome to the modern NFL.

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

I'm no Bowles fan, but in 2 of 3 years they've gotten career years out of journeymen at QB.  That's not to say he should be praised for that (particularly given how the year in between went), but an advance proclamation of why any potential Darnold struggles will be the fault of Bowles is a bit unfounded.

And the OCs who really were responsible for this got tossed on the scrap heap.

I've seen how Bowles treated his younger guys when he had his prized vet,  I've seen /bowles flat out give up in games.

17 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

when is there ever a playoff mandate. This regime has been in control for 4 years....no playoffs.

Sounds like what we should expect

Exactly.  The Johnsons celebrate 5-11

It's all good we have a real QB. The good times will be starting very soon.

Bowles was never getting fired after last seasons media narrative of "the worst roster ever",and we will be lucky to be 0-16. They was right with one thing, we did draft Sam Darnold.

Realistically, we want you to develop a young team and a rookie qb.  Oh, and you have to make the playoffs as well.

That doesn't make sense,  and it would force Bowles to play vets longer trying to somehow get 9 or 10 wins.  Play the younger guys when they are ready, and take what you get this year.

2 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Realistically, we want you to develop a young team and a rookie qb.  Oh, and you have to make the playoffs as well.

That doesn't make sense,  and it would force Bowles to play vets longer trying to somehow get 9 or 10 wins.  Play the younger guys when they are ready, and take what you get this year.

Yeah, because QB is the only position that matters for development. 

It's not like we're a QB away bro. It's not about us making the playoffs or not, its about not being any better than we were the year this regime took over. 

Jets fans will accept anything. 

26 minutes ago, chirorob said:

There's really no more 'aging vets' like there was with Forte to play anymore is there? McCown is really the only one and everyone and their mother knows Darnold will eventually play, even McCown knows it. 

52 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

There's really no more 'aging vets' like there was with Forte to play anymore is there? McCown is really the only one and everyone and their mother knows Darnold will eventually play, even McCown knows it.

Fair enough point.

I want to watch them win, I do.   But to tell the Coaches "Make the playoffs or else with a rookie QB" is kinda un realistic.  People are also saying we should be like the Seahawks who took advantage of a young QB on a rookie deal.   That's true, they did, but they hit the lottery with multiple defensive mid round draft picks, had a powerful O Line, and Beast Mode in his prime.   I don't know the Jets have any of that, certainly not a top 5 O Line, a power running game, or 4-6 pro bowl level players on their d.

Archived