Oakland Raiders release Hackenberg

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

yea... and to that point - how does one make such a horrific error of judgement on that level? I know it happens, but not THAT badly, that often. Not at QB. Sure you get your fair share of Gabberts and Ponders but they still get a stretch run on the field for a few seasons (as oppose to Hack who couldn't even pull up 2nd string duties.

How is that a guy who EVERYONE knew was not NFL material, still get drafted that high? How!?! How the hell does that happen??? Mac's making MILLIONS OF DOLLARS. I'm assuming that's cause he's a rare commodity. Otherwise, i'll take the fcking job. 

You're right. Can only imagine O'Brien whispered in his ear or something. If he had drafted Hack around the 7th, we'd all shrug, but a 2nd is really crazy.

There are Qbs like Drew Willy who never took a snap in the NFL even though on active rosters but had (have) a career in the CFL. I know Willy wasn't a 2nd round pick but he got a chance to play in Canada. I'd like to see Hack play in regulation games and see how he does before he hangs them up. 

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

Well the Raiders have to eat the contract, as opposed to the Jets, so still a win.

Well, you know, a win if you ignore the whole being a horrifically awful player they drafted thing. 

His 2018 base was not guaranteed -- the Raiders don't have to eat anything.  We still have to eat the $800K from his signing bonus that was pro-rated across 4 years.

Only thing the trade did was save us the embarrassment of having to cut a 2nd round pick who never set foot on the field after two seasons.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Lith said:

His 2018 base was not guaranteed -- the Raiders don't have to eat anything.  We still have to eat the $800K from his signing bonus that was pro-rated across 4 years.

Only thing the trade did was save us the embarrassment of having to cut a 2nd round pick who never set foot on the field after two seasons.

Yeah, I forgot that it's only first-rounders whose rookie contracts are fully guaranteed, so it doesn't even do that much.  Although I'm not sure there is any embarrassment that was saved no matter what they did.  Only thing they had going for them when making that move was, "So... Darnold, right?"

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Even if he is right next to it he can't hit the ocean.

Also I have blasted the hack pick from day one and been his worst critic.  I still think bowles is a total a$$hole for not playing him even a series in that the last game of the year.

Me too admittedly, wanted Hack to be good...

2 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Yeah, wouldn't want to miss out on the opportunity of Bowles being to blame for the incompetence of others, regardless if the entire NFL ends up agreeing. 

I watched todd bowles play Darrel revis and mol wilk game after game after game when they were outright dogging it and making huge money.  This narrative that the best players play is total bs for this coach.

Also if hack was so bad he was not worth even thinking about in the last game he should have4 been cut and add good old joel stave to the roster.

The jets had zero to play for, had awful Qbing from petty, were shutting down games and giving up but when it comes to giving a series to a guy sh*tty or not who had been on the team for two years they get righteous?

Wake me up when bowels actually does play the best players and wake me up when he does not give up mid game like he did in the denver game.

15 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Not sure you can judge him on one bad pick.  (Yes, he's made some other bad ones.)   I wanna see what this year's class looks like.

well you're right about one bad pick.  i'm not a mac or even bowles hater but his first draft was terrible unless mauldin turns a serious corner.  he seems to like to take these undervalued reaches but forgets they're undervalued because they've been injured or had some other issues that made it difficult to play in the nfl. hack seems to be one of those reaches but at the second pick he was overvalued.  that's doubly bad.

1 hour ago, Lith said:

If this is the case (don’t kill me guys) would it make since to bring him back into camp? If we have to pay him we should put him to work. We can get more recievers on the Field with 4 QBs plus we can revisit the trade option. Worst case we cut him after the preseason 

• Thumb Down 2

3 minutes ago, jetsjets said:

If this is the case (don’t kill me guys) would it make since to bring him back into camp? If we have to pay him we should put him to work. We can get more recievers on the Field with 4 QBs plus we can revisit the trade option. Worst case we cut him after the preseason 

No - we need to put all of our resources into developing Darnold.  No point in adding a young project who needs to be developed.  He has no place with the Jets and probably no place in the NFL.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, jetsjets said:

We got a conditional 7th for him. What do you expect to trade him for now? You think is value has increased? 

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

We got a conditional 7th for him. What do you expect to trade him for now? You think is value has increased? 

I believe that pick went out the window when raiders cut him before the start of the season  

The pic was conditional pending on how many games he was active

Here's what I don't get: How are you that big of a recruit and have a stellar rookie season in college, then completely forget how to play the game?  He was good.  What happened to this kid?

Anyway, he's got a couple of million and a degree....I hope he's fine.

17 minutes ago, jetsjets said:

I believe that pick went out the window when raiders cut him before the start of the season  

The pic was conditional pending on how many games he was active

That's my point. The only way to execute your plan to pick him up and trade him (again) would be if he appreciated in value above the zero we got for him the first time around even after getting cut after one week by Gruden who was on the record as having a mancrush on him. If anything his value is now:

Image result for less than zero

16 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Here's what I don't get: How are you that big of a recruit and have a stellar rookie season in college, then completely forget how to play the game?  He was good.  What happened to this kid?

Anyway, he's got a couple of million and a degree....I hope he's fine.

He was never good.  Certainly not stellar.  His first year was a mirage.  This is what I feel I have to explain over and over.  Drives me nuts.

If a guy puts one year of maybe above average tape, and I stress MAYBE, out there... along with 2 terrible years of college plus 2 more terrible years of pro...

The one season is the aberration and not the norm.  He didn't "forget how to play" as you put it.  HE NEVER FREAKIN' COULD PLAY TO BEGIN WITH!

• Upvote 1

My take on Hack is he should of transferred when Penn St hired Franklin.  He was not a fit in that Offense, took a beating, lost all confidence, etc.  Only reason he was a prospect in the ‘16 draft was that freshman season in a pro style offense.  Should of never went in the 2nd, but could def see someone taking a flyer on him in rounds 4 thru 6.  Thought Houston or NE would take him around there.  Mac likely heard a ton about Hack thru O’Brien, got cute/cocky in the war room, reached at 2, probably thought he got a steal.  Hack got to camp, coaching staff realized he was completely lost, not all there and that was it.  

• Upvote 1