Ben McAdoo doesn’t like the way Sam Darnold throws the football

Gas2No99

40 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I am not making any analysis of Allen at all.  I am saying that USC and UCLA have considerably more WR talent than Wyoming.  It is a fact, it isn't really something to debate.  It may not matter.  Wyoming played teams with worse talent too, but the idea that their skill positions were comparable to the monster than USC trots out there is a joke. 

USC and UCLA had considerably more WR talent than Wyoming.  That is a fact.  Whether guys "move the needle" in the NFL is not really relevant. I have no angle, just pointing out your ridiculous statement was wrong.  Since you don't know who Darnold's #3 WR was, maybe you don't want to have this discussion.  Especially when that #3 is in an NFL camp

Just a thought...how can you compare a QB' s offensive talent and performance, when Sam and Josh played against a higher level of talent than Josh Allen?  Isn't that the qualifier?

I think USC's issue last year was more on a piecemeal offensive line decimated by injury and true freshmen thrown into playing before they should have....and questionable coaching.  

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Two things are true: 1. Ben McA-WHO? and, 2. Darnold has a weird motion that will be talked about non-stop if he starts throwing tons of picks.

There are really a ton of QB’s who have weir throwing motions...and it has really no correlation to the success or lack of success they have 

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Two things are true: 1. Ben McA-WHO? and, 2. Darnold has a weird motion that will be talked about non-stop if he starts throwing tons of picks.

No question. If he was a rough rookie year I can practically visualize the off-season articles about the QB gurus brought in to fix his "wonky" motion during the off-season.

2 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Just a thought...how can you compare a QB' s offensive talent and performance, when Sam and Josh played against a higher level of talent than Josh Allen?  Isn't that the qualifier?

I think USC's issue last year was more on a piecemeal offensive line decimated by injury and true freshmen thrown into playing before they should have....and questionable coaching.  

Totally. If you want to use the "talent around him" excuse for Allen's dreadful performances against Iowa and Oregon it works. Not so much when you stink against the rest of the Mountain West... Or the fact that Allen has never been accurate at ANY level including high school and JuCo.

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

6 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

There are really a ton of QB’s who have weir throwing motions...and it has really no correlation to the success or lack of success they have 

"A guy who has (Geno's) skill set is hard to find," praised Ben McAdoo after Smith's signing. "You can't find guys out there that have that type of arm talent, the quick release, the throwing motion and the feet to go with it."

9 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

That is my point.  The post I responded too, said that the Pac-however ******* many are in it now was tougher and the WR talent was the same.  I don't disagree that the Mountain West is considerably worse, but so were Wyoming's WRs. 

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

"A guy who has (Geno's) skill set is hard to find," praised Ben McAdoo after Smith's signing. "You can't find guys out there that have that type of arm talent, the quick release, the throwing motion and the feet to go with it."

Lmfao. There is your concrete evidence on how throwing motion correlates with NFL success. Geno didn’t have the quick processor. Geno didn’t have the ability to make thing work out of the pocket on the run...he could run but it isn’t the same as making something happen outside of the pocket. Geno doesn’t have the decision making ability nor the field vision to do that. 

If Macadoo was that good he’d be working somewhere....and he’s an offensive guy supposedly. Darnold has a bit of a wind up delivery...so that makes him unqualified for QB in the NFL, BS. Hack worked on his motion all off season and all it got him was cut...twice. But Hack looks good throwing the football now.

9 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

That is my point.  The post I responded too, said that the Pac-however ******* many are in it now was tougher and the WR talent was the same.  I don't disagree that the Mountain West is considerably worse, but so were Wyoming's WRs. 

Pac-12.... and as I said the playing field evens out.

6 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I don’t like the way Ben coaches football.

Agreed. He runs a very complex offense that I believed Eli really struggled to adapt. I remember him changing Eli’s footwork the first year he coached. We’ll  see this year if Manning is washed up or he just couldn’t run MacAdoos scheme.

43 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

How many of them had weird motions, threw a ton of picks in college, then came to the pros and stopped throwing picks? 

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

What are you talking about?  Jordan Lasley was drafted. Darnold had Smith-Schuster in 2017.  Can you tell me which of Wyoming's WRs we are going to watch on Sundays?

Which defensive players who  Josh Allen was throwing against are we going to watch on Sundays?

All of this doesn't matter, if he wins, uses his weapons and put them in position to make plays, they will rally around him and gain their respect.  Perfect mechanics doesn't win games.

i quit taking some of these anylists seriously.  It's a guessing game, the NFL is a billion dollar business, if these guys knew one damn thing, they'd be making billions for that knowledge with frachises falling all over themselves hiring them.

Think the season can't come soon enough.

9 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Ben McAdoo rose through the ranks to become an NFL head coach before he turned 40, largely on his ability to assess and develop quarterbacks. 

Who did he assess and develop?

I was wondering that myself.  My recollection is that he buddied up to McCarthy and was primarily a TE coach.  Because he was pals with McCarthy that got him kicked to QB coach in 2012, but that was long after Rodgers had been "assessed and developed."

IMO, people are making too much out of his Darnold/Geno quotes.  It seems almost another indictment of the Hackenberg pick.  Coaches want to coach.  This strikes me as fear that he couldn't change/correct Darnold's motion, with a belief that he could correct Geno/Allen's decision making - or scheme around it.  It specifically said that he didn't like Rosen because of the durability concerns. 

Wasn’t there a sports science video that was going around the draft that showed Darnold having a really quick release despite the elongated/awkward throwing motion? Maybe his decision making is excellent and really quick which compensates for the slow wind up. Idk, just hope he is the franchise QB that we have been looking for either way. 

Meanwhile, Philip Rivers is shotputting his way to a borderline HOF career.....

By the way, Ben Mcadoo  has never "developed a quarterback " in his life. Ever. He spent most of his career as a ST/TE coach. The only time he was a QB coach was in 2012-13 when Rogers  had 8 years in the league. Guy is a bullsh*t artist who will never be an OC or HC ever again, so who cares? McAdoo is just trying to remind the football world he still exists. 

It’s refreshing to get a real coaches unvarnished opinions in these guys.

Its a good read 

I don’t agree with him but that’s his right.  

Im ok with sams motion- plus I think he cleaned it up a little with Jordan Palmer from what I’ve read.

As far as his rankings- I don’t get how anyone can think Lamar Jackson is a legit starting QB after listening to him speak. He’s a nice kid but is dumb. 

35 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Meanwhile, Philip Rivers is shotputting his way to a borderline HOF career.....

By the way, Ben Mcadoo  has never "developed a quarterback " in his life. Ever. He spent most of his career as a ST/TE coach. The only time he was a QB coach was in 2012-13 when Rogers  had 8 years in the league. Guy is a bullsh*t artist who will never be an OC or HC ever again, so who cares? McAdoo is just trying to remind the football world he still exists. 

People TRASHED Rivers the year he was drafted for his throwing motion

50 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Wasn’t there a sports science video that was going around the draft that showed Darnold having a really quick release despite the elongated/awkward throwing motion? Maybe his decision making is excellent and really quick which compensates for the slow wind up. Idk, just hope he is the franchise QB that we have been looking for either way. 

His release is fine it’s similar to Russell Wilson’s

6 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Ben McAdoo doesn’t like the way Sam Darnold throws the football

Ben McAdoo and Sam Darnold

Ben McAdoo rose through the ranks to become an NFL head coach before he turned 40, largely on his ability to assess and develop quarterbacks. Most everything went awry for him and the Giants in 2017, but that should not discount McAdoo as a keen evaluator of the most important position on the field.

With time to kill and a desire to stay close to the game after he was fired with four games remaining last season, McAdoo took it upon himself to scout the top quarterbacks entering the 2018 draft. He rated Josh Allen of Wyoming as the best of the bunch — new Giants coach Pat Shurmur also had Allen No. 1 — but, overall, McAdoo was not enamored of this class of quarterbacks.:blink:

“There was no Andrew Luck coming out, no guy head and shoulders above everybody else,’’ McAdoo told The Post.

That is not the most encouraging news for the Jets. McAdoo wonders if Sam Darnold, taken No. 3, will ever be the franchise-saver the Jets need him to be. McAdoo could not get past flaws in Darnold’s throwing mechanics and his ball security.

“I think the kid the Jets drafted has a lot of magic in his game,’’ McAdoo said. “I think he’s special. He’s obviously a talented guy, he can make plays with his feet. I’d just have a hard time drafting a guy in the first round where you don’t necessarily like the way he throws. 

“He can overcome it, guys have, but that’s something that’s a challenge for me. I’m gonna be looking at that, trying to fix it, because it’s a fundamental flaw, and I believe in the fundamentals. The quarterback, his No. 1 job is to pass the football. If I don’t like the way he throws the ball, I have a hard time picking him, right?’’

McAdoo had Allen — taken by the Bills at No. 7 — at his top quarterback based on his “high ceiling.’’ His second-rated player was Lamar Jackson of Louisville, who went No. 32 to the Ravens. He put Darnold slightly ahead of Josh Rosen — who went No. 10 to the Cardinals — based on Rosen’s durability concerns.

“If he stays out on the field he’s probably going to be a helluva player and he’s probably going to be the most ready to play,’’ McAdoo said of Rosen. “I don’t worry about the other stuff they say, the leadership stuff, that’s all B.S. Aaron Rodgers was not all that. I don’t want a nice guy. Between the lines on Sunday, you give me a prick, I’ll take him.’’:lol:

McAdoo worked with Browns general manager John Dorsey when the two were together in Green Bay and said “I have a lot of respect for how he looks at players.’’ Still, McAdoo sounded a bit mystified Dorsey made Baker Mayfield the No. 1 pick in the entire draft. McAdoo had Mayfield as his sixth-rated quarterback (Mason Rudolph of Oklahoma State was his No. 5).

“He’s got an edge to him, I like that. He’s gonna lead, they’re gonna follow him,’’ McAdoo said of Mayfield. “I didn’t see a lot of pro-style football in his college tape. And if you’re short you have to be able to make up for it some way, somehow, and personality doesn’t do that.” I didn’t think he was a great athlete. This guy is kinda like a pocket quarterback that is short and with small hands, that’s what I worry about.’’

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

This is the SAME Head Coach who wanted to play Geno Smith over Eli Manning. 

He is “special” but he wouldn’t draft him in the first round? Ok. Wonder how he likes Phillip Rivers throwing motion.

32 minutes ago, HessStation said:

This is about as irrelevant as it gets for the offseason but to be fair, this was a little bit of the knock you’d hear on Darnold around the draft. To MacAdoo’s point, none of the prospects were slam dunk Andrew Luck’s. 

your icon...  whoa

Archived