Game Observations (MIA)

KRL

3 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

This is something he could have learned in his previous 8+ years of football, no?

Of course. But could have also had the mindset of trying to get more yards and make a play to help the team. There's veterans that do the same thing. Not gonna kill him two games into his career.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, bitonti said:

I like how the first 10 points KRL Makes are brutally accurate but this one is pure green colored glasses 

Sam Darnold's first interception to McDonald was awful, put the Fins on a short field, and they never looked back.

the stats he had were if not garbage time stats, at least prevent zone stats. the team was down 20-0 at halftime and the dolphins gave the Jets the middle of the field. 

Darnold himself had the ball security issues, besides the 2 int he had a fumble on the first drive the team recovered and he didn't take care of the football this week, just like he didn't take care of it last week, and also at USC. Turnovers were his "weakness" on the scouting reports and we are 2 games in and these turnovers have not been eliminated. 

Don't believe me? Look at this play again and tell me how it's the OL or the RBs or the WR's fault. 

https://www.miamidolphins.com/video/t-j-mcdonald-picks-off-sam-darnold-returns-it-31-yards

It’s his second game. There was enough good to compensate for the bad. Enough good to at least be somewhat confident that he’s the guy. If anything he’s been too safe in the first quarter.

3 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

He should've gotten out of bounds on the pass before that, he turned back inside. But that's just something he'll learn as he goes. 

That, the out of bounds, yes.   The one in the middle of the field, that was a really tough play that he obviously put effort into trying to make.

22 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I think I mentioned it in the game thread, but this was brutal. I remember thinking that I'd love to see more camera angles on this because it looks like Sam took the safe throw to Q instead of trying for a bomb....but I couldn't see the safety in the frame so I wasn't sure if I was making something out of nothing.

Also, I know everyone's blaming Pryor for that pick, but Sam could have had better ball placement.

Regardless, I'm still in love with Sam.

Pryor's blaming Pryor for the pick.  He's not a guy that takes blame often.

1 minute ago, flgreen said:

That pick felt eerily similar to the Fitz INT at Buffalo. 

4 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Pryor falls under "everyone". Good on him. Ball could have been placed better is all I'm saying.

2 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

Those days are over. The casual fan is much more concerned with the almighty benjamins.  They dump their tickets at face or below value to opposing fans now. Just wait until they can get premium $$ for those tickets. Stubhub and the secondary ticket market has changed the home field fan experience for ever. 

I've been going to games via my family's season tickets since the mid 70's and have been to a ton of games, and yes, the fan experience has changed significantly since StubHub and other secondary market outlets have hit the scene, but that being said, there was an incredible amount of Dolphins fans there yesterday.  We'll never be able to eliminate the opposing team's fans completely, but as any home team becomes a perennial winner and remains competitive, the opposing team's fans in the building definitely gets much smaller.  That's all I'm hoping for.  

3 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

Not surprising that a 4th year player playing on a very good team looks pretty good compared to a rookie player playing on a rebuilding team with a rookie QB. I seemed to remember him costing the Jets some points last year as well.

Him costing the Jets points is my point.  It doesn’t matter the quality of the team, not dropping easy passes is not dropping easy passes.

3 hours ago, KRL said:

Seferian-Jenkins producing 6 rec and 48 yards is not "Gronk like":

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/16795/austin-seferian-jenkins

It's just a continuation of his 50 rec and 350 yards he produced for the Jets

You put gronk-like in quotes as if anyone said that.  There’s a lot of in-between of dropping easy passes and being like Gronk.

47 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Him costing the Jets points is my point.  It doesn’t matter the quality of the team, not dropping easy passes is not dropping easy passes.

Sure. Totally blame him. Let's face it, if the Jets were a better team, his mistakes may not have been as costly or he wouldn't be playing so much. Also, just because SJ had a good couple of games doesn't mean that he would have been as effective here, or that it will continue. Herndon will improve or he won't get back on the field. I don't, however, think it is time to cut bait on him yet....

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

I like how the first 10 points KRL Makes are brutally accurate but this one is pure green colored glasses 

Sam Darnold's first interception to McDonald was awful, put the Fins on a short field, and they never looked back.

the stats he had were if not garbage time stats, at least prevent zone stats. the team was down 20-0 at halftime and the dolphins gave the Jets the middle of the field. 

Darnold himself had the ball security issues, besides the 2 int he had a fumble on the first drive the team recovered and he didn't take care of the football this week, just like he didn't take care of it last week, and also at USC. Turnovers were his "weakness" on the scouting reports and we are 2 games in and these turnovers have not been eliminated. 

Don't believe me? Look at this play again and tell me how it's the OL or the RBs or the WR's fault. 

https://www.miamidolphins.com/video/t-j-mcdonald-picks-off-sam-darnold-returns-it-31-yards

Im really amazed someone could watch yesterdays game and come away with this take on Darnold.

He has thrown one bad pick vs detroit and one yesterday, which you included.  I would hardly call that not eliminating turnovers, hes a 21 year old playing his first season in the NFL, hes gonna turn it over sometimes and hes going to miss open players.  It happens to every QB in the league.  The entire outcome of the game changes if Herndon doesnt drop a ridiculous 40 yard throw - was that Darnold's fault too?

I was at the game and watched the "highlights" today, and not for a second have I thought he was the problem yesterday.

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

It's called being a rookie.  Peyton Manning went 3-13 as a rookie, I suppose you would've given up then?

37 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

It's called being a rookie.  Peyton Manning went 3-13 as a rookie, I suppose you would've given up then?

I am not saying give up on Darnold and yes these are rookie mistakes. I don't have to sit here and like them. 

by the way using that logic Jamal Adams is 22 and shouldn't be expected to know to cover people on 3rd and 19 

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I am not saying give up on Darnold and yes these are rookie mistakes. I don't have to sit here and like them. 

by the way using that logic Jamal Adams is 22 and shouldn't be expected to know to cover people on 3rd and 19 

I don't think anyone absolved Darnold of the first pick. It was 100% his fault and put the team in an early hole. It's also the type of pick (never saw the guy sitting there) that rookies (or Matt Stafford) often make when they misread coverages. 

He's gonna make his mistakes, we always knew he'd turn the ball over. Let's just hope the "learns from his mistakes, doesn't make them twice" narrative is true.

All rookies have a learning curve. But this kid plays like very few rookies I’ve seen play. The command, poise, pocket awareness, deciveness, accuracy, mobility (without running like a chicken with his head cut off), field vision, and overall maturity are all off the charts.

The picks will happen. Peyton Manning had 28 his rookie year. But he’s moving the ball, getting TD’s, and his WR’s left a lot of passes on the field yesterday that should have been caught, including a TD.

He’s 21! And the youngest QB to throw for over 300 yards. I’ll tale games like yesterday as growing pains. It’s the rest of this team I’m worried about.

3 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

Sure. Totally blame him. Let's face it, if the Jets were a better team, his mistakes may not have been as costly or he wouldn't be playing so much. Also, just because SJ had a good couple of games doesn't mean that he would have been as effective here, or that it will continue. Herndon will improve or he won't get back on the field. I don't, however, think it is time to cut bait on him yet....

This post is hillarious.

Theres like 4 arguments in here that you’re making against points that I never make.

Great work.

27 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

This post is hillarious.

Theres like 4 arguments in here that you’re making against points that I never make.

Great work.

Actually you posted 'Herndon sucking made all the worse by how good S-F has looked in Jax'

I responded with 'Not surprising that a 4th year player playing on a very good team looks pretty good compared to a rookie player playing on a rebuilding team with a rookie QB' and that he wasn't perfect when he was here'

you posted that you blame him for loosing points; I said 'go ahead and blame him' - basically sure give it to him;

Then, I moved on to 'hey a better team wouldn't need to play him until he got better, and it will work out and that just because S-F looked good on a good team for 2 games doesn't mean that we will 'regret' not resigning him - responding to your original post.

But, hey, thanks for the 'great work' i appreciate it.

2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I don't think anyone absolved Darnold of the first pick. It was 100% his fault and put the team in an early hole. It's also the type of pick (never saw the guy sitting there) that rookies (or Matt Stafford) often make when they misread coverages. 

He's gonna make his mistakes, we always knew he'd turn the ball over. Let's just hope the "learns from his mistakes, doesn't make them twice" narrative is true.

LOL

Yeah, it just took two whole forum pages for anyone to actually mention it...That seems like absolution to me. He had a game typical of a rookie, like Herndon did, except nobody said "...there is possibly evidence that Herndon single-handedly lost the game..." when, of course, he didn't.

Miami is a difficult matchup for the Jets.

That said, I'd rather Darnold make his 'mistakes' downfield instead of closer to the line of scrimmage. And that points to over-cautious play calling early on. I understand wanting to get rid of the ball quickly, but Dolphins' defensive vulnerability is its LBs deep zone pass coverage. Letting them play defense with everyone in front of them doesn't exploit that. So,  I think the game plan was a little flawed in that respect.

I appreciate how Darnold played, not his best game but still productive and he's learning, that's the important thing.

18 minutes ago, phill1c said:

LOL

Yeah, it just took two whole forum pages for anyone to actually mention it...That seems like absolution to me. He had a game typical of a rookie, like Herndon did, except nobody said "...there is possibly evidence that Herndon single-handedly lost the game..." when, of course, he didn't.

Miami is a difficult matchup for the Jets.

That said, I'd rather Darnold make his 'mistakes' downfield instead of closer to the line of scrimmage. And that points to over-cautious play calling early on. I understand wanting to get rid of the ball quickly, but Dolphins' defensive vulnerability is its LBs deep zone pass coverage. Letting them play defense with everyone in front of them doesn't exploit that. So,  I think the game plan was a little flawed in that respect.

I appreciate how Darnold played, not his best game but still productive and he's learning, that's the important thing.

Herndon had one of the worst single game performances from a tight end I can ever remember seeing. That was a seasons full of errors. Gave up on routes, drops, not getting out of bounds, not attempting to recover a fumble in front of him and then the disaster at the GL.

Not getting the idea that HCs coach players to make mindless physical mistakes like we made Sunday.  How is Bowles to blame for a fumble by Anderson, Herndon not getting OBs, not getting the TD and Pryor turning a TD where he beat the coverage into an INT?  None of this are on the CS and were reasons we lost.  

Obviously we didn't play a great, clean game but the game was far from an indication that he's the worst ever

20 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Herndon had one of the worst single game performances from a tight end I can ever remember seeing. That was a seasons full of errors. Gave up on routes, drops, not getting out of bounds, not attempting to recover a fumble in front of him and then the disaster at the GL.

well...many here wanted mr fumbles 3 yds on 3rd and 4 ASJ!!!

( maybe it was a HLAF seasons erros? jajajaj!

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Not getting the idea that HCs coach players to make mindless physical mistakes like we made Sunday.  How is Bowles to blame for a fumble by Anderson, Herndon not getting OBs, not getting the TD and Pryor turning a TD where he beat the coverage into an INT?  None of this are on the CS and were reasons we lost.  

Obviously we didn't play a great, clean game but the game was far from an indication that he's the worst ever

Vince Lombardi obsessed over details with his players.  So did Parcells.  

Over the past 2 seasons, and to a lesser extent in 2015, Jet fans and journalists have questioned the quality of overall coaching.  We were hoping for better in 2018.  Except for a few short circuits, the Lions game looked good.  The Dolphins game had alot of coaching issues-penalties, attention to detail, game plan, game decisions, etc.  

Everyone has good and bad days.  I think after 6 games we will have a better feel for how well the Jets are organized and coached.  

47 minutes ago, varjet said:

Vince Lombardi obsessed over details with his players.  So did Parcells.  

Over the past 2 seasons, and to a lesser extent in 2015, Jet fans and journalists have questioned the quality of overall coaching.  We were hoping for better in 2018.  Except for a few short circuits, the Lions game looked good.  The Dolphins game had alot of coaching issues-penalties, attention to detail, game plan, game decisions, etc.  

Everyone has good and bad days.  I think after 6 games we will have a better feel for how well the Jets are organized and coached.  

We have a lot of young players.   We need to see improvement individually and as a team as this season progresses.   If we see continued improvement,  that’s on the coaching.   Same if we don’t.

This is probably worthy of another thread, but let's think about what Mac have done, realistically, to build a better OL for this team now that they have a QB.  I would rule out crazy trades up.  

I would also ignore, for now, the fact that Cam Robinson is injured.  

Understanding that Mac was going to find a franchise QB if he was going to keep his job, somehow (which could have been Cousins or Smith), he should have prioritized building the OL over bad picks.  He could have, theoretically:

• Drafted Cody Whitehair in the second round of 2016 instead of Hack-there is our left guard.
  • Traded down in 2017 and taken Cam Robinson instead of Adams.  The Jets still could have drafted Marcus Maye, maybe Budda Baker, John Johnson, Eddie Jackson, etc. for safeties.  Adams looks good, but LT is critical.
  • Rather than trade down in the 3rd round and end up with two of Stewart, Hansen and Leggett (what a draft that was), he could have taken Pat Elflein at Center.

So theoretically the line would be Robinson, Whitehair, Elflein, Winters and Shell, which would not only be better than what we have now, but cheaper.

There are other ways to skin this cat, but Mac could have built a better OL than he did.  It will cost the Jets AT LEAST 4 wins this year.  

On 9/17/2018 at 4:15 PM, jetscrazey said:

It kills me when people talk about prevent zone stats.  Brady gets 2 TDs a game that way.  Rogers, too.  Lots of QBs.  But when a rookie gets them they are somehow tainted.

36 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Meanwhile, this apparently was not interference.... oh, and holy sh*t Robby is skinny. Wow.

20180918_181239.jpg

Teams get to send issues like this to the league. That photo is so damning of the blind refs it's sickening. Especially that we all know, you switch Robbie with Edelman & that is called 100 times out of 100. It's a huge problem with consistency in the NFL regarding the officiating.

Archived