Le'Veon Bell ineligible to Return in 2018 After Failing to Report to Steelers

joewilly12

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I am going to try and stay away from Le'V Bell topics until it is time to revisit them in the spring...

And then sway as many posters as I can why he needs to be at the top of the Jets fraud agency target list...

People arguing against him know damn well when March rolls around and they are all excited to spend big money and get some talent in here, that they are going to be drooling at the mouth for the only true offensive weapon in FA. 

These are the same people that will be yelling at Maccagnan(or new GM) if he doesn’t buy Le’Veon Bell.

Save the fake lack of disinterest fellas..you know you’ll want to go all in when the time comes.

48 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

That’s exactly what this is Lith! He deserves it. Guy has been running the hell outta the rock. Getting hurt and getting less money is not acceptable.

I am not saying he doesn't deserve it.  He is using the tools he has available to exert leverage and get market value for his services.  Good for him and more power to him. 

My only point is that I am tired of hearing ex-players & writers push the narrative that this is about his financial security.  It is not -- it is about getting paid market value for services  And that is fair.

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

I am not saying he doesn't deserve it.  He is using the tools he has available to exert leverage and get market value for his services.  Good for him and more power to him. 

My only point is that I am tired of hearing ex-players & writers push the narrative that this is about his financial security.  It is not -- it is about getting paid market value for services  And that is fair.

It absolutely is.

I feel like I would do the same. I wouldn’t risk losing 100mill a year later just to play for a franchise, this year, that doesn’t even really care if I stay or go.

The only way to give a guy like this a contract is to have it heavily incentivized.  

Let's say a guarantee of $5million/year for three years.  So he gets a guaranteed income.

$500,000 per game he starts.

Excalators for yards for scrimmage, so he can basically make a ton of money if he produces.  Give him $1,000/yard, or more.  

So it costs the Jets something to partner with him, but he gets paid real money only if he plays and produces.  We call that "schmuck insurance."

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

He’s not getting what he would of gotten and that’s the whole point of the example. Don’t be naive. You and I both know that teams aren’t paying what they would of paid for a player that has had a major injury no matter WHAT the healing probability is.(btw, he’s now in his 30’s and yes that matters)

Watering down the impact of a broken leg and comparing it to a torn achilles serves for a weak angle to argue from. 

Watering down the impact of a broken leg vs an Achilles tear? Do you have any idea what you're talking about? 

Recovery from a broken leg is far easier with far less long term impact. It's not going to hurt earl Thomas at all in free agency. 

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Watering down the impact of a broken leg vs an Achilles tear? Do you have any idea what you're talking about? 

Recovery from a broken leg is far easier with far less long term impact. It's not going to hurt earl Thomas at all in free agency. 

I’m not saying it isn’t an easier recovery. What I’m saying is a broken leg is still a major injury and a turn off to franchises. 

Trying to belittle my argument with weak angles is still not working. He’s still not getting what he would of if the injury wouldn’t of happened. Healing process is irrelevant. 

Try again.

3 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Some of you are coming at the guy sideways for no reason! Go get that money you deserve brother! He earned his paycheck and it’s not his fault that teams do not want to pay running backs anymore. 

Stand up for what you believe in. He’s gonna get his check. This ain’t charity work. He ain’t doing this for free. He’s still running off a rookie contract and they disrespected him with their last offer. He carved himself into the top 2 running backs in the league. Now he could of went out there and hurt himself trying to get a contract for another team(because Pitt was never signing him back for what he wanted.) just like Earl Thomas did. Poor guy broke his leg trying to show up and play in the midst of trade rumors and an upcoming payday and now Thomas won’t get crap from anyone!

I can't believe how many are crushing this guy for standing up for what he wants. The owners discard players and throw them for the gogs every day. Now a high profile player puts his money where his mouth is. Does a favor for all players in the league and he's a jerk? I don't get it.

5 minutes ago, rldev said:

I can't believe how many are crushing this guy for standing up for what he wants. The owners discard players and throw them for the gogs every day. Now a high profile player puts his money where his mouth is. Does a favor for all players in the league and he's a jerk? I don't get it.

People love to judge before they ever begin to think about putting themselves in that position. Would you risk over 100mill today to play for a franchise that doesn’t even care if you leave or stay? 14 million is chump change compared to what Bell’s next contract will look like and not only is he going to get it. he flat out deserves it.

I don’t care what James Connor is doing right now or how that projects on Bell’s value. He put the numbers up and now he’s due for some cash.

8 minutes ago, rldev said:

People see the franchise tag at 16 million and wonder how someone could possibly pass up that money. But if he gets injured, maybe that's it for him. It makes sense to sit out the year and wait for that big pay day. Gurley got 45 million gaurenteed. On the open market bell will easily top that

5 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

It was a dumb move for so many reasons. 

Look at Trumaine Johnson. He got 13 million and 16 million playing under franchise tag. Then got a huge deal from the Jets. If he had sat out 2017, he wouldn't have gotten a better deal from the Jets this past offseason.

Granted, RBs get wear and tear from getting too many carries, but I highly doubt a team will pay him 14 million more over the course of a contract to make up for the lost year. If anything, some teams may be scared to give him a deal knowing that he is capable of sitting out when he doesn't get what he wants.  

And if you are a GM and watch James Conner step in and play just as good as Bell, don't you question how valuable Bell truly is? If you look back and remember, Deangelo Williams also looked great replacing Bell when he was suspended. 

Agreed that no doubt he will NOT make up that lost 14 mil. I think he became an ego/power thing where he just wanted to screw Pitt. and get out from under their control. IMHO

3 hours ago, varjet said:

The only way to give a guy like this a contract is to have it heavily incentivized.  

Let's say a guarantee of $5million/year for three years.  So he gets a guaranteed income.

$500,000 per game he starts.

Excalators for yards for scrimmage, so he can basically make a ton of money if he produces.  Give him $1,000/yard, or more.  

So it costs the Jets something to partner with him, but he gets paid real money only if he plays and produces.  We call that "schmuck insurance."

This is completely unrealistic. Pure fantasy. No contracts are this uneven with incentives vs guaranteed money/salary. Come on now. 

2 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

Agreed that no doubt he will NOT make up that lost 14 mil. I think he became an ego/power thing where he just wanted to screw Pitt. and get out from under their control. IMHO

Yup, and the main reason why I think this wasn't a well thought out decision by Bell is because he didn't just announce it before the season. He could have just as easily said, 'hey, if you franchise tag me I am out all year." Instead, he said that he was going to break records this year. Why say that if you are planning on  holding out? I am pretty sure watching all these other great players get big paydays before the season, even Mack got traded and paid, pissed him off and he acted out of anger, not logic. 

I also  think if Conner had been a bust and the Steelers were struggling at 4-4, he would have come back to save the day. Instead, he realized that he could actually look worse than Conner and hurt his value by playing. 

If you are a running an NFL franchise and thinking about spending 50-60 million on an aging RB, can you trust Bell? The Steelers got screwed by him. They weren't told of his intentions. They were left trying to figure out his cryptic messages. Tomlin said Bell never responded to his tweets. Is that the kind of player you pay big bucks to? What happens in year 2 or 3 of the deal you sign? Will Bell start flaking out again because he isn't happy with his contract? 

Sure a team will sign him. It could be the Jets. But I think his antics have cost him a ton of money.

The first guy through the wall always gets bloodied.

Le'veon Bell could be our Curtis Martin but actually produce in a big game. The guy is combo great RB, great WR, he's 2 players in 1. Imagine what an innovative OC could do here with him. 

I think it's hilarious we have fans poo pooing the idea of signing Bell in free agency, hell, Tuna gave up draft picks AND signed Martin to a huge contract. 

I'll be so disappointed if he picks the Colts, ugh! Hopefully we'll have a good exciting coaching group in here to recruit him. Bilal Powell/Crowell don't hold a candle to Bell. 

Just because RB is undervalued in the NFL doesn't mean the guy should let the Steelers underpay him & then give him 400 touches. 14 million & then you tear your ACL or Achilles? Plus you touched the ball 400 times? 

Other top RBs should be thanking him! Hell, Bosa held out & the dude never played a down in the NFL & here you guys are dissing a guy chosen in the top 5 every year of the TOP 100 players in the NFL by HIS PEERS! I don't blame him one bit, it was a principle move.

13 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Reminder:  He turned down $70M over 5 years from the Steelers and he'd expect a lot more (not less, not an incentivized deal, etc.) to play with a bottom rung team like the Jets.

He did but only first year was Guaranteed so if he got hurt they can cut him. So it was pretty much like getting franchise each year but Steelers could just dump him after first. That’s why he didn’t resign with Steelers.

Bell might not make up the $14.5 M over his career but you have to figure he will get around $45M guaranteed (similar to Gurley) with a FA contract so will end up with more money overall than if he had been injured under the tag or the Steelers contract offer this year - maybe holding out cost him some potential money but he can chalk that up to cost of insurance and will get more guaranteed, especially if you consider there he really only gave up ~8 million at this point in the season...

It sounds like he was ill advised to start the season (hold out) but once he and his agent realized the tag jumps to $25m next year it made more sense to wait to take full advantage of FA

all about the guarantee

8 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Yup, and the main reason why I think this wasn't a well thought out decision by Bell is because he didn't just announce it before the season. He could have just as easily said, 'hey, if you franchise tag me I am out all year." Instead, he said that he was going to break records this year. Why say that if you are planning on  holding out? I am pretty sure watching all these other great players get big paydays before the season, even Mack got traded and paid, pissed him off and he acted out of anger, not logic. 

I also  think if Conner had been a bust and the Steelers were struggling at 4-4, he would have come back to save the day. Instead, he realized that he could actually look worse than Conner and hurt his value by playing. 

If you are a running an NFL franchise and thinking about spending 50-60 million on an aging RB, can you trust Bell? The Steelers got screwed by him. They weren't told of his intentions. They were left trying to figure out his cryptic messages. Tomlin said Bell never responded to his tweets. Is that the kind of player you pay big bucks to? What happens in year 2 or 3 of the deal you sign? Will Bell start flaking out again because he isn't happy with his contract? 

Sure a team will sign him. It could be the Jets. But I think his antics have cost him a ton of money.

I , for one, want no part of him or his antics.

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

If the Jets signed Bell, he'd be the best offensive player to put on Jets jersey, in a honestly dont know how long.

Who have the Jets had in the last 20 years that can hold Bell's jock?  Curtis?  Anyone else even close?   

The only catch is he will be aggressively pursued by other teams as well. He will be able to pretty much call his shots in the contract. My fear would be we get him and he pulls a Revis or Trumaine Johnson slouch-a-thon on us. 

It would be nice if you could get a touchdown and or yardage escalation clause in the contract. Don’t think he does that so you gotta roll the dice. At the end of the day I think you still go after him and hope for the best. Just Jets and stuff. 

Well he took the year off and passed on 14 mil (which is a lot for a Rb) because of 1. money but 2. health. He apparently felt  his body needed a year off and who is going to argue with him about that. So whoever signs him will get a rested player who should be pretty healthy. You never know like Dez you can go down first day of practice. But someone is going to sign him we have a need and we have the money. To me the decision is based on the results of his physical. But I wouldn't pay him what he probably is going to ask for which is a lot of guaranteed money and maybe slightly under 20 mil per. He's good but at his position there is a lot of talent. 

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

The only catch is he will be aggressively pursued by other teams as well. He will be able to pretty much call his shots in the contract. My fear would be we get him and he pulls a Revis or Trumaine Johnson slouch-a-thon on us. 

It would be nice if you could get a touchdown and or yardage escalation clause in the contract. Don’t think he does that so you gotta roll the dice. At the end of the day I think you still go after him and hope for the best. Just Jets and stuff. 

I'd normally be dead set against giving a RB a second contract but Bell isnt just any old RB.  He's one of the my dynamic players I've ever seen.  He can do it all and that is so valuable to an offense and a young QB it's worth the price tag IMO. 

We have one of, if not the least talented rosters in Football especially on offense.  Passing on an elite. arguably top 10 player in this league just doesnt make sense to me.  I know we all want to draft these guys but this is the Jets we're talking about, we'd be searching for that guy for the rest of our lives.  And you cant put a price tag on Sam Darnold's development.  

You have a 100 mil to spend.  Spend it on the guy who is best served to help you young QB and that guy is Bell. 

Archived