Jonah Williams or Josh Allen at #3?

Freemanm

9 minutes ago, SheaRay said:

It's insane. The highest rated OT in the draft and we're supposed to pass on him because Johnny Comb Over on ESPN thinks he should go 8th. 

He started all 3 years at Alabama not to mention as a true freshman. 

And people wonder why we always suck. 

Also just look at the FA market.

You can solidify the passrush in FA. Sure, I don’t expect DeMarcus Lawrence or Jadeveon Clowney to be there for the taking, but you have a solid crop of guys. Anthony Barr would be awesome. Minnesota has been playing him out of position his entire career as a weakside 4-3 LB and he’s still managed to be a pro-bowl player. He absolutely has the size and explosiveness to play on the edge in a 3-4. 

Meanwhile, the only position on the OL that you’re going to improve in FA is center. The OT and OG crop is filled with over the hill vets. Why the hell would we waste money on 30+ year old guys like Jared Veldheer and Mike Iupati?

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Untouchable said:

The next person to call Jonah Williams a reach at #3 can give me a reach-around.

I’m taking him all damn day. Supporting Darnold is by far our biggest priority.

Hmm...

1 hour ago, SheaRay said:

It's insane. The highest rated OT in the draft and we're supposed to pass on him because Johnny Comb Over on ESPN thinks he should go 8th. 

Ahh... thought you were going to address the reach around.

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

You can solidify the passrush in FA. Sure, I don’t expect DeMarcus Lawrence or Jadeveon Clowney to be there for the taking, but you have a solid crop of guys. Anthony Barr would be awesome. Minnesota has been playing him out of position his entire career as a weakside 4-3 LB and he’s still managed to be a pro-bowl player. He absolutely has the size and explosiveness to play on the edge in a 3-4. 

Meanwhile, the only position on the OL that you’re going to improve in FA is center. The OT and OG crop is filled with over the hill vets. Why the hell would we waste money on 30+ year old guys like Jared Veldheer and Mike Iupati?

Exactly on the mark, my man. Anthony Barr, Fowler JR, etc and you compare that to virtually NO comfortable plug and play LT starters to pick from in FA — makes the choice obvious. Jonah Williams all day. 

As I said, he’s only getting pushed back — first and foremost — because this feels like a historic DL draft and secondly, his arm length is 1/2 less than ideal.

I’m taking him at 3 even if Kiper says that he’s the #8 guy. I’d refuse to ignore OL and take a DL or any edge not named Nick Bosa.

OL OL OL. Sam has had ZEROOOO time to throw back there and it’s not good. I don’t wanna see this crap anymore. I’m tired of seeing the OL in max protect and the D STILL get penetration within 1.4 seconds post-snap. I’m tired of seeing Darnold have to improvise, completely reverse field and make off balance throws because he has 3 guys chasing him before he has time to read the field. Sam Darnold’s play would improve so much more, as any QB, if you can give him some damn time to make a good read and decision. He makes good/quick reads as it is but imagine having more time than 4 milliseconds.

15 hours ago, Persiussa said:

I wish I could say Jonah Williams but from everything I’m hearing he projects to right tackle in the nfl.  Supposedly he moved to left tackle his senior year because Alabama lost their left tackle and he had a down year and should be moved back to right.  If Shell is healthy I feel comfortable with him on the right.

I want a tackle more than a pass rusher but honsestly when we’re on the board if bosa goes 1 the 9ers can’t take another defensive lineman after taking them years in a row.  Quinen Williams would be the best player available.  Would love to trade down a few spots and still get Jonah though. Unfortunately I can’t say I know much about josh Allen yet but from the people I’ve listened to he’s not projected to go as high as 3 at this time, that could change. 

If only he were a 1/2" taller he'd maybe have a shot at blocking an LDE. I guess we'll have to wait until next year and hope there's a LT in the draft because guys under 6'6" can't turn to their right.

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

Absolutely. Top 3 rushers coming at him. We’re going to find out quick, on the biggest stage, what Jonah is made of.

Exactly......I don't think it's crazy to think that if he wins most of the battles vs Clemson that he could push Bosa for #1 pick, considering that Cards and Niners have young FQB's, too.

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

My only hesitation here is that I don’t think Beachum and Shell are all that bad, but I know for a fact that our pass rush is pathetic. 

It will be a lot easier signing some pass rush help in free agency than getting a Tackle. Also don't forget Bowles and Rogers are gone so that should help even if we don't sign anyone.

Everyone who says “Williams isn’t a true LT he’s a RT or G” who cares! He’s an elite offensive lineman I don’t care where he plays put him on that line and have him block for Darnold for the next 15 years. Look what Nelson has done for that Indy offensive line this year and he’s a G

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Elaborate on how though. Because his arm’s are 1/2 shorter than ideal?

No, he just doesn’t seem to have the athleticism and the quickness that want from a LT. In today’s NFL really a RT as well. I know he has good technique and that isn’t enough if by the time you get your hands up the DE is by you.

He reminds me a lot of Brandon Sherrif, a heck of an interior lineman.

He can play LT. This LG talk is insane.

His arms aren’t long enough and he struggles against speed rushers.

He’s not a slam dunk LT. And if he’s not going to play there in the pros, he’s not worth the 3rd overall pick in the draft. Period.

More information is needed on whether he can translate to LT in the pros.

We tried the "draft Defense every 1st round, always draft Defense, defense, defense, defense!" concept for long enough.

It's time to try an Offensive Coach, and drafting Offensive players.

Everything for the next three+ years is about Darnold.  Every pick, every FA we chase, every coach we hire, needs to be first and foremost about building behind Darnold.

Yet another hyped up reach at "edge pass rusher" does nothing for Darnold. 

A stud O-lineman protects Darnold.

So I draft the O-Lineman, and hope our existing 1st round pick DE who was supposed to be our "elite edge rush" finally gets off his ass and does something on that score.

19 hours ago, Persiussa said:

I wish I could say Jonah Williams but from everything I’m hearing he projects to right tackle in the nfl.  Supposedly he moved to left tackle his senior year because Alabama lost their left tackle and he had a down year and should be moved back to right.  If Shell is healthy I feel comfortable with him on the right.

I want a tackle more than a pass rusher but honsestly when we’re on the board if bosa goes 1 the 9ers can’t take another defensive lineman after taking them years in a row.  Quinen Williams would be the best player available.  Would love to trade down a few spots and still get Jonah though. Unfortunately I can’t say I know much about josh Allen yet but from the people I’ve listened to he’s not projected to go as high as 3 at this time, that could change. 

This is all wrong. Williams was RT his Frosh year, moved to LT for the rest. If he was 2" taller, hes consensus #1 pick. Guy has great feet, good leverage and hands, and is an ass kicker. 

Go read RobRs stuff on the draft board.

8 hours ago, Untouchable said:

You have teams investing $100+ million in their qbs, but now they’re also finally paying interior OL to protect them as well as LT.  mccagnan probably thought better OL would shake free in FA but that’s not the case anymore - the new model is doing what the colts did.  

Josh Allen would be a nice pick and would be the first true pass rushing prospect we've drafted since Gholston. We've long ignored pass rushers in the early rounds of the draft. I'm in if Jonah doesn't test well.

Either way, one of these two look like the early favorites for the pick at 3.

24 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

His arms aren’t long enough and he struggles against speed rushers.

He’s not a slam dunk LT. And if he’s not going to play there in the pros, he’s not worth the 3rd overall pick in the draft. Period.

More information is needed on whether he can translate to LT in the pros.

Villain already got down to the nitty gritty on that topic. Can’t say I disagree with him. 

Archived