Jets rumored to get OL Rodger Saffold?

prime21

Would be a nice addition.  Solid veteran starter; 9th ranked guard last season per PFF:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-10-immediate-impact-free-agents

RODGER SAFFOLD, GUARD
If you need immediate offensive line help, the veteran route is almost assuredly the way to go. Again and again, we’ve seen how steep the learning curve is coming from college to the NFL, with Saffold being indicative of it himself. He earned two sub-70.0 overall grades his first two seasons in the NFL and has only had one in a full season since. The soon-to-be 31-year-old is coming off three straight full seasons allowing 25 or fewer pressures.

13 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

If true, Good sign for the Jets.  Aggressive, proactive move to start off free agency.  No downside with this signing, as long as it is for reasonable years and not ridiculous money.

Wonder if they'll be much competition for him ?

3 minutes ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

Saw something on Bills and Vikings are likely going after him as well

Vikings are 3rd worst in the league in cap space at just $7MM over (thank you, Kirk Cousins!).  Bills have plenty of cap but I think in a straight up competition, I'd hope the Jets were a more attractive landing spot based on location and roster (yes, the Bills are actually worse off than we are).  So if that's the extent of it, I am optimistic.

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Vikings are 3rd worst in the league in cap space at just $7MM over (thank you, Kirk Cousins!).  Bills have plenty of cap but I think in a straight up competition, I'd hope the Jets were a more attractive landing spot based on location and roster (yes, the Bills are actually worse off than we are).  So if that's the extent of it, I am optimistic.

plus who wants to live in that sh*thole

Would be a nice stopgap signing.

I know everyone wants young guys, but I wouldn’t get too obsessed over that. The Jets need quality players to help out Darnold, period. Even if they’re 30 year old vets on short term deals.

Bell, Saffold and Paradis/Morse would be a pretty damn good start to the offseason.

The Rams have alot of good players and need to pay Goff and others.  They cannot afford to pay a left guard.

They draft 31st and 63rd.  There will be a replacement guard there,  In the latter case, likely someone that the Jets could have targeted in the third round.  

Saffold was a good soldier for the Rams and helped them develop Goff.  Now he moves on and gets overpaid by a team that can't draft to conclude his career.  

Think about how great Faneca, Woody and even Kendall were for the Jets.  Saffold can be something like that.  

1 hour ago, Thai Jet said:

Wonder if they'll be much competition for him ?

Should be plenty of teams that are interested, the 49ers amongst them.  He said he wants to be around a winning culture and a stable environment when he spoke about the prospect of returning to the Rams, so the Jets will be pressed to convince him that we're going to be much improved, competitive going forward, and a place with a future.  He's not going to be cheap, but we already knew that.  He's going to be 31 In June, so you figure a four year contract would most likely be in order.

2 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

If true, Good sign for the Jets.  Aggressive, proactive move to start off free agency.  No downside with this signing, as long as it is for reasonable years and not ridiculous money.

2 hours ago, flgreen said:

This will be a good short term deal.  1-2 years.  Probably have to pay a pit more for that, but with the money the Jets have well worth it.

LOL We're not the only team that's going to be looking OL in FA this year. We aren't going to set the price for this type of guy, we're going to have to pay it. Guys like Saffold and Paradis are going to get big money and years. We've ignored the line for too long, now with a young QB finally here the chickens have come home to roost. We're not going to be able to dictate the length and terms to upper level FAs.

Bad drafting has consequences, and if you have to go shop in the open market, you have to pay at least the market price, sometimes more.

Archived