2 Bluechip Prospect Draft - We Pick 3rd

jetsfaneh

In a 2 bluechip prospect draft the Jets pick 3rd. Sounds about right for the Jets most years, right?? Lol. But...It looks like a QB will go in the first 2 picks. Just read that. 2 bluechip prospects. One of them will fall to you. That is a gift from the football gods! Regardless of position.

If you are picking 3rd you obviously need a top end talent to come via that first round pick. Bosa and Williams are those bluechippers. Bosa would be ideal since he fills a gaping need at edge rusher. But Quinnen Williams is just not a guy you can pass on if Bosa is off the board. Your needs today are not necessarily your needs tomorrow. And Steve McLendon is not a long term solution. And having Leonard Williams on one end is not a reason to pass on a bluechip prospect like Quinnen Williams.

Josh Allen is intriguing but I do not think any teams will have Allen above either Bosa or Williams on their draft boards. I believe Allen goes to the Raiders at 4, looking for a Khalil Mack/Bruce Irvin replacement, and in hindsight we will be very glad we didn't go that route. I do not see Allen having the impact at the NFL level that Bosa and Williams will have. There is a drop off there. Injuries aside, those top two guys have very little bust potential.

OLB, CB and C are such glaring needs for this team. And we surely will draft guys at those positions somewhere in the draft and hope they can play in the league. But we had so many holes that it was near impossible to fill them all. Or at least fill them with guys in their prime like Bell, Mosley, Osemele, Crowder. The Anthony Barr signing was huge for the Jets. That one hurt. As he was in his prime, productive and filled a huge need. It would have allowed so much more flexibility in this draft. Now I think you take the bluechip prospect that will be falling into your lap and make it work.

Hoping the Dee Ford signing in San Fran brings us Bosa. But Quinnen ain't no consolation prize. He might be the number one prize in this draft period. 

This is the narrative every year, "X blue chip prospects, Jets pick X+1... Bah!". Its a false narrative that gets reinforced by poor or underwhelming draft picks. There's plenty of talent available, and nobody had a clue who the real "blue chip NFL" guys are yet. 

How many top 5 draft pick DTs have been worth it? Most of these so called cant miss DTs were beating a bunch of guys who wont even make an NFL roster. Big boy Olineman in the NFL are a bit diffferent. Quinnen might be a good one, but he is not some Suh level prospect.

I personally think this is more like a 0-blue chip draft.

I mean, is there any draft in the last 10 years where any of these guys would go #1?  Or even #2?

These guys are getting some buzz - because there's nowhere else for the buzz to go.

We really need to trade down, no matter who is on the board.

2 hours ago, Barton said:

How many top 5 draft pick DTs have been worth it? Most of these so called cant miss DTs were beating a bunch of guys who wont even make an NFL roster. Big boy Olineman in the NFL are a bit diffferent. Quinnen might be a good one, but he is not some Suh level prospect.

I think he is a better prospect than Suh. Now what? 

I also think Allen is a blue Chip prospect and could easily end up better than quinnen and bosa. 

Either way, I'm very happy sitting at 3. Whether we pick one of those guys or trade back. We're in a great shape 

By most accounts there are three blue-chip defenders.  And most likely, with Murray going 1st, that means we will have our choice of two of them.  So of course anyone can craft a narrative to make the Jets look like they are screwed, but if they are, it's because we chose poorly, not because we just missed out on the top tier of players, of which we should have two to choose between.

2 minutes ago, freestater said:

I personally think Quinnen is the one blue chip prospect. Bosa has health issues, and concerns with Allen's technique/ ability 

Edit: they are both talented with great upside, dont get me wrong. I just think Q is the one "can't miss"

It feels like this board is almost equally split on which of the three is the preferred choice.  

You guys all know that Macc, though out of his league after the 1st has that Midas touch at the top of the draft. I'm alreading seeing what's going to go down. 

Cards take Murray, 49ers stretch out the clock & after signing Dee Ford take Quinnen Williams, Macc, Gase, Williams & Chris Johnson high five in the war room & send in the card reading NICK BOSA. It's gonna be sweet. 

Jamal Adams- Sam Darnold- Nick Bosa

Thats a damn good 3 year 1st round get.

The premise of this thread is wrong.  None of the top three picks will bust.  Not going to happen. 

Quinnen Williams will be a star. I'm starting to feel that Josh Allen will be a more productive all around player than Bosa.  He will most definitely be better in coverage, more versatile against the run, and give you more options on the edge in blitz packages.  That doesn't necessarily mean he should be drafted ahead of Bosa.  As a pure dominating pass rushing edge Bosa is superior. So, picking at #3 is not a curse.  In this draft it is a blessing.

That being said, TRADING BACK is the best possible outcome for the 2019 New York Jets. As a result, we are in a "Win, win" situation.  For once.

There are a couple of ways to look at this. 

Sheldon Richardson was paid big money to play for the Browns in their 4-3 defense.  If the Jets ran that, Quinnen could be a good pick. 

When the Jets made their DL picks for their 3-4 defense, they were trying to replicate Richard Seymour.  For may reasons he was not replicable.  Mo was a perfect 3-4 DE picked in the 20s. Sheldon was a good player we found use for.  Leo should probably be on a 4-3 team.  Henry Anderson is a good 3-4 DE who is stretching $10mm/year.  We should only have one player making that type of money for a 3-4 DL not names Watt.  

The draftniks continue to overrate college DL.  They seldom have the same impact in the NFL.

For the Jets running a 3-4 defense that wants to be competitive over the next 4 years in particular, Josh Allen seems like the call.  I think he will be motivated playing at home.  

I dont trust Bosa, and would not want to invest so much resources into a kid (and a family) that obviously look at Football as just a means to an end, have demonstrated a pattern of malingering, quit on their college teams in pursuit of individual goals, really don't seem to want to inconvenience themselves in any way, and just seem like mercenaries in a pure and cynical way. 

Just my feeling about the Bosa Boys.

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

I don’t think Bosa or Williams are blue-chip prospects. The thing that bothers me is Allen not jumping at the Combine. Considering he’s the guy we’re probably going to end up with, it’d be nice to know exactly how screwed we are. 

I think he will run at the QB not hop ?

Or maybe he can jump over the L and RT and he didn't want them to know just how high

4 hours ago, jetsfaneh said:

In a 2 bluechip prospect draft the Jets pick 3rd. Sounds about right for the Jets most years, right?? Lol. But...It looks like a QB will go in the first 2 picks. Just read that. 2 bluechip prospects. One of them will fall to you. That is a gift from the football gods! Regardless of position.

If you are picking 3rd you obviously need a top end talent to come via that first round pick. Bosa and Williams are those bluechippers. Bosa would be ideal since he fills a gaping need at edge rusher. But Quinnen Williams is just not a guy you can pass on if Bosa is off the board. Your needs today are not necessarily your needs tomorrow. And Steve McLendon is not a long term solution. And having Leonard Williams on one end is not a reason to pass on a bluechip prospect like Quinnen Williams.

Josh Allen is intriguing but I do not think any teams will have Allen above either Bosa or Williams on their draft boards. I believe Allen goes to the Raiders at 4, looking for a Khalil Mack/Bruce Irvin replacement, and in hindsight we will be very glad we didn't go that route. I do not see Allen having the impact at the NFL level that Bosa and Williams will have. There is a drop off there. Injuries aside, those top two guys have very little bust potential.

OLB, CB and C are such glaring needs for this team. And we surely will draft guys at those positions somewhere in the draft and hope they can play in the league. But we had so many holes that it was near impossible to fill them all. Or at least fill them with guys in their prime like Bell, Mosley, Osemele, Crowder. The Anthony Barr signing was huge for the Jets. That one hurt. As he was in his prime, productive and filled a huge need. It would have allowed so much more flexibility in this draft. Now I think you take the bluechip prospect that will be falling into your lap and make it work.

Hoping the Dee Ford signing in San Fran brings us Bosa. But Quinnen ain't no consolation prize. He might be the number one prize in this draft period. 

Umm pass rusher is a glaring need too

5 hours ago, jetsfaneh said:

Another poster who’d oesnt watch college football and make outrageous comments

3 hours ago, freestater said:

I personally think Quinnen is the one blue chip prospect. Bosa has health issues, and concerns with Allen's technique/ ability 

Edit: they are both talented with great upside, dont get me wrong. I just think Q is the one "can't miss"

And after Murray goes to the Cards I think SF takes Q after getting Dee Ford in FA..

Let's say for a second that Williams is 80% of arron Donald. First off, that would, under normal circumstances, be cause to take him #1. But what is his upside under this assumption? 8-10 sacks at best? I just don't think an interior dlineman can have the impact of an edge rusher like Josh Allen.

Archived