Live vs TV

82nd Airborne

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

do u like to have sex with your wife in ur house or would you prefer to drive deep into New Jersey and watch 60,000 of the worst extant people from Long Island and Staten Island have sex with her while you eat a twelve dollar pretzel. This is a metaphor 

The latter. I revel in schadenfreude.

Football has become the best pro sport for TV. One of the only pluses of living in Fairfield County CT is sometimes getting 2 games on at once. 2 hours + (with traffic) each way kills the experience. Going to one or two games a year is enough for me. Season tickets - no way. Have to pay full price for pre-season games and when the team is bad (which has happened many times), you can't give tickets away in late November/December

TV and it’s not even close. The live gameday experience is subpar, the stadium is meh at best, everything is overpriced and you miss the majority of other games because of travel. Also with the games I’ve been to over the last 2 years (5), the fans don’t bring it like they used to. I’m sure their record has something to do with that.

In some places where football is their religion (GB, Pittsburgh, etc.), I understand wanting to be there, but not in NY. 

IMO Football is built for TV.

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

do u like to have sex with your wife in ur house or would you prefer to drive deep into New Jersey and watch 60,000 of the worst extant people from Long Island and Staten Island have sex with her while you eat a twelve dollar pretzel. This is a metaphor 

Man, you have a way with words.?

2 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

TV and it’s not even close. The live gameday experience is subpar, the stadium is meh at best, everything is overpriced and you miss the majority of other games because of travel. Also with the games I’ve been to over the last 2 years (5), the fans don’t bring it like they used to. I’m sure their record has something to do with that.

In some places where football is their religion (GB, Pittsburgh, etc.), I understand wanting to be there, but not in NY. 

IMO Football is built for TV.

This. Do miss hanging out with lifelong friends at the tailgate, but don't relish getting the forever ride home  hours later. One thing the NFL and all sports don't get; going to the games is a young guy thing. Once you get married, have kids, have them get involved in kid stuff, your time is no longer your own, and that's not a bad thing. But obvious from the guys we all went to games with; burning 6-9 Sundays or night games doesn't really work.TV, Sunday, flick the TV on at game time,hopefully it's a good game. If not, like, usually,  walk away if it's a ToddBowlesRexRyanHermanEdwards sheet show.Too many games ended with the Jets failing to be remotely compelling, and in a time when offense exploded, Jets ALWAYS opted for an IDIOT who believed winning NFL games 13-10 was plausible. Had the Jets had a modicum of success or a coach who understood how NFL offense should work, might have changed my mind a bit, but doubt it. Jets management should know that the last 2 decades of garbage offense hurt their brand worse than anything else. Instead we get drum lines, new uniforms, and an ugly AC unit stadium with terrible parking and worse road access. 

7 minutes ago, section314 said:

You are spoiled....look who you get to watch. They would finish 2nd in our division every year.?

Honestly, it goes back to before Clemson went on this run.  I’ve always enjoyed the college game over the NFL, especially in person.  

11 minutes ago, section314 said:

I live in NJ, Rutgers country, so we don't have real college football.

You get a few good visiting teams each year,  it’s just not a football school.  From the administration down to the students, there just isn’t the interest in the game.  

I honestly can say I've only missed one game on TV at home since 1995.... Now that I have four kids,  they have grown to love " the spread"  I put out for every game and they devour it. I kind of enjoy gearing up for the game and taking Sundays off so I can drink a few beers not have to drive excetera excetera. I've actually only been to one live preseason game Jets Giants. But I was thinking about going this year in week 10. Don't get me wrong I have the game on two or three different TVs at once and scream my head off cussing at the refs. I know the live experience is a whole other entity all together, but I've just been doing it this way for so long it is truly my comfort zone and I look forward to it. Plus if we start sucking and we're the same old Jets I can just lay on the couch and go to sleep LOL

13 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

You get a few good visiting teams each year,  it’s just not a football school.  From the administration down to the students, there just isn’t the interest in the game.  

It was close when Schiano was on top but collapsed after he left. 

44 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Honestly, it goes back to before Clemson went on this run.  I’ve always enjoyed the college game over the NFL, especially in person.  

Looks like I am going to have a chance to combine the two this year.  Jets are in Miami same weekend Gators and Dawgs play in Jakcsonville.  Plan right now is to make it to both games.  Haven't been to Georgia-Florida since I was in school -- almost 30 years ago.

You buy a 65 inch TV to use it. I like to watch all Sunday long, so home is best for me. 

If you have a nice crowd to go out with that will enjoy tailgating and going to the game then sure, a couple times a year is great. But generally, my couch is where it's at, and if I want to tailgate I can just go to the balcony, cook up something and pop a beer.

15 hours ago, 82nd Airborne said:

Do you rather watch a game from a top row or from a big screen TV?

MetLIfe-Stadium-NYC.jpg

Easily, TV. You get to see the replays, hear the announcers desribe what happened etc. Plus you can get a drink or go to the bathroom easily during commercials.

3 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

Football has become the best pro sport for TV. One of the only pluses of living in Fairfield County CT is sometimes getting 2 games on at once. 2 hours + (with traffic) each way kills the experience. Going to one or two games a year is enough for me. Season tickets - no way. Have to pay full price for pre-season games and when the team is bad (which has happened many times), you can't give tickets away in late November/December

This.

I go to two games each year and my friends and I all make sure to plan those two games ahead of time. We generally have a tailgate of 15-30 people consisting of music, games, tons of food, tons to drink.

Otherwise, I'm not doing that drive from fairfield county 8 times a year (in traffic and/or bad weather) for the right to pay ~500/person/game. My big screen UHDTV in a temp-controlled room with whatever food I want and no line at the bathroom are just fine for me. And as others have mentioned, generally when I go to a game, I'm basically just reacting to scores and big plays. Very hard to be fully engrossed in the nuances of the game, the way you would be in front of a TV with the ability to actually hear/see clearly what's going on.

Edit: Also, redzone completely changed the game. Watching at home is that much more fun because I can set the computer/second TV to redzone all day long.

Couple of games a year live is sufficient but with the advent of the Red Zone--football have become the ultimate TV sport.

Of course watch the full Jet game but during commercials and halftime and the rest of Sunday is all about the Red Zone.

Brilliant.  

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 7:44 PM, T0mShane said:

you should repost what your day is like when you go to a jets game

On 4/18/2019 at 12:59 AM, Beerfish said:

Live is always better, having said that I have become so annoyed with people the last few years it is a close call.  I gave up my CFL season tickets a few years back because there was more phone looking morons and beer getting twits than real fans.

I also became a curmudgeon so that may be a factor.

When exactly did this transition happen?

I used to have season tickets, loved them. There is nothing like being in the stadium for a good game and feeling that energy...

But for the price of season tickets I can set up a dope home theatre, food is significantly less, weather won't play a factor, and every view is better. Plus it's nice to have the Jet game on one screen with Red zone on another.

If I want to watch a game it is better on TV.. You just can't beat the view  you get from the camera. Going to the game is all about atmosphere. Sometimes it's good and sometimes not so good.the Overtime win against the Pat's was amazing. The time the drunk fan behind past out and poured his beer down my back, not so much. 

Used to prefer live but now I prefer TV. Used to go to 8 for many years. I still to go to a couple of games per season. Sept or Oct though. The cold is a nightmare when they are getting slapped around.  At least TV gives the option to spit at it, hit the off switch and go do something else when it is 28-3 in the 1st Q.

28 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

If I want to watch a game it is better on TV.. You just can't beat the view  you get from the camera. Going to the game is all about atmosphere. Sometimes it's good and sometimes not so good.the Overtime win against the Pat's was amazing. The time the drunk fan behind past out and poured his beer down my back, not so much. 

The drunks are all gone haven't you heard the news. 

Archived