Reasons Williams is a good pick

thshadow

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I opened this thread to see if I can come around to the pick. Nope. Maybe by Sunday I'll come around to it. It's unbelievable how little cojones our GM has. This is why he drinks all that coffee. You know... he needs to take the average of all mock drafts. That takes a long time. 

21 minutes ago, nycdan said:

nfl.com said this in their live trackers:

Quinnen Williams DL, BAMA

Height: 6-3, Weight: 303

I love this pick. I could make a case for Josh Allen as the Jets needed more of a pure pass rusher, but this kid will be dominant. People in the league have compared him to Reggie White, let's slow down a bit on that, but this kid is a dominating player.

Reggie White was a defensive end so...SO FAR....Klecko, Jenkins, Donald and now a DE, Reggie White. This bears watching and comparison to reality. 

Just now, GreenFish said:

I opened this thread to see if I can come around to the pick. Nope. Maybe by Sunday I'll come around to it. It's unbelievable how little cojones our GM has. This is why he drinks all that coffee. You know... he needs to take the average of all mock drafts. That takes a long time. 

On draft day under Maccagnan, Jets would have been as well served by accessing  Todd McShay's or Mel Kiper's web musings instead of paying Coffee Boy and the Jets scouting staff. 

1 minute ago, rayzor said:

Everyone wanted us to trade down but we don't know if we actually had any decent offers.  We're not gonna give the 3rd pick away.  Williams, arguably the best player in the draft is a good safe pick.

Based on how Haskins hasn't been picked yet there probably was no great offer to move up.  Just our luck to want to trade down in a year where the quality of QB doesn't merit such a trade.  I mean, could you imagine the Giants trading up to get Daniel Jones?!

6 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Everyone wanted us to trade down but we don't know if we actually had any decent offers.  We're not gonna give the 3rd pick away.  Williams, arguably the best player in the draft is a good safe pick.

Exactly.  One of the few smart posts.  It’s eady to say “Macc screwed up”.  We have no idea.  From the looks of it nobody offered anything good enough to pass on a talent like Williams.  

8 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Exactly.  One of the few smart posts.  It’s eady to say “Macc screwed up”.  We have no idea.  From the looks of it nobody offered anything good enough to pass on a talent like Williams.  

Its not really that he screwed up, its that he has no plan.  

31 minutes ago, rayzor said:

When was the last draft where we didn’t get “the best pick in the draft”?

When will all those best picks teanslate to wins?

19 minutes ago, CTM said:

Was searching for a thread to say just this 

People being upset about this really should just realize that this is who Mac is. Choosing to keep him around was basically saying hey guys, expect more subpar drafting.

of course I wanted Oliver, but i had like a 2% expectation that we’d actually pick him because it would’ve involved prioritizing athleticism as an evaluation factor. 

At the same time, i like Q williams and think he’s going to be a very good player. He just has excellent technique, body control, and natural ability to read and react. Jets need good players who have the upside of being dominant and this is one of them. 

1 minute ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

People being upset about this really should just realize that this is who Mac is. Choosing to keep him around was basically saying hey guys, expect more subpar drafting.

of course I wanted Oliver, but i had like a 2% expectation that we’d actually pick him because it would’ve involved prioritizing athleticism as an evaluation factor. 

At the same time, i like Q williams and think he’s going to be a very good player. He just has excellent technique, body control, and natural ability to read and react. Jets need good players who have the upside of being dominant and this is one of them. 

What objective does he meet in a league where passing and pressuring the passer is paramount. I think there were better options. Also the guy just reminds me of an upgraded Leo down to the best player in the draft narrative. Sick of it

Williams is a good pick for following reasons

Fast

Strong

Play multiple spots

Helps our other good players do thier jobs by filling his role

Eats alot and give Leo company at the lunch table

Can help stop the Sony Michel, Drake, RB attack

Help g Williams do his job effectively

He is class act type of guy not a felon

He has no history of crazy Injuries

He actually had sack and performed at college

Played in progress style playbook before

Showed up when it mattered - no quit

Dude wore a damn green lined jacket go jets

Looked good with the green jersey

Make def alot scarier - seriouly he looks like a beast

Hello Mosley I like you to meet a guy who will eat up bodies

Hello Adams for some reason there is alot less bodies to avoid

Oh damn why does the other team keep throwing interceptions

Oh damn why does the other teams qtrback keep dropping the ball???

I mean how many reasons did you want?

5 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

This is pretty much it.  He goes for high floor again.  

12 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

This is pretty much it.  He goes for high floor again.  

Mayock and Gruden basically drafted who they thought was worth it at 4.  They were not following the media published draft boards/mock drafts.  They thought independently.  

Mac in 5 years has always taken the top person left from the magazine.   Then he starts getting fancy and it goes downhill-in the lower rounds he would be much better to pick Kipers BPA.  

Mac May think he will be judged by busted first round draft picks.  That keeps you employed for 2 years.  Then you look at your team’s record.  This team wins 5 games next year.  Even the Bills will beat them at least once.  

9 minutes ago, CTM said:

What objective does he meet in a league where passing and pressuring the passer is paramount. I think there were better options. Also the guy just reminds me of an upgraded Leo down to the best player in the draft narrative. Sick of it

I understand, this roster building has been a dumpster fire after all. This perpetuates it certainly, i just like the player quite a bit more than i did with Jamal Adams and Leo. 

I think my expectations are just lower than yours for this team. Until Mac is gone, we’re never going to be optimal in anything we do.  Our owner is too dumb, cheap, or blind to make this change and hire a competent person so i just assume we’re not really going to be a super bowl worthy team until many years down the road. 

26 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Every move Macc has made is in service of extending his career.  This fits that mold.

9 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

I think my expectations are just lower than yours for this team. 

Haha what!? Not possible. I expect stupidity and failure at every turn here, doesn't mean I cant critisize it when I yhi k it happening. 

Similiarly, If I buy a lottery ticket I dont expect to  win but I'm not going to celebrate losing.

8 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Maccagnan is what he is (safe) but Williams is a good player, coachable etc. I understand the rationale taking him over Oliver. He'll be at least good. He's also a better athlete than Leo.

He seems very likeable too.  Will be easy to root for, even if not who I wanted/think is the right pick.

I absolutely love this pick - Williams will make Leo and the rest of the DL even better - it takes a full compliment of very good players to make any unit you build successful. Look how the  Giants built there D - had Harry Carson , Gary Reasons, Carl Banks, Lawrence Taylor, Leonard Marshall.  You don't build a entity by using  an inane revolving door policy of good players ...keep what you have and build on it. When the Jets unloaded Snacks , they never did make up for the loss. They had to take Q - he was the best player at 3.

Archived