I love Chuma Edoga

RobR

10 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Look, I’m happy, but understand the hesitation due to the narrative out there.  Kids can mature into responsible young men, realize the great opportunity they’re given and work hard to correct past mistakes.  Chuma is very talented, and this is the best place he could have landed with Sam, Tay and Leo till he acclimated to his new role.

Chuma needs to prove himself, of course, but don’t blame me for being happy for a player that protected our QB!  There is always some comfort in familiarity.

He really did mature throughout his USC career.  I remember when he requested his transfer and many fans/students felt he quit on the team.  But he stuck it out, came back his senior year and showed a lot of growth and maturity.

No doubt he has the talent to be a contributor on the offensive line.  Hopefully he can lock down the right tackle and the Jets can draft a left tackle in the 1st round next year or see if he could move over.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

If he’s out of league then, it won’t be working for UPS.  Kid is smart, with ambitions after pro football.  

So there.

Linda, who is the least best USC Trojan? Be objective and tell me which of the 100 players on scholarship there will get drafted after the third round.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

PFF had him ranked 64th overall and the 9th best OT in the draft. 

If you follow PFF, you kind of get the sense the Jets are starting to become a more analytics based franchise. It also may explain why they couldn't pass up on Quinnen Williams at 3. 

PFF also loved Polite until the combine debacle. 

I also get the sense that Darnold may have had a role in this selection. Not that he has much influence, but you have to think the Jets spoke to Darnold about a player who protected him in college. 

Yes Im quite sure they got a good report from Darnold otherwise they wouldn't of drafted him. Just think - this Chuma Edoga kid is the highest O Lineman pick for Mac in his 5 years and maybe the Jets Highest O Lineman pick in about 10 years. About friggin Time!

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

PFF had him ranked 64th overall and the 9th best OT in the draft. 

If you follow PFF, you kind of get the sense the Jets are starting to become a more analytics based franchise. It also may explain why they couldn't pass up on Quinnen Williams at 3. 

PFF also loved Polite until the combine debacle. 

I also get the sense that Darnold may have had a role in this selection. Not that he has much influence, but you have to think the Jets spoke to Darnold about a player who protected him in college. 

You are correct. I read a few articles about how the Jets are investing in technology and analytics. Football is not as cut and dry as baseball which is really now just become a computer simulation, but there are definate merits to using statistics in talent evaluation.

One last note...USC had the same center/snap issues in 2017 the Jets had last year.  Our center and Chuma were the only experienced linemen on the team, the rest were true freshmen or RS freshman, coached by a relic that had played for Bear Bryant at Alabama. The 2016 team had five different Oline coaches.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I like this pick, it's not a fancy one and there were a couple of others that I wanted more (Hakeem Butler).  For tape, watch the Sam Darnold game vs Ohio State, because he's going up against Bosa at times and the stout Ohio State front.  I think he's taken out of the game somewhere in the 4th, but he really does hold up well against a good rush.  The only real problem I saw involved stunts, but other than that, he looked good.   He also stood out at the Senior Bowl, and PFF ranks him very high in pass blocking.  

For a position of need, it's a good pick.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

5 minutes ago, win4ever said:

I like this pick, it's not a fancy one and there were a couple of others that I wanted more (Hakeem Butler).  For tape, watch the Sam Darnold game vs Ohio State, because he's going up against Bosa at times and the stout Ohio State front.  I think he's taken out of the game somewhere in the 4th, but he really does hold up well against a good rush.  The only real problem I saw involved stunts, but other than that, he looked good.   He also stood out at the Senior Bowl, and PFF ranks him very high in pass blocking.  

For a position of need, it's a good pick.

Butler is still available. Hopefully hes still there when we pick. I Would love to snatch this kid up. He would be a steal in the fourth 

2 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Butler is still available. Hopefully hes still there when we pick. I Would love to snatch this kid up. He would be a steal in the fourth 

I would love to pick up a WR here.  Give me Butler or Hall and I'm thrilled.  They need a CB as well, but the value of adding a Butler/Hall type receiver to the WR is just too much to pass up.  

Of course, we'll pick someone I've never heard of, lol. 

• Upvote 1

Once again, too many here being way to harsh in this string. Not only does Darnold likely know the guy, and in all probability endorsed him, the write-up on the guy are solid. Recall, we are talking third round. Here are some solid write-ups:

https://247sports.com/college/usc/Article/Chuma-Edoga-NFL-draft-USC-football-mock-draft--131513561/

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/chuma-edoga

• Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, RobR said:

I think he replaces Shell for a year since this is Shells last year under contract. Next year he moves to LT. Guy was an absolute beast in the SB this year and he played strictly LT.

theres talks about the team wanting to move on from winters..  

Chuma can man RT this year possibly which may kick shell down to RG there was some talks about doing that a year ago had they found a RT.  just some things ive heard

8 hours ago, kdels62 said:

I think he makes Winters expendable this year and we trade Winters for a late pick before the season. Edoga starts at RG this year and LT next year.

I don’t know about that

Winters has been ok.  Nothing wrong with depth and Odoga will play multiple positions 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

My thought exactly. 

All the while figuring they’ll trade back today and get more picks anyway.  

Getting the tackle last night changed the draft.  They really got guys who could contribute right away and also be long term starters.  All told this is probably mccagnan’s best draft so far in terms of finding value and not burning picks.  He made up for not having a 2nd round pick b/c both of the guys he took yesterday are 2nd round talents.  

I do believe today’s priority is cb though.  

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

Love this pick. I expect he’d be a long term RT starter, which is still very important. No one should be disappointed if he doesn’t become a LT. He can be a good starting RT.

With a QB like Sam, RT is just as important...scrambling to his right, to his left and all the off script stuff, Chuma knows his guy.  Very well.  ?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Also, he was a ridiculously efficient pass blocker in college. Hard to be mad with this one. 

Except half the board who hates the pick.

I think he was drafted a little high....probably could have had him with our pick at top of 4.  That said, perhaps we should wait until he suits up to call him a bust....wink wink half the board!

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

All the while figuring they’ll trade back today and get more picks anyway.  

Getting the tackle last night changed the draft.  They really got guys who could contribute right away and also be long term starters.  All told this is probably mccagnan’s best draft so far in terms of finding value and not burning picks.  He made up for not having a 2nd round pick b/c both of the guys he took yesterday are 2nd round talents.  

I do believe today’s priority is cb though.  

I’d like WR or another OLineman. 

9 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Kick off Round 4 with Micheal Jordan, and the Jets have a starting Center too.

Apparently Jordan said he intended on moving back to guard. Don't know how much of a say he has if he gets drafted and coach says you're with the centers.

Michael Jordan is an interesting prospect as we move towards the NFL Draft. After playing center during his final season in Columbus, ESPN’s Mel Kiper, Jr. has him ranked as the third best prospect at the position. However, before he declared for the draft, Jordan indicated that he intended to move back to his natural position of guard in 2019, whether it was in the NFL or at Ohio State.

https://www.landgrantholyland.com/2019/3/1/18245780/ohio-state-offensive-line-michael-jordan-2019-nfl-combine