[Mehta] Exclusive Look Inside the Jets Mess: A secret meeting, a reckless owner and a GM stabbed in the back

1 hour ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

It was obvious the Jets clearly had interest in Jim Harbaugh that immediately nose-dived as soon as it was clear he wasn't leaving Michigan. Though it's hard to sift through a Mehta article because he imbues it with his own awful opinions that he is trying to pass off as fact.

I don't believe the Kingsbury take, I don't think he was ever a real HC candidate for them and they just wanted him as an OC for one of the other candidates they actually did want but that's just guessing on my part.

That's how I remember some reporting at the time. Kingsbury is way out of the box as a young coach with no NFL coaching experience, a guy who was in the process of moving backwards from college head coach to college offensive coordinator before the Cards went all in on him. I thought he was the guy (not Gase) the Jets wanted Rhule to place on his staff as OC if he took the job. Or maybe even under Gase. 

58 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Gase was HC choice #4 or #5, at best. 

Yeah? I count only Rhule and Harbaugh ahead of him, but Harbaugh was never actually a real candidate and they only wanted Rhule on their own terms - dictating who his coordinators would be. 

• Upvote 1

The Johnsons and their organizational structure is really pooh.

But objectively by every metric-1. Maccagnan was bad at his job. 2. Bowles was arguably even worse at his job. it is part of running any business to seek out alternatives to improve your operation.Should Chris Johnson ask said shiity employees if it okay to talk to their potential replacements? 

"Stabbed in the back"; both Bowles and Maccagnan are right now being paid. And they knew the day they took the job there was a chance they could get fired. There are not many(any?) people who retire after 25 years and a gold watch as an NFL GM or coach. Such positions are not given to long term service. There's Ozzy Newsome, Bellichick and....that's about it. 

Once again Mehta writes incoherent gibberish. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, KRL said:

Whatever!!!  If Mehta truly had "inside info" he wouldn't have called out Pauline and said
his report was 200% false.
 If Johnson made some behind the scenes calls to prospective 
candidates good for him, he's the owner.  That type of stuff happens everyday in all types
of businesses not just sports

Bingo.  This pretty much confirms that Heimerdinger was Mehta's source.  How?  Because I believe dinger thought if Macc was ever getting fired he would know about it and would likely be the guy who got elevated.  When dinger was telling Mehta that there's "nothing to see here" and things are stable it's because dinger didn't see the hatchet that was coming at him from behind.  If your source is the guy about to get whacked then he's like not a very good source about whether people are about to get whacked. lol

• Post of the Week 1

Haha CJ is a "back-stabber" because he looked into replacing the league's worst HC & GM?

Bowles had 4 years here.  He got his fair chance.  He went 24-40 & couldn't get his team to show up for the biggest game they ever played for him.  Same goes for Mac, he had plenty of time and resources to build a solid team, and failed.

Its CJ's duty to find the best people to help this organization win.  It's not backstabbing, it's business.  Manish is an idiot.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

This is such an irrelevant article.  Can’t help but think heimer is taking parting shots here.

Na, sounds like Metha is just pissed that he made that "200% certain" comment and now he's looked like a fool for doing so. 

Now he seems to be getting all of this "inside info" 5+ months after the fact when everything has gone down and it's currently irrelevant. 

We're moving on with Gase. Even folks like myself who didnt even want Gase to be interviewed, let alone hired, have already accepted the fact that the Jets made a Jetsy move. 

Metha is just pissed. 

• Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the vegas over under on wins is currently 7

the wildcard requires 9 or 10 wins 

at some point before the season starts,

go to atlantic city and put your money where your mouth is 

May not be a bad bet. On https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ they have an interesting stat among the team stats for every season called, "expected w-l." Every year at the helm of the fish, Gase beat the expected w-l record, going 10-6 with a WC berth his first year there when the team was predicted to be under .500. He was nearly two games over the expectations last year, then got fired. As Jet fans, this should be fresh in our memories. Seems like every season we have the usual suspects predicting the sweeping of the fish, only to wind up going 1-5 against Gase the last three years. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, mphtrilogy said:

Student Rate is $29, might get one and share with my kids...

Yep...I just checked.  The regular subscription rate is only $59.99.

I was getting it confused with another website I subscribe too.........?

13 minutes ago, slats said:

May not be a bad bet.  

as someone who has bet the season over and lost 2 years running I so desperately want to believe they beat the number this year - those guys aren't casuals. they go game by game and put it through the computers, with all the historical trends etc

they always find the perfect sucker number 

I don't think the Jets have beaten that number since like the grass tray playoff game 

30 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Oh no, we didn't get Coach Kliff and his Tumbleweed Tech assistants, or Matt Rhule and his fiery evangelism.... we got the guy who was Sean McVay (who the heck spells McVeigh that way?? Lol) BEFORE McVay was a thing...lol. 

No one outside of Jets Fan Nation thinks Gase = McVey.  

All kidding aside, I wanted McCarthy at the time. I advocated why here, and was not pleased they passed him up. But I think we dodged a huge bullet with him... lots of chatter about him since the season from lots of various sources, not much of it positive.

So we should believe the "chatter" about McCarthy, but not about Gase?

Think about it this way....for ANY long term, successful head coach.... it takes years to fully implement a system and culture, build a roster, develop players, foster relationships, and all of that stuff. Imagine doing all of that work somewhere for over a decade, and then go to a new place and face having to do all of that groundwork AGAIN. Thats the reason no Head Coach has ever won a SB in more than one place. Its hard to sustain that energy for so long, especially after being successful for a long duration. Its why Parcells is such a singularity. Its like he enjoyed the building more than the end result.

Fair and solid argument, actually.

But anyway, yes, in my opinion the Jets caught a break getting a young, energetic, experienced HC from the offensive side of the room to pair with a young QB, tbqh.

Glad we got an Offensive Coach, I agree.  Not glad it's Gase, whose resume, especially as a Head Coach, IMO doesn't warrant the total control of the organization and roster he now appears to have, and the Gase-hired lackey GM he's going to hire shortly.

Get on the Gase train, man! Its gonna be wacky but fun, and maybe explosive (in a GOOD way).

No thanks.  My appreciation and support is earned, not just given.

If Gase is everything the JN contingent has been saying, he'll have more than earned support.

If he is what he was in Miami, that's not remotely good enough.

We'll see.

• Upvote 2

I never read the DN. It’s a piece of crap paper. NYPost is the only paper I read. Never liked Manish. It’s apparent his inside information was leaked to him from Mac. Sour grapes from one of the worst beat writers who sh*ts on the Jets every chance he gets. Garbage article. **** Manish. 

43 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the vegas over under on wins is currently 7

the wildcard requires 9 or 10 wins 

at some point before the season starts,

go to atlantic city and put your money where your mouth is 

I intend to.  

That line is still at 7?

This was an 8 win team last year for all intents and purposes.  Not saying I know more than the billions in computers in Vegas who make up that number, but I just have a good feeling that without the worst HC I’ve ever seen, a running game supporting Darnold (who might have come close to 4,000 yards playing a full season, almost by himself) and Gregg Williams replacing the worst DC I’ve ever seen, 10 wins is definitely not out of the question.

1 minute ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Lets take a trip, Andy! All the way back to the year 2015!!

i.e. before three full years of actual experience seeing him as a Head Coach?

Think some opinions may have changed since then, after three bottom 10 Offenses?

Report: Jets' Christopher Johnson Had Kliff Kingsbury Talks, Left GM in the Dark

TIM DANIELSMAY 30, 2019

New York Jets owner Christopher Johnson poses for photographers on the green carpet ahead of an event unveiling the team's new NFL football uniforms, Thursday, April 4, 2019, in New York. (AP Photo/Julio Cortez)
Julio Cortez/Associated Press

New York Jets Chairman Christopher Johnson reportedly held "back-channel conversations" with at least two established coaching candidates during the 2018 NFL season while head coach Todd Bowles was still in place, and he did so without informing general manager Mike Maccagnan.

On Thursday, Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reported Johnson's "stealth, reckless actions," including an unsuccessful pursuit of now-Arizona Cardinals head coach Kliff Kingsbury, have "prompted decision-makers across the NFL to question the leadership of this star-crossed outfit."

The Jets ultimately hired Adam Gase in January to replace Bowles, who was fired in late December. Gase took on the role of interim GM after Maccagnan was let go May 15.

Mehta reported Johnson "used a confidant as an intermediary late in the season to touch base with the camps of at least two established head coaches" and did so while he "strategically kept Maccagnan in the dark."

The reasoning for the secrecy was the Jets chairman informing potential candidates they would have total control in deciding whether they would keep or fire the team's general manager, per Mehta.

Shockingly, New York decided to keep Maccagnan and allowed him to lead the decision-making process on all the key offseason decisions—signing star running back Le'Veon Bell in March and running the draft in April—before making the move to fire him.

ew York Jets 2019 Draft Class
Ultimately, the Jets seem like a team in turmoil as they continue to seek a new general manager, and that could be impacting their search.

Connor Hughes and Chad Graff of The Athletic reported Thursday that Minnesota Vikings assistant GM George Paton turned down a chance to interview with New York about its vacancy.

Other candidates for the job include Philadelphia Eagles vice president of player personnel Joe Douglas, Chicago Bears assistant vice president of player personnel Champ Kelly, Seattle Seahawks co-director of player personnel Scott Fitterer and New Orleans Saints director of pro scouting Terry Fontenot.

•  
  •  
  •  

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Na, sounds like Metha is just pissed that he made that "200% certain" comment and now he's looked like a fool for doing so. 

Now he seems to be getting all of this "inside info" 5+ months after the fact when everything has gone down and it's currently irrelevant. 

We're moving on with Gase. Even folks like myself who didnt even want Gase to be interviewed, let alone hired, have already accepted the fact that the Jets made a Jetsy move. 

Metha is just pissed. 

And he lost his contact that he thought would move up after Mac was fired... and now that Dinger is gone he has burned so many bridges that he is trying to create more controversy to get more contacts to leak to him. 

4 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Exactly.  Mehta has zero credibility going forward after making that call “200% False”.

If anything the Johnson’s should be castigated for being “too nice”, not for being accused as being cut-throat for finally, finally, FINALLY (I could go on) bringing to an end the very unfortunate employment of 2 very incompetent men who should have never been hired in the first place.  The saddest part was how quickly their incompetence became evident and how long the fan base was subjected to it.  The Johnson’s will have paid both of them for 6 YEARS when they both deserved no more than 1. These are 2 Lottery ticket winners.

What the hell is this article trying to say?  That the Jets should have been forced to keep Bowles even longer?

Look at his body of “work”.  About 25 years in coaching, at least 95% of it as a lowly assistant on MULTIPLE teams.  Why didn’t all these teams he worked for see the potential “greatness”?

But one thing I’m quite sure of.  Bowles has some serious juice with the muckety mucks of the NFL. He’s protected.  No one even wants to ever criticize the guy.  That’s off limits.

The only reason he has been hired for 2 DC jobs is because his close friend Arians hires him.  The guy has no ability to plan, to strategize, to make adjustments, to “think on his feet”...the exact same “attributes” as that moron Maccagnan.

has he admitted he was wrong on the 200% false statement?

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

Bingo. This schrager dude is concerning. Who is he and why he is shadow-running this team?  

and side note even if we sift through all the garbage and back biting in the article, and once we're all done shooting the messenger, it could be the KK interest and Harbaugh interest turned out to be real. 

for those saying the article made CJ look better it's slightly troubling that 1) they loved KK so much and 2) they couldn't close the candidate they wanted, despite knowing Bowles was toast for a month. and then having a week to look at candidates after Black Monday.

CJ looks Indecisive at best in this article 

at worst the conclusion is correct a GM has to wonder what buzzsaw he's walking into 

those Jets fans who refuse to see this job as anything but awesome aren't thinking like people with other options. Like Harbaugh and KK 

our last 2 GMs got paid for a long time by the Jets for crappy performance.  getting 4 years to turn around a team and then a 2 year severance is pretty darn good.

2 hours ago, Bugg said:

The Johnsons and their organizational structure is really pooh.

But objectively by every metric-1. Maccagnan was bad at his job. 2. Bowles was arguably even worse at his job. it is part of running any business to seek out alternatives to improve your operation.Should Chris Johnson ask said shiity employees if it okay to talk to their potential replacements? 

"Stabbed in the back"; both Bowles and Maccagnan are right now being paid. And they knew the day they took the job there was a chance they could get fired. There are not many(any?) people who retire after 25 years and a gold watch as an NFL GM or coach. Such positions are not given to long term service. There's Ozzy Newsome, Bellichick and....that's about it. 

Once again Mehta writes incoherent gibberish. 

Great post +1

Mehta does realize that the GM & HC he's "fighting" for were 24-40 over their terms?
True dysfunction would've been to ignore those facts and not try to improve the organization
at any cost

Right. He literally lost a friend and someone who gave him the scoop. That sucks to lose for manish.

The problem is now other news agencies are picking up the story. I just saw a bleacher report about the jets bring a team in turmoil.
I think manish would like nothing more than for Gase to fall flat on his face and for the jets to suck for the next 3-4 years. Just for vindication.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

3 hours ago, slats said:

May not be a bad bet. On https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ they have an interesting stat among the team stats for every season called, "expected w-l." Every year at the helm of the fish, Gase beat the expected w-l record, going 10-6 with a WC berth his first year there when the team was predicted to be under .500. He was nearly two games over the expectations last year, then got fired. As Jet fans, this should be fresh in our memories. Seems like every season we have the usual suspects predicting the sweeping of the fish, only to wind up going 1-5 against Gase the last three years. 

That's the pythagorean record and it means exactly the opposite of what you seem to think it means.

Nah he was likely third behind Kingsbury and Ruhle. They did not want McCarthy and Monken was long shot

Makes you wonder if the speculation regarding the coaching search was true considering this story...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

27 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

That's the pythagorean record and it means exactly the opposite of what you seem to think it means.

Actually, I'm pretty sure I've got it right. It seems pretty straight forward. 

On the site, in 2016, their expected w/l record was 7.6-8.4. They finished 10-6. If that's not finishing better than their projected totals -if, in fact, it's doing worse- I'd appreciate it if you could explain that to me. Thanks. 

• Upvote 1