Who was worse at their job?

jgb

Who is most to blame?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Sound off

Just now, ASH1962 said:

What was Bowles good at? Nothing as well. Mac made the ballsy trade to get us Sam. Bowles wouldn't know balls from boobs lol. I have never seen a head coach as afraid of everything as he was in 40 years of watching NFL football. 

Mac had some really bad misses but a few hits. 

Bowles should never have been an NFL head coach. 

1 hour ago, ASH1962 said:

What was Bowles good at? Nothing as well. Mac made the ballsy trade to get us Sam. Bowles wouldn't know balls from boobs lol. I have never seen a head coach as afraid of everything as he was in 40 years of watching NFL football. 

Can’t argue with that but MAC May be the worst GM I have ever seen. worse than Idzik. 

6 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Bowles was a complete disaster BUT no coach could win with that talent. 

He had no real players....  MAC was good at basically nothing.

Maybe finding scrubs off waivers. BUT he overpaid so many vets , couldn’t draft a pig in farm and acted like he was a brain child.

MAC should go work in a CPA firm doing tax returns. 

Funny that everyone seems to think the Jets are primed for a big turn around this year.  Is that the two shiny new TE's Douglas just brought in that's inspiring such optimism these days? 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Bowles got a job within 9 days of being fired.  Macc remains unemployed.  That should tell you something.

I’m not so sure. 

Bowles is a good and well known coordinator. 

He sucked as a HC. 

Mac maybe shouldn’t have been a GM, maybe sucked at it but he was a relatively unknown. 

His not getting a job just means he hasn’t hit the retread mill yet.

He’ll eventually end up on a staff and keep rolling along. 

Bowles is a retread and will continue to get employed just like the dozens of old boy network sucky coordinators who keep getting jobs. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, carlito1171 said:

I don’t really see the need to keep bringing up this debate...especially since they are BOTH gone now...

Bowles was terrible at a lot of things as HC but who the hell was suppose to win with that Roster Mac assembled( or lack there of) ?

“There is no need to continue this debate... but here is my two cents.” ? 

• Haha 1

They were both bad. I think if I had to pick I'd say Mac was worse -- I could see Bowles, if given another HC opportunity, succeeding with more talent. I don't see him as a big value add guy but I think he's a steady Eddie who is generally respected by the players. Put him on a good team with a strong culture and he can keep things moving.

With Mac I don't really see anything he did well. He drafted poorly, he didn't seem to have any ideas on how to build a roster, he didn't seem to foster any leadership or culture or identity. Other than being Charlie Casserly's mentee it's not clear he was ever qualified to be a GM at all.

After four years of watching, I can say with almost complete confidence that Bowles was the least effective HC in the NFL.  There was no single aspect of the game he showed any talent for, and was unable to compensate with good assistants.  Utter failure.

Macc was certainly bottom-5 but before you can say he was the worst, you have to take a hard look at Gettleman.  Even drafting Hack in the 2nd round doesn't compare to skipping over Darnold for Barkley with the #2 pick in the draft.  That (hopefully) could go down as a Sam Bowie pick in a few years.  Barkley will be better than Bowie, but still...

Thus, I voted for Bowles as the worst of the two. 

14 hours ago, carlito1171 said:

I don’t really see the need to keep bringing up this debate...especially since they are BOTH gone now...

Bowles was terrible at a lot of things as HC but who the hell was suppose to win with that Roster Mac assembled( or lack there of) ?

Let’s hope Gase can win with the roster Macc put together.

18 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

People also forget Mac was also a dope in making every attempt possible to pay over $100mm to a QB with no playoff wins.  He only made the trade after he was used to make the Vikings pay more...

It amazes me this isstill brought up.

Cousins was never coming to the Jets but if Mac didn't  at least try there would be outcry he was derelict in his duties. 

What ever made anyone think a QB as old as Cousins was going to sign with a rebuilding franchise is beyond me. 

I can't  believe someone even made this thread. It is an embarrassment  that our  two top positions were manned by such amateurs.  

As far as who was worse, it's not even a contest. Bowles in a landslide. To me I can't  believe he survived not getting fired during his press conference of the Cleveland game when he said he made no adjustments to the game plan after Baker came in. Who makes no adjustments to compensate for a QB change. It should have been a TMZ moment with CJ being tackled rushing the podium and screaming you're fired while being dragged away by security.  

Mac got is a franchise QB and that alone elevates him head and shoulders above Bowles but I will say, that isn't any kind of accomplishment.  

• Sympathy 1

13 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Mac maybe shouldn’t have been a GM, maybe sucked at it but he was a relatively unknown. 

His not getting a job just means he hasn’t hit the retread mill yet.

He’ll eventually end up on a staff and keep rolling along.

We'll see.  The Texans fired their GM after just 1 season and he almost immediately snagged a lucrative job with the Bills.

If Macc doesn't want to jump back in right away that makes sense.  He'll never be done counting the money he stole from this organization. 

Either way, he was FAR worse than Todd Bowles at his job, even as terrible as Bowles was.  It's easy to see the in-game decision making and determine that a coach is terrible.  It's harder to see the big picture stuff and realize just how little talent Macc provided, especially at premium positions.  5 offseasons and we have terrible corners, no OL pipeline, questionable pass rush and 1 free agency class that was really an attempt to put lipstick on a pig.  That's Macc's legacy, and its terrible.  He had high draft picks to work with and lots of money to spend, and couldn't build anything of significance. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

It amazes me this isstill brought up.

Cousins was never coming to the Jets but if Mac didn't  at least try there would be outcry he was derelict in his duties. 

What ever made anyone think a QB as old as Cousins was going to sign with a rebuilding franchise is beyond me. 

They offered more money than the Vikings, so its reasonable to think Macc felt the Jets were in the sweepstakes and that he actually wanted him. 

In the end, it doesn't matter what Cousins ultimately decided.  It just further shows that Macc's thought process at the QB position was terrible throughout his tenure here.  His first plan was Ryan Fitzpatrick (not just as a stopgap, as evidenced by him re-signing him in Year 2).  His 2nd plan was Christian Hackenberg.  His 3rd plan was Kirk Cousins.  His 4th plan was taking whichever QB that fell to him at the 3rd pick (after Heimerdinger masterminded the trade up), which could easily have been Josh Allen if not for Gettleman's incompetence.  He deserves absolutely zero credit for Sam Darnold being the end result of all of that incompetence. 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, TeddEY said:

Bowles got a job within 9 days of being fired.  Macc remains unemployed.  That should tell you something.

However, Bowles did not get a HC job again, but a job with his former boss at his previous position.

Both were ultimately terrible in their positions with this team.

21 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Not entirely fair because he’s got Year Two Darnold. Bowles wasn’t good, but literally no coach could have done anything with the talent on the roster. The caveat is that we don’t know how much input Bowles had into putting that roster together 

Not surprising that you're already putting out preemptive strikes.  At least you seem to know that you're about to be exposed as the maniac who has mistakenly been railing away at Macc for the last 4 years.

Bowles was as bad as any coach the Jets have ever had.  Macc wasn't great but supplied enough to field competitive teams.  This year his plan will come to fruition even though he won't be around to enjoy it.

9 minutes ago, Pac said:

Not surprising that you're already putting out preemptive strikes.  At least you seem to know that you're about to be exposed as the maniac who has mistakenly been railing away at Macc for the last 4 years.

Bowles was as bad as any coach the Jets have ever had.  Macc wasn't great but supplied enough to field competitive teams.  This year his plan will come to fruition even though he won't be around to enjoy it.

captainjet.gif.61a2dd1d3732d541d4271f58d00fc9b9.gif