Tough Loss, but remember

JetsFanatic

Most pundits picked the Jets to lose today.  They actually should have won, and would have won if Mosley did not get hurt, despite all of their failings.

Week 1 is too early to really know where this team is heading.  I don’t think it is a good place though, but I would give it time.   To me, football games are mostly won in the off season, and Mac managed to ruin the last few of those.  No matter what Gase, Darnold or Douglas does, this team has too many problems to be very good this season.  

It's another Year One, Game One. New Offense. New OC. New Center. So, not really a tough loss at all. 

But the lack of explosive plays was not shocking because, Enunwa is not a burner and the OL was pressured up the middle where a QB would normally be able to step into his throws.

It was a tough test the OL failed. But, hey, they have another test next week.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Agree, but the concerns about darnold are valid.  He looked the same he did the first half of last season.

Dumped everything down, inaccurate downfield, starting down one reciever.

He should have progredded beyond that by now.

People annointed Darnold as the chosen one way too early. He showed flashes of brilliance in his first year but, so did Browning Nagle. I personally think that he has progressed very little if at all. 

24 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

...if you judge the team after just the first game, last year you would have thought we were going to the Super Bowl after the Lions game. It takes a few weeks to shake things out..

I too thought this earlier today. Great post.

Sure, but all the signs have pointed to them being bad, but somehow:

Losing Coach with history of poor offenses + Defensive Coordinator with low ranked defenses the last several years + Bad Roster = Winning!

Mostly which seemed to be based on Darnold being a magical unicorn who sh*ts rainbows...

37 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Agree, but the concerns about darnold are valid.  He looked the same he did the first half of last season.

And you can tell he stared down one receiver how? Were you on the field and able to see his eyes? I call total BS

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Sure, but all the signs have pointed to them being bad, but somehow:

Losing Coach with history of poor offenses + Defensive Coordinator with low ranked defenses the last several years + Bad Roster = Winning!

Mostly which seemed to be based on Darnold being a magical unicorn who sh*ts rainbows...

You are a football genius. We are truly privileged to have you here.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ken Shroy said:

You are a football genius. We are truly privileged to have you here.

We get it. You don't like facts. 

Please, go ahead and point out where Gregg Williams has been successful in the last several years since his suspension?

Ditto for Gase without Manning.

We'll all wait because you're a football genius and going to enlighten us all. 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

...if you judge the team after just the first game, last year you would have thought we were going to the Super Bowl after the Lions game. It takes a few weeks to shake things out..

Last year 48-17 week 1 on the road. 4-12 record

2014 week 1 win. 4-12 record

2012 wee1 48-24 week 1 win over Buffalo. O under Sparano looks great. 6-10 record with putrid offense.

2011 open 2-0 . Crap the bed late in season to finish 8-8

2010- lose opener to Baltimore . Finish 11-5 and lose AFC title game

2001 lose week 1 at home vs Colts 45-24. Finish 10-6 and in playoffs 

1998 start 0-2 and 2-3. Finish 12-4 and lose AFC title game.

1985 lose week 1 31-0.  Finish 11-5 and in playoffs 

1981 start 0-3. Finish 10-5-1 in playoffs 

Let the season play out. I think this is a 6-8 win team at best, loss today was brutal, roster has many holes, but it’s one week. The NFL preseason is ridiculous now. The team had little to no preparation except against themselves. 

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

This is not true.  He’s not making bone headed mistakes like he did last year.  He’s just not making the plays that you need from a top QB to win a game.  He still has a way to go in developing.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BallinPB said:

This is not true.  He’s not making bone headed mistakes like he did last year.  He’s just not making the plays that you need from a top QB to win a game.  He still has a way to go in developing.  

Agreed. He completed for high percentage and avoided turnovers which would have occurred last year. 

Also, made couple of terrific plays on the TD drive that show it's there. 

He just wasnt helped by his line or the playcalling today - and I think also will learn alot from this game.

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Agreed but this was a SOJ gem and way to reminiscent of what we thought we got rid of. 

I don't think anyone comes into this season thinking we have starting Calibre cbs or an oline that even know each other. 

Those are legacies of the past regime still...

12 minutes ago, jgb said:

Always a fan but a whole lot more realistic than I was at 20 years old. 6-7 win team. Sticking with my pre-season prediction.

I like your optimism, after this meltdown, I don’t see how they Win any of the early season games?

If they are 0-6, their confidence will be shot, and players will give up. It’s going to be a sh*t show. The brutal early schedule combined with this no show equals Drafting top 3. 

5 Wins absolute max.

Just woke up this morning feeling like garbage about it, was so pumped for this season, genuinely thought 2nd year Darnold, Gase and the pieces we added would give this team something else, an new positive mind set. But no, same old crap.

As soon as Henry Anderson committed that roughing penalty, I knew we'd blow it. It amazes me that this team is so fragile that any shift in momentum leads to a complete collapse.