What are the Jets' Standards?

JetsLife

In places like our next opponent - one bad play is a failure. Read the recent online Men's Health mag profile of Tom Brady - this man grinds as hard as any other human being I've ever heard of in any discipline. Because his standard is being the last one standing. 

That's my standard, too. I think it's the desire of most of us in here and the Jets. But are they doing the things to get them there? Is their head coach/offensive coordinator?

I get it: even I am semi considering giving Gase a pass due to Maccagnan's ineptitude. Then again, I am not.

Each game is upwards of 6% of the season and represents an enormous swing win or lose. 6% = 10 losses in a baseball season and by definition 10 losses in a row. Does anyone think that isn't a huge swing in a baseball season? Does anyone think this incessant 3 & out machine this Jets offense is, scoring 11 points total over 8 quarters - is anywhere near any kind of standard? Other than the standard of being one of the most futile scoring offenses in modern NFL history through two games?

If my negativity rubs some the wrong way, so be it. I like to win and win now - as Parcells did with us in '97 after Kotite's 4-28. A former boss of mine who as a very young man was a huge business success through sheer willpower, hard work, and brain power man once remonstrated to me when I asked about stock options in his company: "I like to focus on results." Meaning: perform, and then we'll see.

Results say it all. The second in life you start making excuses is the second you are BS'ing yourself. 

Our next opponent doesn't abide excuses - does Gase? Publicly and outwardly sure he doesn't. But his results don't match up to his mouth and they haven't for more than 2 years now. In the NFL that's a lifetime. 

I hope Gase proves me wrong, I really do. I'll happily admit to being the first one wrong if so. But as another successful person aka as my father once told me: one of the biggest mistakes he made in business is holding on to a losing strategy well after its expiration date. Gase's expiration date is nearing for me - for that week 1 offensive fiasco alone. 

*Remember: Gase walked in to this job with everything to prove and nothing proven as a HC.* He'd been a recent failure offensively with everything to prove. Thus far he has proven nothing to me on that side of the ball.

We have been a team of excuses and low standards mostly since sometime in the mid-'70s. Parcells reinstituted them, and we made significant progress. Then, he was gone, and we regressed continually. Where are we now? Currently, we are as low in the standards department as I can remember ... on a par with the nightmare that was the Kotite years. Gase has not and will not hold anyone responsible ... it seems that only Williams has the cojones to impose consequences for player actions or inactions. Good for him! Unfortunately, he's not the HC, so his jurisdiction is limited to the defense. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

43 minutes ago, Joe Willie said:

We have been a team of excuses and low standards mostly since sometime in the mid-'70s. Parcells reinstituted them, and we made significant progress. Then, he was gone, and we regressed continually. Where are we now? Currently, we are as low in the standards department as I can remember ... on a par with the nightmare that was the Kotite years. Gase has not and will not hold anyone responsible ... it seems that only Williams has the cojones to impose consequences for player actions or inactions. Good for him! Unfortunately, he's not the HC, so his jurisdiction is limited to the defense. 

Gase did bench Kalil and that is on O. And Gase has stated that both Kalil and Johnson on D have not played well and that is why they were benched. Sounds to me like Gase is holding players responsible/accountable.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, JetsLife said:

In places like our next opponent - one bad play is a failure. Read the recent online Men's Health mag profile of Tom Brady - this man grinds as hard as any other human being I've ever heard of in any discipline. Because his standard is being the last one standing. 

That's my standard, too. I think it's the desire of most of us in here and the Jets. But are they doing the things to get them there? Is their head coach/offensive coordinator?

I get it: even I am semi considering giving Gase a pass due to Maccagnan's ineptitude. Then again, I am not.

Each game is upwards of 6% of the season and represents an enormous swing win or lose. 6% = 10 losses in a baseball season and by definition 10 losses in a row. Does anyone think that isn't a huge swing in a baseball season? Does anyone think this incessant 3 & out machine this Jets offense is, scoring 11 points total over 8 quarters - is anywhere near any kind of standard? Other than the standard of being one of the most futile scoring offenses in modern NFL history through two games?

If my negativity rubs some the wrong way, so be it. I like to win and win now - as Parcells did with us in '97 after Kotite's 4-28. A former boss of mine who as a very young man was a huge business success through sheer willpower, hard work, and brain power man once remonstrated to me when I asked about stock options in his company: "I like to focus on results." Meaning: perform, and then we'll see.

Results say it all. The second in life you start making excuses is the second you are BS'ing yourself. 

Our next opponent doesn't abide excuses - does Gase? Publicly and outwardly sure he doesn't. But his results don't match up to his mouth and they haven't for more than 2 years now. In the NFL that's a lifetime. 

I hope Gase proves me wrong, I really do. I'll happily admit to being the first one wrong if so. But as another successful person aka as my father once told me: one of the biggest mistakes he made in business is holding on to a losing strategy well after its expiration date. Gase's expiration date is nearing for me - for that week 1 offensive fiasco alone. 

*Remember: Gase walked in to this job with everything to prove and nothing proven as a HC.* He'd been a recent failure offensively with everything to prove. Thus far he has proven nothing to me on that side of the ball.

It's a culture. Trip Tomlin is considered successful, yet he condoned and encouraged a culture that bred AB, ME'Veon, and Big Boob WorthlessTurdBurglar. Turned the Steelers into a laughingstock. 

BB made Cleveland, of all teams, respectful.

Gase? Seriously?

• Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, Tiffany980 said:

It's a culture. Trip Tomlin is considered successful, yet he condoned and encouraged a culture that bred AB, ME'Veon, and Big Boob WorthlessTurdBurglar. Turned the Steelers into a laughingstock. [/quote]

???  Leveon's gained over 200 yards for the two games this season.  What are you talking about?

BB made Cleveland, of all teams, respectful.

Belichick stunk the place out in Cleveland.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, JetsLife said:

awesome post.  thank you for sharing.  balanced, reasonable.  I feel the same way as you do.

12 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Too much plot. 

Can someone summarize?

PF - I've noticed that all you do is make snarky remarks when someone tries to start an interesting dialogue.

It's a free country and you can do and say what you please.  But I find your contribution to be annoying as can be and wish you'd even try to add some value.

Read the post.  It doesn't take long...and is actually a great thought.

Or go away...that would work for me too.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2

1 hour ago, WowOhWow said:

PF - I've noticed that all you do is make snarky remarks when someone tries to start an interesting dialogue.

It's a free country and you can do and say what you please.  But I find your contribution to be annoying as can be and wish you'd even try to add some value.

Read the post.  It doesn't take long...and is actually a great thought.

Or go away...that would work for me too.

You’re a troll, I don’t really care what “would work for” you.

Quite frankly, the board would be better if you went away.