Darnold not cleared for contact

shuler82

13 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

given that SAM has blown this year for us with mono i would hope he takes a team friendly deal for his next contract :-)

Agreed, and he seems like a wholesome, honest person but so too did Jamal Adams and now he's deleted the Jets from social and he's gone radio-silent, he feels like he's the next big name to force his way out of town if it's a town he's not comfortable with.

The politics of pleasing rich athletes may be the tipping point to push me out of the sport.  If we waited 50 years for a franchise quarterback and he weasels his way out of town or pulls an Andrew Luck, I think that's going to do it for me, I'll just get Rangers or Yankees season tickets and move on.

SAR I

10 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

So now Sam Darnold is going to give is a hometown discount when he's due for a contract.

Max Contract quarterbacks don't win Super Bowls.  Has to happen on the rookie deal.  2019 highest paid quarterbacks are:

1. Seahawks QB Russell Wilson: $35 million
2. Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger: $34 million
3. Packers QB Aaron Rodgers: $33.5 million
4. Eagles QB Carson Wentz: $32 million
5. Falcons QB Matt Ryan: $30 million
6. Vikings QB Kirk Cousins: $28 million
7. 49ers QB Jimmy Garoppolo: $27.5 million
8. Lions QB Matthew Stafford: $27 million
9. Raiders QB Derek Carr: $25 million
10. Saints QB Drew Brees: $25 million

Of the Top 10, only 3 made the playoffs last year and only 1 won a playoff game.  And as of right now, only 4 are tracking to sniff the playoffs this year.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

Wow, this coming from the king of the “broken record” posts, himself. LMAO

1. Forget the incessant Macc stuff, I agreed with you there, but...

2. You were also one of the loudest people here mocking Gettleman and the Giants for taking Daniel Jones back in April. In two short weeks Jones has done what we hoped Darnold would do. Make the team around him look better, and actually win two games.

3. Or when you sound like a broken record to constantly mocking Jamal Adams, who’s actually been to the pro bowl and named 2nd team all nfl, but my questioning Darnold is out of line?

4. BTW I said Mayfield and Jackson have passed him, not Rosen,and they have. I also said Darnold hasn’t done anything to separate himself from Allen and Rosen, and he hasn’t. 

5. This kid missed 3 games last year, is about to miss at least a month this year, and people here want him to sit out the entire season because they’re worried about the OL. Give me a break.

6. I’ve never seen any player in NY Jets history get the pass this kid is getting. I’ll say this one last time. If Mayfield or Allen had ruined their teams season by contracting mono in a NJ bar (don’t give me that dirty spoon nonsense), you would be having a field day with them, and don’t say you wouldn’t.

7. I’m as upset with this season as any I can remember, and if you think I’m going to give Darnold or anyone else who holds this team back a pass, too bad. That isn’t going to happen, and yes, you won’t be the only broken record.

People call you a troll, but they're wrong. You're lower than that.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

35 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Sam Darnold has a 4 year contract.  If we can't validate Sam as a legitimate franchise quarterback until Year #3, we have exactly 1 year left under his rookie deal to build a Super Bowl caliber roster before he gets a massive contract and we can't afford to surround him with the right talent.

Great QB's in the modern NFL get all the money and that means they don't get enough skill position players, OL men, or a D worth a crap around them.  We need THIS to be the year of proof so that we can go crazy spending money and attracting the right talent in Year #3 and Year #4 before the window slams shut.

So we can't IR him.  He's got to come back and play the last 8 or 10 games, whatever.

SAR I

On the other hand, Gase has a nice, tidy setup right now where he can coach Darnold and run him through the offense for as long as he wants while the team continues to lose games and earn a higher draft pick that they can trade for the roughly 52 other high draft picks they need to build this roster from scratch. 

24 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

This should have been the case. Placating vets is a sign of weakness. Playing time should never have been handed out, regardless of performance.

yes.  that's very true.  but at the same time maybe he didn't like what he was seeing with the younger players and opted to go with players he thought were more reliable.

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

On the other hand, Gase has a nice, today setup right now where he can coach Darnold and run him through the offense for as long as he wants while the team continues to lose games and earn a higher draft pick that they can trade for the roughly 52 other high draft picks they need to build this roster from scratch. 

We're in a race against time.  The curse of finding your franchise quarterback is that once you've got him you've got a narrow 3 year window before he breaks the bank and robs you of the pieces you need to win a championship.  First year, rookie jitters.  Second year, big growth.  Third/Fourth year, go for Lombardi at all costs.

So by losing Year 2 it puts us in a horrible position.  Losing Darnold for a single year is worse than 5 years of Geno and McCown combined.

SAR I

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, batman10023 said:

how many sick days per year were you allowed at your job? none right?

how dare the players get paid when they aren't working.   snowflakes

LOL. Wow. I worked a Union job for the City of NY for 25 years bro and they used to tell us that sick days were for PAY PURPOSES only. Wimps.

7 minutes ago, SAR I said:

We're in a race against time.  The curse of finding your franchise quarterback is that once you've got him you've got a narrow 3 year window before he breaks the bank and robs you of the pieces you need to win a championship.  First year, rookie jitters.  Second year, big growth.  Third/Fourth year, got for Lombardi at all costs.

So by losing Year 2 it puts us in a horrible position.  Losing Darnold for a single year is worse than 5 years of Geno and McCown combined.

SAR I

Generally, I’d agree, but he’s got the mono and there’s not much they can do about that. If he can grow by taking a bunch of snaps in no-contact situations for a month and then come back for the last four weeks, and in doing so guarantee the team a top-3 pick, that’s not the worst thing 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Max Contract quarterbacks don't win Super Bowls.  Has to happen on the rookie deal.  2019 highest paid quarterbacks are:

1. Seahawks QB Russell Wilson: $35 million
2. Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger: $34 million
3. Packers QB Aaron Rodgers: $33.5 million
4. Eagles QB Carson Wentz: $32 million
5. Falcons QB Matt Ryan: $30 million
6. Vikings QB Kirk Cousins: $28 million
7. 49ers QB Jimmy Garoppolo: $27.5 million
8. Lions QB Matthew Stafford: $27 million
9. Raiders QB Derek Carr: $25 million
10. Saints QB Drew Brees: $25 million

Of the Top 10, only 3 made the playoffs last year and only 1 won a playoff game.  And as of right now, only 4 are tracking to sniff the playoffs this year.

SAR I

This is an exaggerated notion. Especially with the new CBA coming. The NFL wants stars and it can’t have its stars not competing for trophy’s. On top of that the difference between a mid tier and “max” QB is 10-15 million of cap- one top tier player or two above average ones... with the injury rate or this leuage that isn’t much of a difference.  

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The one thing Rex brought to the table with the o-line is he told Schitty to run the piss out of the ball and that was their strength for the most part. So while he didn't make anyone elite, he made them do what they were elite at more frequently - kind of like he did with Revis in Man coverage. That wore defenses down too.

Not exactly a tough decision.  Especially after that game against the Bills where we ran for 300+ yards but still lost because Sanchez threw 5 INT's.  

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Sam Darnold has a 4 year contract.  If we can't validate Sam as a legitimate franchise quarterback until Year #3, we have exactly 1 year left under his rookie deal to build a Super Bowl caliber roster before he gets a massive contract and we can't afford to surround him with the right talent.

Great QB's in the modern NFL get all the money and that means they don't get enough skill position players, OL men, or a D worth a crap around them.  We need THIS to be the year of proof so that we can go crazy spending money and attracting the right talent in Year #3 and Year #4 before the window slams shut.

So we can't IR him.  He's got to come back and play the last 8 or 10 games, whatever.

SAR I

The Jets organization blew this whole rebuild.  We now have an apparent franchise QB, but of our other 21 starters, maybe about 6 of them would actually start on another team.  What if the Jets end up with the #1 pick and Tua sitting there waiting to be drafted - do you trade that pick for a haul or draft Tua and trade Darnold to a team that is a franchise QB away from a Super Bowl - like Chicago or Dallas?

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah, thats the worst part.

Exactly what I was thinking because every coach would be able to win with their third string QB just off the practice squad? 

Gase isnt going anywhere and no HC should be fired after one year.  No matter how much you wanted McCarthy, Ruhle or Kingsberry.  

I didn't say I wanted Gase fired or that he should be able to win with a 3rd stringer. But depending how long Darnold is out it becomes harder and harder to evaluate the Head Coach because he is dealing with a lot of injuries. 

And you can fire a Head Coach after 1 year if you truly believe he is not the man for the job. 

42 minutes ago, SAR I said:

This I 100% agree with. Once the doctors clear him and he's no longer at risk, he has to play.

I understand the sentiment around just sitting him for the year while our OL is sh*t, but we don't wanna be going into his 3rd year still unsure if he's the guy. Sam has to play at some point. Just as long as he's physically healthy.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, rangerous said:

yes.  that's very true.  but at the same time maybe he didn't like what he was seeing with the younger players and opted to go with players he thought were more reliable.

That's possible, I myself thought he started K at C because he wasn't too far retired and just needed to knock of some rust, but it seems I was wrong. He needs to right it yesterday at this point.

3 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

This I 100% agree with. Once the doctors clear him and he's no longer at risk, he has to play.

I understand the sentiment around just sitting him for the year while our OL is sh*t, but we don't wanna be going into his 3rd year still unsure if he's the guy. Sam has to play at some point. Just as long as he's physically healthy.

Who the eff is suggesting sitting him for the year? Holy sh*t we are 0-3 not 0-13. If Sam doesn’t play this week he’ll play the week after that. This isn’t that complicated.

• Upvote 3

Clearly, he wanted to start a bunch of vets on the OL in the hopes that their collective experience would keep Darnold from getting murdered, and now that Darnold is out forever, Gase no longer gives a sh*t about getting his QB roughed up if it means that Edoga and/or Alex Lewis can develop into long-term starters down the road.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Clearly, he wanted to start a bunch of vets on the OL in the hopes that their collective experience would keep Darnold from getting murdered, and now that Darnold is out forever, Gase no longer gives a sh*t about getting his QB roughed up if it means that Edoga and/or Alex Lewis can develop into long-term starters down the road.

I hope so, I don’t want to see Winters, Kalil, or Beachum start ever again.

Ok, who do they cut now to resign the aptly named David Fales again.

• Upvote 1

Do I hope he plays this week? Of course I do.

However, as long as he's not 100% I wouldn't risk it. He needs reps, but he doesn't need to be thrown into the flames with this atrocious line, and risk of his spleen bursting. It's a miracle that he even survived week 1 in the first place with those conditions. 

Bottom line: He shouldn't play until he is definitely game ready. No matter how long that may be. I'm actually still surprised with how he's been tracking though. Thought he would definitely be shelved until mid season, so that's a plus. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1