Kelechi Osemele (shoulder) wants to have surgery despite team doctors ruling he could play through his injury

jbt

12 minutes ago, Aussie Jet said:

Pretty sure that would expose the Jets to a lawsuit if that were true. Surely Douglas isn't that dumb.

It will be worse. 

And we don't know how dumb Douglas is.  Lefkoe knew the ramifications of what he was putting out there.  Unlikely he doesnt have a reliable source... probably even more than one to confirm it. 

The Jets once had the CTE denial quack, Elliot Pellman, on their medical staff.  

This could be a really big scandal.

5 hours ago, RoadFan said:

It will be worse. 

And we don't know how dumb Douglas is.  Lefkoe knew the ramifications of what he was putting out there.  Unlikely he doesnt have a reliable source... probably even more than one to confirm it. 

The Jets once had the CTE denial quack, Elliot Pellman, on their medical staff.  

This could be a really big scandal.

---

Edited by Skeptable
Wrong
  • Thumb Down 1

32 minutes ago, David Harris said:

KO’s agent is stupid saying the pain med Toradol is a narcotic, it’s not, it’s fancy ibuprofen, an anti-inflammatory

my buddy at work threw out his back somehow and he got that stuff. He said exactly same thing - super anti -inFlammatory. Not same injury and who knows his pain level but if he could play those games with it, he probably can play.

But i dont hate him for trying to extend his career. Hope it works out, he should be replaced as soon as possible regardless of this anyway. 

2 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

Jets are paying 11 million dollars for that body. You can't decide to have an elective surgery when you are cleared to play by the doctors and also expect to get paid. Leveon could have decided to get a knee scope and then get his 14 million dollars owed by the Steelers if that was the case.

The Jets have a license  to print money. They can afford this. It's  his decision what he does with his body. ThebJets have been horrible at keeping players on the field  this year and if he feels he shouldn't  play, the Jets shouldn't  be threatening him with fines. I'm not a fan of Osemele, I think he was a terrible signing so far but this is BS. Who ever heard of such a thing.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Two the two that gave me butt fumbles for calling BS on this, I hope one day you are in the same position where maybe you have a bad bone spur where you need surgery to fix and won't  be able to work for a couple of weeks and your boss tells you if you get the surgery, I'm going to punish you, you can keep working with the bone spurs. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Let him have the surgery, put him on IR and cut him in the offseason.  Only the jets.........

Then he signs w/the Pats and the outcry here “Jets paid for his rehab and Pats get him 100%”. 

deny that. 

• Sympathy 1

29 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Two the two that gave me butt fumbles for calling BS on this, I hope one day you are in the same position where maybe you have a bad bone spur where you need surgery to fix and won't  be able to work for a couple of weeks and your boss tells you if you get the surgery, I'm going to punish you, you can keep working with the bone spurs. 

Cry me a river... The overwhelming majority of people in this country don't get paid to have surgery... Most lose their jobs... This is not the same situation... He is medically cleared to play, by multiple doctors including independent doctors. Yes some doctors say he needs surgery now... Ok, then get surgery... The Jets don't have to pay for a guy that decides to get a surgery now instead of waiting till the off-season. 

This is on top of the fact that first he had a knee injury that kept him out, then he got sick, and now he has an injury that he claims popped up 4 weeks ago... This guy has a long history of sitting out due to injuries.  This is just another example of him mailing it in to make sure that he is fully 100% healthy for FA.... He just doesn't want to wait because it will hurt his paycheck if he waits till the offseason since it take 6-8 months to recover. 

Again, Nobody here is saying don't have the surgery... if he thinks that is in the best interest of his future, nobody is stopping him. What is stopping him is that he wants to get PAID for it... That is a crock of sh*t... 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, Skeptable said:

It's barstool sports... Look up Lefkoe's history of lawsuits.. 

Adam works for Bleacher Report (owned by Warner Media via Turner Sports). I have met him a few times through work and found him to be a really sharp, friendly and funny guy. 

He had KO on his podcast this summer I think, so likely they are friendly. 

He doesn't work for Barstool Sports. I googled his name and lawsuits and don't see any come up...

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

Adam works for Bleacher Report (owned by Warner Media via Turner Sports). I have met him a few times through work and found him to be a really sharp, friendly and funny guy. 

He had KO on his podcast this summer I think, so likely they are friendly. 

He doesn't work for Barstool Sports. I googled his name and lawsuits and don't see any come up...

You are right... It's Adam lebowitz I was thinking of

• Thumb Down 1

Go ahead and force K Osemele to play, and do you know whose going to suffer - Sam Darnold.      Do you really want a disgruntled offensive lineman blocking for your franchise Qb.       

Hey the Osemele  trade didn’t work out for the Jets, move on , and try again next year to address the offense line. 

• Thumb Down 1

30 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

I’d think that there’s some type of settlement to come.

Osemele does not want to play through the injury. Jets don’t want to pay him.

I’m sure there’s a middle ground - Jets offer a certain dollar amount, Osmele accepts then is IR’d.  

None of this should ever have been made public by either side.  Both sides have a legitimate concern and a vested interest.  They have to settle this soon for the well being of the team.

• Upvote 2

As far as I can see, this is a colossal f up made during the physical part of the initial trade.  We cleared him and knew about the injury, therefore it should not be surprising if he opts to have surgery and get money from a termination.  This is  catastrophically stupid on the behalf of our old GM, as they should have insisted for a new contract and language protecting them from this before the trade ever finalized.

If we fine him, i hope the  league comes down hard on this.  Player safety trumps what’s good for the team.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

To be honest he’s been a major disappointment, I’d IR him and call it a day, Lewis looks like he can play.

I just read Lewis is out with a neck injury.....no details yet.

The Jets’ offensive line is seemingly holding on by a thread.

Left guard Alex Lewis did not participate in practice and was listed with a neck injury on the injury report Friday. That comes while Kelechi Osemele is in a dispute with the team regarding whether he needs shoulder surgery, leaving a hefty gap on the left side of the O-line.

There were no immediate updates with specifics on Lewis’ injury.

Center Ryan Kalil, who came out of a brief retirement to sign with the Jets this offseason, apparently hurt his shoulder during practice Thursday and was originally not supposed to practice Friday.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, jbt said:

The Jets believe Osemele can have surgery after the season, but he doesn't want to delay the process. The Jets are now planning on fining their left guard for conduct detrimental to the team if he opts to sit out. It's a messy situation, one that could easily drag on. If Osemele undergoes surgery, he's expected to miss the rest of the season.

Isn't him missing the season a plus ?

10 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I’ve been self employed for 25 years. Kind of the simple reality of it. You do what you can to go to work. Then again, I’m a pretty bad mofo. 

21 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I’ve been self employed for 25 years. Kind of the simple reality of it. You do what you can to go to work. Then again, I’m a pretty bad mofo. 

I'm also self-employed. I know the deal. I don't  work and produce, I don't  make money. I work 7 days a week when it's  slow. I was doing work at 9 PM last bite, not because it needed to be done, I just need to get through it. But this is BS and I'm just sick of the same A-hole giving me these stupid butt fumbles. It's one guy in particular that does this. I'm just expressing my opinion on this. The Jets screw up plenty of stuff.

• Thumb Down 1

This situation is completely messed up.  It must be a combination of:

• The Johnsons being cheap and petty.
  • Douglas and the Johnsons being frustrated with Macc’s ineptitude.  
  • KO trying to move forward with his life and capitalize on a loophole.
  • The Jets corrupt and inept medical staff.  Is the concussion guy still around?

The Jets and KO should settle for half of his remaining comp and give him an injury settlement and move on.  

But assuming that we have fixed our GM function, which I think we have, the conditioning and condition of this team is just awful.  I don’t believe it is an accident or fluke.   The soft tissue issues are just overwhelming-shoulder, groin, hamstring, etc.  There are exercises you do in the off-season to strengthen that stuff.  I do it and am a 55 year old male.  

Bring back Sal Alosi.  That was a bad a@@ team that he trained.  

34 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I'm also self-employed. I know the deal. I don't  work and produce, I don't  make money. I work 7 days a week when it's  slow. I was doing work at 9 PM last bite, not because it needed to be done, I just need to get through it. But this is BS and I'm just sick of the same A-hole giving me these stupid butt fumbles. It's one guy in particular that does this. I'm just expressing my opinion on this. The Jets screw up plenty of stuff.

My only point is if you have to work to eat you react to injury/sickness different than someone who knows they got a few sick days banked up. To an extent the individual makes a decision to work or not work based on as much the way they are feeling as it is whatever condition they have. 

• Upvote 1

The Jets need to start drafting players that want to be here. That can only happen when the Jets become more of an exciting destination for players to go. The Jets only become a more exciting destination for players to go when they start drafting better and there's more players that other players want to play with. That only happens when the GM starts drafting about a 1000 times better than he ever has before. And so on with the viscious cycle that the Jets have sucked since the organization was born.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

My only point is if you have to work to eat you react to injury/sickness different than someone who knows they got a few sick days banked up. To an extent the individual makes a decision to work or not work based on as much the way they are feeling as it is whatever condition they have. 

What we are seeing in the NFL is a continued social evolution and a generation that is used to thinking more individuallly and less deferentially to “the Man.”   Teams have abused their right to make players play through injuries, but obviously there is potential for players to abuse this as well.  Didn’t Brian Winters play through a torn abdominal muscle a few years ago, and we wondered how he did that (while also playing pretty terribly)?

I am actually somewhat ignorant about what the official policy is, but David Chao seems to think (likely without all of the information) that the Jets are behaving badly.  

I would think the only way to really manage this is to have an independent board decide these disputes, and in the event a player elects surgery with a medical basis that can be played through, the team and player should split the comp.  That should incentivize the team and player to act fairly.  The player by making that decision would be damaging his reputation and future market value, maybe.  

• Upvote 1