Kelechi Osemele (shoulder) wants to have surgery despite team doctors ruling he could play through his injury

jbt

Just now, FidelioJet said:

That's not the point.  What's to stop any player from basically saying "Hey, I'm hurt and don't want to play"?

If he's medically cleared to play then he should play....If he wants the surgery, no one's stopping him - but he shouldn't be paid for it.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that I don't disagree with this.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, bitonti said:

so ill ask again what's the end game here for the Jets

to have an unmotivated hurt player out there not protecting 14? 

this "pre-existing condition" BS should have been pointed out when they PASSED HIM for the trade physical 

His motivation is his problem.  He'll be the backup or earn his starting job back after resting it for a few weeks.  Either way, if I'm the Jets, I'm not going to pay him to get surgery that isn't necessary so he can go into FA next year.  The end game is that he's available should he need to come in.  Otherwise, let him rot on the bench and rack up the fines.  He can play and, again, he's being paid 11 million to do so.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

That's not the point.  What's to stop any player from basically saying "Hey, I'm hurt and don't want to play"?

If he's medically cleared to play then he should play....If he wants the surgery, no one's stopping him - but he shouldn't be paid for it.

Exxxxxxactly.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

K.O. was quickly my favorite signing of the offseason. I heard a few interviews with him and he is incredibly likable and seems like a really good guy. Point being, nothing about him comes across as a problem personality. He has underperformed this season and there have been talks of trading or benching him for weeks, I dont blame him one bit for wanting to protect himself and his prospects for next season with another team. The Jets don't care how surgery after the season negatively impacts his future after the Jets... K.O does. 

Don't disagree, but he shouldn't expect to be paid for it.

He had this condition before he joined, nothing has changed other than he's bad right now.

If he wants the surgery, go get it. But the Jets have no obligation to pay him then.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

if a dude doesn't want to play through a torn labrum, he shouldn't have to 

they don't own his ass 

most other franchises would let this one go 

6 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

K.O. was quickly my favorite signing of the offseason. I heard a few interviews with him and he is incredibly likable and seems like a really good guy. Point being, nothing about him comes across as a problem personality. He has underperformed this season and there have been talks of trading or benching him for weeks, I dont blame him one bit for wanting to protect himself and his prospects for next season with another team. The Jets don't care how surgery after the season negatively impacts his future after the Jets... K.O does. 

I don't blame him one bit for looking out for himself. My point is simply that this situation is an object lesson in why trading for other teams' problems isn't a good way to build a roster.

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the Colts had the right to drag back Andrew Luck's bonus when his body failed him 

they didn't

because they had class

it was a big bonus too like 20 or 30 mil 

what's the end game for the Jets exactly? to have a guy out there hurt who doesn't want to be out there 

Luck was a homegrown player who was drafted by the Colts and played his azz off for them. Big difference. Osemele was damaged goods from the beginning its looks like and he played with it then. Why all of sudden doesn't he want to play? Please. Guy's a chump.

• Upvote 2

This is like the Leveon Bell strategy, sort of.

Do you take the one year of money this year, which is a lot and guaranteed, and see how things turn out next year?

Or do you sit out, give up the money you would been paid, and sign a new hopefully multi-year contract next year?

My two thoughts.

• Will his market value next year be negatively effected if teams think he dogged the Jets?
  • I am sure the quality teams have psyche evaluations for potential players.  Mac obviously did not.  He picked and signed all sorts of losers.  
  • Upvote 1

Waszack and Hughes reporting that 2 doctors cleared osemele to play and that this is an old injury from the Raiders days 

So now it’s like how did this not get detected during the trade or is osemele basics looking to bag the season and hit free agency?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, CTJetsFan said:

Not a good optic for the team/organization. If a guy has an injury and wants to have surgery to get it fixed, it should be his call. They want to fine him on top of it? Can't imagine that's going over too well in the locker room.

you go lift weights all the time and play OL with a torn labrum....

if it was pre-existing...    makes the signing worse than it already has panned out...    is the causal to his poor play?

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

My God, it's  his body. Jets are being a$$es

Jets are paying 11 million dollars for that body. You can't decide to have an elective surgery when you are cleared to play by the doctors and also expect to get paid. Leveon could have decided to get a knee scope and then get his 14 million dollars owed by the Steelers if that was the case.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

because they are terrible 

Who is terrible? How does history have anything to do with people who have been with the Franchise for less than 12 months?

New Team President 

New GM

New Coaching staff?

LOL. Are you saying its Chris Johnson?

Sounds more like Osemele knows he stunk up the joint, has been replaced, wants out, and doesn't give a **** about anything anymore beyond getting his next paycheck. 

And if ANY team ever got caught covering up injuries by "doctoring" reports or altering/falsifying MRIs or other imaging, it would lead to a Congressional Investigation, possible criminal charges,  and lead stories on major Hard News outlets (and CNN)... 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

they don't own his ass 

Plus why would they want to make him play through it?  What if he sabotages the situation and Sam gets injured?

Could Lefkoe be dumb enough to actually tweet something like that without confirming it and being certain it is accurate? 

Never listened to the guy, but I find it hard to believe he isnt 100% sure.  I really think this is just the beginning of something huge... devastating for the Jets org... and humiliating for us Jet fans.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

they don't own his ass 

MY son plays D2, His team had no problem paying for his surgery for a torn labrum. it is true in theory you can play with it, and it won't get worse. But it won't get better, and  also you start losing strength and flexibility the longer you wait on the surgery. It's a 6-8 month rehab, so the longer you wait more likely he won't be a valued free agent. He won't be able to bench again for at least that long. For an OL guy, that probably costs him a year and he's getting no younger. 

Runs in the family; had torn rotator cuff plus bone spur plus fraying labrum plus arthritis in the bicep surgery 2 weeks ago.  A FVKCIN' BIATCH , world of pain. Cannot get comfortable,especially trying to sleep. Pot gummies over oxy, or I would be stumbling mumbling fool. Makes meniscus seem like a day at the beach. 

• Upvote 4

24 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

Jets are paying 11 million dollars for that body. You can't decide to have an elective surgery when you are cleared to play by the doctors and also expect to get paid. Leveon could have decided to get a knee scope and then get his 14 million dollars owed by the Steelers if that was the case.

Seriously, first hand, if he has this injury at his age it is not elective. His arm will be less useful the older he gets if he doesn't get surgery. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, varjet said:

This is like the Leveon Bell strategy, sort of.

Do you take the one year of money this year, which is a lot and guaranteed, and see how things turn out next year?

Or do you sit out, give up the money you would been paid, and sign a new hopefully multi-year contract next year?

My two thoughts.

• Will his market value next year be negatively effected if teams think he dogged the Jets?
  • I am sure the quality teams have psyche evaluations for potential players.  Mac obviously did not.  He picked and signed all sorts of losers.  

If it was a preexisting condition, one more time Coffee Boy did not do his homework. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

I am surprised by the lack of concern for the serious accusations that have been thrown at the Jets today.

I suppose my potential apocalyptic take on it is being dismissed as premature.  

Nevertheless, discussing KO's contract situation doesn't seem that relevant imo. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Lith said:

Sounds like this could get ugly.  Sure hope this report is incorrect.  It is one thing to disagree over a diagnosis/treatment plan, but another thing altogether to falsify records.  Not sure how credible Lefkoe or his source (Osemele?) is, but I hope he got this wrong, otherwise it is a really bad look for the team.

Pretty sure that would expose the Jets to a lawsuit if that were true. Surely Douglas isn't that dumb.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

18 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I am surprised by the lack of concern for the serious accusations that have been thrown at the Jets today.

I suppose my potential apocalyptic take on it is being dismissed as premature.  

Nevertheless, discussing KO's contract situation doesn't seem that relevant imo. 

It’s possible but I’d say it’s 99.765% just some Twitter hack looking for clicks 

• Upvote 2