Just for fun - Which of these previous Jets Head Coaches would you want today?

If you had to replace Adam Gase with a previous Jets HC who would you pick?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. If you had to replace Adam Gase with a previous Jets HC who would you pick?

• Herm Edwards
    • Eric Mangini
    • Rex Ryan
    • Todd Bowles

Mangini for his draft capability. Dude had a scouts eye for good football players. Rex owes his first 2 years of success atleast 50% to Eric. Basicly Mangini's players, with like 4 of Rex's sprinkled in. That said, Parcels is who I'd want back the most.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, TNJet said:

Mangini for his draft capability. Dude had a scouts eye for good football players. Rex owes his first 2 years of success atleast 50% to Eric. Basicly Mangini's players, with like 4 of Rex's sprinkled in. That said, Parcels is who I'd want back the most.

If that was the case why hasn't any other team hired him to work in their front office?

I always hate the "coach x one with coach y's players".  Who cares?  Parcells won with kotite/Steinberg players, herm won with Parcells/groh players, Rex with tannenbaum/mangini and after that it's stopped.  Rex did a better job as a HC than mangini and that is what both were paid to do.

• Upvote 2

Mangini....

Because even if you had to can him eventually for pissing off the locker room....his “process” would at least put us on the right path for the next HC(Sound familiar?) 

He’s actually a sharp football mind....just one of those rigid folk who are oblivious to relating with people.....

• Upvote 3

The NY Jets - "When you think it can't get worse."

I've got another question - Would you take Tanny over every GM we've had since him? I would in a heart beat. Obviously we don't know anything about Joe D, but the Jets under Tanny were hands down more talented top to bottom than anything we have had since. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I liked Rex, but I'm going Mangini.

I always had the feeling we shouldn't have let him go. With Rex, I knew it was time for him to go. 

Mangini was the only coach I wasnt doing backflips to see walk out the door. When his last season ended, I remember half heartedly hoping he wouldn't be fired. Every other coach had me calling for their head a full season before they were canned. I for over mangini because I was really pumped about Rex...

I think both Mangini and Rex could have been very good coaches for us if it wasnt for things other than their ability to coach. 

Letting Rex make his draft picks was Tanny's ultimate downfall. Imagine what we could have accomplished if Rex had nothing to do with drafting. we were a very good team with the players inherited from Mangini. With each passing year of giving Rex our first round picks, we got worse and worse. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

9 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Mangini never should have been fired.

The two people though flawed but who actually had a real plan in Mangini and Idzik get fired after a couple of seasons.  The awful horrible coaches and gms who from day one look like garbage all get 5 years.

The flaw is trying to build to beat the Patriots. That's only 2 games each season and turns into your Super Bowl. Rex was obsessed with beating BB and he earned the title of Buffoon for his efforts. Jets and Bills. I know Mangini, but not Idziik. He was a numbers guy right? The "simple" solution is to fire the Johnson boys and hire an owner who is an actual fan of the Jets. 

Kraft had Patriots season tickets for years before he bought the Pats. He interfered with Parcells and it cost the team a SB because Bill was disengaged during the SB and wasn't prepared. Then Pete who only wanted to be friends with his players. It's a learning curve, but if the goal is to win vs making money...

I rambled, but the point is, Kraft was a fan of the team before he bought it. So, if you can find the perfect storm...

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, CSNY said:

Even though he wasn’t listed Walt Michaels by far. He rebuilt the disaster that was the Lou Holtz Charlie Winner era made them competitive in 2 years had a brutal 1980 season but the next year had a legitimate Super Bowl contender ( Same can be said for Parcells as well) 

What Shula did by taking the tarp off that field was total BS.  Not even sure Belicheck would stoop to that...

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

What Shula did by taking the tarp off that field was total BS.  Not even sure Belicheck would stoop to that...

There is one slight difference. What Shula did absolutely sucked, but it did affect both teams. The sh*t Belichick has done, and was penalized for, only affected the opponents.

20 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

The NY Jets - "When you think it can't get worse."

I've got another question - Would you take Tanny over every GM we've had since him? I would in a heart beat. Obviously we don't know anything about Joe D, but the Jets under Tanny were hands down more talented top to bottom than anything we have had since. 

That's all of two GMs.  7 years.  

30 minutes ago, section314 said:

There is one slight difference. What Shula did absolutely sucked, but it did affect both teams. The sh*t Belichick has done, and was penalized for, only affected the opponents.

Not really. The fish at that time were a plodding team, straight ahead time running game, no finess, little speed.  The Jets were Walker, Freeman types, speed and cuts were a part of their game, their strength.  That slow, sloppy, slippery field hurt the Jets much more than the Fish, was an equalizer.  

Another division foe led by a scumbag HOF HC

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, section314 said:

Jets offense = Wesley Walker, Lam Jones, Barkum and McNeil  Miami defense = Killer B's 

I think effects to both teams were far from equal...

• Upvote 1

Walt Michaels.Not even close.

Right. That guy got a bumb deal. If he’s not one of the choices, for um... fun. I’d have to say Rex. He would have eventually learned that punks don’t make good leaders I’d say. He blew up a team of blue collar work horses (b Smith, s Ellis, j cotch, bray bray, Faneca, t Jones etc) for the likes of S Holmes, plax, mason etc and the hope of Aso. Don’t even get me started on Tebow. lol

That didn’t work with his style of braggadocious BS. But that being said, Rex gave us some of the best damn times in jets history and I think he may have done well with the group we started the season with.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

What's your point? We've only downgraded from Tanny for 7 years? Thank god it hasn't been that bad, at least it hasn't been 8 years of spinning our wheels and managing to go backwards. 

My point that hes better than one 2 year GM and another 5 year GM isnt that big a deal

Not getting why that has you confused

I chose Herm but not a strong vote from me. He made the playoffs 3 out of 5 years even though his Jets teams finished 2 games under .500. He’s had HC experience since leaving the Jets unsuccessfully with KC but he’s having some success trying to build a program at ASU. I still think thanks to Herm we lost that Steelers playoff game. By playing Martyball. He’s not the most innovative coach but maybe he’s improved with age. It’s not much of a list. 

Woody hired Mangini because he wanted us to be as competent as the Patriots. He thought Eric could bring us the Patriot way. Eric knew the Patriots system he is a competent if not smart football person but he had no leadership skills. And maybe wasn’t trustworthy. Traits you need in order to lead a team. It is surprising he didn’t get a FO job in the NFL. Maybe he doesn’t want one because he’s been out of the NFL for several years now. Plus there’s college football and the new leagues. The Alliance while it lasted did hire some name NFL coaches and the XFL has a few too like Bob Stoops, Gilbride, etc. Eric made some money and maybe he just wants to spend time with his family and not get into the coaching grind. Or maybe he just can’t get a job. That could be because of Belichick who was rumored to have had something to do with him getting fired by the 49ers. . 

• Upvote 1

Say what you want about Herm (he was far from perfect), but he is a great motivator and guys played hard for him. That’s exactly what this years team needs. 

Look at the Jets offense for example:

You have the guys on their last legs about to retire:

Kalil, Winters, Demaryius Thomas

You have pending free agents with one foot out the door:

Beachum, Shell, Robby Anderson

You have guys who just got paid:

Crowder and Bell

Not an easy group to keep motivated on a 1-6 team. I’d much rather be Flores and be coaching a bunch of firs contract guys playing their asses off to try to make it in this league. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/1/2019 at 12:26 PM, mrcoops said:

Mangini.  He was a good coach, who even made Tanny look decent by influencing his drafts and FA signings.

Yes, he annoyed the players but he was a good football coach and he had a plan. He was given a very rough deal being fired after not wanting Favre, then being fired for Favre's arm falling off.

Mangini had a man crush on favre....  mangini drafted vernon gholston 

• Upvote 1