Exhibit 1: Lamar Jackson in Baltimore

JetsLife

I wrote this in another thread but will sprinkle it in here too. On the broadcast, Collinsworth talked multiple times about a conversation he had with Harbaugh wherein he talked about the decision to take Jackson in the war room. The whole organization committed to doing everything different on offense defense and special teams to put a system and team around Jackson that would maximize his skill set.

Jackson’s got a lot of talent, but it’s the synergy between the qb, coaches and front office that are enabling his skills to shine. It’s being willing to maximize your players rather than being bound to a “system”.

The jets don’t do this.

For this reason alone, I’d love to see Dave Toub as the next HC.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/292764/special-teams-to-head-coach-chiefs-dave-toub-wants-his-shot%3fplatform=amp

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

Watched the game last night and Lamar Jackson was impressive against a BB* d that generally loves to toy with young QBs. LJ is fortunate, and that takes nothing away from what he's done as he's very talented, to be on a solidly run organization that knows how to put a good roster/team together. Having a good oline makes a huge difference. At this point Sam is anticipating getting hit out of nowhere on any given play and that has led to what we are seeing. When the Jets drafted QW in the draft Sam was somewhere on the ground doing something like this:

sonic adventure 2 GIF

13 minutes ago, JetsLife said:

The Ravens are one of the most solid outfits in the NFL the past 20+ years. Annually they've been in the playoffs or in the hunt. 

Now it could be Jackson is better than Mayfield, Darnold and Allen - the 2018 QBs drafted before him. At the moment that's case closed. But let's wait 5 years before we put him or any of the other '18 QBs in Canton or the bust scrap heap.

But I don't think I'm going out on a limb here, and this is taking nothing away from his Jackson's special, exciting skills: his success is in no small measure a result of being in a rock solid, functional NFL organization. Ya know, the antithesis of our Johnson-owned Jets. And Hess before him. 

Put Darnold in Baltimore where they'd tailor their offense around him as they have with Jackson: I'm guessing he'd be faring a bit better than he is with this currently inept outfit known as the NY Jets.

I agree with this completely.  So much of a QBs development is dependent upon the situation that his coaching staff and management put him in.  Take a promising young QB, put him behind a good OL with some decent weapons and you are putting him an enviornment to learn, develop and be successful.

Don't mean to absolve Darnold of blame.  He should know better than to throw balls up for grabs, off his back foor, while falling back away from the pass rush.  But the situation he was put in here is making it as difficult as possible for a QB to grow and develop.  Historically inept OL, below average WRs, bad game plans.  He is not playing well; but he has not been given much of an opportunity to succeed.  At this tage, I am afraid that he has already been ruined.  His regression is the main reason I want Gase gone.  Get him as far away from Darnold as possible. The guy has shown no ability to develop a young QB throughout his career.

The question is, how do we stabilize our franchise? We as fans want everyone cut and fired-- and that is not how you do it, but you could also argue that hiring the people we hire isn't how you do it either.  So I wonder... will we ever stabilize this franchise?

Joe Douglas needs to have an unbelievable draft but I can't help but feel like we're stuck in an annoying, depressing cycle. ****in' Groundhog Day. 

31 minutes ago, JetsLife said:

The Ravens are one of the most solid outfits in the NFL the past 20+ years. Annually they've been in the playoffs or in the hunt. 

Now it could be Jackson is better than Mayfield, Darnold and Allen - the 2018 QBs drafted before him. At the moment that's case closed. But let's wait 5 years before we put him or any of the other '18 QBs in Canton or the bust scrap heap.

But I don't think I'm going out on a limb here, and this is taking nothing away from his Jackson's special, exciting skills: his success is in no small measure a result of being in a rock solid, functional NFL organization. Ya know, the antithesis of our Johnson-owned Jets. And Hess before him. 

Put Darnold in Baltimore where they'd tailor their offense around him as they have with Jackson: I'm guessing he'd be faring a bit better than he is with this currently inept outfit known as the NY Jets.

It goes back to 2009.  Baltimore wouldn’t give REX the HC job. They gave it to a DB coach. They knew REX.  they drafted Flacco. They surrounded him with what he needed to succeed. We traded away all of Sanchez’s weapon of 2010.

They have been so better run than the Jets and it’s not even close. 

• Upvote 1

Lamar Jackson is great but only because they have a head coach who built a system around Jackson. Harbaugh's even admitted that he isnt stuck in 1 system and created one to help Jackson succeed.  If Jackson was playing for Gase he would look as bad as Darnold if not worse comes down to coaching. I think if the Jets could hire a good coach Darnold could succeed but at this point the damage could already be done.

42 minutes ago, TMAC said:

I agree. It's hard to judge a young QB when he plays behind an unprofessional line and most of the team on both sides of the ball stinks.  Horrific coaching exacerbates the situation.

These are the current Jets positions on offense where we have players starting who would likely not start on 90% of other NFL teams...

WR1, WR2, LT, C, RG, RT, TE1 (maybe).  That's 7 players and leaves only Bell, Crowder, Darnold and maybe Alex Lewis at RG.  Robby would be a WR3 on another team.  Ryan Griffin likely doesn't start anywhere else in the AFC except maybe Cleveland (with Njoku hurt) and Jax with Seth DeValve.

Am I way off with this?

Is Darnold currently playing with any more than 3 or 4 other guys on offense who should be legit NFL starters?

• Upvote 2

If I was an owner of a NFL team in today's NFL, I would NEVER hire a HC, OC or DC that had a "system".  I would have a coach that builds a system around the players they have (like the CHeatriots) Just too much turnover, CAP issues and lack of NFL preparation in college to realistically build a team around a specific system like the WC offense or the bear defense. Even if you are a "Tampa 2" guy at heart you really can't play that system until you have the mike and will so you need to incorporate some of those philosophies in a system that works for the players you have,

Baltimore with Jackson is the poster child for this. Their offense is built entirely around his skill set and the backups are like mini-Jacksons. However, as impressive as it can be. it has not been shown that you can sustain success with this style as the QB eventually gets beaten down, loses a step and then they are just mediocre pocket QBs like Newton and Kapernick and RGIII became.

Not to toot my horn, but before the draft last year I did not like Darnold (I'm behind him now as our QB). Jackson was my guy. I was all for taking him at #6. I don't care what the draftniks say. I don't care about rankings and all of that bullsh*t. If you believe strongly in a QB, you take him as soon as you can.

That's why I never faulted the Giants for the Daniel Jones pick this year. I respect the guts that took.

• Upvote 4

57 minutes ago, JetsLife said:

not so sure about that.  he beat the patsies, handily and that's a good thing but he's just not that good as a passer.  if he has good passing marks it's probably because he forces the safeties to play his run ability thereby letting his receivers get a mismatch.

but what the ravens did do is change their team to take advantage of jackson's skills as opposed to moldy old flacco's.  the jets need to build a team to darnold's skills.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Lamar Jackson would have already been killed here.  Sure, he'd escape and create some explosive runs but he'd be running so much he'd be dead.

Any QB would be. That’s why I would much rather use the draft to build this team the right way. Make it a competitive roster and then find your QB to insert. Won’t even need a top 10 pick to do that. 

32 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Chris Johnson needs to fire adam gase.  Chris Johnson needs to let joe Douglas hire the head coach.  The head coach must report to Douglas.

The fix for the jets is so easy its mind boggling.

That would be a good start!

59 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Not to toot my horn, but before the draft last year I did not like Darnold (I'm behind him now as our QB). Jackson was my guy. I was all for taking him at #6. I don't care what the draftniks say. I don't care about rankings and all of that bullsh*t. If you believe strongly in a QB, you take him as soon as you can.

That's why I never faulted the Giants for the Daniel Jones pick this year. I respect the guts that took.

I felt that way about Russel Wilson and Jacoby Brisset. BOTH were solid picks as second rounders but hell we had Fitzpatrick , why draft a QB.  Oh wait..Hackenberg.   FUKK MacCagnon. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

Lol Jets fans were calling out their GM and HC as done a year ago.

We are the best contrarian indicators in football.

Own it guys. This is why we are a joke.

Jets fan: I wish we had a nice, solid, consistent program like the Ravens have built.

Also Jets fan: SEVEN GAMES IS ENOUGH. FIRE UP THE “FIRE THIS COACH” GOFUNDME PAGE

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, sourceworx said:

If we took Jackson at #6, he'd already be looking like a bust here and having us questioning why in the world we took him as high as we did. 

The fact is, besides two seasons, it seems like it doesn't matter who the players are, coaches are, management are, etc. This team is just plain cursed.