KRL

2 hours ago, KRL said:

- Was Adam Gase trying to make a point today?  For the first time all year
he committed to the run and rushed the ball 32 times for 112 yards.  But why
did it happen in the game that LeVeon Bell didn't play in?  Bilal Powell
and Ty Montgomery definitely hit the holes quicker than Bell.  Was Gase
sending a message to Bell about that or to Joe Douglas about not needing a
high priced RB?

I assumed Bell was out today because of his comments, not a real injury.

Either way, the fact that this is a question is due to the fact that Gase seems just petty and stupid enough to make this a priority.., and that’s not good. 

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, nico002 said:

On the down you are referencing Darnold not running he hit crowder with a pass on the hands...

Well, Crowder would have had to make a diving one-handed catch, don't blame Crowder.

I think Darnold has almost too much confidence.  Why run for the first when he can complete this 15 yard pass?  And of course his completions when the play breaks down is one of his strengths.  So it's a bit of a tough balance.  It's both good and bad that he won't just take a few yards running, and instead still looks to make a play.  He just has to know the situation better.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Running was probably the right play but I'm cool having a QB looking to make big plays with his arm. 

He's gotta learn on 3rd down when you have a HUGE LANE like he had, you don't throw unless the guys wide open, Crowder was tightly covered, the catch had to be a diving catch, when Sam could have maybe ran the ball in for a TD. He would have easily gotten the 1st & slid down. Sam is way to athletic to pass up gimme 1st downs with his legs. 

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I have my own theory about Darnold.

Little background: I had mono at roughly the same age as Darnold. I was in decent shape, certainly far from NFL shape, but above average at that time and for my age. Mono kicked the ever-living crap out of me. It literally took me an entire year to feel right again. I know the write ups will say 2 to 3 months for recovery but that sort of also assumes like complete rest something you can enforce on a teenager. Every time I pushed myself physically all the symptoms came back and I was super weal and sore.

But Darnold is not really resting at all. I truly believe that not only does he still have mono symptoms which is causing some of the erratic play, but I also think (outside a couple planned runs where he was not exposed much) that he is being told not to run and risk getting a big hit as there might still be some concern about his spleen. 

Just my thought.

I agree. He looks a little lethargic.

• Upvote 1

don't know why everyone is saying that Bell hasn't gotten touches, and somehow he is being snubbed. The first few games of the season, he got the ball EVERYTIME, it was monotonous and ineffective. Maybe since then the  OL improved, and the story would be different? Is that the point?  Anyway, he DID got tons of touches at the beginning of the season.

• Upvote 1

I thought Darnold was good for the most part.  The interception, from my vantage point in the mezz right behind him, was a direct product of bad footwork.  If he had turns his body and resets his legs, the ball does not drift toward the middle of the field, right toward the safety.  If he gets it to the sideline, only the receiver would've had a chance on it.  He also overthrew a couple of open receivers on what would have been chunk plays.  I couldn't tell if those were footwork related, but they could've been costly.  I also agree about the sack.

Generally, you have to be pretty pleased with the kid.  He's still playing behind a poor offensive line with average (at best) skill position talent, but since the Jags game he has thrown 10 TD vs 3 INT while maintaining a pretty high Y/A.

• Upvote 1

I liked Quinen's game (tough miss on the sack try) but he was in the backfield on many plays... the facemask wasn't a bad play by him he went for the tackle and his hand ended up on the helmet... tough to re-adjust it at that point and I thought he didn't grab the face mask, but in real time that's pretty tough to determine.  shame he got hurt   

• Upvote 2

Critical drops by DT have continued. When the offense does seem to look like a decent unit they are killed by drops and further exasperated by missed open WR’s. Seems like Sam has missed a few on 3rd and long situations. Not sure why that’s been a trend lately?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Little background: I had mono at roughly the same age as Darnold. I was in decent shape, certainly far from NFL shape, but above average at that time and for my age. Mono kicked the ever-living crap out of me. It literally took me an entire year to feel right again. I know the write ups will say 2 to 3 months for recovery but that sort of also assumes like complete rest something you can enforce on a teenager. Every time I pushed myself physically all the symptoms came back and I was super weal and sore.

But Darnold is not really resting at all. I truly believe that not only does he still have mono symptoms which is causing some of the erratic play, but I also think (outside a couple planned runs where he was not exposed much) that he is being told not to run and risk getting a big hit as there might still be some concern about his spleen. 

Just my thought.

Absolutely excellent points.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Just my thought.

excellent points.  and isn't he still wearing a protective covering anyway for the spleen, they said he would wear it for the rest of the year.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, KRL said:

Offense

- Was Adam Gase trying to make a point today?  For the first time all year
he committed to the run and rushed the ball 32 times for 112 yards.  But why
did it happen in the game that LeVeon Bell didn't play in?  Bilal Powell
and Ty Montgomery definitely hit the holes quicker than Bell.  Was Gase
sending a message to Bell about that or to Joe Douglas about not needing a
high priced RB?

This is easy and we can answer your questions using most of the things you yourself said....

Was Adam Gase trying to make a point today?

Yes. Bilal Powell and Ty Montgomery definitely hit the holes quicker than Bell.

For the first time all year he committed to the run. But why did it happen in the game that LeVeon Bell didn't play in?

Because Bilal Powell and Ty Montgomery definitely hit the holes quicker than Bell and rushed the ball 32 times for 112 yards, keeping the defense honest.

Was Gase sending a message to Bell about that or to Joe Douglas about not needing a high priced RB?

Not sure about the price, but he was likely showing the type of RB he values.  Gase wants a RB that heads straight to where the play is designed to go, hit the hole that's expected to be created in the play design.  The Jets offensive line isn't capable of sustaining blocks and blowing open big holes.  But, they can usually hit the defender they're supposed to even if just for a second.  That gets you 3-4 yards.  When Bell hesitates/diagnoses/assesses and tries to "setup blocks" it doesn't work because we can't sustain blocks and any hole that opens isn't there for long.

It's possible that if just two Offensive Linemen were better than they are....say a Center and Guard, a Guard and Tackle, then Powell's 4-yard runs become 7 or 8, and maybe one of them breaks open.  And, imagine if we had a better RB than Powell heading straight to the hole?

Always enjoy your notes and observations.  its one of the things I always look forward to after each game whether it is a win or less.  Very even analysis and no irrational "hot takes" good or bad.

Thank you for your contributions, I doubt i'm not the only one, but I really appreciate reading them

• Upvote 3

RE: Bell vs Powell vs Ty 

the zone scheme gase favors does work better with players who have speed who can hit the edge 

but Powell always does this he looks good 1 or 2 games a season and then either gets hurt or other teams shut him down 

Montgomery could see more action but people forget how crap his ball security was early in the year

Bell produces and doesn't fumble while Gase does want shifty zone runners this isn't "a message" 

Powell cannot do this week to week and Montgomery has to prove he can secure the football 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

RE: Bell vs Powell vs Ty 

the zone scheme gase favors does work better with players who have speed who can hit the edge 

but Powell always does this he looks good 1 or 2 games a season and then either gets hurt or other teams shut him down 

Montgomery could see more action but people forget how crap his ball security was early in the year

Bell produces and doesn't fumble while Gase does want shifty zone runners this isn't "a message" 

Powell cannot do this week to week and Montgomery has to prove he can secure the football 

Powell and Montgomery are Jags. There are guys you can bring off the street who can be just as productive. 

I think there is a good chance we use a late RD pick on a RB to groom behind Bell. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Powell and Montgomery are Jags. There are guys you can bring off the street who can be just as productive. 

I think there is a good chance we use a late RD pick on a RB to groom behind Bell. 

i hope they use a day 2 pick on a rb.  they need more rb production in both the running and passing games.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Vyncint Smith should be getting all of D Thomas' reps, all year long 

I'm not like some kind of football genius but starting wide receivers should be able to run fast and also catch

call me crazy 

Agreed, but running the right routes is even more important and I am going to guess that Thomas is a better route runner and is a more reliable option for Darnold. 

Obviously, would be great if Smith could unseat Smith. It's not like Thomas is in this teams long term plans. 

11 hours ago, thshadow said:

Well, Crowder would have had to make a diving one-handed catch, don't blame Crowder.

I think Darnold has almost too much confidence.  Why run for the first when he can complete this 15 yard pass?  And of course his completions when the play breaks down is one of his strengths.  So it's a bit of a tough balance.  It's both good and bad that he won't just take a few yards running, and instead still looks to make a play.  He just has to know the situation better.

I think it's about situational awareness. He has to take the sure first down when it's right in front of him. He's also still making dangerous throws on 1st & 10, which he can't afford to do. I don't want to see him lose his gunslinger mentality, but it has to be driven into his head that sometimes you just have to make the safe play. Run for three yards, get the first, regroup. Everyone covered on 1st down? It's okay to throw the ball away. 

11 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Just my thought.

I don't want to make any excuses for him, but I think it's probably pretty likely that he's not fully recovered and probably doesn't realize it himself. 

As for the spleen, if there's really a genuine risk of serious injury there as a result of the illness, he shouldn't be on the field. I really hope the Jets aren't sending him out there telling him to be careful about being hit (any more than any other QB). 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, slats said:

I think it's about situational awareness. He has to take the sure first down when it's right in front of him. He's also still making dangerous throws on 1st & 10, which he can't afford to do. I don't want to see him lose his gunslinger mentality, but it has to be driven into his head that sometimes you just have to make the safe play. Run for three yards, get the first, regroup. Everyone covered on 1st down? It's okay to throw the ball away. 

Totally agree. I think the INT yesterday was on 3rd down so I wasn't too bothered by that one. his decision making needs to improve though, he is getting away with a few things I wouldn't make long term bets on. Situational awareness is at the top of the list for me though. 3rd down if you throw and INT 20 yards down the field it isn't a huge deal (depending on field position). But don't do that stuff on 1st and 2nd down.

12 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Just my thought.

Good post.

There could be something to this. They are making him wear that flak jacket all year, so they must be concerned about something.

on the other hand, if they’ve told him not to take off and run unless absolutely necessary, I’d think other teams would have caught on by now, and defend him differently?

• Upvote 1