Cowboys hire Mike McCarthy as their new Head Coach

King P

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Somewhat shocking.  I didn't think Jones would make a smart hire here, so McCarthy made sense as an end result, but I at least thought he'd wait to take a close look at the college coaches.

Jerry Jones likes tired, old retread Head Coaches and has no patience for newbs.  Remember, his last full-blown top-to-bottom HC search resulting in hiring Wade Phillips as HC for the Cowboys.

I like the move by the Cowboys.  MM certainly had an itch to come back and coach, and regardless of what you think about Jerry, etc. the Cowboys are a storied franchise in US sports.  I also like that MM is not afraid of the pressure....because make no mistake about it, the expectations in Dallas are not simply to take a step forward from 8-8 and get a Wild Card....the expectation with that roster is to go to the Super Bowl in 2020.

3 minutes ago, nico002 said:

The Packers couldn’t run the ball for sh*t with McCarthy... they need to run the football with Zeke and that OL. This makes no sense to me. 

The problem in GB wasn't a lack of willingness to run the ball.  It was not having a RB to run with until Aaron Jones came onto the scene.  The biggest mistake McCarthy made was not unleashing Jones much sooner.  Jones wasn't a good pass blocker so he used Jamaal Williams for far too many snaps.  

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

I think Mike had his run with two great QB's.  The Packers organization firing him mid season was a red flag.  The Packers are actually a good organization.  I'm not convinced he's not a product of superior talent.  We will find out. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

Jerry Jones likes tired, old retread Head Coaches and has no patience for newbs.  Remember, his last full-blown top-to-bottom HC search resulting in hiring Wade Phillips as HC for the Cowboys.

I like the move by the Cowboys.  MM certainly had an itch to come back and coach, and regardless of what you think about Jerry, etc. the Cowboys are a storied franchise in US sports.  I also like that MM is not afraid of the pressure....because make no mistake about it, the expectations in Dallas are not simply to take a step forward from 8-8 and get a Wild Card....the expectation with that roster is to go to the Super Bowl in 2020.

They're basically just "running it back", replacing a below average veteran HC with an average veteran HC.  Unimaginative hire.  Matt Rhule would have been the best choice.  

2 minutes ago, drsamuel84 said:

Don't really care about McCarthy but this means the Giants are probably hiring Rhule which could be our worst nightmare. 

Why would this be a Jets fan worst nightmare. Whoever the Giants hire will be fired in a year or 2 when gettlemen gets canned. Giants job is not desirable with gettlemen still there imo. 

• Upvote 2

Logical choice. Cowboys have a veteran team, ready to win now. Dak, Zeke, Oline aren't getting any younger. Can't waste time on the growing pains of a college coach . Giants are totally different case. Rhule would make way more sense there, but Giants would have to bite a pretty big bullet with the buyout.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, drsamuel84 said:

Don't really care about McCarthy but this means the Giants are probably hiring Rhule which could be our worst nightmare. 

Why is anything the NY Giants do an issue for us?  

If the NY Jets would just win and consistently win nothing NY Giants would matter. 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

They're basically just "running it back", replacing a below average veteran HC with an average veteran HC.  Unimaginative hire.  Matt Rhule would have been the best choice.  

Jerry Jones has never taken a chance on a HC in my opinion.  It's all about trust for him.  He wants either someone he knows and he can control (see Garrett, Barry Switzer), or someone with bigtime NFL history/experience/credentials (see Wade Phillips, Bill Parcells and now Mike McCarthy).  Guys like Matt Rhule, Lincoln Riley, etc. never had a chance in my opinion.