Troubling Thought Regarding Douglas

JetsLife

3 hours ago, JetsLife said:

Publicly he seems to be a strong believer in Gase, along with our genius owner Christopher Johnson. Gase at best - the jury remains out on, worst he’s a garbage HC-OC. Perhaps Douglas has different thoughts on Gase privately. If not what does this say about Douglas’ judgment?

What do you expect for him to say in public?

Our Head Coach is mediocre, but I'm keeping him for 1 more year to see if he can prove himself?

• Upvote 1

Publicly he seems to be a strong believer in Gase, along with our genius owner Christopher Johnson. Gase at best - the jury remains out on, worst he’s a garbage HC-OC. Perhaps Douglas has different thoughts on Gase privately. If not what does this say about Douglas’ judgment?

Douglas is here primarily because of Gase.  Of course he's going to cowtow to Gase, at least initially.

The real problem is that the Johnson's would ultimately be responsible for firing Gase, not Douglas.  Granted, that takes a bit of the awkwardness out of JD's hands, but it also means we're still relying on our sh*tty owners for a lot of the big decisions here.  

• Upvote 1

I have a great idea!  Let's try to get Joe Douglas fired.  Right now.  Let's raise $200 and fly a plane next week.

Good?

SAR I

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

It does not matter at all what our GM thinks of the coach under our present set up. 

Gase had the power to get mac fired and Douglas hired so the hierarchy is:

Weak and confused owner.

Coach who bamboozled weak and confused owner.

GM

Wait, so you thought Gase was wrong for engineering Mac's termination and getting Douglas to come in? How is that "bamboozling" anyone. It was absolutely essential to the Jets having any future at all.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You should have.  It would have been fun to read 3 straight snarky posts.  Hell, it might have started an endless loop, not dissimilar to @Maxman's legendary "Thanks Tom.  The 1998 reference was a good one.  I think that team overachieved big time."

Lol, it wouldve seemed intentional at that point when in reality it was what popped in my head.

Plus, theres no room to follow T0m with your snout up his bum ;)

4 hours ago, JetsLife said:

Bingo, no way he is as high on gase privately. I doubt he credits him with the job either. Its not like jets had a lot of option and they were lucky to get him based on his background. 

I think it is possible he wants to see what gase does with a roster he builds, but really he just knows he has one more year with him because of ownership. After the year Gase had I think Joe D thinks Gase is terrible coach, but he is already a good enough GM to know that if Gase catches fire next year, he will roll with him, if not he will release and get his own guy.

Joe already know thats either way he wins. Because during this trash gase time period he can go about constructing his team roster and really no one is going to give him and sh*t. He basically has a free pass for a couple seasons..

Pretty good spot for Douglas. Also who wants to bet that he replaces that damn strength and conditioning team, what the hell. Gase problem aside I mean damn wiht all this injuries..

I despise everything about Gase, but the lack of public criticism by Douglas (whom Gase doesn't even report to) means absolutely nothing but a good business decision.  There may or may not be more behind that, but we've got no way to read that now.  Until the day comes where Douglas is getting pushed around by Gase, or going to bat for Gase when the Johnsons are considering sh*t-canning him, it doesn't mean a whole lot.

31 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Wait, so you thought Gase was wrong for engineering Mac's termination and getting Douglas to come in? How is that "bamboozling" anyone. It was absolutely essential to the Jets having any future at all.

A blind cat could have seen that mac sucked.  I am not going to heap praise on gase for pulling a coup on a guy that should have been canned at least a year earlier.

Gase is not a good coach or leader because we have a moronic owner who cannot see the obvious.

We haven't seen him draft for himself yet, so I'll give him or anyone a blank slate benefit of the doubt there, no matter what the Eagles did with him on the staff.

I only have one real criticism of him, and it's because I'm concerned it extrapolates to a bigger picture (more than whiffing on an individual player, like Kalil, who was at least an average starter the prior season and it's not like he could go to the interior OL store in June or later; every GM whiffs, so this isn't a pattern yet). 

Based on leaks after the fact - assuming they're accurate - it's how he proceeded with Anderson, because he's an upcoming FA he didn't extend and we got a trade offer he turned down (and not just a negligible 6th/7th rounder that could be recouped by trading back 1-4 slots in round 3). 

1. Trade him for an offered 4th rounder in late October? OK, that's just least subject to being right/wrong on one player.
  2. Keep + extend him instead of trading him? OK, again that's subject to being right/wrong on this one player's value to the team.
  3. Decline the trade and then don't extend him while his value was lower, while we're sitting at 1-6 or whatever we were? Umm...

With the team's realistic playoff hopes in the trash, the last option can only be rationalized if one feels this last half-season of Darnold's additional experience/development being aided specifically by the presence of Robby Anderson (if he doesn't get injured himself) was worth sacrificing a soon-upcoming 4th round pick. It's an argument, and tossed it out there at the time, but it's certainly the hardest sell of the 3 options, especially since Douglas made the affirmative act to put Anderson on the trade market. Now we have no extra pick for him; we more likely than not we won't get it as a comp pick a year later (and any of us would hate to turn down a needed UFA to avoid losing it); and we won't have any more chance at bringing him back in 2020 than any other team (unless we outbid everyone in advance, like Macc did with December/January extensions of Enunwa & Winters).

Anyway it calls his foresight into question. No it doesn't mean it's a tragedy or a sure failure we're going to see as the norm - he did take what he could get with Leo, and we did luck into some Giants stupidity on that one - but Anderson wasn't as easy of a decision as Leo, so it's something to tuck away.

I'll also note he could come out being right, in that Anderson's demands were so unrealistically high he's confident he can re-sign him after every other team is done laughing at the demands. But that's also slim, and presumably he should have known Anderson's high demands at the time he turned down any trade offers.

How about letting Douglas and his staff shape the team for the first time in a year?

This is where I’m beginning to settle. I’m just emotional as the best of us here, but at this point we are pretty clear on the fact that it’s unlikely we will even see any assistant coaching changes. So I’m just looking at what can be done and having some fun with it.

I’m going to totally believe in JD and even the idea that Gase will get what he prefers through him. The talk about Gase sucking or what macc drafted is not gonna do much good at this point.

So what I’m most likely saying is that I’m going full vulnerability for the jets to break my heart again. Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

6 hours ago, JetsLife said:

Just so wrong with Gase? The ignorance level on this board is outstanding.  I know- this board is populated by a bunch of "neighborhood" guys.  The type that  don't really go a mile beyond their houses and live in their own worlds of corner stores, smokes, sitting on the stoop and talking about high school.

Gase went 7-9.  The Jets did not post a winning record because the front office was in shambles and took the philosophy they would rely on washed up offensive linemen.  Think about  it- again I know people on this board are adverse to thinking. "Trader Mike"- even though he never made trades, gave up an asset for KO.  When you look at that roster construction how can you fault Gase?

There are losers then there are guys from Jersey who spend all their time on Jet message boards.

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

8 minutes ago, Rob123 said:

Just so wrong with Gase? The ignorance level on this board is outstanding.  I know- this board is populated by a bunch of "neighborhood" guys.  The type that  don't really go a mile beyond their houses and live in their own worlds of corner stores, smokes, sitting on the stoop and talking about high school.

Gase went 7-9.  The Jets did not post a winning record because the front office was in shambles and took the philosophy they would rely on washed up offensive linemen.  Think about  it- again I know people on this board are adverse to thinking. "Trader Mike"- even though he never made trades, gave up an asset for KO.  When you look at that roster construction how can you fault Gase?

There are losers then there are guys from Jersey who spend all their time on Jet message boards.

Go away if you hate everyone here so much. 

The best way to stick it to the people who "post all day" on a JN message board is to go outside, not post on the message board you're talking about.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, JetsLife said:

Who gives a sh*t? He was hired as our GM and I personally believe he has an excellent resume. This is a night and day better hire than Mike Macagnan was. He didn't hire Gase so all he can do is support him. That makes sense. That's the only thing you can do in a situation like that.

Now, my own personal belief (and it does seem to be mine alone?) is that JD prefers a HC like Rex Ryan. A guy he knows from his past and they have mutual admiration for each other and what they've done in football. My belief is that if Gase ever gets fired (I do NOT believe he should be fired right now. He did an excellent job coaching this team in 2019) JD will rehire REX RYAN as HC. I don't care how many of you want to run your mouths about him. Rex is still the third BEST HC this pathetic organization ever hired. He can and will get this team to the SB IF he has a talent stream coming in the building. Rex was stuck with HORRIBLE GM's. The fact is you cannot win if you don't have talent. I believe Chris Johnson has now hired a person that will know how to draft? We shall see.

17 hours ago, Rob123 said:

And yet here you are. 

JD at this point is an enigma, but the next sign of how this goes is obviously not only the players that JD signs and drafts, but how we think they were directed by what Gase wants.  If JD thinks he needs to pick the players who “grade out” better because that is how he thinks he will be evaluated (and that may be the right answer if Gase is temporary), turning this team around will take a lot longer.  That is basically what Mac did, unsuccessfully.  

JD was obviously a part of some successful teams, not all of whom were that successful last season.  The Eagles built a great roster, but their last two drafts were not that hot, and it showed on the field and the Eagles record.  Kalil and the kicker were bad moves, and if they end up losing players they could have traded, that is also bad.  

But the fact that JD surrounded himself with guys like Hogan, Alexander and Savage has actually given me the most hope.    I am hoping that, putting their heads together, they can find better players for this team-players that fit what Gase wants to do, and that can also play for the next coach.  I am expecting there to be a next coach, relatively soon. 

19 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Gase is not a good coach or leader because we have a moronic owner who cannot see the obvious.

You own a team that wins all of 4 games.  You fire the HC.  

You lose your QB, have an inordinate number of injuries.  Your new HC keeps his team together and wins 7 games, finishes up 6-2 and importantly wins 5 home games. 

You give him at least another year to prove he needs to go.  Only a moron fires that HC after year 1 or better yet publicly calls out that HC just to prove to fans that hes not moronic.