Prediction: All major sporting events will be cancelled in 2020 (Update. MLB, NHL, NASCAR suspending, MLS, NCAA, XFL, Masters cancelled).

Everything will be delayed about a month or so but every professional league or tournament will happen. There is too much money in it for them to cancel it. March Madness will be April Madness.

What I think you will see is the NBA and NHL reduce the remaining amount of games left in the regular season.  I think MLB will cut their games down to about 135 instead of 162 in order to keep their season timeline together.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

4 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Taking precautions now to make sure the healthcare system isn't overloaded and we don't have to triage like Italy is prudent, IMO.

Doesn't mean there won't be several waves of this; but it's better than a colossal clusterf*** all at once.

At least that's what I hope they're thinking by being proactive.

For sure, but if warm weather doesn't slow this down most of us are going to get this and at this point based on updated mortality projections it looks basically like a bad flu. Obviously it's evolving as more data comes in.

There's also a huge cost to the panic and lost economic activity

20 minutes ago, CTM said:

The funny thing to me is the same people wanting all of this stuff cancelled are the same people saying this is a huge issue because China hasn't actually curbed it and it will explode there once they re enter the world. ( i agree with this)

Either this is going to be dissipated by warmer weather or its going to spread like wildfire eventually once people get bored with staying home (or can no longer afford too do so

I can see merit to slowing it down until warmer weather arrives, but the current solutions aren't really going to stop this thing long term. It will just spike again once people reenter the world

The temp means nothing no matter what the President says.  95% of people that get the virus are over it in 2 weeks. Thats why countries have a 30 day lockdown in place. The belief is that people who do have it will be over it by the end of the isolation period and it won't be transferable any longer.  This is how most major outbreaks in the history of the world have been stopped i.e. the black plague 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 82nd Airborne said:

Great insight.  The health system is broken and the average American is struggling with medical bills.  

I deal a lot with every day county level medical clinics on the suburban and city level.  Just because of where I live and where my employment takes me..  A lot of intake medical centers here are basically halfway houses for services for people who are itinerant wanderers or between any kind of stable life situation.  I live in the a quiet little town but gradually just the amount of defunded infrastructure and urban sprawl has pushed the Portland Metro Area past the point where there is some sort of urban boundary.  You will sit in a waiting room here and a guy with an entire sleeping bag and possessions will walk past you looking for services.  Then another guy in a poncho looking like he just got out of the cast for Mad Max: Fury Road will walk by asking for 2 dollars for a debt card.  Like... "how did this guy get here?  We're miles off the beaten path.  I come by pretty regularly to deliver stuff and I've never seen him before?" I'll ask them how they are doing or try to see if they are okay.  But this guy will disappear after asking for services never to be seen from again. And this isn't even Portland or Seattle, this is in the sticks.  Good luck getting an infected person that uses bike paths and public transport from county to county to isolate themselves or refrain from entering public areas of more than 250 people.  It just seems to me that since a lot of of these county level clinics rewrite their health care policy literally every year due to funding changes (and just practicality considering there is only so much they can do)  that this will be a major issue.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

I deal a lot with every day county level medical on the suburban and city level.  Just because of where I live and where my employment takes me..  A lot of intake medical centers here are basically halfway houses for services for people who are itinerant wanderers or between any kind of stable life situation.  I live in the a quiet little town but gradually just the amount of defunded infrastructure and urban sprawl has pushed the Portland Metro Area past the point where there I sort of urban boundary.  You will sit in a waiting room here and a guy with an entire sleeping bag and possessions will walk past you looking for services.  Then another guy in a poncho looking like he just got out of the cast for Mad Max: Fury Road will walk by asking for 2 dollars for a debt card.  Like... "how did this guy get here?  We're miles off the beaten path.  I come by pretty regularly to deliver stuff and I've never seen him before?" I'll ask them how they are doing or try to see if they are okay.  But this guy will disappear after asking for services never to be seen from again. Ant this isn't even Portland or Seattle, this is in the sticks.  Good luck getting an infected person that uses bike paths and public transport from county to county to isolate themselves or refrain from entering public areas of more than 250 people.

Sobering stuff.

The panic is really making things worse. The media isn't helping for political reasons. We will get past this, but in the bigger picture, sports takes a back seat. Can't wait for the warmer weather. Glad I am in Florida. I was supposed to go back to NY for contract work again in 3 weeks, but that may be put on hold.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Ken Schroy said:

The panic is really making things worse. The media isn't helping for political reasons. We will get past this, but in the bigger picture, sports takes a back seat. Can't wait for the warmer weather. Glad I am in Florida. I was supposed to go back to NY for contract work again in 3 weeks, but that may be put on hold.

People blaming the media is getting really old. The media hasn’t done anything to exacerbate this problem, didn’t cancel anything, etc. The media has simply reported facts. Period. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thumb Down 4
  • Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, 82nd Airborne said:

Cotsco.jpg

That's old news.  Went to Costco last week to buy a bunch of stuff for my invalid mother. Costco looked like a antiques boutique hit by a bunch of hipster parents during a free vintage Cabbage Patch Doll giveaway.

36 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Everything will be delayed about a month or so but every professional league or tournament will happen. There is too much money in it for them to cancel it. March Madness will be April Madness.

What I think you will see is the NBA and NHL reduce the remaining amount of games left in the regular season.  I think MLB will cut their games down to about 135 instead of 162 in order to keep their season timeline together.

The pro leagues might be able to renegotiate their contracts with buildings/tv and have a season (although it will be definitely longer than a month), but college is another problem altogether.  I doubt we see the tournament take place now.

45 minutes ago, CTM said:

For sure, but if warm weather doesn't slow this down most of us are going to get this and at this point based on updated mortality projections it looks basically like a bad flu. Obviously it's evolving as more data comes in.

There's also a huge cost to the panic and lost economic activity

While true, I say again, the reaction isn’t about ‘wash hands or die’. It’s try to avoid everyone getting sick at once, because while it may be a bad flu, it still requires care and treatment at scale. Scale we can not accommodate. So those that need care most may not get it, and mortality rate goes up. I think the economic and societal impact could be worse if we don’t prevent spread at scale. Hopefully we don’t find out.

Then the idiots will say, “see I told you so, it was nothing” when it’s the effort and responsible behavior of others that leads to it dissipating.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

While true, I say again, the reaction isn’t about ‘wash hands or die’. It’s try to avoid everyone getting sick at once, because while it may be a bad flu, it still requires care and treatment at scale. Scale we can not accommodate. So those that need care most may not get it, and mortality rate goes up. I think the economic and societal impact could be worse if we don’t prevent spread at scale. Hopefully we don’t find out.

Then the idiots will say, “see I told you so, it was nothing” when it’s the effort and responsible behavior of others that leads to it dissipating.

This

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Untouchable said:

I hope it is 

I can do without the Hollywood award show-esque theatrics.

If they don’t even want to have the athletes there and just do it the way they did it 40 years ago that’s fine by me.

Just have a representative from each team gather in a conference room and hand in the picks to Goodell.

I bet fans will end up preferring that.  But ESPN will push back and talk about how sad and quiet the draft was.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Doggin94it said:

Too much money at stake in the NFL. Teams will play to empty stadiums since the bulk of the income is TV money

Not if bans on public gatherings remain or become more severe.  Even a skeleton crew would be over the limits that are and will be imposed.  

56 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Taking precautions now to make sure the healthcare system isn't overloaded and we don't have to triage like Italy is prudent, IMO.

Doesn't mean there won't be several waves of this; but it's better than a colossal clusterf*** all at once.

At least that's what I hope they're thinking by being proactive.

This is the thing people fail to realize.  The public health measures don’t exist to stop it.  They exist to slow it down so the health care system can keep up.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Yes i get the wisdom behind slowing it down for multiple reasons. However, it has to be balanced against what is going to be a severe economic impact that hits those least able to whether it the hardest. 

3 hours ago, 82nd Airborne said:

It is a unfortunate but true reality. I predict the obvious, that all major sporting events will be cancelled in 2020 due to the Corona virus.  I heard that some football scouts are cancelling traveling.  

More to come for the NFL after Friday per link below:

https://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/nflpa-huddling-with-medical-experts-on-friday-618217.html

lol.

2 minutes ago, CTM said:

Yes i get the wisdom behind slowing it down for multiple reasons. However, it has to be balanced against what is going to be a severe economic impact that hits those least able to whether it the hardest. 

I don’t disagree. 

1 minute ago, nico002 said:

There is ZERO chance the NFL even considers cancelling the season until August. 

They have time on their side, so they can afford to wait.

MLB will be the next domino in terms of cancelling games.  But really, who cares.  The season is too long as it is.  Start it in May/June.  The condensed season would be fun.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

People blaming the media is getting really old. The media hasn’t done anything to exacerbate this problem, didn’t cancel anything, etc. The media has simply reported facts. Period. 

I respectfully disagree. The # of people with this as a % of the US population is miniscule.

It's not ebola. It's a bad case of the flu. In addition to "reporting the facts", the mainstream media thrives on a good crisis and is fueling the flames causing a panic.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

11 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

I respectfully disagree. The # of people with this as a % of the US population is miniscule.

It's not ebola. It's a bad case of the flu. In addition to "reporting the facts", the mainstream media thrives on a good crisis and is fueling the flames causing a panic.

The numbers are low bc they dont have enough tests to test people. South Korea is testing 15,000 people per day, China is testing 60,000 people per day. Both have drive thru test locations for the coronavirus. I dont want to get political so do a google search of why the US currently only has 75,000 tests available for the entire country. 

NYS  has contracted out to private companies within the State to develop tests and are bypassing the FDA and are getting tests rapidly throughout the State. The States are on their own.

• Upvote 1