Prediction: All major sporting events will be cancelled in 2020 (Update. MLB, NHL, NASCAR suspending, MLS, NCAA, XFL, Masters cancelled).

28 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

That's not how statistical modeling works

This isn't modeling the amount of people who call in sick after the Super Bowl. If you can't give an accurate number on how many people will get the virus, then STFU.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, genot said:

This isn't modeling the amount of people who call in sick after the Super Bowl. If you can't give an accurate number on how many people will get the virus, then STFU.

All modeling is a projection given the data available. 

Experts in this field will continue to rework their models as new data becomes available.

While it’s not worth freaking out over right now it is worth paying attention to current projections and to continue to look at new models as they’re put out. 

I’m saying trust the experts and don’t sh*t on the current models because it’s based on the best information we have right now. 

8 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

All modeling is a projection given the data available. 

Experts in this field will continue to rework their models as new data becomes available.

While it’s not worth freaking out over right now it is worth paying attention to current projections and to continue to look at new models as they’re put out. 

I’m saying trust the experts and don’t sh*t on the current models because it’s based on the best information we have right now. 

I'm sorry. An 80 million disparity tells me they need to wait until they come up with more reliable data.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, genot said:

I'm sorry. An 80 million disparity tells me they need to wait until they come up with more reliable data.

It tells me that regardless of anyone’s political beliefs, risk tolerance or skepticism, life will change, at least a little bit, for the next few weeks/months.

Act accordingly. 

2 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Bad flu ??? Dude ... Flu mortality rate is .1 %.... This is far worse in those terms

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

It's almost impossible to determine if this is far worse or not (I will concede that it is likely higher than .1pct). However, the mortality rate for healthy people and young people is next to zero. For the elderly and people with underlying conditions it's pretty high. I read that not a single child under 9 has died. So there are some good signs that aren't being reported. 

What we do know is that many people who contract Covid never get tested, recover and are not a part of the data. Right now, most of the people testing positive are people who get seriously sick (or were exposed to someone who got seriously sick) so obviously they are more likely do die thereby skewing the mortality rate.  Remember, we were specifically told to stay home if you have mild symptoms and NOT go to the Dr or the hospital.  

My guess (and this is all just speculation) is that the amount of cases in america is VASTLY higher than being reported but that also means the percentage of people dying is vastly lower than being reported. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Lith said:

So, it looks like my options for the weekend are English Premier League, or sitting with the wife watching Ghost Adventures, Real Housewives or Home Makeover shows.

English Premier League it is.  Go Tottenham Hotspur!!

An EPL coach got diagnosed, no shot they play 

9 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

It tells me that regardless of anyone’s political beliefs, risk tolerance or skepticism, life will change, at least a little bit, for the next few weeks/months.

Act accordingly. 

Without a doubt. Everyone needs to do the obvious to protect themselves, and the people around them.

17 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

It's almost impossible to determine if this is far worse or not (I will concede that it is likely higher than .1pct). However, the mortality rate for healthy people and young people is next to zero. For the elderly and people with underlying conditions it's pretty high. I read that not a single child under 9 has died. So there are some good signs that aren't being reported. 

What we do know is that many people who contract Covid never get tested, recover and are not a part of the data. Right now, most of the people testing positive are people who get seriously sick (or were exposed to someone who got seriously sick) so obviously they are more likely do die thereby skewing the mortality rate.  Remember, we were specifically told to stay home if you have mild symptoms and NOT go to the Dr or the hospital.  

My guess (and this is all just speculation) is that the amount of cases in america is VASTLY higher than being reported but that also means the percentage of people dying is vastly lower than being reported. 

I agree, many more people have covid 19 than realize it.  Its been going around for months.

But, in regards to the fatality rate, people with mild symptoms of the flu also don’t go to the doctor, and don’t get tested, and therefore aren’t part of that equation either.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Dunnie said:

At least people care about their own asses ... This is the toilet paper isle in the 3rd store I visited

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

a827fafe20f9856ab351b4fe74d9131b.jpg

is the thing i dread most if the apocolypse comes, lack of TP...     

( not even kidding)

Lots of unfortunate things going on.  One of the bad things just from a morale and psychological way for us is that our forms of entertainment such as sport, music etc are what we use to get away from the pressures or tough things of life (work, finances, family issues).

We watch  sports, music, art etc to relieve our stresses.  With these 'distractions' gone this plays on the human psyche even moreso.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, CTM said:

The funny thing to me is the same people wanting all of this stuff cancelled are the same people saying this is a huge issue because China hasn't actually curbed it and it will explode there once they re enter the world. ( i agree with this)

Either this is going to be dissipated by warmer weather or its going to spread like wildfire eventually once people get bored with staying home (or can no longer afford too do so

I can see merit to slowing it down until warmer weather arrives, but the current solutions aren't really going to stop this thing long term. It will just spike again once people reenter the world

Or there is a lull with warmer weather and it comes back in the fall/winter. EXACTLY like the 1918 Spanish Flu. Obviously what we know about influenza, antibiotics being available for secondary infections non viral, ICU care etc make it not the same, but it could be bad. 

Not you, but I see people making in political to even acknowledge it might be an issue. Oh well. Sometimes I guess humanity gets what it deserves. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Lots of unfortunate things going on.  One of the bad things just from a morale and psychological way for us is that our forms of entertainment such as sport, music etc are what we use to get away from the pressures or tough things of life (work, finances, family issues).

We watch  sports, music, art etc to relieve our stresses.  With these 'distractions' gone this plays on the human psyche even moreso.

Some of us are Jets/Islanders/Knicks fans. My stress levels will go down now if I don't have to watch them. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

The last I heard the NFL will go with it's March calendar which is free agency and that can all be handled by telephone, online, etc. There's no reason to cancel it. Or reason for anyone to have to travel. Contracts can be faxed etc.  As for the draft it's in April and it's not essential even though the NFL has made a big deal about and made a lot of money from it. It's now on network TV, there are events around the draft, etc. I can't see it being live in person with thousands of people. I think we'd all agree that if they can cancel the NBA, NFL, NCAAs they can conduct it but only on TV. They could even do it without the key players present. Do a live feed from their homes no parties just the kid and his immediate fam.  I actually like that better than cramming the kid into the green room and sometimes embarrassing them. Remember Geno Smith. 

50 minutes ago, thebuzzardman said:

Or there is a lull with warmer weather and it comes back in the fall/winter. EXACTLY like the 1918 Spanish Flu. Obviously what we know about influenza, antibiotics being available for secondary infections non viral, ICU care etc make it not the same, but it could be bad. 

Not you, but I see people making in political to even acknowledge it might be an issue. Oh well. Sometimes I guess humanity gets what it deserves. 

If I had to bet it dissipates this spring / summer and then we have a race between human ingenuity and the onset of winter. I think we figure it out. They've made so much progress so quickly.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

I respectfully disagree. The # of people with this as a % of the US population is miniscule.

It's not ebola. It's a bad case of the flu. In addition to "reporting the facts", the mainstream media thrives on a good crisis and is fueling the flames causing a panic.

Link? It’s a pandemic. The numbers in the US are going to skyrocket. This is very bad. Trust me. 

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, CTM said:

If I had to bet it dissipates this spring / summer and then we have a race between human ingenuity and the onset of winter. I think we figure it out. They've made so much progress so quickly.

I’m not as optimistic. I heard that the CDC hired Maccagnan and asked him to “draft” some plans for the pandemic. I’ll show myself out......

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

No, they aren’t close to being related.  

Yes, it is.  By saying it's nothing like the flu, but then offering nothing other than a very vast general statement is exactly what a "gross generalization" is.

I am not talking about the epidemiology of the virus.  The term "it's nothing like the flu" is absolutely one of those "gross generalizations" you were on your soap box about.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Yes, it is.  By saying it's nothing like the flu, but then offering nothing other than a very vast general statement is exactly what a "gross generalization" is.

I am not talking about the epidemiology of the virus.  The term "it's nothing like the flu" is absolutely one of those "gross generalizations" you were on your soap box about.

What was that nonsense?  

4 hours ago, genot said:

An 80 million disparity tells you there are variables in play that can dramatically impact the outcome. 

No more, no less. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

CoD Warzone just came out, re-upped my Live membership, I'm ready for the end of dayz!

8 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

I respectfully disagree. The # of people with this as a % of the US population is miniscule.

It's not ebola. It's a bad case of the flu. In addition to "reporting the facts", the mainstream media thrives on a good crisis and is fueling the flames causing a panic.

Jesus there is a whole lotta WRONG in those two sentences....

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

CoD Warzone just came out, re-upped my Live membership, I'm ready for the end of dayz!

I've been playing world of tanks a fair bit again, might go back to some of my fav older mp games like mass effect 3 multiplayer.

• Upvote 1