Jets Sign George Fant

Mo Lew

7 minutes ago, SR24 said:

So if the Jets really do believe in Edoga at RT and it’s not CYA or a smokescreen then out offensive tackles could actually be set for next year, hmpf.

most likely Fant is the preferred by the jets to be starting at RT in best case scenario with a rookie at 11 either starting LT day one or being groomed for it. Not sure if that means Edoga is just a backup swing long term. I don’t believe Jets EVER tried him at guard in last preseason which could be telling that he is not a Consideration to kick inside

• Sympathy 1

29 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Well Pauline called it, which suggests that Gase is changing up what we do offensively and looks like we will need players that fit the scheme. Not a lot of risk depending on how the contract is structured. Conklin was not a good fit, risky and overrated. Glasgow was a good target but there are some caution flags with him. 

Your right on, not a lot of risk, only $13.7 Gra.   

Not a "splash" signing, but a signing that makes the team a bit better.  Shell sucked

• Sympathy 1

35 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Note from wiki

On December 2, 2019, in a Monday Night Football matchup against the Minnesota Vikings, Fant garnered attention for helping the Seahawks rush for a season-high 218 yards in a 37-30 win. He reported as an eligible receiver on 42 plays during the game and lined up at multiple positions along the line. [

This is about coaching where football is going. The Jets will be a model of innovation.

This guy can play anywhere on the offensive line.  It’s like playing Sheldon Richardson at linebacker except for the offense.

Smart Think About It GIF by Friends

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Wonderboy said:

So Fant plays LT. Does this mean Thomas or any of the top 4 are now out the picture? I wouldn’t doubt it. Perhaps JD can resign Kahil for another year. 
Fant? Really? Fant? I just can’t.

Fant Lewis Harrison (G ?) Edoga

Holy sheet stain Batman ? 

Meh. I've already accepted the fact that we're the 4th place team in the AFC East next year, and probably the next few also. 

The Dolphins were about as good as us going into today, and they got better. They have 3 1st round picks and about 10 others this year. Next year they have 2 1sts and 2 2nds. Good luck keeping up with that in the next few years.

The Bills are in fine tune mode, and are probably ready to battle NE for the division next year if Brady is back, and win it easily if he isn't.

I get all the stuff about "winning FA doesn't win the season", but we needed desperately to upgrade OL today if we were going to be any good next year. I can't understand what the Jets were thinking by not addressing it.

I'm sitting here tonight thinking the Jets are concerned in the least about winning in Sam's rookie contract window. Today even makes me question whether they think he's their QB of the future. If they did, I think they would've been more concerned about protecting him.

Right now I'm trying really hard to think of a reason to care about this team.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

12 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Meh. I've already accepted the fact that we're the 4th place team in the AFC East next year, and probably the next few also. 

The Dolphins were about as good as us going into today, and they got better. They have 3 1st round picks and about 10 others this year. Next year they have 2 1sts and 2 2nds. Good luck keeping up with that in the next few years.

The Bills are in fine tune mode, and are probably ready to battle NE for the division next year if Brady is back, and win easily it if he isn't.

I get all the stuff about "winning FA doesn't win the season", but we needed desperately to upgrade OL today if we were going to be any good next year. I can't understand what the Jets were thinking by not addressing it.

I'm sitting here tonight thinking the Jets aren't concerned in the least about winning in Sam's rookie contract window. I'm trying really hard to think of a reason to care about this team right now.

The only way Fant makes sense is if we cut Winters, Beachum and Shell. Fant becomes The RT with Edoga serving backup role. That would be good depth. Draft a LT at 11, draft a WR in round 2, sign a G like Glasgow and resign Lewis. We can pick up a good prospect for Center in round 3.  FA just started but JD has to get busy. 
But 10 M per year is not LT money but RT money. So looks like that’s where he’ll play and he’s better than Shell or Edoga so there’s that.

LT Thomas G Lewis C Bladiez

G Glasgow  RT Fant. 

• WTF? 1

3 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

The only way Fant makes sense is if we cut Winters, Beachum and Shell. Fant becomes The RT with Edoga serving backup role. That would be good depth. Draft a LT at 11, draft a WR in round 2, sign a G like Glasgow and resign Lewis. We can pick up a good prospect for Center in round 3.  FA just started but JD has to get busy. 
But 10 M per year is not LT money but RT money. So looks like that’s where he’ll play and he’s better than Shell or Edoga so there’s that.

Beachum and Shell are FAs.

Glasgow is signing elsewhere, already reported

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Like others have said - he's not a .. starter or can be but he helped propel the Seahawks to the number 1 running team (according to wikipedia) and was used as a 6th OL player the majority of the time (even catching a touchdown) 

So this is a player you can plug in various places and make plays.. it's not bad.. lot of money but more must be done.

Anyway I'm ok with it...just my .02. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Wonderboy said:

LT Thomas G Lewis C Bladiez

G Glasgow  RT Fant. 

LOL, I love your optimism, but after today, how can you even comprehend Thomas, Lewis, Bladeiz and Glasgow? He's already signed elsewhere.

I'm done playing internet GM trying to figure how they will fix the OL. We care about it way more then they seem to.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Obrien2Toon said:

What a disaster this day was

so Conklin was 14 mil a year

and we get Fant at 10 mil a year 

wtf 

Conklin could have ruled the Jets out from the go, so we had no chance of signing him. Some people don't like NY or New Yorkers - can't imagine why.....

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

LOL, I love your optimism, but after today, how can you even comprehend Thomas, Lewis, Bladeiz and Glasgow? He's already signed elsewhere.

I'm done playing internet GM trying to figure how they will fix the OL. We care about it way more then they seem to.

Ok let’s go back to plan c

LT Fant G Lewis  C Bladiez G Harrison
RT Edoga

Playoffs!!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Would you rather nobody? LOL here we go again. the whining never ends

Fant is nobody, so not sure what you’re getting at with this one, Chief. Today has been absolutely awful and the last thing I want to be told by faithfully blind homers is “FANT IS BETTER DEN NUTTIN” 

yea ok.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, JetNation said:

George Fant

The NFL free agency “legal tampering” period is underway and according to Adam Schefer the NY Jets have reached an agreement with Seahawks offensive tackle George Fant.

Former Seahawks’ OT George Fant reached agreement with the Jets on a three-year, $30 million deal that includes $13.7 million guaranteed, per @JFowlerESPN and me.

— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) March 17, 2020

Source confirms this.

Biggest thing here: Just $13.7m is guaranteed. https://t.co/SojLa3YYDJ

— Connor Hughes (@Connor_J_Hughes) March 17, 2020

Some George Fant fast facts:

• Went to Western Kentucky University and played basketball for four years
  • Played football for one season as a tight end and saw limited action
  • In 2016 he signed with the Seattle Seahawks as an undrafted free agent
  • Tore his ACL in 2017 and missed the season
  • He has started 24 games as a hybrid lineman \ tight end in his career

The 27 year old Fant is listed at 6’5″ and 322lbs. He is going to be very raw because his football experience is limited. Joe Douglas obviously likes what he sees so the roster rebuild is officially underway. You can read more about George Fant to the NY Jets in our forums.

The post appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

O1585Tb0fsA

Click here to read the full story...

Biggest thing here: Just $13.7m is guaranteed.      Come on all you complainers....the price is right so stop your bitching.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Biggest thing here: Just $13.7m is guaranteed.      Come on all you complainers....the price is right so stop your bitching.  

But he is lousy.  I think people have the right to beef about us signing lousy players, ones actually worse than the ones he had before.

It sounds like a typical mac deal.  'Oh we can get away from this deal in a year easily', and probably will because the guy stinks.

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

But he is lousy.  I think people have the right to beef about us signing lousy players, ones actually worse than the ones he had before.

It sounds like a typical mac deal.  'Oh we can get away from this deal in a year easily', and probably will because the guy stinks.

From what I've reading he's a jack of all trades type player and a scheme fit for Gase.  Like it or not Joe D is building the team that Gase is asking him for:  athletic and can play more than one position.  

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

From what I've reading he's a jack of all trades type player and a scheme fit for Gase.  Like it or not Joe D is building the team that Gase is asking him for:  athletic and can play more than one position.  

In 2 years, when the Johnson boys finally sh*tcan Gase, he will leave smoking ruin. A bottomless crater. After Rex, Idzik, and then Gase, it will not be survivable for this broken franchise.  

monster zero godzilla GIF

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Fant is nobody, so not sure what you’re getting at with this one, Chief. Today has been absolutely awful and the last thing I want to be told by faithfully blind homers is “FANT IS BETTER DEN NUTTIN” 

yea ok.

51 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Thoroughly depressing.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

27 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

F*cking trash franchise. Top to bottom.

19 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I’m to the point where I’m questioning why I even keep up with them. Truthfully, I have nothing.

Careful boys, if you don't tow the company line, some goobers are gonna come in here and call you a 10 year old little b*tch of a child who needs to change his tampon.  At least that's been my experience.

4 hours ago, David Harris said:

3/30 with $13.7 mill guaranteed 

low guarantees = placeholder 

underwhelming signing but will be cuttable if improved upon 

This rhetoric reminds me of when Macc was making deals. 

You know things are headed south when the best compliments for your newly acquired OT is that he was a former basketball player and is athletic.