Jet Get Van Roten

SR24

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, flgreen said:

For all we know, Douglas may have an OT who the "draft guru's" have as a mid rounder at the top of his board. Outside of Pauline, the "experts" haven't done real well in predicting what Douglas was going to do in FA

Peart. He's long and athletic but isn't generating too much buzz.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Yup.  I am ready for Jason Peters on a 1 or 2 year deal.  

Fant  signed, I believe, because he was guaranteed the starting LT position going into camp. Bringing Peters in would send a bad message. I think he brings in RT to compete with Edoga and drafts LT in rd. 1
Is Shell  still on the team?

7 minutes ago, RVAJet815 said:

We can when it’s 7+ mil of salary cap relief. JD would do well to draft another body or two after he drafts 1 at 11. I love the peters idea.

He has no guarantees. Bring him to camp. What if 2 guards get injured during training? There’s no guarantee that they are able to get a guard they like in the draft . Unless we need the cap space, no need to cut him now. We can cut him in the spring. 

• Upvote 1

He has no guarantees. Bring him to camp. What if 2 guards get injured during training? There’s no guarantee that they are able to get a guard they like in the draft . Unless we need the cap space, no need to cut him now. We can cut him in the spring. 

That’s fair. I don’t think it will end up being in the team by the time camp breaks but it doesn’t hurt to hold until after the draft just in case.
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Fant  signed, I believe, because he was guaranteed the starting LT position going into camp. Bringing Peters in would send a bad message. I think he brings in RT to compete with Edoga and drafts LT in rd. 1
Is She’ll still on the team?

Shell is gone.  Signed with Seattle as FA.  I get that Fant was signed to have a chance to be a starter.  Don't think he has done enough to be guaranteed a spot.  He will get a chance to compete; if he is good enough, he starts.  Which is more of an opportunity than he had in Seattle being stuck behind Duane Brown.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

I understand why everyone is concerned with Fant at LT, but for now I'm going to trust Douglas. 

IMO his plan is, and has been, for Fant to be the stating LT on opening day.  Even if the Jets draft a LT at 11, I have a feeling he'll be competing for RT at the beginning of the season.

Spot on.   Fant has the athleticism to play LT

The guy they get at 11 will compete with and hopefully beat out Edoga for RT.   Edoga started strong last year but seemed slower later in the year.   Maybe a years experience and strengthening will do him good

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Not to rain on anyone's parade here but many of you on here said Van Roten was pretty average. I know nothing about him so can those of you who do - talk about his strengths.  

The thought they we can already field a below average starting OL is cause for celebration. Draft a OT and we might just be average. That seemed unrealistic not too long ago. We had a historically bad offensive and will have 5 new starters now.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Lith said:

Shell is gone.  Signed with Seattle as FA.  I get that Fant was signed to have a chance to be a starter.  Don't think he has done enough to be guaranteed a spot.  He will get a chance to compete; if he is good enough, he starts.  Which is more of an opportunity than he had in Seattle being stuck behind Duane Brown.

Hes getting paid 10 million and thats not to sit on the bench.   Unless he is getting Darnold killed he will be playing

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Not to rain on anyone's parade here but many of you on here said Van Roten was pretty average. I know nothing about him so can those of you who do - talk about his strengths.  

Good in the run game. But better suited being a backup/depth piece. He was the weak link according to Carolina fans. Looks like they wanted him back but not starting. 

3 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Hes getting paid 10 million and thats not to sit on the bench.   Unless he is getting Darnold killed he will be playing

Nah, it’s a 1 year gamble. The jets just ate 11mil for a guy to NOT be on the team. Best players will play.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, flgreen said:

I touted Van Roten from the beginning o FA.

He's very mobile, very aggressive, Doesn't take drive killing penalty's, plays to the whistle, team guy, with a mean streak on the field.  A good football player, and seems to love the game.

I'm real happy

Sounds like the guard God wanted Winters to be.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

The thought they we can already field a below average starting OL is cause for celebration. Draft a OT and we might just be average. That seemed unrealistic not too long ago. We had a historically bad offensive and will have 5 new starters now.

Sounds like an average to above average OL if we can get 2 top OL prospects in the draft …. LT and a Center.  McGovern can play guard which is his better position.  We'd then have some excellent depth as well. 

5 minutes ago, genot said:

Don't be shocked or upset if the Jet's draft Okudah at #11. If he's there, he's the best prospect at a position of need.

Hes a great player    I wouldnt mind him but prefer offense.   I think Douglas wants to build the line and give Sam weapons.   They cant fairly evaluate him until he has a little time and more than one target.

Just now, Bowles Movement said:

Hes a great player    I wouldnt mind him but prefer offense.   I think Douglas wants to build the line and give Sam weapons.   They cant fairly evaluate him until he has a little time and more than one target.

We could get Claypool possibly with our 1st 3rd round pick. Or Pittman. Jefferson still might be available to us in the second Rd. Claypool has the chance to be just as impactful as any of the top receivers talked about. His interviews will be key. He's still a work in progress as a route runner. The wild card in all this is Robby. can we sign him back????

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, genot said:

Don't be shocked or upset if the Jet's draft Okudah at #11. If he's there, he's the best prospect at a position of need.

he won’t be there and if he is I don’t think anyone would be surprised he is the pick . Dudes a stud 2nd best player in the draft That’s not a QB after Young imo. 

• Upvote 1