Douglas Ain't Taking a WR Round 1

Or at least I'll be surprised if he does. Why?

- Douglas seems to have a good amount of old school about him. And old-school types like a Parcells, Belichick - did they ever go WR round 1? I remember their 1st-round picks more along the lines of d-line, o-line, defense in general.

- His background: a former college offensive linemen, reared in the Baltimore and Philly personnel departments, teams that generally featured stout o-lines when he was there. 

- He's mentioned multiple times the importance of protecting Sam up front, giving his talented young QB the best chance to succeed. Such as here: “Obviously we need to have a strong offensive line. We have to do a good job of taking care of Sam moving forward,” Douglas said (https://nypost.com/2020/02/25/joe-douglas-background-shows-what-jets-makeover-could-be/).

- And here, also from the NY Post: Douglas must — and will — fix the broken offensive line, which needs at least three new starters in 2020. “The line of scrimmage is always going to be a priority here,’’ said Douglas, a former college offensive lineman (https://nypost.com/2020/01/01/joe-douglas-first-big-chance-to-rebuild-jets-is-finally-here/).

So I doubt JD goes WR round 1.

Another reason why, more ancillary: his biggest offseason WR acquisition Breshad Perriman - a complete 1st-round bust in Baltimore. Although Douglas wasn't there when Baltimore drafted him, that's exhibit 1 on his roster of a first-round WR bust.

However, If JD does take a WR in round 1, I won't be surprised if it's Ruggs. From the Post: 

The Jets offense, which ranked dead last in the NFL last season, needs more than just linemen. The unit needs some explosive playmakers, especially if it loses Robby Anderson in free agency. “I think you saw that in the two teams that competed for the Super Bowl this year,” Douglas said. “How many explosive players they had on both sides of the ball. Everyone is trying to get bigger, faster, smarter, tougher. We need explosive guys. We need explosive, dynamic playmakers.”

• Thumb Down 6
  • WTF? 1

15 minutes ago, JetsLife said:

- Douglas seems to have a good amount of old school about him. And old-school types like a Parcells, Belichick - did they ever go WR round 1? I remember their 1st-round picks more along the lines of d-line, o-line, defense in general.

- His background: a former college offensive linemen, reared in the Baltimore and Philly personnel departments, teams that generally featured stout o-lines when he was there. 

- He's mentioned multiple times the importance of protecting Sam up front, giving his talented young QB the best chance to succeed. Such as here: “Obviously we need to have a strong offensive line. We have to do a good job of taking care of Sam moving forward,” Douglas said (https://nypost.com/2020/02/25/joe-douglas-background-shows-what-jets-makeover-could-be/).

- And here, also from the NY Post: Douglas must — and will — fix the broken offensive line, which needs at least three new starters in 2020. “The line of scrimmage is always going to be a priority here,’’ said Douglas, a former college offensive lineman (https://nypost.com/2020/01/01/joe-douglas-first-big-chance-to-rebuild-jets-is-finally-here/).

Another reason why, more ancillary: his biggest offseason WR acquisition Breshad Perriman - a complete 1st-round bust in Baltimore. Although Douglas wasn't there when Baltimore drafted him, that's exhibit 1 on his roster of a first-round WR bust.

However, If JD does take a WR in round 1, I won't be surprised if it's Ruggs. From the Post: 

The Jets offense, which ranked dead last in the NFL last season, needs more than just linemen. The unit needs some explosive playmakers, especially if it loses Robby Anderson in free agency. “I think you saw that in the two teams that competed for the Super Bowl this year,” Douglas said. “How many explosive players they had on both sides of the ball. Everyone is trying to get bigger, faster, smarter, tougher. We need explosive guys. We need explosive, dynamic playmakers.”

Parcels took Terry Glenn #1

• Haha 4

Just now, long time suffering Jets f said:

If one of the top 3 OL falls to us and we take him its one thing, but so help me I'll lose it if we reach for the 4th best lineman over a dynamic WR like Jeudy or Lamb.

Wirfs is the 4th OT.  I’d prefer Jeudy over him

41 minutes ago, JetsLife said:

Against Parcells wishes Robert Kraft drafted Terry Glenn in the 1st rnd (aka "she", tho the Tuna grew to love him), you may remember that pick led to the Kraft/Parcells divorce.   Aside from that - Little Bill took N'Keal Harry in the first round just last year!

• Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, JetsLife said:

Bud

Perriman was not JDs biggest offseason acquisition lol. 

2 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Bud

Perriman was not JDs biggest offseason acquisition lol. 

Perriman is a one-year band aid.  If he pans out, maybe worth an extension. He's been nothing but a colossal bust but for a few games at the end of last season.  

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Perriman is a one-year band aid.  If he pans out, maybe worth an extension. He's been nothing but a colossal bust but for a few games at the end of last season.  

Agreed. I think OP is smoking the devils lettuce. 

• Upvote 1

I doubt we take a receiver. We know that Douglas is all about the OL (which is a good thing). The game us won in the trenches.

Even more convincing, Baltimore’s GM just said today that he sees starting-caliber receivers being found in the first 5 rounds.

Same school of thought...came up together in Baltimore. 

If its OL vs WR, it’ll be OL. The question is who is going to still be on the board when we zoom meeting into the draft?

• Upvote 1

Just my useless opinion, I dont feel like any of the WRs are worthy of the 11 overall pick,  It looks to me that there are about 10 WRs are are extremely close in regards to overall talent and what you get in round one, will pretty much be there in round 2.   What do I want?  I want JD to trade down, I want 5 picks in the first 3 rounds, 1 OT, 2 WR, 1 EDGE, 1 CB.

• Upvote 1

Just now, 14 in Green said:

Is that supposed to be a plus or a minus on Douglas’ resume?

Enquiring minds want to know...

It's an incomplete.  One thing you can't plan for is injuries and that is what primarily derailed his career the first few years.   It is not like Perriman was a reach where he was taken.  All the "experts" had him going about where he was drafted.