Douglas Ain't Taking a WR Round 1

4 hours ago, JetsLife said:

Or at least I'll be surprised if he does. Why?

- Douglas seems to have a good amount of old school about him. And old-school types like a Parcells, Belichick - did they ever go WR round 1? I remember their 1st-round picks more along the lines of d-line, o-line, defense in general.

- His background: a former college offensive linemen, reared in the Baltimore and Philly personnel departments, teams that generally featured stout o-lines when he was there. 

- He's mentioned multiple times the importance of protecting Sam up front, giving his talented young QB the best chance to succeed. Such as here: “Obviously we need to have a strong offensive line. We have to do a good job of taking care of Sam moving forward,” Douglas said (https://nypost.com/2020/02/25/joe-douglas-background-shows-what-jets-makeover-could-be/).

- And here, also from the NY Post: Douglas must — and will — fix the broken offensive line, which needs at least three new starters in 2020. “The line of scrimmage is always going to be a priority here,’’ said Douglas, a former college offensive lineman (https://nypost.com/2020/01/01/joe-douglas-first-big-chance-to-rebuild-jets-is-finally-here/).

So I doubt JD goes WR round 1.

Another reason why, more ancillary: his biggest offseason WR acquisition Breshad Perriman - a complete 1st-round bust in Baltimore. Although Douglas wasn't there when Baltimore drafted him, that's exhibit 1 on his roster of a first-round WR bust.

However, If JD does take a WR in round 1, I won't be surprised if it's Ruggs. From the Post: 

The Jets offense, which ranked dead last in the NFL last season, needs more than just linemen. The unit needs some explosive playmakers, especially if it loses Robby Anderson in free agency. “I think you saw that in the two teams that competed for the Super Bowl this year,” Douglas said. “How many explosive players they had on both sides of the ball. Everyone is trying to get bigger, faster, smarter, tougher. We need explosive guys. We need explosive, dynamic playmakers.”

The short version:

I have this feeling so I'm going to write a really long post full of obvious points. 

4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

No it was Kraft who made that pick and Parcells blew a gasket because he didn’t want him.  That’s part of why Parcells left the pats and coached the jets

Youre out of your mind if you think Kraft drafted anyone

I am so sick of hearing about how Parcells picked O line.  That fat **** left the Giants and Pats to "pick his own groceries" and he NEVER picked O line in the 1st.  His very first draft he traded down twice to pass on HOF left tackles for a light LB he thought would be the next LT -  a guy that wouldnt flourish until he moved inside. If we are following his model we are trading out of Becton and Thomas for D.  Maybe if we are lucky he will take David Loverne in the 3rd.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, JetsLife said:

- Douglas seems to have a good amount of old school about him. And old-school types like a Parcells, Belichick - did they ever go WR round 1? I remember their 1st-round picks more along the lines of d-line, o-line, defense in general.

- His background: a former college offensive linemen, reared in the Baltimore and Philly personnel departments, teams that generally featured stout o-lines when he was there. 

- He's mentioned multiple times the importance of protecting Sam up front, giving his talented young QB the best chance to succeed. Such as here: “Obviously we need to have a strong offensive line. We have to do a good job of taking care of Sam moving forward,” Douglas said (https://nypost.com/2020/02/25/joe-douglas-background-shows-what-jets-makeover-could-be/).

- And here, also from the NY Post: Douglas must — and will — fix the broken offensive line, which needs at least three new starters in 2020. “The line of scrimmage is always going to be a priority here,’’ said Douglas, a former college offensive lineman (https://nypost.com/2020/01/01/joe-douglas-first-big-chance-to-rebuild-jets-is-finally-here/).

Another reason why, more ancillary: his biggest offseason WR acquisition Breshad Perriman - a complete 1st-round bust in Baltimore. Although Douglas wasn't there when Baltimore drafted him, that's exhibit 1 on his roster of a first-round WR bust.

However, If JD does take a WR in round 1, I won't be surprised if it's Ruggs. From the Post: 

The Jets offense, which ranked dead last in the NFL last season, needs more than just linemen. The unit needs some explosive playmakers, especially if it loses Robby Anderson in free agency. “I think you saw that in the two teams that competed for the Super Bowl this year,” Douglas said. “How many explosive players they had on both sides of the ball. Everyone is trying to get bigger, faster, smarter, tougher. We need explosive guys. We need explosive, dynamic playmakers.”

That statement is like a dart board... just keep throwing them, you're bound to hit the bullseye. ?

Douglas played a key role in drafting our very own Brahsard Perriman in round one when he was with Baltimore 

Douglas left Baltimore after the 2014 season, went to the Bears for one year where he met Adam Gase then ended up with Eagles in 2016.

Perriman was drafted in 2015. I seriously doubt he had anything to do with that draft.

3 hours ago, Claymation said:

Douglas left Baltimore after the 2014 season, went to the Bears for one year where he met Adam Gase then ended up with Eagles in 2016.

Perriman was drafted in 2015. I seriously doubt he had anything to do with that draft.

He said he said so himself in his free agent press conference.

What we truly need are 2 picks in either the 1st or 2nd rounds. We all know the only way to do that is via a trade, or trade downs. My preference would be a trade to get 2 1st's. Get both an OT and WR, either Thomas/Wills and Jefferson, or Jeudy and Jones/Cleveland. Outside a trade, there's no real way of accomplishing getting 2 first's, so trading down is the only way to get 2 seconds. Late 1st could nab us Jefferson/Mims, and 2nd could nab us Jones/Cleveland/Cushenburry, and Pittman.

13 hours ago, JetsLife said:

Remember me?
oXdOFhD.jpg

• Upvote 1

imo if there isn't an olineman at 11 they really want then they will trade back and pick up one or more of the second tier guys.  i think picking a wr isn't out of the picture nor is picking a cb.  with regard to the wr's none of them is ranked as being off the charts good of course tyreek hill was a 5th rounder so who knows what the rankings actually mean in real life.

My preference is OL at 11.  Protect Sam and we will get the ball to whoever gets open. There are many WR’s in this class. So a 2nd rounder may not be the best but probably won’t be a bust either. The best teams in the NFL today more than not have solid O-lines. Plus it will make Bell more effective.

1 hour ago, freestater said:

...and then proceeded to take Keyshawn #1 overall. 

Kotite took Keyshawn in 1996, Parcells got here in 1997 inheriting the #1 pick in each round and traded the top pick away which turned out to be a Hof LT for a decent LB and other picks that failed

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Kotite took Keyshawn in 1996, Parcells got here in 1997 inheriting the #1 pick in each round and traded the top pick away which turned out to be a Hof LT for a decent LB and other picks that failed

While he might have been a great coach, he sure didn't know what type of groceries to buy...

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1