Draft Rumors

SR24

12 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

This has long been a suspicion.  I think Ruggs could be WR1 on the Jets board.  Similar to how a guy Josh Jones seems like a better "fit" at OT than some other guys, Ruggs appears to be the kind of player Gase likes.

I wouldn’t hate it tbh. Did most of his damage on the outside, pure speed demon but plays physical. Wouldn’t be the worst thing we could do that’s for sure 

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, nyjbuddy said:

NFL Draft Rumors: Eagles aggressively pursuing trade up for CeeDee Lamb

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2020/4/15/21222885/nfl-draft-rumors-eagles-aggressively-pursuing-trade-up-ceedee-lamb-oklahoma-wide-receiver-wr-2020

Surprised the Jets are not one of the possible trade partners with the Douglas and Roseman connection.

The fact no one has connected them is probably because they’re talking.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I’m sure you are.  But the reality is that they have a very similar grade when it is all said and done.  What is Lamb’s elite trait that makes him such a better prospect over Mims?   Juedy is a route running tactician, Ruggs has the elite speed and explosion, what is Lamb’s trait that supposedly separates him and makes him one of the elite 3?  He’s good with the ball in his hands, is that elite though?   

His body control, contested catch and YAC are all elite in my opinion.  His hands are probably the best of the "big 3" too.

• Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

His body control, contested catch and YAC are all elite in my opinion.  His hands are probably the best of the "big 3" too.

While I’m not saying you’re wrong, I do think that people have allowed a handful of “highlight” plays against airstrip big 12 defense to play far, far too big a role his evaluation. Take away the 5 sec Hurts scrambles-improvising plays out of Lambs body of work - and it’s a different story imo 

the tight route/timing receptions are more sparse. He’s the same guy last summer who had some development questions, which have magically evaporated in place of Texas gifs 

1) This is classic misinformation season

2) It’s very likely that regardless of whether the Jets go tackle or receiver in round one, there will quality guys at the position who fall to early round two. The Giants pick at 36 and don’t pick again until 99 (but have Leonard Williams I guess). Picks 36 and 110 are 614 points, 48 and 79 are 615. Nobody loses a pick, Jets still have 68, Giants spread their picks out a little more. Win win? We know the front offices will trade too.

18 minutes ago, Paradis said:

While I’m not saying you’re wrong, I do think that people have allowed a handful of “highlight” plays against airstrip big 12 defense to play far, far too big a role his evaluation. Take away the 5 sec Hurts scrambles-improvising plays out of Lambs body of work - and it’s a different story imo 

the tight route/timing receptions are more sparse. He’s the same guy last summer who had some development questions, which have magically evaporated in place of Texas gifs 

What are his development questions?  I'm no mocking you or trying to bait you or anything. I see a lot of people talk about his polish, and I guess I just don't get where it comes from.  I personally would worry about Moms transition to an NFL offense more than Lamb's, but that's just my opinion.

49 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

This has long been a suspicion.  I think Ruggs could be WR1 on the Jets board.  Similar to how a guy Josh Jones seems like a better "fit" at OT than some other guys, Ruggs appears to be the kind of player Gase likes.

F Gase.  I can just see it the jets pass on two better Wr for the speed guy.  Not saying Ruggs is bad but he is at least #3 wr if not further down imo.

If I hear one more 'We are taking lesser player A over better players B because of the gase system I'll scream.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

F Gase.  I can just see it the jets pass on two better Wr for the speed guy.  Not saying Ruggs is bad but he is at least #3 wr if not further down imo.

If I hear one more 'We are taking lesser player A over better players B because of the gase system I'll scream.

Drafting a player in round one specifically to appease any coach is a bad idea, but more so in Gase’s case because he doesn’t appear to be long for the job. 

• Post of the Week 1

20 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Like it or not the Jets will be running Gase's system for at least two more years. Would you prefer Macc's method of drafting where he never solicited any input from the coaching staff? The HC and GM should be on the same page.

There is no guarantee and it's probably likely that the better player B would provide less production than lesser player A because the lesser player fits the system and his skill set can be fully utilized.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

Like it or not the Jets will be running Gase's system for at least two more years. Would you prefer Macc's method of drafting where he never solicited any input from the coaching staff? The HC and GM should be on the same page.

There is no guarantee and it's probably likely that the better player B would provide less production than lesser player A because the lesser player fits the system and his skill set can be fully utilized.

They should immediately extend Adam Gase for 4 more years.  I am not joking when I say that.  If you are going to build a team to the specification of a coach he should be there as long as the GM.

I also think the part about mac is not correct.  He got guys like Darron Lee and Tru johnsnon and back to back safeties specifically for Bowles.

• WTF? 1

31 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Drafting a player in round one specifically to appease any coach is a bad idea, but more so in Gase’s case because he doesn’t appear to be long for the job. 

As I said in response to another poster, if Douglas is all in on Gase and if he is building a team to suit him then Gase should be extended immediately.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, nyjbuddy said:

NFL Draft Rumors: Eagles aggressively pursuing trade up for CeeDee Lamb

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2020/4/15/21222885/nfl-draft-rumors-eagles-aggressively-pursuing-trade-up-ceedee-lamb-oklahoma-wide-receiver-wr-2020

Surprised the Jets are not one of the possible trade partners with the Douglas and Roseman connection.

I feel like Jets are definitely gonna trade down with the eagles.  Douglas wants as many picks as possible and probably won't mind sliding down a few spots in the 1st to get an extra 2 & 4

That would give him 2 picks in Rds 2, 3, & 4. Plus the eagles first. Jets could grab 2 olineman, 2 WRs and a CB all before the 4th Rd where they would have another 2 picks.

I'd love something like this....

1.21. Justin Jefferson WR

2.48. T Higgins or Pittman  WR

2.53. Lucas Niang or Tego Wanagho T

3.68. Kristian Fulton CB

3.79. Lloyd Cushenberry C

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

They should immediately extend Adam Gase for 4 more years.  I am not joking when I say that.  If you are going to build a team to the specification of a coach he should be there as long as the GM.

I also think the part about mac is not correct.  He got guys like Darron Lee and Tru johnsnon and back to back safeties specifically for Bowles.

Come on. There's a huge difference between building a team to the specification of a coach, which implies that the HC runs the draft and chooses every pick, and having the GM on the same page as the HC and having them work together on placing value on specific players which fits the schemes the coaches will employ.

Macc couldn't confer with Bowles because he might as well have talked to a wooden indian. It was definitely the case with Gase and that just might have been a factor in Macc's demise.

We all know that Joe has said he values building the OL and IMO Gase also believes that it's easier to call plays when the QB isn't running for his life immediately after the snap. So I really hope we come away with one of the top LT's at #11. Hell, I hate trading up but I would be OK jumping ahead of the Browns at the cost of one of our 3's.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sirlancemehlot said:

You mean this DK Metcalf?  I think its safe to say he's an outlier.  Post a pic of 180 lb Ruggs beside it and we'll talk.

image.jpeg.4f4d1dcdffe51c9e5dfb66a8792cd140.jpeg

Body type has nothing to do with it.  The statistical argument was made about both players.  Wtf does body size have to do with it? And Ruggs is thought of as a much more posited WR than Metcalf. There's really no comparison in that regard. 

2 hours ago, SR24 said:

I wouldn’t hate it tbh. Did most of his damage on the outside, pure speed demon but plays physical. Wouldn’t be the worst thing we could do that’s for sure 

Slightly bigger, faster, more physical version of Santana Moss who I think we took around #16(?)

I like Ruggs.  His hands are underrated.  Dropped one single pass all season.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

What are his development questions?  I'm no mocking you or trying to bait you or anything. I see a lot of people talk about his polish, and I guess I just don't get where it comes from.  I personally would worry about Moms transition to an NFL offense more than Lamb's, but that's just my opinion.

This is the last time I'll post on this topic, because that this point i'm probably creating a profile as being anti-Lamb - and I'm not. At all... I just see a lack of finesse on beating man coverage. His routes are slow to develop and the tops are great. Some of this is a function of the offense/conference. I get it, .... But if you're asking me to pick him over Jeudy, Ruggs or even Jefferson... i dunno. If my jobs on the line as GM? 

Watch this game... Not gonna make a mountain out of a molehill, but this is interesting case study... especially in the 2nd half where he was single covered up top on the outside.... rather than free release inside..  My gut is telling me to take notice. It's been true to me so far. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Ken.jpg.d17e902f46e80278dd3057017ba521ac.jpg Days until the Draft

I am surprised that ESPN hasn't made a "84 Draft Parody" with all the bust QB's from that year.  Now it's kind of pointless but that would have been hilarious to see.  Make it like those AT&T or Heisman House commercials as a lead in to the draft.  Have Ken O'Brien constantly looking at a wallet picture of Dan Marino why he reads a daily affirmation.

7 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Slightly bigger, faster, more physical version of Santana Moss who I think we took around #16(?)

I like Ruggs.  His hands are underrated.  Dropped one single pass all season.

I’m in the minority but Ruggs might be me favorite WR out of the 3 tbh. Guys a big play machine but I love the physicality for his size he goes up for the ball hard. Also having him and Perriman on the field together is 2 guys with sub 4.3 speed which would really help open things up. If he’s the pick at 11 I’d be pumped,  really if we pick any of the 4 OTs or 3 WRs I’m pumped we literally can’t F*** this up lol 

• Upvote 4

13 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

So potentially, our board is:

Wills/Wirf

Becton

Lamb

Thomas

Juedy/Ruggs

Wills might not even be on JD's board with all those penalties 

let alone be on top of it 

he's the most penalty prone tackle of the big four 

there's almost no chance JD makes this player his first Jets GM pick ever 

it goes against everything he's shown so far in FA 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

No matter what happens during the Draft the one thing the GM always says in his first press conference following the Draft is, "We got the guy we wanted," "We didn't think he'd be there," and "He was our target all along." :P 

You never hear them say, "Ughh...can you believe it?  The two guys we wanted most were taken just before we picked.  Welp!  We got this guy now.  He's pretty good.  Let's hope it works."

LOL. Sounds like Gase to me!

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

there was a huge JD article about his scouting style and how it's not a straight up LIST of Rankings like everyone else's

he judges each player specifically for how they fit with the team  - that includes offensive system fit. Gase likes tall zone linemen that's a fact. He can't do anything with Kelechi Osemele.  And guys like KO can't do anything with Gase. 

note some guys like Becton and Ruggs are so gifted they will be considered scheme diverse i.e. there's no coach that would turn these guys away based on system. 

but JD can't draft like he's going to pick the coach in 2021, unless he knows that dude's system as well. 

fact is if Gase gets fired it's because Sam is a bust and we all have huger problems (again) than HC 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

That draft board was based off the long post that I refused to quote because I have decency.  Post #223. 

This is the second/third time I’ve seen you reference Wills’ penalties. Do you have a list (or link) that has the top-4’s by penalty?

5 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

This is the second/third time I’ve seen you reference Wills’ penalties. Do you have a list (or link) that has the top-4’s by penalty?

I went through the play-by-play for 2019 manually

this and his long arms is why Andrew Thomas is going to go top 5 btw 

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

there was a huge JD article about his scouting style and how it's not a straight up LIST of Rankings like everyone else's

he judges each player specifically for how they fit with the team  - that includes offensive system fit. Gase likes tall zone linemen that's a fact. He can't do anything with Kelechi Osemele.  And guys like KO can't do anything with Gase. 

note some guys like Becton and Ruggs are so gifted they will be considered scheme diverse i.e. there's no coach that would turn these guys away based on system. 

but JD can't draft like he's going to pick the coach in 2021, unless he knows that dude's system as well. 

fact is if Gase gets fired it's because Sam is a bust and we all have huger problems (again) than HC 

I just don’t think Douglas should turn up his nose at Wirfs or Thomas because Josh Jones might be a better zone blocker, presuming he has Thomas and Wirfs ranked higher than Jones. Even giving Gase the benefit of the doubt, he’s probably less than 50/50 at this point to be the Jets HC in 2021 unless Darnold becomes great and masks all the other trash parts of the team. The roster isn’t ready to compete for a title any time soon, and judging by the players they brought in, Douglas knows it, and that puts Gase in a bad spot where he’ll again have to take a meh roster to .500-ish or he’s going to take the fall. If they burn #11 on a player specifically with the idea that Gase is going to be here 5+ more years, that’d be a mistake, imo

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, bitonti said:

714 snaps in 2019, 6 penalties.  That doesn't seem penalty prone.