Draft Rumors

SR24

Here's an article saying the Jets are interested in Jordon Love?  Maybe they aren't happy with Darnold.  Probably tweeking the pats to move up in draft.

https://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/jets-interested-in-jordan-love-in-2020-nfl-draft-623593.html

At this point I wouldn't take Love, but I would trade our 2nd rounder for Nagkue.  It will take u cap space but you aren't getting a player like him when we pick in round 2.

• Upvote 1

WR Denzel Mims to be selected higher than some expect?

When I’ve done radio interviews around the country over the past few weeks, the host continues to ask me if I expect any surprises in the draft.  There’s one that continues to be a distinct possibility in talking with people around the league – Baylor receiver Denzel Mims could be selected much earlier than most expect.

One league source told me yesterday many teams look at Mims as the “complete package” at receiver, and why not? He’s sturdier than Jerry Jeudy and Henry Ruggs, faster than CeeDee Lamb and just as good coming away with the contested grab as Justin Jefferson.

Some relay the concern that Mims played in the Big 12, the same conference as Lamb. And while that may be true, Mims turned in three days of tremendous Senior Bowl practices.

So, where could Mims end up? I’m told both the Oakland Raiders and Denver Broncos are very high on Mims. The Raiders are expected to take receivers early and often in the draft’s opening rounds. And while the consensus has Denver taking Ruggs if he’s available, I’m told the team is just as high on Mims.

And while there is a belief that Mims could be selected earlier than most project, there is also an opinion that if he’s not chosen by the 26th pick, he could slide into the top part of Round 2.

• Sympathy 1

C.J. Henderson a top 12 pick?

There have been reports in the media claiming C.J. Henderson has passed Jeffrey Okudah on cornerback boards around the league. I’ve heard nothing to justify these reports but I can tell you this- several people inside the league tell me it’s looking more and more as though Henderson, rated as the 13th best prospect on my overall board, will end up as a top 12 pick in the draft.

Seahawks, Titans, and 49ers looking to trade down

Most everyone wants their favorite team to trade down in Round 1 and collect extra selections. So who’s looking to trade out of the first round?

As of now, I’m told the Seattle Seahawks, Tennessee Titans and San Francisco 49ers will shop their selections in the hopes of moving down. In the case of the Niners, I’m told they would prefer to move the 31st selection rather than the 13th pick.

The Titans are interesting, as they have been often matched with offensive tackle Isaiah Wilson of Georgia, who many believe is a late first-round pick.

Jets making the rounds via teleconferencing

What have Jets general manager Joe Douglas and his staff been doing to prepare for their first draft? Multiple sources tell me the Jets have been interviewing everyone via teleconference. And by everyone, I mean draft-eligible players on their board who they will select in the draft or sign once the seven rounds are completed.

5 minutes ago, King P said:

When I’ve done radio interviews around the country over the past few weeks, the host continues to ask me if I expect any surprises in the draft.  There’s one that continues to be a distinct possibility in talking with people around the league – Baylor receiver Denzel Mims could be selected much earlier than most expect.

One league source told me yesterday many teams look at Mims as the “complete package” at receiver, and why not? He’s sturdier than Jerry Jeudy and Henry Ruggs, faster than CeeDee Lamb and just as good coming away with the contested grab as Justin Jefferson.

Some relay the concern that Mims played in the Big 12, the same conference as Lamb. And while that may be true, Mims turned in three days of tremendous Senior Bowl practices.

So, where could Mims end up? I’m told both the Oakland Raiders and Denver Broncos are very high on Mims. The Raiders are expected to take receivers early and often in the draft’s opening rounds. And while the consensus has Denver taking Ruggs if he’s available, I’m told the team is just as high on Mims.

And while there is a belief that Mims could be selected earlier than most project, there is also an opinion that if he’s not chosen by the 26th pick, he could slide into the top part of Round 2.

I’ve said before that Mims will go before Lamb.  I’d take him over Lamb.  

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, King P said:

@DetroitRed

• Upvote 2

The more you read about how these guys are actually rated the more it should become obvious that the jets should trade back if the top 4 tackles are there, and maybe even if only 1 is.  The jets should be able to get a decent haul to move back to 16 and still get a good wr, rather than take a wr at 11.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, King P said:

Seahawks, Titans, and 49ers looking to trade down

Most everyone wants their favorite team to trade down in Round 1 and collect extra selections. So who’s looking to trade out of the first round?

As of now, I’m told the Seattle Seahawks, Tennessee Titans and San Francisco 49ers will shop their selections in the hopes of moving down. In the case of the Niners, I’m told they would prefer to move the 31st selection rather than the 13th pick.

The Titans are interesting, as they have been often matched with offensive tackle Isaiah Wilson of Georgia, who many believe is a late first-round pick.

If the Jets happen to trade down from 11, I could see them looking to trade back up into the late 1st round.  I had that scenario in the last mock I did.

1 hour ago, mudcat22 said:

Here's an article saying the Jets are interested in Jordon Love?  Maybe they aren't happy with Darnold.  Probably tweeking the pats to move up in draft.

https://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/jets-interested-in-jordan-love-in-2020-nfl-draft-623593.html

At this point I wouldn't take Love, but I would trade our 2nd rounder for Nagkue.  It will take u cap space but you aren't getting a player like him when we pick in round 2.

JetsNation would melt if the Jets select a QB in RD 1 or RD 2

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Jets Leaning Toward OT in First Round

The New York Jets sit at an interesting position with the 11th-overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft. There could be a surprising talent who slips beyond the top 10 of the 2020 NFL Draft, and the Jets have a number of options they could consider in the first round. However in speaking with team sources, they say that offensive tackle is the most likely selection for the Jets with the 11th-overall pick.

Right now, it sounds like the top-two candidates for that pick are Louisville's Mekhi Becton and Georgia's Andrew Thomas. They assume that Iowa's Tristan Wirfs and Alabama's Jedrick Wills will be off the board. Either Becton and Thomas would complete the Jets' revamped offensive line. They signed tackle George Fant, center Connor McGovern and guard Greg Van Roten in free agency.

Team sources say the Jets would pass on Clemson linebacker Isaiah Simmons. Safety Jamal Adams can play linebacker in the sub package, and the team has veteran linebackers returning.

If Oklahoma wide receiver CeeDee Lamb slips out of the top 10, he could make it interesting, and he might be the Jets pick if it comes down to him and Andrew Thomas. Sources thought the Jets would take Becton over Lamb if both are available. However, many assume Lamb will be off the board, and team contacts say New York likes both Alabama wideouts, Jerry Jeudy and Henry Ruggs. It sounds though like the Jets would prefer to take Becton or Thomas over the Alabama receivers. The 2020 NFL Draft is extremely deep at wideout, so some good receiving weapons should be available to the Jets with their second-round and two third-round picks.

The depth factor also impacts cornerback, because the Jets could use more talent there, but there should be some good corner options on Day 2 of the 2020 NFL Draft. The organization likes Florida cornerback C.J. Henderson, but probably would take Becton or Thomas over Henderson. Around the league,teams feel there is a much bigger drop-off in talent after the first four offensive linemen go off the board compared to the wide receivers and cornerbacks among other positions.

Jets general manager Joe Douglas comes from Philadelphia and brings along a philosophy of drafting for the lines in Round 1. Thus, it makes sense that New York is leaning toward taking an offensive tackle in the first round of the 2020 NFL Draft.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I’ve said before that Mims will go before Lamb.  I’d take him over Lamb.  

You should see the heat I’m taking in Twitter with Jets fans on this topic. The notion of not considering Lamb as potentially WR1 is... drawing much ire lol 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

You should see the heat I’m taking in Twitter with Jets fans on this topic. The notion of not considering Lamb as potentially WR1 is... drawing much ire lol 

There’s nothing wrong with lamb.  I think the issue that hasn’t really been conveyed by the mainstream is that the tier 2 of wrs isn’t really that much different from tier 1.  

If you ask me, would you rather the jets take a top 4 OT at 11 or trade back and take a guy like jackson or jones, there’s definitely a gap, despite the additional draft picks you get.  But if you ask me, would you rather the jets take lamb at 11 or trade back and take Jefferson or Mims at 16, that’ a no brainer, take the trade and the extra picks. 

• Upvote 2

The trend continues for me re mocks.

In mocks where I take one of the OTs at 11, at the end of the mock I have a really good looking mock.

If I take a WR at 11 things are never as good.

That last article once again shows there is ZERO consensus on the order of the top 4 tackles.  No one knows at all.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Don't feel too bad.  Saying the sky is blue will draw the ire of Twitter.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

In mocks where I take one of the OTs at 11, at the end of the mock I have a really good looking mock.

That last article once again shows there is ZERO consensus on the order of the top 4 tackles.  No one knows at all.

Welll....? What do you usually end up with in both situations? 

I figure if they go WR, they can go interior OL second. 

Idk where this notion that the jets would pass on Thomas because he’s the 4th rated tackle? I don’t get how in an offseason where there was only a combine with no pro days/workouts Thomas is projected to fall as often as he has been. A month ago we’d all be estatic if we thought we’d have a chance at him lol 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Welll....? What do you usually end up with in both situations? 

I figure if they go WR, they can go interior OL second. 

Quite often the 2nd tier of ots go before the jets 2nd round pick, then you are catching up after that.

The other way, I look at my 1st two picks and I have a OT i really like and a WR i still like a lot. 

Hey I like the top two WR but imo guys in the 2nd round are often closer to them than the ots there are to the top 4 guys.

At the end of the draft I still end up with two good Wr I like.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

44 minutes ago, Marshmello said:

Does he go top 20? 

Great question.  Mims is clearly looking like a late riser in the process.  I don't know if he cracks the consensus Top 3 of Jeudy, Lamb, Ruggs.....but I think it would be a very valid question whether he becomes the 4th WR taken and goes ahead of guys like Justin Jefferson, Higgins, etc.

All I know is that the Jets better address WR by pick #48.  I know WR is deep but that doesn't mean you should gamble and wait.  With our luck we'd go OT and then CB, and watch the Tier 3 guys like Pittman, Claypool, etc. all get taken before the Jets are on the clock again at #68.

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Agree. My mocks where I take an OT usually wind up with a OT, two really good receivers and a solid CB in the first 4 picks,

If I go WR at 1 sometimes you dont even get OT until the 4th with someone like Peart who is not a plug in starter.

What worries me is that some of the latest insider drafts are showing none of the OTs there at 11

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Agree. My mocks where I take an OT usually wind up with a OT, two really good receivers and a solid CB in the first 4 picks,

If I go WR at 1 sometimes you dont even get OT until the 4th with someone like Peart who is not a plug in starter.

What worries me is that some of the latest insider drafts are showing none of the OTs there at 11

What about taking a C in round 2? No? That works too.

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

I’m sure you are.  But the reality is that they have a very similar grade when it is all said and done.  What is Lamb’s elite trait that makes him such a better prospect over Mims?   Juedy is a route running tactician, Ruggs has the elite speed and explosion, what is Lamb’s trait that supposedly separates him and makes him one of the elite 3?  He’s good with the ball in his hands, is that elite though?   

• Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Idk where this notion that the jets would pass on Thomas because he’s the 4th rated tackle? I don’t get how in an offseason where there was only a combine with no pro days/workouts Thomas is projected to fall as often as he has been. A month ago we’d all be estatic if we thought we’d have a chance at him lol 

Exactly... We are at that point where everything coming out is a smoke screen... Or a smoke screen for a smoke screen. 

I'd be very happy if we land Thomas.  There is gonna be a lot of noise in between now and the draft. I can't wait for it to come and to see how we end up.

• Upvote 2